Good little off-roader or city run-about

This is a real 4WD, thats why I bought it. Its the only small 4 door "real" 4WD available except for the Jeeps which have quality issues. It also handles well around town as its permanent AWD. The 4 speed automatic is basic, but strong & I leave mine on POWER mode for the later gear shifts & improved acceleration. Fuel economy is usually 10.7L/100km in the city but on country trips it can get down to 8L/100km. The higher fuel economy figures reflect the fact that its a real off-roader, weights 1.6 ton, has a truck ladder frame chassis as well as heavy dual range gearing. I do some off-road work & it is very happy on 3 wheels, lose dirt, ruts as the traction control is very good to kick in & provide traction. I have not got it stuck off-road yet. If I was serious about off-road work I would get a 2 inch lift.
I did not choose a larger Landcruiser Prado or Nissan Patrol as the parking for these cars is impossible in the city and diesel maintenance costs are higher, also the driving experience in the city is much more fun with the little Suzuki. For the limited off-road work I do the car is a perfect fit for me. The engine needs to be driven pretty hard to feel any good acceleration but thats standards for a car meant to be in the off-road situation or on snowy icy roads.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Cracked engine block

Owned 2008 Prestige model for 5 years, @ 190 000 km and engine block cracked. Because of GFC in 2008 the alloy used to cast engine block is substandard and becoming well know to crack. Paid $20 000 for Grand Vitara 4-5 years ago, now being offered $500 from wreaker or $8 000 engine replacement.

Date PurchasedSep 2008

Econmical car

We use the car for family transport on a daily basis and recently drove 4000kms in 2 weeks. The car drove great with no issues. the only problem we have is a clunking sound that cannot be diagnosed. The boot space is great and fits a pram and shopping in with no issues.

BadgeAuto 4D Wagon V6
Date PurchasedMay 2018

Warranty issue.

Power steering started pulsing when steering wheel is turned.Suzuki technician agreed their was a problem. Tried to fix it and couldn't, service manager said nothing they can do. I rang Suzuki NZ and they had another dealer have a look and he said their was a problem. Took it to fix then rang me back that they all do this. I took it to another technician who also confirmed a problem. I have had 2 of this model GV in the past and they didn't have this steering problem. Suzuki NZ don't want to know or help, I think there may be a cover up. Have had a few new Suzuki vehicles over the years but now I will never have another Suzuki.
NZ Suzuki warranty support is very disappointing.

BadgeJLX
Date PurchasedMay 2018

No competition

It has zero competition..if you want a proper 4wd but don't have a lot to spend you can't beat it.

Mine is heavily modified and I've taken it everywhere, it chews up 4wd tracks and river crossings. It's great around town. Truly an all rounder for the money you spend, you can't beat it.

Slight issues why I've given 4 stars
- paint started to peel inside warranty period and Suzuki refuses to cover it (because I live in Darwin). Soon after my wife got into a bingle and it got repaired on old mates insurance. Now outside of warranty period loads of paint peeling.
- 4 speed auto isn't great on fuel, especially up north with a top speed of 130km
- had a very expensive motor warping / water leaking issue BUT I just did the Gibb and my aftermarket suspension had blown, so I don't really blame Suzuki, nevertheless I doubt a landcruiser would have the same issue.

BadgeJLX
Date PurchasedDec 2013

Love my Vitara - everything you need

Bought brand new in Aug 2018 as our new family every day car. I am so happy with it mechanically, tech wise and looks. The Vitara has everything you need and at a very reasonable/affordable price. Drives well long distances and is easy to get up step inclines without too much lag. Fuel consumption has been amazing as well. It offers great cabin and boot space with comfy seats. Absolutley would buy again and will be recommending the dealership again and again!

Date PurchasedAug 2018

I love my car

I love my car it’s my everything but I must say it doesn’t pick up spend well if you are trying to pick up speed on the smallest of inclines the car cannot cope and revs high!! And the fuel economy has not been great after the first 12 months.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
DriveFWD

Excellent car - simple and you cannot beat it for value

This car is by no means a performance SUV the 1.6L Is just adequate for city driving and it will not complain if you push it. If you need any more performance than that you need to be looking at the 1.4L Turbo. The price for what you get is hands down the BEST value small SUV on the market. The closest in price was the Mitsubishi ASX but it was thirsty, ancient, heavy and that horrible CVT auto is subpar.

