Sunbeam SecretChef Electronic 5.5L

Sunbeam SecretChef Electronic 5.5L

HP5590 and HP5580

Disappointed!

After a great start and lovely even slow cooking, the appliance started to fail about 6 months after the Warranty period ended. Seems to be an issue with the electronics. I contacted Sunbeam but they weren't interested in helping as it was out of the 12 month warranty period. I had expected the appliance to last for years, and am very disappointed. I've made a complaint via NSW Fair Trading and will steer clear of Sunbeam products from now on.

Hi Alipoo, sorry to hear.

Another one bites the dust

Have had this slow cooker 2 years and have used it about 20 times. As stated in lots of other reviews, the electronic panel on our cooker now doesn't work. Sunbeam have damaged their reputation with us on this one; we won't be buying another. Sunbeam should not continue selling this product with this very common fault.

Purchased in October 2017 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store for $89.00.

Hi GA8611, Thank you for your feedback. We do take it seriously and ensure it is passed on to our product team. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Just shorted out my unit!!!

My slow cooker was amazing until the front panel casing decided to disintegrate on the inside and now the whole bit is hanging loose and when I turned it on it flicked my electrical safety switch, I realise its now 3 years old but the fact it is only used in cooler months and I live in QLD that's not so often and that it is kept in a cupboard how the casing can do that is beyond me. Very dangerous if I was not at home like all slow cookers are really designed for.

Purchased in September 2016 for $80.00.

Hi The Armsstones, We are very sorry to hear about your experience with your slow cooker. Please be assured all customer feedback is taken seriously and your comments will be forwarded on to our development and technology teams.

Failure and no spare electronic module

The slow cooker worked great, just one problem the electronic module has failed, it’s 3 years old. As an electrician I’m very disappointed the electronics module is not available as a spare part. We are going to dump this one and buy another brand.

Purchased in June 2016.

Hi Greg A, Sorry to hear of your experience with your slow cooker. We do take feedback seriously and I will be sure to pass this onto our design and tech teams.

Don't waste your money!

I bought an HP5590 in December 2016. Within the first year the digital display failed and the unit was replaced under the 12 month warranty. The digital display in the replacement unit has also failed. In addition, there is an issue with the unit intermittently turning off shortly after being turned on when selecting the temperature and cooking hours.
I contacted Sunbeam who advised that the 12 month warranty is only valid from the original purchase date, so the replacement unit isn't covered even if it less than 12 months' old.
Buy another brand and don't waste your money on this Sunbeam product!

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Sarah. Sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced. It concerns me that you have had 2 units with the same issue. This is one of our biggest selling and most popular slow cookers so it's disappointing to hear of your experience. Please contact us on 1300 881 861 and we would be happy to supply you with a replacement if you are willing to try it again. Alternatively, please send us a private mail with your contact details.Hi Sunbeam, thank you for replacing the unit.

Not good

I have had this slow cooker for 5 months, it worked well for 2 months then it started to burn the sides and dry out the tops of the meals. I even put a timer on the plug and set it to come on To low a3 hours before I get home and it is still as bad as what it was when leaving it in all day. Not recommended, as it should be called a fast cooker not slow cooker!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Sorry to hear of the issues you are having. Please call our customer care team on 1300 881 861for assistance.

Display becomes fault over time

Sunbeam kindly replaced my first sunbeam slow cooker hp 5590 when the display unit stopped working as it was less than a year old. The replaced slow cooker's display unit now stopped working, sadly its out of warranty, its 2 years old. I only use it once a month (if that), so have to say not impressed. Anyone else experienced this ? or any suggestion on a new one to buy with no display unit. I hate waste and the environmental impact of disposing of two in 3 years !

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Hi molly, Sorry to hear about the display function. Please call our Customer Care team to discuss further on 1300 881 861

Fade out

Agree with the the Stoka on this problem Cant fault the cooking results. Easy to use however the letters have all faded and the led board has crashed so its a hit and miss when programming the time. Anybody know if led boards are available as spare parts or should I just purchase a new one. Different make maybe?

Date PurchasedMay 2017

So easy, love it!

This is a 5.5 Lt machine, so it's quite large therefore it's great for freezing leftovers! The setting are very reliable, I always coat the meat first in a little flour and seal it slightly in a fry pan. Then everything goes in. I do check on it to make sure there is enough water as recipes vary, we all know that. Once I'm happy with the consistency, I can go out for a few hours & come home to a beautiful smelling home & delicious dinner for the family. It's easy to clean, looks great & has a home near my cupboard door! I always look forward to the cooler months so Ii can explore the many options possible with this machine!

Date PurchasedJun 2015
Thanks for the great review Cat!! Our resident home economist Jill will be delighted to see your tip on flouring and searing meats first as she is forever telling us this is a necessity!!Oops! Sorry for my typos! I made Indian Rich Beef Curry in my trusty Sunbeam slow cooker yesterday, within a couple of hours the divine aroma wafted through our home. Dad could barely wait to try it. When my mother came home she called out 'Wow!', the entire 2 storey home smelt delicious, 5 stars I received plus we have enough leftovers for tonight Clean up was a breeze too! Thank you Sunbeam!Sounds great Cat!!! Now you're making me hungry!! Feel free to send some of the leftovers to Sunbeam LOL!!!

