Toyota Kluger GSU50R

Toyota Kluger GSU50R (2014-2019)

GXL (2014-2019), GX (2014-2019) and Grande (2014-2019)

See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Brilliant family SUV

I upgraded from a BMW 320i when I had my second baby and don’t know how I coped with such a small car for so long!
The kluger is basic but still stylish and very practical.

It has 5 seats with the option of 2 more in the far rear. Air conditioning reached right to the back and can be turned off if not needed back there.

I’m sitting at around 9.5L / 100 kms which is high but good for a big car. From empty it’s around 80-90 dollars to fill.

Servicing sits around 180-200 and so far I have had no issues.

Purchased in July 2018 at Toyota Dealers for $32,000.00.

BoughtUsed

The car I said I would never buy

i have just bought a Kluger, the car I said I would never buy- but I am glad I did. My deal breaker on a new car was a full size spare tyre- that gets rid of about 80% of the possibilities.

Having owned 4WDs for most of my life, Including most recently a 120 series Prado, I realised that I had not done any serious off-roading for a long time, nor was I likely to. But I still wanted reliability, room to move and that full size spare- enter Kluger. A good looking car these days especially in Crystal Pearl and enough mumbo to make highway travel a breeze. The recent update has the Kluger swarming with safety feature. The only one I am not sure about is adaptive cruise control.

Early days but this is very easy to live with.

Great family wagon

Car gets used every day and is comfortable and reliable. It is used around town and on the freeway. It fits our family of seven with ease and I recommend it over other family rigs.

Purchased in May 2015 at Peter Kittle Motor for $70,000.00.

BoughtNew
Year2015

Not for me.

I don’t own a Kluger, I have never purchased one, so I give a perspective of someone who hasn’t purchased one but unfortunately has to drive them when working. We have about thirty if not more of the base models at work. I travel approximately 400km on average when working. The good things are adaptive cruise control and auto braking (great safety features) and it feels like a well built solid vehicle. The bad, I hate them. The seats are the worst, I think they were designed in the 70’s, it feels like I am sitting on top of them and not in them, the stupid foot parking brake, the handling is terrible if not tank like and even tiring when travelling through numerous sharp bends, (Although the suspension is alright on straight country roads but no where as good as the Holden Commodores we previously used), the interiors look outdated and old and the petrol is a fuel guzzler. Would I buy one. No! I do my best to avoid driving them at work. I hate them that much. But each to their own.

Purchased in January 2018.

Year2018

Amazing family car

I use this car mainly for family transport, my everyday car. It has cotton service once as we just purchased it just over 6 months now which Toyota does every 6 months

Purchased in November 2018 at Toyota Dealers.

BoughtUsed
Comfort

Very reliable performance and excellent driving experience

- Commuting, family transport and school pickup
- Daily driving around 30 ~ 50 km
- Half-yearly service at a fixed price $180
- But a bit high fuel consumption 12.8 liter for 100 km

Purchased in December 2015 for $41,500.00.

BoughtNew
Year2015
Comfort

Disappointed with key quality and warranty

Purchased this car new in Jan 2018 - in Feb 2019 the key broke - it just opened and the inside computerised piece fell out ( could not find it ) - the car is still under warranty and yet I had to pay $245 for a repair . There was not a mark on the key itself - so the fault was not mine .I have never had this problem with any key before. Extremely disappointed in the service dept at the Toyota dealership that they don't warrant their faulty key.

Purchased in March 2019.

Year2017

LOVE this beautiful vehicle!

After owning an older 2005 Kluger we definitely needed an upgrade! Even though we loved our old Kluger we still test drove every 7 seater 4WD/AWD in our price range, just to see if there was anything that was now better. But the new Kluger GXL came out head & shoulders above the rest! It was by far the most spacious inside and handled the road better than the rest.
And a year later we’re still of the same opinion!! It’s fantastic! An absolutely beautiful car to drive, amazing open road fuel economy compared to our old Kluger, and handles everything we’ve thrown at it with ease!
It’s so spacious inside and our 4 children (2 of whom are now young adults plus 2 tall teenage boys) fit perfectly with the 3rd row seats up!
Huge boot space, quiet to drive, loads of power and copes well when we take it off-road.
Love all the extras that came with our GXL too - seat warmers, keyless smart entry & start system, great reversing camera, alloys, leather interior, 3 zone climate control, fantastic sat nav system on an 8” screen, dynamic torque control, active cruise control & my favourite - the automatic boot!
My only gripes would be that the front passenger seat on the GXL model no longer has electric seat adjustment (our 2005 mid range model did!) plus the front seat headrests are a tad uncomfortable - this was easily fixed though by removing them and turning them backwards.
All in all this car is outstanding! It wasn’t cheap ... but for a car that looks classy inside and out it’s been a great buy!