One thing that the Vitara excels at and a lot of people complain about in modern cars is visibility, is that it has excellent visibility all around with big windows! It is so easy to park and drive around the city!

The Suzuki has a good conventional auto and it is an excellent little unit, gear changes are smooth and it is very responsive from the get-go.

It has inclusions that feel ''premium" and most other brands WILL NOT give you in their entry level variants; such as LED running lights, GPS, reverse camera, paddle shifters (for the auto), nice looking alloy wheels, darker privacy rear windows and even LED welcome illumination on the front driver's and passenger's foot wells (Mazda charges over $200 just for the welcome illumination!)

The infotainment is excellent, the touch screen is very responsive and it comes with standard android auto/apple car play. I am comparing this to the horrible MAZDA MZD Infotainment system which is laggy, outdated and the touch screen cannot be used once the car is moving! Oh and they will charge you $500 for Android auto/Apple carplay (Shame on you Mazda)

The speakers are only average but for the audiophiles there is an premium upgrade speaker option!

The interior is very simplistic but very well thought out with ample space for what it is and excellent rear leg and headroom for its class which is better than a MAzda CX-3 or a Hyundai Kona (And those cars are more expensive).

Boot space is also one of the largest of its class (375L vs Kona 361L) which is a plus for a small family and it has the added dual floor for extra storage underneath!

IT has accessories galore and even though a lot are very expensive at least you get the option to customize your vehicle

The warranty is 5 years which is a plus but there is a catch - you need to have all the services done by a Suzuki dealer otherwise it reverts to a standard 3 yr

Service intervals are very short 10,000 or 6 months - for those who do not do many Kms like myself it means I will have to visit the dealership more often and they are not cheap averaging $250 per service which is over $500 per year (However I am a big believer of good maintenance so I find this to be a plus in a way). I think one year or 15,000kms others offer is pushing it for modern engines especially for stop/go city driving which causes extreme wear on the engine.

All in all this vehicle should be selling way more than it currently is however I believe a lot of people do not make informed decisions and get caught up in the hype buying what is ''trendy'' without thinking of practicality. Also a lot of ''expert" review I see online are very unfair on the Vitara as a lot of scores are very low, I used to own a Mazda CX5 and I can honestly say this is a better product, less gimmicks, no istop or other electric crap you don't need and way more practical and easy to drive around the city.vita

Date PurchasedNov 2018
DriveFWD

great car but auto transmission rough changing from first to second

2015 rts 1.6 lt have been happy so far car runs a lot better with 95 octane fuel . Only issue i have had is a rough gear change from first to second when driving hard. Wonder if this normal would love to know if anyone else has this issue.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Update booked it in to Suzuki dealer they did a software update now its silky smooth again

complete city sub compact SUV

bought after having grand vitara for six years. only issue with grand vitara was fuel efficiency and my vitara is the answer for that. not a 4 wheel drive but fun to drive and easy to park. and good with goodies like reverse parking and sat nav. its fun to move around city. i manage to get 15 km / liter on my way to work and back and 13-15 km/liter on busy sydney roads and 17-19km/liter on highways. negative point is its not a car for over take or speedy moving but its worth the cost. and very soft on wallet by seldom trips to fuel station

Badge1.6
Date PurchasedJan 2018

The car quality is very poor and Oakleigh customer service is worst

Wrongly decided to buy this car as the quality of material is very poor. Some of the parts broken as soon as i bought it. Went to the service center to get replaced and they were not happy and raised the issue with Suzuki Australia. Then the service center agreed to replace but after few weeks the same part broken again. I am fed up making complaint again.

BadgeS Turbo 2WD
Date PurchasedOct 2017

Best Value SUV Out There

Had been looking for some time for a replacement vehicle for my wife’s old car which would be mainly used for work commuting so fuel economy was more important than power. With a budget of around $25k we searched the market for a SUV type vehicle and after many hours of research on various motoring websites we narrowed down our choice to 3 models. After inspecting and test driving our choices at the dealerships without doubt the Suzuki Vitara represented the best value for its size, features and warranty(5 Years but note: warranty conditions stipulate that it must be serviced every 6 months but it is fixed price servicing) The Vitara is economical, offers a comfortable ride and after 12 months of daily use we have no problems at all. The only slight disappointment is that despite having an excellent rear view camera there are no audible sensors when you are reversing so watch out for unwary pedestrians in car parks.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

GV problems

Engine light on. Replaced two sensors. No change. Suzuki found oil residue over timing chain etc. Replaced chain, vvt unit, tensioner etc. 200km later, bad overheating. Cracked cylinder head. Replaced and now engine light on again. Suzuki blamed our mechanic for the oil sludge! Top quality oil used. Servicing well within suggested limits. Suzuki Aus not interested in covering timing chain costs. Cylinder head cracking appears common for this motor. Recall in the US. Why not on Aus?