Rubbish rippoff

Label writing on buttons wears off within a month so you do not know how to use item and now digital timer is losing letters and it seems from other reviews this will not last long . Sunbeam is a company that has no shame in making a product last for only a year .

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Hey The Stoka.....sorry to hear about the decals on the slow cooker, give us a call on 1300 881 861 and the guys in the team may be able to assist you

Control panel fell off.

I was really happy with this slow cooker which I bought in April 2017. I used it about 20 times last winter. When I took it out of the cupboard recently the control panel had fallen off; was hanging by a couple of wires and dangerous to use. I rang Sunbeam and the girl gave me a reference number and told me to take it back to David Jones for a replacement, even though it was 2months out of warranty. Luckily I had kept my receipt. DJ’s didn’t have any similar models in stock, but gave me a refund. Was surprised that this cooker broke down so quickly. I had looked after it and there’s no reason the plastic control panel should have perished. Won’t buy the same brand again.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hi Debbie, apologies for the issue you had with your slow cooker. I can assure you that the issue you experienced is an anomaly and not one we have seen before. Sunbeam takes great pride in its quality assurance processes and we are very grateful for this important feedback. We are glad to see that DJs assisted you outside of the warranty period and we hope that you can support the Sunbeam brand again in the future.

Timer lasts less than a year

We purchased our original slow cooker in May 2016, and it was working perfectly fine through most of the year. We use it mostly in winter and only occasionally in summer (probably no more than 15 times). Around June/July we noticed the timer would switch itself off while setting the time. We emailed Sunbeam who were actually great with replacing the unit despite being past 12 months.

However, less than 12 months later (9 months), we're having the same issue with the timer (after about 12-15 meals). I have contacted Sunbeam again today and I'm now just waiting for their reply. I vaguely recall them saying at the time, that the replacement won't be replaced if there's an issue...!

The features of this slow cooker are basic, but good, when it works. We liked the option of having High and Low as well as Warm. We put ours on overnight, so when the timer ends early in the morning, the warmer kicks in and stays on for up to 6hrs. It would be good to be able to turn this feature off so the food has cooled when we wake up to be able to put it in the fridge.

So if you're into replacing your slow cooker every 12 months or less, then this is the one to buy. I think we'll go back to a basic slow cooker with no special features and just use a 24hr plug in timer. Avoid this slow cooker.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

THIS SLOW COOKER HAVE A USED BY DATE?, & FEW NUMBER OF TIMES YOU CAN ONLY USE IT?

We have used this slow cooker a few times (around 5 times) and the meat cooked was good, there were about a few months gaps in between uses. We have been cleaning it properly and storing it back in its original box every after use. now on its past warranty period when we tried to use it, the control panel does not turn on, it just flickers trying to,I've been searching for the control board part on the net but could not find one,I am a lic sparky,have checked the other electrical parts e.g. heater element &, TRiAC it was OK, the chip on the main board is not responding for the wake up signal, there is no thermal insulation between the the main board and the heater wall except for the plastic box housing it, probably why the chips performance decays and eventually die. ATTN SUNBEAM - this product would last longer if you would put insulation to protect the main board and the chip.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Lasts as long as the Warranty!

Used 3 successful Times over 12mnths. Got it out this morning to use 4th Time. Wont turn on. Not accepting Power at all. Various attempts to re plug - alter point being used -all failed. Slow Cooker is an essential Kitchen Appliance for me and this one was a Waste of $........ My previous Sunbeam Cooker lasted 8 years. This one seems like it was built to last to the 12 mnth Warranty. Wont give Sunbeam another chance to disappoint.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Perfect size and cooks well

Great product. Cooks evenly and is very easy to clean. Perfect size and love the timer feature. The warm setting is perfect temp to keep it warm and does not dry out meals. Only problem is the power chord! if I move the slow cooker the chord can easily fall out of machine resulting in turning the machine off.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Slow Cooker for Everyone

This slow cooker works the same as all other slow cookers that I have tried in recent years. It is much cheaper than some of the other brands but that does not mean it does not perform as well. It is a breeze to clean and has a black bowl which does not show the dark lines like the white ones do. I love it.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Very useful item.

The first one took over 24 hrs to cook a simple stew, so I had it replaced. The replacement works according to time predictions and is quite satisfactory. It is quite easy to clean with a removable bowl and lid. Meat is certainly more tender when cooked in this appliance.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Love it

I have had a few slow cookers over the years but this is by far the best I have had. I love it.
Seriously if you are in the market for a good reliable cheap and easy to use slow cooker this is the one for you. I promise you will love it.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great model

Very easy to turn on and leave to simmer for a few hours without having to check for water shortage, so easy to use and convenient, good for a my favourite stew.
Just turn on and forget until ready to eat, also keeping warm for a long time.
Instructions are easy to use and pretty easy to clean.
Very pleased with the latest slow cooker, great product, just I wish price could be lower.
Strong 4 stars.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

This is ok

I am happy with cooking results but decided a multi cooker suits my needs. Ether . Easy too clean. The features are ok but I find its far slower than my multi cooker . On the upisde I can put it on earlier and it’s cooked at tea time not afternoon tea time

Date PurchasedFeb 2015