Date PurchasedJan 2018
DriveAWD

Good Car, solid engine, but missing key features

Had one of these as a hire car, only 6 months old with 10,000kms on it. The AWD version.

The good. : Rides well, lots of power and good on fuel. The inclusion of adaptive cruise and lane guidance are great features to see toyota finally adopting.

The average: The styling is typical toyota blandness , lacks any real quality feel or style. The entertainment system has no car play or any real function beyond basic blue tooth and radio functions. The usb doesn't even charge your phone as it doesn't provide enough power to keep it up to speed. Seats average comfort , but not heated or cooled seats, and no lane avoidance features, makes others like Jeep look like better options. No auto wipers but auto lights... good they got one thing right.

The annoying: Constant beeping of the lane system made me want to hit it, the 1-2 minutes of it trying to connect to blue tooth each time you start the car, and the use of the awful stalk for the cruise system, and a left pedal manual handbrake feels like a 10 year old after thought.

Overall it could be a good package, but toyota have just features out that are standard on others for the price.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Fantastic car!!

I’m absolutely in love with the 2018 kluger!!! I had it on hire for a month or two a few months ago and I must say it’s by far the most fancy four wheel drive I’ve ever driven. I’d highly recommend it to anybody with a large family as they have fold away back extra seats as well!!

BadgeGrande
Date PurchasedMay 2018
DriveAWD

Good practical design inside out

We mainly use this car for family vehicle is beautifully design with immense sense of practicality. ride is super smooth if runs on premium unleaded engine is so quite however 8 speed gearbox needs bit improvement shifting is not as seamless as the previous 6 speed gearbox but it still helps you save on fuel , it also makes you feel that car is being driven in big gear at low speed with low revs.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
DriveFWD

Amazing!

Smooth drive and very well thought of interior! The purchasing process was made extremely easy through Patterson Cheney Dandenong. The Kluger is very spacious and great for long drives. I would highly recommend the Kluger to anyone who has a large family or owns dogs. The middle console is my favourite due to the large space it provides.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Toyota Kruger 2017

I Never ever would of thought I would of bought a Kluger!
But I Love Love Love it, it’s so smooth to drive there is so much room for the kids I the back and I can fit nearly everything in the car because all the seats lie flat!
I highly Recommend this car to everyone with a Family!

Date PurchasedJan 2018
DriveRWD

Great spacious, reliable family car

We purchased our 2016 model Kluger in December 2017 from a used car dealer. The car was in pristine condition mechanically with no exterior damage. Many people recommended Toyota Kluger to us which was probably the deciding factor in purchasing this model. They were not wrong. Firstly, as a mum or two I really love the boot space the Kluger provides. I have had sedans previously and always found space an issue. Seating inside the Kluger is spacious and we can sit 5 comfortably in the front and rear seats. Although this model boasts seating for 7 I personally find the additional two fold away seats a waste of time. Getting into them is extremely difficult unless you were a child and safety wise I would never put my children in these seats. Therefore, if you are planning on purchasing a 7 seater, I would consider a larger people mover instead. We however did not purchase the kluger for the additional seating, so my 5 star rating stands. Mechanically the Kluger is very reliable. It costs around $100 to fuel with premium unleaded but I can say that I get excellent mileage from this, despite travelling everywhere from multiple school pick ups to the Gold Coast etc. It is lovely to drive, with light steering and the rear reversing monitor on the dash is extremely helpful, not to mention a necessary safety feature for such a large vehicle. The turning circle is quite manageable, making parking or u-turns easy. Registration, insurance and servicing costs are reasonable also.We will most definitely be purchasing one of these again in the future.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Best Car I ever owned

The 2018 Kluger comes with a front facelift and changes to the backlights. Also a slew of safety features comes standard now. In my GXL AWD version, we get BSM, AEB, Lane departure warning n assisted steering, cross traffic alert, active cruise control on top of VSC, hill descent, hill start etc. For moderate off-road driving, there's snow mode, central diff lock. We love the design of the car interior and outside and chose this over the Mazda 9. It drives and handles like a dream and the ride is so comfortable be it on highways, on gravel and farm roads. I enjoyed the active cruise control that uses radar to keep speed n distance. There's plenty of power and the car is very quiet. Spacewise, plenty of legroom, even in the third row, which are quite comfy compared to some other cars.
Consumption in start stop traffic is high -around 14l/100km but that's to be expected for such a big car. On the highway, it's 8-9l/km. If you're looking for a frugal engine, wait for the hybrid version.
Overall, I am truly happy with this car..

