Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Trekker

Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Trekker (2006-2008)

See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

An expensive throw away car

Bought a 2006 with less than 180, 000 kms on it, after a month of driving, started making a knocking noise in the motor. Was told it was a timing chain and quoted $3000 to fix it. Got rid of it and bought a 2007 trecker. That's just clocked 80, 000 and now has a big end bearing on the way out. I have owned seven suzuki 4wds, five of them pre 2000, and couldn't fault them. These last two are absolute over priced rubbish.

TransmissionManual

2006 2.7Lt V6 143KW Trekker Pack Manual has been Excellent! 10 years old now

Purchased new, now at 90,000 km. Clutch replaced at 85,000 for $1300 including parts + white plastic part on a roller off the front of the engine cost $220 including parts which affected the power steering but is all good now.
Engine has been bullet proof, great torque for towing boats or caravan and 4WDing. Very quick off the lights!! Insanely good off-road with very high power to weight ratio and 4L 4H and AWD gearbox.
Seats would be better if they folded flat which is annoying.
Its been a great car. Has been hammered and the shockers all still pass the test but one requires replacement soon.
There isn't another car in this class with high power (143kW) to weight ratio, low range gearbox in an SUV sized vehicle. Its easier to park than a commodore or falcon as it fits into tighter parks.
Has stereo and cruise control on the steering wheel and a great stereo which makes long drives very comfortable.
The engine and gearbox combination I can't see in any other 4wd currently so can't see any reason to upgrade.

TransmissionManual

I had GV V6 from brand new for 8 years now ,so far no problem with this car at all. Even we offroad driving a lot .very strong SUV . Now I'm looking for to update it to a diesel engine , but with Suzuki engine don't come with an auto so . I think I have to wait for a while
Very capable off road
No protection for the radiator

TransmissionAutomatic

Bad

Loved the car (2009 Suzuki GV Diesel Trekker)but are now selling because of warranty and Suzuki customer care reasons. I would not recommend diesel model to anyone who actually expects to drive it like a normal car i.e. around town. perfect for just a weekender car and have a second 'run around car' for during the week but seriously why buy two cars when you can buy one that does it all.
Wonderful car to drive beautiful features and awesome pulling power.
We brought a diesel model and where not warned about the "only designed for long distances warranty inclusion" therefore when we struck problems with the DPF (Fuel filter) we were not covered by warranty because this car only got driven to work ( about 11kms) from home in the country instead of long distances all the time. I love the car but don't recommend diesel model unfortunately!Factory tow bar is odd. too low, and with something like a boat or trailer attached you can not open the rear door.

BadgeTrekker
I've experienced the same problems as you. I would advise you not to get any other diesel's (no matter what make) built after 2007. The reason I say this is because I have spoken with a lot of diesel experts who have stated the DPF is falling over in a lot of Diesels. Hilux, Landcruisers, Pathfinders etc. I'm in the process of selling my car now because of these issues. I'm never buying a Suzuki again because of the lack of customer care.The Particulate Filter on most new diesel cars need to reach a certain (high) temperature in order to 'burn off' the accumulated soot, so from time to time, the car has to be given a blast on a freeway, doing at least 80kms for about 15 mins or more to burn off the soot. Its just a design characteristics of the particulate filter....and so, when Suzuki Australia (or the dealer) explains that to the customer, most wont accept the fact and complains that it is "poor cuistomer service"!