TP-Link N300 TD-W9977

TP-Link N300 TD-W9977

highly recommend

Having owned a dlink I wanted a small router. I brought this one from Harvey Norman on recommendation from ISP and it took a few mins to set up and is faster with no lagging at all. For the price it was a nice surprise It is fast to load up as well

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Great router. Would recommend.

The router provides a strong connection and is fast and reliable. Only a handful of times ive had to reset the modem because it resulted in contantly dropping out and providing lower speeds. To set up the modem its as simple as plugging all the cords in and getting the app on your phone.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Stable and trouble free

Been using this with ADSL2 for over two years and its solid a sa rock. I really need to restart it and it just its there quietly doing its thing and I am happy with it. Set up took a bit of time to get exactly right but I have a mobile broadband wifi too and I just used that and Googled anything I didn't know. God unit

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Solid VDSL/ADSL2+ Modem

Pros:
- WiFi signal is strong and doesn't drop in and out like my previous TP-link.
- It works seamlessly I forget it is even there, I don't need to restart it or anything.
- Being VDSL and ADSL2+ compatible it makes transitioning from ADSL to FTTN NBN easy.
- 1Mbps LAN ports to move data fast around your wired network (most consumer modems still coming out with 100mbps LAN ports).

Cons:
- Only has 2.4Ghz Wifi (eg no 5Ghz) which is fine for web pages, but not so great for media hungry devices like Xbox or streaming movies directly from computer to tablet.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Perfect for FTTN connection used in bridge mode!

After trawling through many forums and posts about this router I was lucky to find it still available at Space HiFi for under $100 shipped. This router does VDSL2 which is typically a requirement for FTTN connections. I use this in front of my Billion router and have it placed in "bridge mode".

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Perfect for gaming

My previous router was slow and doesn't have strong connection throughout the house. This router has a strong connection. This is perfect for gaming as they connection is strong and fast. Good value for money. Also, the build quality is good. Also their customer support is good and simple to use.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

TD-W9977 Great value for money

A nice basic router for beginner to intermediate user.
Works well on Telstra NBN VDSL FTTN both in Router and Bridge mode.
It doesn't have some advanced features that advanced tinkerers would expect (see other reviews) however I think it's excellent value for money. I use it in bridge mode with a software router (zeroshell) and it's as fast as the nasty Netgear Gateway Pro Telstra shipped me.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Good modem router for ADSL/VDSL

I bought this as an upgrade to my previous D-Link wireless-G adsl modem to prepare for moving to an NBN FTTN connection. The modem router gave marginally better speeds on ADSL despite some initial problems with frequent PPP disconnects. Once I troubleshooted that it was very stable. Wifi range is good and the router is good for normal home use.

However I moved to an FTTP served area, so now I use this as an access point for my primary Asus RT-AC68U router (which has a larger NAT table and can handle the 100Mbps connection with multiple devices and loads a lot better). The Gigabit LAN is its biggest asset now for my TV and desktop computer connected to this by ethernet. As a range extender initially there were some problems with devices not seamlessly connecting to the wifi channel (shared between the 2 routers). However after some troubleshooting everything works really well now.

Pros: Price point. Gigabit LAN.
Cons: Not meant for heavy duty routing and customised firmware. Not Wireless AC.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

The modem performs very well.

This is a good modem for NBN. I highly recommend for home with many devices. The signal is quite strong with good coverage area. This modem is very easy to set up and I had less issue with this modem. A wizard within the extender's interface walks you through a quick setup

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Wow, it covers my 6 bedroom 2 storey house

This has been my best wifi/networking purchase ever! I initially bought it because i was going to bridge my nbn to a better wifi router, but didn't end up needing a more expensive wifi router as it completely covers my 6 bedroom, 2 storey brick house with fast wifi (same speed as wired connection!!)

Date PurchasedJan 2018

This is perfect, I love it.

