Suzuki Grand Vitara

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005-2019)

JB / JT.II (2012-2019) and JB / JT.I (2005-2011)

See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

I love this car

I love this car so much. We have had it 2nd hand for 4 years now and had no problems. We keep it well maintained and it loves us back. Great for off road camping, great around town, still easy to park, and good up the highway. We got a 4cyl 2L and it also tows a trailer very well. The tow bar we had fitted. Not so comfy for really long distance, but most travel is good. I'm short and I find the vision good. No awkward blind spots

Purchased in August 2015 at Private for $9,500.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2005

Serious engine problems

At 150,000km the head cracked. Known fault detailed in a US Technical Bulletin (extended warranty in US - not Australia). Repair parts cost $2500. 4,000km later block cracked behind exhaust manifold.

Purchased in July 2010.

BoughtNew
Year2009
Comfort

Good little off-roader or city run-about

This is a real 4WD, thats why I bought it. Its the only small 4 door "real" 4WD available except for the Jeeps which have quality issues. It also handles well around town as its permanent AWD. The 4 speed automatic is basic, but strong & I leave mine on POWER mode for the later gear shifts & improved acceleration. Fuel economy is usually 10.7L/100km in the city but on country trips it can get down to 8L/100km. The higher fuel economy figures reflect the fact that its a real off-roader, weights 1.6 ton, has a truck ladder frame chassis as well as heavy dual range gearing. I do some off-road work & it is very happy on 3 wheels, lose dirt, ruts as the traction control is very good to kick in & provide traction. I have not got it stuck off-road yet. If I was serious about off-road work I would get a 2 inch lift.
I did not choose a larger Landcruiser Prado or Nissan Patrol as the parking for these cars is impossible in the city and diesel maintenance costs are higher, also the driving experience in the city is much more fun with the little Suzuki. For the limited off-road work I do the car is a perfect fit for me. The engine needs to be driven pretty hard to feel any good acceleration but thats standards for a car meant to be in the off-road situation or on snowy icy roads.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Cracked engine block

Owned 2008 Prestige model for 5 years, @ 190 000 km and engine block cracked. Because of GFC in 2008 the alloy used to cast engine block is substandard and becoming well know to crack. Paid $20 000 for Grand Vitara 4-5 years ago, now being offered $500 from wreaker or $8 000 engine replacement.

Date PurchasedSep 2008

Econmical car

We use the car for family transport on a daily basis and recently drove 4000kms in 2 weeks. The car drove great with no issues. the only problem we have is a clunking sound that cannot be diagnosed. The boot space is great and fits a pram and shopping in with no issues.

BadgeAuto 4D Wagon V6
Date PurchasedMay 2018

Warranty issue.

Power steering started pulsing when steering wheel is turned.Suzuki technician agreed their was a problem. Tried to fix it and couldn't, service manager said nothing they can do. I rang Suzuki NZ and they had another dealer have a look and he said their was a problem. Took it to fix then rang me back that they all do this. I took it to another technician who also confirmed a problem. I have had 2 of this model GV in the past and they didn't have this steering problem. Suzuki NZ don't want to know or help, I think there may be a cover up. Have had a few new Suzuki vehicles over the years but now I will never have another Suzuki.
NZ Suzuki warranty support is very disappointing.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

No competition

It has zero competition..if you want a proper 4wd but don't have a lot to spend you can't beat it.

Mine is heavily modified and I've taken it everywhere, it chews up 4wd tracks and river crossings. It's great around town. Truly an all rounder for the money you spend, you can't beat it.

Slight issues why I've given 4 stars
- paint started to peel inside warranty period and Suzuki refuses to cover it (because I live in Darwin). Soon after my wife got into a bingle and it got repaired on old mates insurance. Now outside of warranty period loads of paint peeling.
- 4 speed auto isn't great on fuel, especially up north with a top speed of 130km
- had a very expensive motor warping / water leaking issue BUT I just did the Gibb and my aftermarket suspension had blown, so I don't really blame Suzuki, nevertheless I doubt a landcruiser would have the same issue.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

GV problems

Engine light on. Replaced two sensors. No change. Suzuki found oil residue over timing chain etc. Replaced chain, vvt unit, tensioner etc. 200km later, bad overheating. Cracked cylinder head. Replaced and now engine light on again. Suzuki blamed our mechanic for the oil sludge! Top quality oil used. Servicing well within suggested limits. Suzuki Aus not interested in covering timing chain costs. Cylinder head cracking appears common for this motor. Recall in the US. Why not on Aus?