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Beautiful car

I bought this card in March 2018 and it drives like a treat, it doesn't sit ridiculously high like some SUVs so my wife can easily move our baby in and out of the back seat. It has grunt when needed but if you're happy to drive gently the economy is very good (around 10L/100km on avg).

Date PurchasedMar 2018

I love this car, highly recommend

I love driving my car now, I brought a new car for a family car, it is perfect for car seat installation with isofix, beautiful car to drive and it’s a big car but doesn’t feel big to drive, my parter is 6ft 4 and there is plenty of leg room even with a car seat behind the passenger seat, love the leather interior

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Best car I’ve ever owned!

Outstanding driving performance. Smooth, quiet but power when you need it. A very sleek and well appointed dash with all the extras drivers and families need. Comfort features are second to none, with more than enough space to comfortably seat 5 adults and 2 children. The extra 2 seats in the back fold away flush to reveal a huge boot space. You have the versatility of using only one of the rear seats if needed and those seats are as comfortable as the main seats. Kluge is the perfect family car, I couldn’t imagine anything else better suiting our needs.

BadgeCV
Date PurchasedNov 2016

A lemon car and bad luck

I purchased a brand new Toyota Grade Auto in mid of 2017, now has been one year and 10000km. For the first couple of months, we really enjoy the driving experience, as Grande got a lot of add ons. But after few months, the back window kept popping up when driving or when starting the engine. We had pulled over some times to close the back window manually. I demonstrated the problem when doing service at Nunawading Toyota, but mechanic said they checked and found no problem and asked us to go back and monitor until it would get worse. After one month, the back window was not open forever. We booked another appointment at Nunawading Toyota Service. Later that day, they called us to pick up, but the back window couldn’t be fixed until the parts coming from overseas, probably couple of weeks. After approximately 10 days, we made another appointment to fix the back window.
And later on, I found the right passenger door locked itself sometimes for no reason. I brought up this issue when doing service at Nunawading Toyota Service. Again, the reception said they didn’t find anything and asked me go back monitoring until it getting worse. This didn’t worry me too much, as I could central-lock twice to get it open.
May 2018, I found out humming noise came from nowhere when accelerating and only happened when accelerating. I booked a service to check at Nunawding Toyota Service, as usual, they didn’t find anything and told me to monitor. But the humming noise was gone after service. But few days after service, the car started to jump when changing gears. It’s like riding a horse when gear shifting. My wife made another appointment with Nunawading Toyota Service. We didn’t expect it was major problem as we had a faith of “unbreakable “Toyota Brand. Thursday morning 28th of June, my wife called me from Toyota Service and told me they wouldn’t accept the car unless she could demonstrate the issue. It was so frustrating experience! And then my wife passed the phone to me. After explanation, they finally got a mechanic to accompany my wife for testing drive. My wife told me later that she was so nervous as she was so worried what would happen if the issue didn’t show up at that particular moment—they would turn her around and “KEEP MONITORING”?!It was lucky, the car jumped again—OOHOO! Mechanic said it could be a major issue and probably need to change transmission.
Friday afternoon, mechanic called me saying they wasn’t sure whether they could fix, and probably need to rebuild the transmission. They needed to do more testing and would keep me updated Saturday. NO Call and No updates on Saturday.
We are not trouble maker and I think we are very patient customers. I purchased Toyota Vans and UTEs for my work, so far no problems. But I don’t know what happened to this family SUV? It’s Grande-not cheap model! We paid to drive, not sitting at workshop for testing or making one appointment after another!
What Lemon Car! What an Unbreakable Toyota!

BadgeGrande
Date PurchasedMay 2017
Got update from Nunawading Toyota Service that car has been trasfered to Waverley Toyota, as there got transmassion specialist. Parts is on the way but no loan car available. Frustrating!

Great Family car!

Great all round SUV with plenty of room for passengers and/or storage.
Powerful enough for towing light caravan or full trailers.
Responsive especially at the higher range and been totally reliable.
The only downside has been its lack of functional GPS in my mid range model and no diesel option

Date PurchasedMar 2015