TP-Link TD-W8968

TP-Link TD-W8968

MPN: TDW8968

Works fine love the spikes

Works fine and much better than the one that came with iinet. The old one broke because I punched it too many time because it was useless and constantly disconnecting and took 10 minutes to reset.

I like how this one has counter measures with spikes and I've seen the more expensive ones have even more spikes so I have to think twice before smashing them if they under perform which this one doesn't.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

does the job

Bought this as I moved from NBN to ADSL2 and The current router we have does not have a built in modem. Didn't work art first but called technical support and they had it up and running in 10 minutes. Getting a drop out every 2-3 days but not sure if that's related to the router or elsewhere.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

good for the price

it's the cheapest modem router in the market and that's the best part, don't expect quality connection with it. range is very limited and if you use cable and wifi connections at the same time it will freeze or disconnect frequently. but otherwise provides an average signal quality in normal condition for not too many devices.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Good Router

I have owned this router for 3 1/2 years and it has never caused any issues, was easy to set up and has a good range of features such as a guest mode, USB port & all the features an average user would need. Also the wireless works throughout the house and back yard. I am not a gamer and don't do much streaming but I have no problems with U tube videos or Iview etc & we download movies to our Foxtel IQ3 & usually only have to wait about 30 seconds before we can start watching the movie. At a maximum of 300 Mbps wireless it easily copes with an average ADSL connection speed of 12 Mbps.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

ok for basic surfing

It is a very basic router and is good to simply surf the net with no issues but when it come to gaming, it just couldn't cope as it would lag. With the router's homepage and set up wizard it is very easy to follow. It was very easy to reconfigure the ports but overall a good basic unit for internet surfing

Date PurchasedJun 2015

impressive

I've had quite a few routers in my time, N draft, N+ ones too. I wasn't expecting a great deal from the TD-W8968 either, but I set it up incredibly quick, using the software provided (even though I normally like going into the router's settings and configuring it from there).
Apart from the fast speeds, both on wired and wireless, the RANGE of this router is phenomenal.
Stretches past 20m with 4 walls in-between and still gives me 3/5 bars on my Samsung Galaxy S III.

I'm thoroughly impressed by the product and in the future will buy more TP LINK products.
A highly suggested router, not only for affordability and flexibility (over the BT home hub) but also its range.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

For basic surfing

This router is good enough for basic Internet use, such as surfing the net or updating your Facebook account. But, I can't really recommend it to anyone who's looking to use this for work due to its speed and disconnection issues. From time to time, these problems will appear and can easily get the way of whatever task you're working on that requires a good connection.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Basic router

A good router for basic use - surfing the net, emails basic things but not the greatest for constant streaming or online gaming as the unit will cut out as it only reaches a certain mbps that is good for basic use of the internet. Has a nice desgin on the top quite a nice looking router

Date PurchasedJun 2016

No issues with it whatsoever, even being the cheapest option on the market currently.

I am a big fan of this product - it was the cheapest NBN compatible modem in Office works recently, and for the past few months, it has worked perfectly, no issues at all. The look isn't as lovely as perhaps some others (I like a simpler design, or smaller design even) but it works fine and that's all that matters. Highly recommend.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

sent two of these modems by previous internet providers- ended up disconnecting them and going strai

I was sent two of these routers (exactly the same) by two different internet service suppliers.(Despite the fact that each internet provider swore that they were set up differently) Didn't end up making a shred of difference in regards my internet speeds (in fact, I think they made my speeds slower) Recently went to a new Internet provider, who did not supply me with a new router (was honest enough to say the ones I currently had would do the job) Found I could not configure these routers to my new provider, so unplugged the router and plugged the blue cable that runs from the NBN modem on the wall straight into my laptop. (Instant connection) and no speed or drop out issues. At the end of the day I was sold two modems at $39.00 each, that I did not need to begin with? A bit miffed, but you live and learn.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Horrible drops out also slow

Slow speeds drops out of service constantly will never buy again.. . . save your money and buy a decent unit because it will end up cheaper and less stress in the long run. . . . also don't use this modem with dodo you'll be regretting it badly. .

