Sunbeam Cafe Series TA9400

Sunbeam Cafe Series TA9400

MPNs: STA9400 and TA9400

2.7

• Even Toasting Yes (3) · No (0)
Di

DiGoulburn Valley, VIC

Simply the worst toaster such a disappointment

I had my previous Sunbeam Toaster for 30 + years and it finally died. I of course purchased another Sunbeam toaster. This new Cafe Series toaster firstly is a replacement under warranty as the element stopped working it is so slow - takes forever to cook toast to a medium brown. On crumpet selection you have to do the crumpets twice for them to brown I have tried doing them on a higher setting but they just burn. The toast is also not cooked all over it is uncooked at the top and bottom. I guess I am so disappointed after having such a good run with my old sunbeam. I do not recommend and advise to a purchaser look at other brands.

Nickki

NickkiSouth East Queensland, QLD

Lasted over 12 years

Great toaster that has lasted 12 years! Has always worked well but I have just decided to replace this toaster after it not holding the toast down on one side. I’m feeling sad now.

Purchased for A$180.00.

DaveGSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best Toaster ever. Even after 10 years

I'm fussy about how my toast is toasted and rate this as the best ever. Evenly toasted bead, crumpets and also handles the impossible GF breads well. Its survived four hungry teenagers, and was purchased in approx 2009 and is still going strong. Now researching to downsize to a 2 slice toaster as the teenagers have grown and moved out, you guessed it, our eldest wants the toaster once we downsize...... (PS: I'm an electrical tradie so also fussy about build quality, its passed every test)

Purchased in January 2009.

Hi DaveG,
Thanks for the fantastic review! Hold onto it. Kind Regards Sunbeam

DaveG

Thanks but we will downsize to the Cafe Series 2 slice since I’m almost the one who uses it now. L

Tab10

Tab10AU

Lasted almost 10 years!

Browned toast, crumpets, muffins and bread rolls perfectly every time.
Bought from David Jones for about $100+
We have several Sunbeam kitchen appliances and they never let us down. Highly recommend Sunbeam.

Purchased in December 2010 at David Jones.

Hi Tab10,
Thanks for the great review! Kind Regards Sunbeam

Rel

RelDarling Downs, QLD

Disappointed - Sunbeam is not what it used to be!

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for resubmitting your review Rel!

RiffRaff

RiffRaffMelbourne

Very disappointed

Bought this thing because it appeared to be well made and looked good - after all - it's a toaster; what can go wrong.

Added benefit (still advertised) is that the heating elements are replaceable. Sounds good.

Worked fine for about 6 months and then it started to take longer and longer to toast bread. In the end it was dialed up to 6 and still would not toast properly.

Went to replace the heating elements. Can't buy them. Only sold to authorised repairers and only if the repairer installs them. Cost more than a new one.

What a waste of money.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

donGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

expensive for such a slow toaster

i've had duralits but thought i'd give this make a go. solidly made but the slowest toaster i've ever come across.for the price you would think sumbeam would have the best elements. obviously not so.going back to my duralits.they are miles in front of sunbeam.really sorry i wasted my money thinking i was getting something similar to a duralit.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Don. Sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your toaster. Please contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 and we would be happy to have your toaster tested by our quality team.

JeffMelbourne

Electrically dangerous toaster

This is a good toaster... but a dangerous toaster.
The first time I loaded a slice of toast, the elevator jumped off its rails toward the bottom of its stroke causing the elevator to lean over and touch the heater element.
Zap!!
I believe that poor packaging can lead to the knobs at the front buckling the elevator.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Jeff, sorry to hear of the bad experience you have had with your TA9400. I don't quite understand your description of the fault. Could you send us a private message to discuss further or contact our customer care team for further assistance!

Customer C.Sunbeam

Enjoy your new toaster Jeff!!!

