MPN: STA9400

Best Toaster ever. Even after 10 years

I'm fussy about how my toast is toasted and rate this as the best ever. Evenly toasted bead, crumpets and also handles the impossible GF breads well. Its survived four hungry teenagers, and was purchased in approx 2009 and is still going strong. Now researching to downsize to a 2 slice toaster as the teenagers have grown and moved out, you guessed it, our eldest wants the toaster once we downsize...... (PS: I'm an electrical tradie so also fussy about build quality, its passed every test)

Purchased in January 2009.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi DaveG, Thanks for the fantastic review! Hold onto it. Kind Regards SunbeamThanks but we will downsize to the Cafe Series 2 slice since I’m almost the one who uses it now. L

Lasted almost 10 years!

Browned toast, crumpets, muffins and bread rolls perfectly every time.
Bought from David Jones for about $100+
We have several Sunbeam kitchen appliances and they never let us down. Highly recommend Sunbeam.

Purchased in December 2010 at David Jones.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi Tab10, Thanks for the great review! Kind Regards Sunbeam

Disappointed - Sunbeam is not what it used to be!

Sunbeam have been really outstanding on my matter below. They couldn't have been more helpful. Thank you, Sunbeam, you are ace in my books. They listened and replaced.... can't ask for more and were really quick.

"Our first Sunbeam Cafe Series 4 slice toaster was purchased back in Nov 2005 and was good for just over 10 years although the lift mechanism did become difficult towards the end and it could be temperamental on the settings, varying toast quality at times. However when it did finally turned its toes up and we looked around at the very unimpressive competition, we decided to go with Sunbeam Cafe Series, 4 slice toaster again. That was just under 3 years ago and today both lift levers have just failed. Not too impressed given the high price tag which should have said better quality. Your quality has gone down hill. My father sold Sunbeam appliances for many years and always raved about how good they were. We always only ever purchased Sunbeam."

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Thanks for resubmitting your review Rel!

Very disappointed

Bought this thing because it appeared to be well made and looked good - after all - it's a toaster; what can go wrong.

Added benefit (still advertised) is that the heating elements are replaceable. Sounds good.

Worked fine for about 6 months and then it started to take longer and longer to toast bread. In the end it was dialed up to 6 and still would not toast properly.

Went to replace the heating elements. Can't buy them. Only sold to authorised repairers and only if the repairer installs them. Cost more than a new one.

What a waste of money.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

expensive for such a slow toaster

i've had duralits but thought i'd give this make a go. solidly made but the slowest toaster i've ever come across.for the price you would think sumbeam would have the best elements. obviously not so.going back to my duralits.they are miles in front of sunbeam.really sorry i wasted my money thinking i was getting something similar to a duralit.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hi Don. Sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your toaster. Please contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 and we would be happy to have your toaster tested by our quality team.since writing above review i have had more to evaluate .i would add that whilst slow it does brown toast evenly. i like the way more heat can be applied to the holey side of crumpets to get it as brown or cooked as you wish. so slowness is my only gripe and i have got used to the slowness.all in all i'm happy with it.

Electrically dangerous toaster

This is a good toaster... but a dangerous toaster.
The first time I loaded a slice of toast, the elevator jumped off its rails toward the bottom of its stroke causing the elevator to lean over and touch the heater element.
Zap!!
I believe that poor packaging can lead to the knobs at the front buckling the elevator.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Jeff, sorry to hear of the bad experience you have had with your TA9400. I don't quite understand your description of the fault. Could you send us a private message to discuss further or contact our customer care team for further assistance!Sunbeam were very good about this issue and have offered a replacement free. Thank you Sunbeam. I think my unit was just one that was assembled incorrectly at the factory and missed QA. (The guide shaft is not in its hole.) A clever person could fully disassemble it and make a good repair.Enjoy your new toaster Jeff!!!

Best toaster so far

So far have owned a Breville BTA845 and a Dualit architect and we have found this toaster toasts more evenly and consistently. The only negatives is the lack of a lift and look feature and it is marginally slower than the others, this may be due to its ability to accommodate thick slices (therefore a normal toast slice sits further from the elements)

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Waiting for my dualit toaster to die to buy cafe series toaster

I purchased the cafe series four slot toaster for my daughter around ten years ago and love making toast at her house...best ever, so hot and evenly toasted, and fluffy inside. Don't understand the comments that complain about the time it takes to toast..sometimes a little more time will result in a much better outcome. A family of six and used every day, often more than just breakfast time. Hasn't missed a beat. This will be my next toaster.

Date PurchasedJun 2007

Typical Sunbeam Rubbish

Brought two of these (one for the batch) both developed fault within a couple of years, toast won't stay down, don't appear to be any service manuals available so spoke to a authorised sunbeam service guy who said throw it away, not worth repairing. Brought two king size Sunbeam Electric blankets at the same time (thought Sunbeam was a quality brand) controllers died within 3 years. Service centre centre said buy new controllers but get the cheaper manual versions as the electronic versions (supplied with the blankets) were not designed correctly and fail regularly. Will never buy another Sunbeam product - ever.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Well made. Reliable. Very very slow.

We've had a Sunbeam Cafe Series toaster for 12 years. And I've been looking for an excuse to replace it for the whole time we've had it. It was an expensive purchase originally. The toaster is seemingly very well made, with very robust construction. It's been unfailingly reliable with no faults or failures in the time we've had it. It even looks good after all these years.
The only real problem is that it's not very good at making toast, which is kind of the whole point of a toaster. It's very very slow. Even with the selector dial set on maximum, it barely browns the bread. Trying to toast frozen bread will take you at least three goes. When making breakfast, I'll put the toast on before scrambling the eggs - toasting the bread takes longer.
My wife has now treated me to a Dualit. So much nicer...