Badge12000
Date PurchasedOct 2010

Love it... Great Family Car

Perfect size to drive in the busy roads with the added advantage of good with Fuel.
We drive the car every day to and from work, picking up kids and as our weekend car.
Plenty of space to fit 2 car seats in the back.
2 car seat comfortable fit. Plenty of leg room in the back.
We love the large boots to fit anything...
Low cost maintains and low cost to run...
Great family car

Date PurchasedApr 2011

Perfect Car For my Needs

My Suzuki GV is the prestige model so it has all the fruit, full leather, sunroof, keyless entry and start etc. It's a great looking car, very reliable, easy to get in & out of, easy to park. It's a bit heavy on fuel for a 2.4 litre motor but I love it, so does everyone who drives it. With 140000 klms on the clock, so far it's proved to be super reliable. I use it as a 4x4 and it'll keep up with the big boys....for a lot less. I've towed a small caravan around Australia, easy as. Returned 12.8 l/100 klms overall. It's a great Car.

Date PurchasedMay 2009

Keep away from Suzuki and their incompetent dealer network

Westpoint Indooroopilly not consitant with servicing cost$138 for oil filter,when asked to check rattle in rear told it was toebar,charged$128 for privlage.3 days latter glow plugs failed,repaired by Bundaberg dealer and informed the rear diff bushes broken repaired under warrenty at 90000kms engine light kept coming up , booked in to Keema Mt Gravatt. Crankshaft broke on way ,informed by SUZUKI new crankshaft 2 conrods would have engine back to new,after 8 weeks the vehicle was driven home only to discover cooling system had not been filled over heating engine as temp sensor was not covered by coolant,sent back on tow truck ,next time coolant hose to back of engine came off ,no clamp installed,next time clutch failure due to hose not clamped on,next time brake failure due to pipe not correctly installed ,next time oil leak due to poorly installed oil seal and sump gasket,next time oil leaks and vechile could not be driven at100kms hr due to severe vibration,informed by SUZUKI tyres out of balance nothing wrong with vechile,next same problems and the engine block was found .to be severly cracked SUZUKI agreed to install new engine Keema was asked to make sure clutch was ok Keema was asked to trade on new vechile offered$3000 a 99%lost in 2yrs After new engine installed dpf fault, loud noise through transmission,taken to Moorooka Suzuki at request of Suzuki,wrong oil installed by Keema and clutch found to be broken should not have been reinstalled Next problems starter motor failure due to only 1 not 3 bolts installed,front drive shafts failure due to only 2 bolts installed,continuing engine faultsleading to engine failure due to inlet manifold not correctlyinstalled 100%LOSS

Date PurchasedDec 2010

Love it

Ours is a Vitara 2016 turbo plenty of power and easey to drive.
Have not had any trouble with it, service cost are very reasonable
Would recommend it to anyone looking for this size car.
My wife and I love driving it. Suzuki seams to be a company that fly under the radar

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Engine failure at 130000km

At 130000km the JB 24 Engine failed, my grand daughter had brought the grand vitara 2008 model, 11months ago and has done 15000km, when the engine started to make rattle noise, she stopped the car turned off ignition waited then tried to start the car again, would not start. Towed to repairer told the Engine had a mechanical failure, not worth pulling engine appart, ordered a second hand motor at cost of $8700 installed.
The Trader "Charles Jansen Cars" "Jansen 4 x4" Moorabbin Victoria Australia.
The trader would not have anything to do with the failure and hung up, very bad, where to now I dont know except that it going to cost $8700.

BadgeGrand Vitara 2008
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

A great vehicle

We have owned our Grand Vitara for early two years. It is economical to run. In saying that, it could do with a larger fuel tank as it needs a petrol station visit often due to its small fuel tank size (35L). We have a pop top caravan which it pulls with ease and the weight it can pull is 1700 kg braked. Our van is 1200kg. The air conditioner Ning works very well in really hot weather. There is plenty of leg and headroom and storage locations for travel documents and drink bottles. It is an automatic. The gear lever operating mechanism could have been designed with a bit more smoother operation as it is a bit clunky to move. It comes with an extended warranty of five years with fixed price servicing which is good to have. We like the car.