BenImo

BenImoAuckland

Best toaster so far

So far have owned a Breville BTA845 and a Dualit architect and we have found this toaster toasts more evenly and consistently. The only negatives is the lack of a lift and look feature and it is marginally slower than the others, this may be due to its ability to accommodate thick slices (therefore a normal toast slice sits further from the elements)

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Bev

BevCanberra

Waiting for my dualit toaster to die to buy cafe series toaster

I purchased the cafe series four slot toaster for my daughter around ten years ago and love making toast at her house...best ever, so hot and evenly toasted, and fluffy inside. Don't understand the comments that complain about the time it takes to toast..sometimes a little more time will result in a much better outcome. A family of six and used every day, often more than just breakfast time. Hasn't missed a beat. This will be my next toaster.

Date PurchasedJun 2007
NZST205

NZST205Wellington

Typical Sunbeam Rubbish

Brought two of these (one for the batch) both developed fault within a couple of years, toast won't stay down, don't appear to be any service manuals available so spoke to a authorised sunbeam service guy who said throw it away, not worth repairing. Brought two king size Sunbeam Electric blankets at the same time (thought Sunbeam was a quality brand) controllers died within 3 years. Service centre centre said buy new controllers but get the cheaper manual versions as the electronic versions (supplied with the blankets) were not designed correctly and fail regularly. Will never buy another Sunbeam product - ever.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Well made. Reliable. Very very slow.

Date PurchasedSep 2005
383gki

383gkiSouth East Queensland, QLD

Slowest Toaster Ever

Couldnt agree more with all the other reviews. This is without doubt the slowest toaster I have ever experienced. I find it baffling how a company like Sunbeam, with so many years of experience of making electrical appliances cant make a toaster that is consistant and quick. Your irons are good - get the iron R&D team to make a toaster - and whoever has been in charge of development - fire them!!

It seems that the cheapest toasters (like you get at a motel) always work better than the most expensive and brand name models. I watched the elements in complete darkness and they dont glow at all. This was not a cheap toaster and we liked it because it made 4 slices at once. Absolute crap Sunbeam you must be able to do better.

Date PurchasedJun 2014
Brendan K.Sunbeam

OK but have shower while it cooks your toast

Have had this fancy Sunbeam Cafe 4 slot $200 toaster for ten years but I wished it broke as soon as the warranty ran out. Have two kids that love toast and the morning rush is made heaps worse while you stand around waiting for this thing to do its job.
Has been a good toaster but I would only recommend it to an old person who is looking to fill their day up waiting to pass onto that place in the sky where your toast cooks in under 5 minutes.

Christie

ChristieAdelaide

Disappointing

I really wanted this toaster to be awesome for our family, but I was left utterly disappointed. The first toaster we picked up the breadcrumb tray wouldn't stay in place. The second toaster the lever didn't work. I was determined to find a good one, so the third toaster - and still unlucky, or is it just bad design? The third toaster we have had for about 4 months and now the left lever gets stuck. The toaster toasts evenly, which is great, but it is just so slow and now defective AGAIN! I'm returning it today and am back on the hunt to find a reliable 4 slice toaster. I would have expected much more from Sunbeam especially for the price....disappointed!

ray m

ray mlaurieton

great toaster for oversize loaf

heavy construction but very flimsy running components. have had two in three years, first one failed with broken weld in slice carrier second failed plastic crumb tray lock broken, cheep! spares not readily available. only persevering with this model because we make our own bread and require the oversize cooker quite a heavy toaster

Absolute Crap

Purchased the most expensive toaster in shop,was assured it would last forever,just put it out in the rubbish,after a few years of mediocre performance.Just a heap of crap,would never touch another sunbeam product.
The lever doesn't stay down,I think it is due to a problem on the electronic board,it is to expensive to get
a service person to look at,so the only answer is dump it.

Not happy Jan

Purchased the toaster at Myers in 2011 and paid $200.00 to which I was assured by the sales person this was the best quality toaster available. So now in 2015 the right spring lever does not work. I have taken to the authorised repairer as per Sunbeam's instructions and he cannot fix as Sunbeam do no supply the spare parts. All this running around for a toaster is insane. I spoke to Sunbeam and they would not put me through to the spare parts department as I am a customer. Not good service at all. I will receive a 30% discount for my next purchase as a sweetener, but one would think for such an expensive appliance it would last the distance or at lease supply parts for repair. Not happy at all.

Bobster