Date PurchasedSep 2005

Slowest Toaster Ever

Couldnt agree more with all the other reviews. This is without doubt the slowest toaster I have ever experienced. I find it baffling how a company like Sunbeam, with so many years of experience of making electrical appliances cant make a toaster that is consistant and quick. Your irons are good - get the iron R&D team to make a toaster - and whoever has been in charge of development - fire them!!

It seems that the cheapest toasters (like you get at a motel) always work better than the most expensive and brand name models. I watched the elements in complete darkness and they dont glow at all. This was not a cheap toaster and we liked it because it made 4 slices at once. Absolute crap Sunbeam you must be able to do better.

Date PurchasedJun 2014
Hi 383gki, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Please don't hesitate to contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 and one of our friendly representatives will be more than happy to assist you. Kindest Regards Sunbeam

OK but have shower while it cooks your toast

Have had this fancy Sunbeam Cafe 4 slot $200 toaster for ten years but I wished it broke as soon as the warranty ran out. Have two kids that love toast and the morning rush is made heaps worse while you stand around waiting for this thing to do its job.
Has been a good toaster but I would only recommend it to an old person who is looking to fill their day up waiting to pass onto that place in the sky where your toast cooks in under 5 minutes.

Disappointing

I really wanted this toaster to be awesome for our family, but I was left utterly disappointed. The first toaster we picked up the breadcrumb tray wouldn't stay in place. The second toaster the lever didn't work. I was determined to find a good one, so the third toaster - and still unlucky, or is it just bad design? The third toaster we have had for about 4 months and now the left lever gets stuck. The toaster toasts evenly, which is great, but it is just so slow and now defective AGAIN! I'm returning it today and am back on the hunt to find a reliable 4 slice toaster. I would have expected much more from Sunbeam especially for the price....disappointed!

great toaster for oversize loaf

heavy construction but very flimsy running components. have had two in three years, first one failed with broken weld in slice carrier second failed plastic crumb tray lock broken, cheep! spares not readily available. only persevering with this model because we make our own bread and require the oversize cooker quite a heavy toaster

Absolute Crap

Purchased the most expensive toaster in shop,was assured it would last forever,just put it out in the rubbish,after a few years of mediocre performance.Just a heap of crap,would never touch another sunbeam product.
The lever doesn't stay down,I think it is due to a problem on the electronic board,it is to expensive to get
a service person to look at,so the only answer is dump it.

Not happy Jan

Purchased the toaster at Myers in 2011 and paid $200.00 to which I was assured by the sales person this was the best quality toaster available. So now in 2015 the right spring lever does not work. I have taken to the authorised repairer as per Sunbeam's instructions and he cannot fix as Sunbeam do no supply the spare parts. All this running around for a toaster is insane. I spoke to Sunbeam and they would not put me through to the spare parts department as I am a customer. Not good service at all. I will receive a 30% discount for my next purchase as a sweetener, but one would think for such an expensive appliance it would last the distance or at lease supply parts for repair. Not happy at all.

Best Toaster Ever!

Tired of flimsy, tinny appliances, I forked out about $180 for this solid-looking toaster 10 years ago. I love it. So do guests at our house. Despite its robust appearance, I'm gentle with the levers, fearing that the lockdown mechanism might fail if I treat it roughly. The only problem has been the little plastic widgets that are supposed to retain the crumb-tray. One of them fell out and I lost it before I could take the appliance apart and refit it. Yes, it's slow to toast, but the result is excellent. I enjoy the ability to set each pair of slots to different heating durations, depending upon how 'sugary' the bread is. It's disappointing to see the many negative reviews of this toaster and it would be great if Sunbeam could take a good look at all the internal parts to make sure they match the robust, almost 'mil-spec' appearance of the external shell. After a decade of great service from this appliance, I'd purchase another in a heartbeat.

Unusable - broken crumb tray

Had been looking forward to having this toaster for some time. As soon as it was taken from its box, the crumb tray tipped out and, when pushed back in, would not hold. Neither the shop (DJ's) nor Sunbeam would help as I had mislaid the receipt. When I eventually found the receipt, Sunbeam repair centre said the lock on the crumb tray was broken and it could not be repaired because the lock is no longer available as a spare part. So I have a large brand-new toaster, totally unused, because I am not willing to use such a high-priced faulty product. It would be too annoying to have the crumb tray tipping out constantly. Emails to Sunbeam gave some hope of resolution at first but nothing has happened now for some time. Extremely disappointing. Destroys my lifetime confidence in the brand name.

Used every day for over 10 years and still great!

This is my second review for this toaster. has been used every day for the last 10yrs and never a problem. everything on it works perfectly. cooks all different types of bread, crumpets, muffins, pitta bread, gluten free, banana loaf!!! has never faulted once. the only time I've had a problem was when large bits of crust or fruit were stuck inside - then it wouldn't work till I cleaned them out. it has some fairly tough treatment in our family of boys. love this toaster and if it broke tomorrow I'd go straight to the store and buy another the same.
Easy to use, reliable, still great after such a long time.

Reliable toaster, perfect toast but a bit slow.

It does the job well as I prefer very dark toast very nearly crisp-bread but my wife prefers lightly toasted. The element is a fair distance to the bread which means that it takes more than the normal time to toast. So it could be described as a gentle toaster. However it does produce an even balance on both sides of the bread. Having owned it for 14 months now, it is still as good as new. The only problem I noted is it has lost some of the writing above the crumpet/cancel from wiping it clean and I think soon it will all be gone, so we will soon have to memorize the buttons. Cleaning the crumb tray is a breeze but it still requires a upside-down shake-out occasionally, (disconnected and when cold, of course). I also like the idea of being able to purchase a replacement element if needed.
Great individual toast settings.
Writing lifts from cleaning.