TP-Link N600 TD-W8980

TP-Link N600 TD-W8980

Great modem router

Heaps of features. Fast wifi speeds. TP-Link routers always offer a large range of configuration options compared to other brands. Easy to setup and we have communication with all of our technology devices in our home. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a reliable router or to upgrade.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Does the Job for a ADSL connection

The modem has done a fantastic job of handling a share house workload with multiple connections, the Dual band plus gigabit connection has handled mutiple devices such as PS4s, PC's and a bunch of phones without issue, my only complaint would be that it's sold on the premise of being NBN compatible however does not support the new VDSL standard that FTTN contains.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

Never had a problem

I've own this router for 3+ years and it still works well. I've never had a problem with it. I have used it on ADSL, never on NBN. I've used it predominantly in a 2 bedroom apartment setting with multiple devices connected at once - never had an issues with the router.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Solid router, ticks all the boxes

Have had this router for some time now, and it is as solid as it ever was. It doesn't wow, but it doesn't disappoint either. Wireless printing, USB Media Server, and dualband wifi have all worked from the get go, and they're still goong strong. Reception could be a bit better, and stability in maintaining a solid signal has deteriorated over time, but not enough to make me worry about it. Overall, good product.

Date PurchasedSep 2013

Great Price

Great modem for the price, lots off features. Mainly bought it for the QoS feature. Also able to use on adsl or nbn. Have had no problems what so ever. Easy to use interface, the wifi could be a bit better. Overall great product for the price. I have 3 of these in my network all perform very well.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Modem n600

We have had this modem for appox 4 to 5 years during this time it has performed nearly faultlessy As is the way with most technical things it occasionally needs to be turned on and off but other than that has performed to the requirements that we need having 2 lap tops and 3 phones being used constantly

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Frequently loses DHCP to ISP

I hope you like to live on the edge! Because TP-Link equipment is always on the edge!
Live on the edge of your seat as you constantly fear the DHCP loss! Be ready to sprint to reset the router at any given time whenever you torrent! Be ready to look up the manual every single time you want to add a port-forward! And above all, be ready to aim 18 frames ahead of your opponents in case of a lag spike!
All this and more, with the TP-Link W8980! Oh, and it's pretty much impossible to share a wireless connection as an ethernet connection.

All of that said - at least it's better than D-Link equipment...

Date PurchasedDec 2016

"NBN ready" ...but couldn't really handle it

I bought this as my old DSL modem died and I knew I'd be moving to an NBN area in the next few months. It worked fine as a DSL modem but at my new premises I had nothing but problems. Granted, my ISP provider was Exetel but we'll save that for another review!

The two main issues I had was the NBN connection would frequently get dropped and NAT table would lock up. Often the WAN light would go solid instead of blinking and I wouldn't even be able to log into the modem. I found myself power cycling the modem quite frequently. TP-link support eventually sent me hacked replacement with special firmware which I trialled for a couple of months before moving on to the Archer C7 AC1700. You can read my review on that one too.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Alright, but not the greatest wifi signal.

I bought the router because it has gbps ethernet and I intend to use 95% of my stuff wired, which works completely fine, using wifi however the signal is a bit lower and speeds suffer slightly depending on how far away I am, If i was buying and taking wifi speeds more into account i would be looking at something else.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Mid range with good price

Have this for more than 2 years now. I bought this for 90 dollars. It may not be the best model that you can get. But with that price. It worths every dollar that you spend. Easy to setup. Has long range wifi connection and can get two connections (including the short one).

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Good modem

Bought this from online, the signal strength is quite good, wifi range is very awesome, NBN ready as well.
The modem it self is good, rarely had problem with the modem and barely drops.
It has setting of 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz which is additional plus for your optional .

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Good, reliable router for the average user

I have been using this router for around a year now with a regular ADSL2+ plan. The router has all of the basic requirements and the usual features/settings via the web interface. The signal strength is also quite good, easily reaching 20m even through quite a few walls (naturally, the 2.4GHz band extends further, however 5GHz is also available and is definitely more reliable). Also has USB and file server feature, which I found quite useful. Overall, this is a good medium spec router for the average family.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Cheap price but weak signal

I bought is hoping that it will work better than my existing huawei modem as the signal upstairs in my two storey house was very weak. however, it give same signal strength.
Easy to configure and as good as any other modem.
Price is very cheap compare to other product with same configurations.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

An alright router

Setting up both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz allow different uses depends on where you are and how close you are to the router. However, it requires an adequate set up location for better range as the signal drops off if there's a wall or a wall corner between your device and the router.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

its not bad as a budget adsl2 modem

According to the other reviews it looks like it only works as a adsl2+ modem/router. I don't have nbn so cannot comment on that. Its flawless for adsl2+ stability and options. Been using it for more than 3 months and has not died on me yet. It seems that Tp link modem quality is really low in general. Had a previous cheaper model tp link adsl modem and it died after a year.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Unreliable & very slow

I run NBN at home. The modem has two bands 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
2.4ghz works only with 10 metres, 5ghz your lucky to get 2 metres range.
The modem will Drop out on heightened demand, as in watching Netflix.. cannot watch a whole movie without a modem restart.
We have 2 mobile phones, 1 iPad & 1 TV linked the modem. When two devices use YouTube at once, he modem freezes and needs a restart.
For 2017, this technology is completely outdated and unable to stream consistently an acceptable internet connection.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Didn't work for fttb nbn

Couldn't get it working for fttb nbn, tried everything possible with isp over the phone and tp-link support. The nbn technician who came out to check said that the only modems he finds issues with are tp-link. He confirmed that it wasn't my connection, it was the modem.
Happy to say that i replaced it with a D-Link DSL-2885A Wireless AC1200 and it worked straight away!

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Crap modem

This is one of the worst modems i have ever used. It was set up on NBN as wireless router. The wan port kept limiting bandwith back to dial up speeds tried everything to correct. Only was to get it to work were factory resets. Software faults. Now it is in a boot cycle trying to start a bit like a RAM failure. Has gone back under warranty for replacement.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Complete junk

First router wouldn't connect reliably through wireless and now have same problem with the replacement. My s4 drops on and off, a near new iPhone 6 and brand new Acer laptop simply couldn't connect. Error message repeatedly that password is incorrect when it is not. Back to the shop again. Don't buy one

Wifi range is terrible! Don't buy.

I owned a TD8960N (half the price) which only has 10/100 lan and 2.4Ghz.

On the back of the TP-Links modem boxes the TD-8980 is supposed to the best with 5Ghz Wifi and 1G lan.

After setting up this new modem in exactly the same spot I found at 5-7m (approximately 2 bedrooms distance) I can only get 2 bars reception go any further and I my phone/tablets lose signal. Whereas my previous TD8960N travelled at least 20-25m (not just 2 bedrooms aways but right down to the front of my property).

The real kicker was I bought 3 of these hunk of crap (house/office/folks house) all have the same issue.

Unless you are planning on only using the Wifi in the same room the modem is in, DO NOT PURCASE THIS HEAP OF CRAP.

And no guest network, I didn't even look for that on the packaging I just assumed it was a given.

EDIT: 6/4/16 - Because the wifi reception was so bad I moved the modem to the centre of my house whilst it's stopped the Wifi dropping off it is still rubbish 1/5 of the distance as the cheaper TD8960. I am going to flog my modems on ebay after 2 weeks probably only get 1/2 price I paid for them but they are that bad.

Any review that praises this modem or gives is anymore than 1 star was done on a bench with the laptop right next to the modem.