Badge12000
Date PurchasedOct 2010

Really happy with it

For a fairly inexpensive small SUV I'm happy. It drives smoothly, but sometimes takes a second to turn on. Really annoying that the lights don't automatically go off when I turn the car off. The handling is good. Pretty noisy to drive on the freeway and not a lot of guts but it's a small engine and very petrol efficient to that's to be expected.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Love it... Great Family Car

Perfect size to drive in the busy roads with the added advantage of good with Fuel.
We drive the car every day to and from work, picking up kids and as our weekend car.
Plenty of space to fit 2 car seats in the back.
2 car seat comfortable fit. Plenty of leg room in the back.
We love the large boots to fit anything...
Low cost maintains and low cost to run...
Great family car

Date PurchasedApr 2011

Perfect Car For my Needs

My Suzuki GV is the prestige model so it has all the fruit, full leather, sunroof, keyless entry and start etc. It's a great looking car, very reliable, easy to get in & out of, easy to park. It's a bit heavy on fuel for a 2.4 litre motor but I love it, so does everyone who drives it. With 140000 klms on the clock, so far it's proved to be super reliable. I use it as a 4x4 and it'll keep up with the big boys....for a lot less. I've towed a small caravan around Australia, easy as. Returned 12.8 l/100 klms overall. It's a great Car.

Date PurchasedMay 2009

I drove this car since new it was a pig

This car was was in need of wheel alignment but was told by Crick's service it was OK
Wrong . I get services done by auto leaders now cheaper and better. This car now goes well
Better services and wheel alignment. It took 3 years to have a decent car but will never recommend susuki

Badge982 tyh
Date PurchasedApr 2015

Keep away from Suzuki and their incompetent dealer network

Westpoint Indooroopilly not consitant with servicing cost$138 for oil filter,when asked to check rattle in rear told it was toebar,charged$128 for privlage.3 days latter glow plugs failed,repaired by Bundaberg dealer and informed the rear diff bushes broken repaired under warrenty at 90000kms engine light kept coming up , booked in to Keema Mt Gravatt. Crankshaft broke on way ,informed by SUZUKI new crankshaft 2 conrods would have engine back to new,after 8 weeks the vehicle was driven home only to discover cooling system had not been filled over heating engine as temp sensor was not covered by coolant,sent back on tow truck ,next time coolant hose to back of engine came off ,no clamp installed,next time clutch failure due to hose not clamped on,next time brake failure due to pipe not correctly installed ,next time oil leak due to poorly installed oil seal and sump gasket,next time oil leaks and vechile could not be driven at100kms hr due to severe vibration,informed by SUZUKI tyres out of balance nothing wrong with vechile,next same problems and the engine block was found .to be severly cracked SUZUKI agreed to install new engine Keema was asked to make sure clutch was ok Keema was asked to trade on new vechile offered$3000 a 99%lost in 2yrs After new engine installed dpf fault, loud noise through transmission,taken to Moorooka Suzuki at request of Suzuki,wrong oil installed by Keema and clutch found to be broken should not have been reinstalled Next problems starter motor failure due to only 1 not 3 bolts installed,front drive shafts failure due to only 2 bolts installed,continuing engine faultsleading to engine failure due to inlet manifold not correctlyinstalled 100%LOSS

Date PurchasedDec 2010

Love it

A great car. Very zippy and easy to get around town in and comfortable for longer drives as well. I love the techninc rear parking camera and sensor and the entertainment system. Boot is a little small. Feels bigger inside than it looks. A stylish car, good for kids .

BadgeS Turbo 4WD
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Love it

Ours is a Vitara 2016 turbo plenty of power and easey to drive.
Have not had any trouble with it, service cost are very reasonable
Would recommend it to anyone looking for this size car.
My wife and I love driving it. Suzuki seams to be a company that fly under the radar

Date PurchasedNov 2016