More fast than my old one, I should replace my old one earlier. My old one is D-link I use it about 4 years but recently it is not working properly. So I had to replace it. The new one I open it all the time and never down. So I suggest to buy it.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Excellent value for money NBN modem

Purchased this modem for use with an NBN provider to not have to get their standard, more expensive modem and am very pleased with what it offers for its price. It took a bit of digging into the advanced settings to find out how to configure the modem for use with the NBN though - the online manuals and documentation are not very informative. Also, be aware that this modem only offers wifi signals up to 802.11n - it does not support the faster 802.11ac protocol! Overall connection speeds are fine and easily cover the entirety of our apartment without any drops in performance. Overall, a very decent NBN modem which can save you some $$$ by not having to get a pricey modem from an ISP.

NBN /ADSL compatible

Hi bought this modem because my premise is due for connection with NBN network. However, I was still using ADSL2+ and I needed a modem that can be compatible with both NBN and ADSL2+, and this modem works out just fine. The price is also very reasonable making this a perfect choice!

Good cheap NBN modem

If you're looking for a good cheap VDSL modem to put in bridge mode behind a full featured router this is one of the best value you will find.
It has a Broadcom chipset which works best with NBN, on FTTB mine reports a possible max sync of over 130mbit, it has worked without issue so far.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Good as an NBN modem (so I have read), but has some issues.

I bought this to use as an NBN modem and as at the time of writing I cannot critique that aspect since I am still on ADSL2+. So I can comment on it's utility for ADSL2+ and also for wireless access. Overall the unit is easy to set up, has a nice modern web based user interface and works well, but I have run into a couple of limitations that are worth mentioning.

1. I tried unsuccessfully to use it as an ADSL2+ model (in interim to NBN VDSL). My line is not perfect and I have found that the SNR (signal noise ratio) setting in other more geeky modems allows me to configure my connection so it is more stable. For me that means increasing the SNR so that the connection is slower, but drops out less. With the TP-Link TD-W9977, there is no SNR knob (can't even access through more geeky means like Telnet or SSH) and as such it always connects too fast and it makes (for my particular case at least) an unstable connection. If you have any connection stability issues and want to use this for ADSL2+ (even temporarily like me), then look elsewhere.

2. I am now using the TP-Link TD-W9977 as a wireless access point and have found an unfortunate limitation in that aspect of it too. The security of wireless devices has evolved over time to the point that wireless access has (or had) become quite secure. The TP-Link, however, supports WPS which makes setting up wireless security easier for non technical people, but itself can be considered to be a security flaw. So this unit supports WPA2 (which is secure, assuming you use good a passphrase), but uses WPS to allow easier configuration which reduces the security. The problem here is that the router PIN (the least secure part of WPS) cannot be turned off (looks like a bug in the current firmware, with no update scheduled that I can see). So in my view it's akin to locking up your front door tight, but leaving your side gate and back door open. It certainly defeats the purpose of having the secure WPA2 in place.

EDIT: I did some testing of the WPS security and it seems that turning off the WPS feature may also prevent the Router PIN access, though I am not 100% certain of this and the way the user interface is designed makes it appear like the two things are independent of each other.

In terms of some other aspects of the unit, the wireless connectivity seems to be pretty strong (I was able to connect from >50m away) so I have no complaints from that side of things. That said, most of my home network is wired and so a super high bandwidth wireless connection that allows streaming HD content is not a requirement for me.

So now I am about to retire the TP-Link from my home network after only owning it a couple of weeks (purchased via PC Case Gear; verified purchase). I hope to use it again when NBN comes around as a modem only. From what I have read (cannot confirm) it is a good buy for that purpose.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Good value for money

It was purchased from my local Apple agent who recommended it. It was purchased a part of a mission to improve my download speed. I changed from my old ISP to a new and the download improved.

Knowing NBN was coming the old unit was10 years old and probably not up to date technology, opted for this one.
I believe it was the major factor in raising my d/load speed from 1.9Mbps to 6.5Mbps.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Awesome and reliable

Bought this one on sale from MSY. The bandwidth handling on this router was amazing. That plus VoIP capability, was the perfect pairing for my ISP.

The router kept a stable connection to the network and internet for at leady 2 and a half years before having any issues.Would highly recommend!

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Decent NBN router for FTTN

Broadcom chipset (arguably the best chipset for compatibility and stability for fttn) @ 85 bucks. Cheap, stable and does the job. Downside is only 64mb ram and only n300 wifi (no ac). If you plan to bridge another router to it this is the perfect choice.