Sunbeam Cafe Series KE9600
Part of Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle  2.0 (164)

VerifiedMPN:KE9600
1.7

64 reviews · Statistics

5%11%84%

Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle › KE960064 reviews
Peiyu
PeiyuTASHobart, TAS

Not good

The lid could not open smothly when used for not very long time, then it became leaking just after the 5 years using.
Rob C.
Rob C.VICGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC
  KE9600

Leaking water, worst customer service

Kettle started leaking from water gauge. Though Kettle is out of warranty it still looks as new. Sent an email to sunbeam customer care. Received no reply. Then called Sunbeam and they were not interested in my issue even though there seems to be numerous complaints about water leakage.
This is obviously a design issue or poorly/cheaply made kettle even though it is worth considerably more than other electric kettles.
I will not buy another Sunbeam product.
arivalchick
arivalchickVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC24 posts
  KE9600

Leaks water and lid does not open

Upon reading the other reviews, l too am disappointed with the kettle. I spent alot of money on this kettle and made the decision to purchase it for its brand name and functionality. It now leaks water from the "window level" and the lid has to be manually opened. Spoke to someone is customer service and because the warranty period has expired, are not interested in the complaint.
Will definitely not be buying any sunbeam product again Show details
Sunbeam   DM

Hi arivalchick, thank you, we will take your thoughts on board.

Not happy Jan67
Not happy Jan67Sydney3 posts

Lid no longer opens

Considering how much this kettle is, I would expect the lid to keep working at the very least, however we are now unable to open the lid to fill the kettle. We have had this kettle for approximately two years. I see from older posts this is a common complaint with this model. I would reconsider buying another Sunbeam kettle and look at other brands that are much more reliable, given the price you are paying for this product. What a shame Sunbeam didn't bother to address this issue with the lid seeing it was quite a common complaint. I would not recommend this product. Show details
nerfherder
nerfherderPerth48 posts
Sunbeam   DM

Hi nerfherder, Sorry to hear of your experience with the KE9600. our feedback is valuable and has been passed on to our product team.

RonnyCraven
RonnyCravenNSWSydney Surrounds, NSW115 posts
  KE9600

Finally giving trouble after three years

I got the kettle from Myers to whom I had returned under warranty another make. Insisting I did not want a replacement, the staff actually suggested the Sunbeam to me with the promise of very little trouble AND gave me a generous discount, perhaps to rid themselves of a grumbling customer. This kettle has been a delight to use, looks good in the kitchen, gets compliments from use by visitors and, above all, is fast. Only this week has it glitched, the automatic shut off being inoperative. Let's face it, repair probably not worth it but, in spite of some of the comments here (Melting plastic? Really?) I will most like get another. Show details ·  2
M. Ali
M. Ali

Rubbish, dangerous - Sunbeam MUST be investigated for such substandard

This kettle was replaced twice. First time the lid stopped opening and the inside plastic started disintegrating with pieces being located inside the kettle. The second time we had the same issue, plus the handle began to heat up to burning point. Also the handle became slightly detached. I simply did not want to deal with Sunbeam staff again either as the made me feel like i had misused the kettle. Show details
Sunbeam   DM

Hi M. Ali We're sorry to hear of the experience you've had with the kettle and the service. Please do call again on 1300 881 861 and we will assist.

M-Life
M-LifeVICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC22 posts
  KE9600

Works perfectly except for holding water

Worked very well for two years. Love the variable temperature setting as I need a set temperature for my Aeropress coffee gadget. It looks great and I like the wide open mouth that makes it easy to clean.

2 years of use and it's started leaking from the transparent window. On close inspection, the window has developed very fine cracks which has weakened the integrity of the kettle. I came home and the contents of the kettle had drained into the base unit and inside the cupboards. Awful product, made even worse by the premium price it cost. Also bought a matching toaster which is average at best. I will avoid all Sunbeam products in the future.

harry
harryNSW3 posts
JillExplodingSpring
JillExplodingSpringSydney5 posts

Leaking kettle after 4 years

I was so surprised when my kettle suddenly started to leak........I'd left it to boil and returned to find the bench top drenched in water. The seal around the window showing the level of water in the kettle no longer doing its job. A kettle costing $119 should last more than 4 years! I love the design of the cafe series but I have totally lost confidence in the Sunbeam brand. If they are not able to manufacture a product to do its job then its not a company I wish to give my hard earned dollars to.

Wendy
WendyTASLaunceston, TAS2 posts

Lid failure

The kettle was great until the lid release started to stick within the first 12 months. It progressed to not working at all and needed to be levered open. Now after three years the lid mechanism has completely crumbled and the lid has fallen out of the kettle. Most concerning was the hard and sharp bits of plastic that would fall into the kettle which my husband almost swallowed. Considering the price I expected better from Sunbeam. I notice three things:

1. Many complaints about the same problem

2. Made in China

3. Now discontinued

Sunbeam should have a product recall and replace these faulty kettles.

gruntre69WAPerth, WA13 posts

Failed after 2 years - Dissapointing

As per others, we were happy enough with this kettle and is quietness. After near 3 years the lid hinge mechanism crumble and failed. Still works but lid is a pain.

As usual in the modern world, manufacturers claims of quality are pure rubbish. These companies deliberately build in redundancy. It is a disgrace!

Cazzy
CazzyNSWSydney, NSW2 posts
  KE9600

A kettle should not leak

I can't tell when i bought it as the reciept is faded but so disappointed it leaks :( for an appliance with only one function im gutted its crap

Its leaked all over my benchtop abd i don't know whether to tale the reciept into david Jones to decipher or to call the acc about advice about products lasting a reasonable amount of time

Fixaupper
Fixaupper2 posts
  KE9600

Can be fixed! It was expensive and a good kettle but mine leaked after 3 years of use

They all seem to leak around the casing and glass level indicator. After some research I went to bunnings and bought some food safe clear sealant (the stuff that needs turps to clean up) it can cope up to over 200 degrees celcius. I put a very small bead around the metal glass join and then used a blade to clean off the excess. 24 hours later. You cannot see ANY repair and it worked completely. Very happy again.

Tommy
Tommy

Not worth buying

Original purchase Dec'14 - Harvey Norman replaced July'15 after digital display mostly not working - now replacement kettle digital display rarely working & kettle has also started making long 'beeping' sound - rang Sunbeam & was told by the very helpful Katherine that Warranty period is 12 mths & basically end of story. Previous & less expensive kettles have lasted much longer than either of these.