TP-Link TD-VG5612

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Compatible with FTTN

I bought this modem as it was cheaper than buying through the internet company I went with.

It appears to have good signal, from a distance my phone still connects without issue.

Glad I bought this for the time being. Haven't had any trouble so far and has great speeds.

If you're looking for a temporary cheaper, compatible modem, this would be for you.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great value. And it does the job!

I needed a basic modem that was compatible with my NBN technology, which is HFC, and also VoIP-enabled. This particular model was recommended to me by a Internet Service Provider rep when I signed up for NBN upgrade. Pros:
Cheaper than other modems I was considering.
Gateway interface is very easy to navigate. You wouldn't need to be too tech-savvy to configure the modem no matter who your ISP is.
Aesthetically nice and medium-small in size. NO unnecessary cosmetic antennas sticking out everywhere!
Provides a stable connection to all devices (9) in my household at all times.
Reaches max speed for my basic NBN plan.
Absolutely no modem-related dropouts so far.

Those that are after a basic entry-level modem that just works first time every time, this model is recommended.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Low cost FTTB

I chose this as a low cost replacement for the **** modem I got on my TPG FTTB contract. It does the charm at much higher wireless speeds than the modem they sent me, and I'm talking 4-5 times higher. The admin interface is also simple to use. In terms of the product design, it's well made and doesn't take much space on the table/bench. It is plastic-y, but it's also a cheap modem.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Poor DSL connectivity and dreadful wifi

I chose to take this modem/router a year ago as part of the mynetfone package, partly because I knew I had problems with the copper lines at this address and reasoned that I would get better support using the Service Provider's equipment.
In practice, this was not a good idea, as the very poor performance of the modem and router exacerbated the problems.
3 weeks ago I replaced the TP Link TD-VG5612 with a Netgear D6200, coupled with a Cisco SPA122 ATA unit for voip.
- Poor ADSL modem.
The specs say that the TD-VG5612 is a Broadcom chipset, which is normally a good choice for long copper lines, but the modem could not maintain a reliable connection. Unit was replaced with an identical model by MNF but poor performance did not change. With the TD-VG5612 we would experience 8-10 DSL dropouts per day and have to reboot the modem once or twice per day to restore connection. Since replacing with the Netgear we have had precisely 2 DSL dropouts in 3 weeks. We have only rebooted the Netgear when the electrician came to fix the light switch.
- Dreadful wifi.
The TD-VG5612 only has 2.4 Ghz and printed antennae,
We are in a built up area and I can see 14-18 2.4 networks from upstairs using inSSIDer.
The TD-VG5612 could not function in the bottom third of the 2.4 spectrum at all, and would have problems competing with neighbouring networks on channels 6 and 11. In addition, we could not use wifi and the microwave at the same time. We had no problem with the microwave with 3 other routers.
After replacing the unit with the Netgear D6200, we not only have crystal clear 5Ghz channels, but all of the issues we had with the 2.4 Ghz spectrum have gone. We can use any channel, 1, 6 or 11, without a problem, and using the microwave has no effect on the wifi.
Summary.
On paper the TD-VG5612 looks to be a cost effective all-in-one unit, offering ADSL2+, NBN certified VDSL2 and 2 voip ports plus a wireless-n 300 router.
In practice, I have found it better to go with better quality separate components.
The TD-VG5612 is good value at it's street price of about $125, if you live close to the exchange, and/or have a VDSL connection, and have very low expectations for your wifi network.

Note that the replacement kit was a fraction of the cost of the TD-VG5612.
The Netgear modem/router and the Cisco ATA were about $20 each second hand on eBay - plus postage (but I picked them up by car).

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Good for home network

I have had several different routers, but this one is a good solution for your home network. The benefit of this router is possibility to use a hard drive. It provides fast wireless and wired connections, but sometimes there are problems with disconnection. The router is good choice for private usage, but I hardly recommend it to people who are looking for working purposes.

Date PurchasedJul 2017