Date PurchasedJan 2016

cheap unit got me out of trouble

Purchased this wireless modem router recently as my old netgear modem packed it in.
This TD-W8968 is for ADSL services only NOT NBN services, but what do you want for the $40-$60 purchase fee
It has a USB 2.0 port at the rear to allow network sharing of music video and other files through a connected hard drive. It has 4 ports at rear which can allow hard wired connections if preferred over wireless connection.
It allows wireless connection to laptop/desktop/notebooks/mobiles/printers/etc.
It has a stop/start button at the rear which is easy to access.
It has a wireless on/off button at rear
It has a WPS button which allows for easy wireless connection to printers/etc or even to ducted air conditioner wireless connection to data mobile phones. From memory, I think you first press the WPS button on the modem and then go and quickly press the wireless button on the printer/etc, it quick connects wireless. However, you can connect wireless to printer,etc by following another longer, step by step connect method.
Importantly, it has the superior broadcom chip inside which is more connection stable rather than the older slower Trendchip which was in the version 1 and version 2 models. Versions 3,4 and 5 all have the newer better Broadcom chip. You can tell which version it is by looking at the bar-code on the box and which version it is, is written under the right bar-code
Installation was easy but for some reason it did not connect to internet my first attempt - so the good point here is that TP-LINK give you a number (on the quick set up instructions) to ring which connects you to some Asian country where their service officer can guide you through the hoops manually to connection (this service is free I think whilst the unit is still under warranty). I paid the extra $10 for the model TD-W8968 (over the cheaper TD-8960 model which is blue and grey) because it has a nice white colour which suited my decor and because of the TD-8968 has a USB port which might come in handy one day. If you don't want the USB port or the white colour get the $10 cheaper TD8960 model (all versions of these 8960's have the better Broadcom chip)
The only down-sides of the unit I found was that the indicator lights are hard to read and see because they are so small, you have to get up close to see what lights on or off, the other issue is that it can only lay flat on its belly and not vertically up-right (like my old netgear) for tighter, smaller spaces on your desk
It comes with LAN port hard wire cable for hard-wire PC to modem connection if preferred to wireless connection.
It comes with an ADSL2 splitter / filter included,
It comes with a connection cable from phone socket/splitter/filter to ADSL port on the modem
It comes with a power lead /transformer
Purchased this unit because it is a low cost but modern fast modem until I can get NBN connected, then of course I will get the new NBN modem free with new NBN contract (which most ISP's do)

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Update: Had the W8968 since 10/7/17 and working great - no problems or hiccups

Value for money

This is a very compact Modem Router.
It easy to setup. It has a very nice web interface with clear step by step instructions.
The coverage is reasonable. However the signal fades a bit when you step outside of the house.
Most of all a very reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Good on a Budget

My old modemwas giving me promblems and I found out 4 years later it was a trail one that DODO gave me when I first signed out. DODO gave me this TP Link Modem when I said I wasnt happy with there internet. I found TP Link easy to set up and easy to use. Its fast and Iso far I havent had any issues with it. You can buy one cheap on Ebay

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

It does what it says and thats it

These come bundled with most internet providers and do the job and that is it. They work but do not expect anything special. The ISP providers most likely say they are super doper modems so people think they are getting something better than they are. I got my from an ISP and have now left that ISP due to bad customer service.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

This is perfect. Made the right choice..

Excellent. Works well. IT has wide range and reaches all corners of the house. Very powerful and good looks. Looking forward to recommend anyone looking for a home ADSL+2 modem. This is worth the price too and installs quickly. There is nothing negative I found about this modem. Excellent buy.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Watch out for the version number

We had one of these bundled with our Dodo home DSL package. The original was a V2 and from day one we experienced multiple issues with speed, reliability, DNS issues etc. Finally had a replacement unit sent which is now version 4 with new chipset and firmware and it has been much better (although this morning we've had issues with it). Not a great modem but OK for the price. I am going to get something else next time though.

Worst router ever!!

I went out one day hoping to get the router I was wanting but I went out and purchased one huge mistake! Runs slow all the time, if you want to play online gaming whilst someone watching a movie it's impossible! Don't recommend to anyone! Terrible router!! I wouldn't want anyone buying this, it worked well for a few days but then went terrible. I was truly shocked at the results I received worst thing I have ever used!! Don't buy!

worst router ive ever had!

thought buying this to replace the 1 Telstra supplied would be an improvement but NO! A very temperamental POS. most problems occur with the wifi . on off on off and then the reception has always been weak (even in a safe position away from electronics etc). Zero stars from me!

This device is working as expected

I bought this ADSL+ modem/router 9 months back. It is providing me with uninterrupted internet. Keep it on all the time and the downlink/uplink speed hovers around 7/1Mbps or 8/1Mbps. It is kept on all the time. One thing I have noticed is, when I stop and start the modem the sync doesn't happen that fast, it takes time or I need to restart the modem/router again.
Have logged the purchasing of the TP-link + BB: [link removed]. It is reasonably priced modem/router with 3 years warranty, comes with "Ready for NBN", IPv6 support, ADSL 2+ filter splitter and many other features.
I am happy with the device.

I believe that there should be a continuous review feature where by individuals could review the same product after few months or year(s). The device is working as expected even now. May be once in six months require rebooting for some unforeseen issues[like loss of wifi signal, unable to get data].Keep it on 24/7.