Badge3 Door Navigator
Date PurchasedOct 2015

Genuinely love my ride

This is my first 4wd and I absolutely love it for many reasons... it’s quite economical and plenty of grunt both on road and off. Very comfortable in either the drivers seat or as a passenger. Iv had extractors fitted because the exhaust manifold was cracked, sounds very nice now. Smooth gear changes although iv replaced the clutch soon after purchasing, it now has a heavy duty exedy branded one. the tailgate handle is plastic and has split so replaced that. Love all the storage compartments and multiple cupholders. Very spacious and the rear seat folds down which is great. I have a child seat in the back and it’s quite ergonomic to get my son in and out. Power mirrors and windows are convenient. Although I’m not tall I have no dramas seeing when reversing and I can comfortably see over the bonnet. The upholstery is kinda dirt coloured so if u didn’t fit seat covers it would make little difference as the upholstery will age well. For a 20 year old vehicle I’m very impressed!

BadgeJ20A
Date PurchasedAug 2017

STAY AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE - ABSOLUTE RUBBISH

I purchased my 2009 GV3 Grand Vitara brand new and for the first 7 years of ownership the car was great - it was reliable, fun to drive, and never missed a beat. Wanting the best run from my vehicle it has always been dealer serviced right on the service schedule, i've had all 4 recalls done, it's never been offroad, and it's always been looked after. BUT...at 108,00kms (November last year) the car started overheating after about 10 mins of driving. The second time this happened I took it back to the dealer who after some testing thought the radiator was blocked - so $900 later I drove out of the dealership with a shiny new radiator and feeling grateful the car was fixed. About 10km's away from the dealership the same issue occurred. As it was a Friday my car sat on the highway for 2 days until I could get it towed back to the dealership. In this time I did a bit of research and found a heap of unhappy Suzuki Customers with JB24 engines (which are in Vitara and Kishashi Vehicles) that had cracked engine blocks at about 100,000kms. Suzuki America have taken responsibility for the issue and are replacing affected vehicles under warranty. I advised the dealer, and lo and behold my engine block was cracked - I contacted Suzuki Australia who didn't want to know about it. The cost of repair was $9800. I didn't have a car for 6 months while I tried to get Suzuki Australia to take some responsibility for the issue, they eventually came back and said the issue was caused by the dealer putting green coolant into the engine at the 45,000km service rather than their blue longlife coolant. Fortunately for me the dealer claimed the repair on their insurance and I got my car back. I've now had the car back for 4 months and it was running great - until I took it in for the gear shift recall. When i picked my car up I noticed a puddle of water had started forming in the back rear passenger floor pan. Took the car to a panel beater and did pressure testing and all the seals passed. Dried the floor pan, and then drove around without my aircon on for three days - the carpet stayed dry. Turned the aircon on and the puddle reappeared. Took the car back to the dealer who have just called and advised the plastic tube that move condensation from the aircon to the base of the car has deteriorated and water is leaking into the floor pan. To fix the issue the whole dash has to be removed at a cost of $1200. The dealer has advised my car is not the only one they've seen with this problem, in fact they've had about 7 vitara's in the last few months for the same thing. So in short STAY AWAY FROM THESE VEHICLES unless you are a mechanic and are prepared to invest time and money into keeping it on the road. i've now spent $4000 on my car in the last 6 months not including the $9800 the dealer covered for the engine replacement. Suzuki Australia don't care about providing support or assistance to their customers or dealer network, instead they look for an easy cop out to push responsibility onto somebody else. I would stay away from Suzuki entirely.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

Our 2-door Vitara 4wd

We purchased a motorhome and after 2 months realised to be totally satisfied we needed to tow a small
vehicle behind for excursions away from caravan parks. The choice for us was a new Suzuki Grand Vitara 2-door. It has turned out to be the ultimate choice, free-wheeling with a Ready-Brute Ultra towing attachment.
This vehicle is our off-road tour vehicle, our shopping vehicle and performs well always. Thoroughly recommend this to all motor homers.

Badge3 Door Navigator
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Good Value Proper 4wd

