Suzuki DR-Z400E

Suspension
Fuel Efficiency
Comfort
Handling
See the Best Enduro Bikes in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

John S.
John S.

Solid Bike for the Farm

I bought one of these cause my knees aren't what they used to be. I need it to get around our 10,000 acre farm. Before this I was using a quad which worked well but with farm hands on, I no longer need to lug the equipment around so instead chose a 2 wheeler. I must say, it's been a dream. Great ride comfort, the elec start is a joy and the bike is easy to handle. A nice wide saddle also meant my backside wasn't hammered by the corrugations in our roads. Show details
JackoQLDWide Bay-Burnett, QLD8 posts

ducks guts

had the DR650 now got the DRZ400E 2022 , absolutley love it . great value for money , very reliable , tough as guts and looks the goods . you can buy absoutely everything then some more to customise these beasts . YOU KNOW YOU WANT ONE ! garn git it son ! great on the beach , slap on a rod holder . Show details
Overall
Performance
Jacob
JacobNSWSydney, NSW9 posts

The thing doesn't stop ever

Have taken it thru hard enduro, the occasional ride to work and through trails and haven't yet found anything to stop.

Just dont put the thing anywhere near a highway. The gearing is more tailored for the trails. It can be fixed but I find the stock gearing good for the tight single trails.

Would also be nice if it came with a rad fan. But there's definitely no shortage of parts or mods.

Chris S.
Chris S.NSWHunter Region, NSW9 posts

Best bang for your buck

The mighty DRZs are popular for a reason. They're cheap, reliable and do everything reasonably well. They are a light weight dual-sport with hundreds of mods available on the net. There is nothing outstanding about them, but reasonable everything that gives you great bang for your buck whether you are trail riding or adventure riding. There is nothing else that offers better value in a light weight package for the money. Show details
Overall
Performance
The Gill Man
The Gill ManNSWSydney, NSW11 posts

The Swiss army knife of duel sports

The DRZ400E is as reliable as they come. Yes, not perfect by any means but will get you there and back.

All of the fixes can be found on thumper talk but there are not that many anyway.

Buy a set of supermoto 17" wheels and you have two bikes in one.

Various sprockets are needed for the street and dirt.

Only 40hp but long service intervals mean more riding and less wrenching.

Cheap to buy, registration and insurance.

So many after market parts that it can be customised for everyone's needs.

Every bikes a compromise but this one ticks most of the boxes.

Matt
MattAU9 posts

The bike that does all. :) 2007 Modal

What a fun bike. :)

Take it offoad, beach, Mud, to work, around town. No worries.

Starts first time,all the time. :) My 2006 KLX250 took a little bit of effect to start on cold starts. Drz justs goes.

I bought aftermarket seat (seat concepts) as i do a bit of highway too. Changed gearing to 15/47 to 15/44 and love it. The stock gearing if fine, but sits better on highway with 44t rear. I also added lightbar, rad guards..etc

Bought it with 5,000kms, now has 12,000kms. :) No issues, just servicing..etc

Still own it, and love it. :)

Phillip
PhillipNSWSydney Surrounds, NSW16 posts
Chris P
Chris PSAMetropolitan Adelaide, SA39 posts

Andrew L
Andrew LNSWSydney, NSW5 posts

A cheap and reliable ride

I've owned my DRZ for over a year now and still thoroughly enjoy riding it when I get the chance.

The bike is a great piece of machinery, it can handle short journeys on the road easily and will still be able to tackle most off road use. I've spent a lot of time working on and with this bike, it's a great bike for beginners although you might find it a bit tall if you're under 5'9".

Liberty
LibertyWAGreat Southern, WA7 posts

David Clift
David CliftAdelaide S. A.8 posts

Only problem for me is a hard seat

I've had the bike just over a year with no problems, the only problem I can say is the seat is a bit narrow and I get numb nuts after a ride, but really it's a nice bike. The only thing that I had to do was put a 1 tooth bigger sprocket on the front that has stopped it revving too hard at 60 kms.

Gary C
Gary C10 posts

Great bike

I know they're not KTMs or any of the sought after European style bike, but they're great fun, inexpensive & very reliable.

The rear suspension probably lets it down if it had to nit-pick, but it's easily rectified.

Looking forward to doing some bush trips in the Flinders Ranges & beyond.

Steve . Plumber
Steve . Plumber5 posts

Bungle
Bungle70 posts

Great compromise between highly strung and low maintenance

Great bike as per other reviews. A decent yet low maintenance (but slightly heavy) enduro bike. Just make sure you get the suspension properly sorted to suit your weight. Standard settings are for a 73kg rider and way too soft for most riders. Lots of aftermarket parts to customise and it has been in production for 17 years and counting. Post 2005 have had the bugs ironed out.

Bobby Downing
Bobby Downing86 posts

רועי ג.
רועי ג.

I have an dr z 400s 2000

Yesterday I was riding on the road as usual, and I went into fifth gear and tried to accelerate but I couldn't rise RPM. All that happened was a backfire.

as soon as I engaged the clutch the rpm was able to rise as usual... a few days ago this did not happen to me

I tried to adjust the carburetor but it didn't help, I tried refueling, I checked the air filter. I didn't find anything. What to try next?

loopy
loopy

Price of DRZ400

$11390 new Australian

John B.
John B.

Hi there,
I'm thinking of buying a 2022 Drz400e, what are the servicing times that is recommended for the bike?

Jacko

mate good forum full of blokes with better knowledge than myself https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/561702-drz-maintenance/

Extra Information