I purchased 2.4 litre 4 cylinder Grand Vitara Sport, 2013, vehicle came with roof racks and good nudge bar as free extra as vehicle was a clearance model from dealer, purchased 9/2014 it comes with Sat Nav and Reverse Camera standard, interior functional, seats are reasonably supportive for short runs, finish is Budget Japanese so better than other brands, vision is good front and back side vision is reasonable but would require a blind spot mirror or monitor as it's higher than a sedan, ride quality for a 4WD is good, very little body roll when cornering and brakes work well, front suspension offers a lot of feedback, not rough on road but communicative just the same it has good power delivery, 122kw 225 nm, better mid to top end power than a diesel and very good fuel consumption if you go safe, could do with a fifth gear I think these days!. Tyres are road based, quiet enough and safe in wet, the Vitara isn't as heavy as other real 4wd so it handles a bit sharper and isn't as high off ground, off road the front McPherson suspension is a bit choppy, 4wd high and low range work, underbody protection is plastic so needs to be metal if serious off roading. Boot is spacious, seats fold and flip behind front seats room but could be more user friendly for storage. Headlights are okay just standard for price, rear camera basic. Stereo sound is nice enough and system is adequate. Paint quality is below average and could do with a better clear coat as it is not at all forgiving. A/C does the job, hot/ cold enough. This is our 4wd, it's also for school runs and moving work stock, it tows well suprisingly, rated at 1700 kgs (braked), not quite Prado level but okay for what it is. The Vitara has grown on us and it suits our needs, wife and kids like it as it's easy to park average to insure, services fixed at 269 per 6 months for extended warranty, doesn't give us issues so we are happy. Service at Ferntree Gully Suzuki service department outstanding, very professional and look after customers well, highly recommend them.Update 2018 i have found it to be still good no issues , have upgraded the tyres to BFG and added underbody protection , more responsive than our diesel prado , more car like in its behaviour , power to weight is good , its quite alright for what is.

Date PurchasedSep 2014

2005 Grand Vitara

I truly love driving my Grand Vitara.. so easy to drive & park.. windows are great for view.. everyone that gets in it enjoys their ride & are very impressed with it's comfort as well
Can't think of anything I dislike about my Grand Vitara inside or out
I've had my car for 12 years & no trouble with it at all..still looks great & drives very well
I take care of my care with maintenance/services
I feed my Grand Vitara with good fuel & it certainly is very good on fuel
Fantastic car.. would definitely buy another when I can... it was affordable at the time of purchase.. Garry Crick's were great to deal with..

Badge4 cyl 4wd petrol mpfi sv/sq
Date PurchasedMay 2005

2007 GV Prestige

Had vehicle now for just over two years, and can't fault it. It has done over 200,000km's (petrol engine) and although it seems a little down on power for a V6, apparently this is the norm. Original parts are expensive but wreckers in Melbourne have the occasional GV through their workshop.

Use of vehicle is solely for personal use. Depending on the week on how often the vehicle gets used.

Haven't had serviced since I had the rocker cover gaskets replaced. Hasn't clocked up the necessary kilometres.

Purchased in May 2016 at Major Car Sales.

BoughtUsed
Year2007
Comfort

What is the minimum hand brake liner thickness for rear Suzuki JT 2011 with all disc brakes Please

I have recently purchased a 2009, 5 door grand vitara and wish to fit a tow bar. It is highly unlikely that I would tow anything larger than a 7 by 5 trailer or a very small van. Not wanting to spend more than I need to, does anyone have a tow bar recommendation? Thank you.

Is it possible to tow a light camper trailer on beach with 2016 Grand Vitara 3 door 2.4 litre, have a lift kit and 17 inch wheels

Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Sport Automatic (2011-2019)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II 3 Door Navigator Manual (2014-2019)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II 3 Door Navigator Automatic (2014-2019)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I (No Badge) (2005-2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I JLX (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I JX (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Trekker (2006-2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Prestige (2006-2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Prestige Trekker (2008)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Adventure (2010)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I 100th Anniversary (2009)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I LE (2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Sport (2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.I Urban (2010-2011)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II (No Badge) (2012-2014)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Sport Manual (2011-2018)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II LE (2012)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Urban Navigator (2012-2014)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Urban (2012-2014)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Luxury (2012-2014)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II Prestige (2012-2016)Suzuki Grand Vitara JB / JT.II 5 Door Navigator (2014-2018)
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price $33,990$28,990$28,990$33,990
TransmissionAutomaticManualAutomaticManualAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy16" Steel17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy
Doors533555555
Seats544555555
Fuel Consumption9.9 L/100km8.8 L/100km9.6 L/100km8.9 L/100km9.5 L/100km9.9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 66 L55 L55 L66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.4L
Max Power122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm122kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 4000rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm225Nm @ 3800rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features
  • Reversing Camera
  • Reversing Camera
Extra Features
  • USB Port
  • USB Port
Ground Clearance200 mm200 mm200 mm200 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,700 kg1,600 kg1,600 kg1,850 kg1,850 kg1,700 kg1,700 kg1,700 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg550 kg550 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2011Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2005Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2006Jan 2008Jan 2010Jan 2009Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2010Jan 2012Jan 2011Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2014
Discontinuation dateDec 2011Dec 2008Dec 2008Dec 2008Dec 2011Dec 2008Dec 2010Dec 2009Dec 2011Dec 2011Dec 2011Dec 2014Dec 2018Dec 2012Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2016Dec 2018