UniSuper

UniSuper

See the Best Industry Super Funds in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for UniSuper? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

2.2
  • Insurance Options
  • Income Protection
  • Rates and Fees

Forced Super and try to stop you transferring

Forced to this fund and every time I try to transfer to my SMSF they change the form or delay or lose the forms, anything to hold onto YOUR money. Should not be compulsory.

Simon
SimonSouth East Queensland, QLD

There are much better Super fund choices

I've been with Unisuper for over 7 years, my work is unfortunately locked to them.
I give them 1 out of 5 because I found the staff unhelpful and generally rude, both face to face and on the phone. Their processes are disjointed and clunky, their website is also difficult to navigate and needs updating. I recently found out off a fellow staff member that my contributions were being taken in a way that was wasting $50 of my wages per pay cycle.
I wouldn't recommend Unisuper, from my experiences they lack integrity and professionalism.

K Brown
K BrownMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Disgusting treatment of an elderly long-term member

Robert L

UNI SUPER new member

Kylea B.
Kylea B.Far North Queensland, QLD

Excellent Platform and Returns

I love the fact that I can change my investment options easily and see see very easily how much returns I have made in the past. I find the staff very approachable and helpful on the phone as well

Super Funds Awards 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Jan 2022
super-funds-awards-2020
Credit Card Awards 2020

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
credit-card-awards-2020
What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019
what-is-peer-to-peer-lending
Brodie M.
Brodie M.South East Queensland, QLD

Untrustworthy

The inbuilt insurance claim process for DBD members is disjointed. Different staff provide conflicting information and varying instructions. The staff have no integrity, and have demonstrated bad faith on countless different occasions.

Being in a position to claim life insurance has been stressful on myself and my family, but unisuper has made the situation so much more stressful than necessary. It feels like Uni super has has gone above and beyond to ensure we only get a fraction of our insured amount. Sadly the situation has been escalated to AFCA.

Karu K.
Karu K.

Very poor flexibility for investment savy members

I have been with this fund for 27 yrs now. Unisuper does not update your investment balance on a daily basis. When you switch investment options it takes two to three business days to take effect and they use the crediting unit rates at the end of 2nd (or 3rd) business day when they calculate the balance after the switching. There are other funds which use the crediting unit rates on the day of submitting the switch. Two days is a long time in a volatile investment environment. In Unisuper, you cannot invest in any specific shares but there are other super funds that you can do this. You cannot see the investment performance between selected days graphically (this option was there earlier but has been removed now).

Marty Y
Marty YGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great product

Working for a university I was not happy at first being required to use UniSuper under the EBA, but I can't question the returns they've delivered. Lots of options to adjust your investment strategy and frequent updates on how things are going, particularly when the market was up and down during COVID.

Fees are very low as you'd expect from an industry fund.

I don't use their insurance/income protection so cannot comment on that.

I am confident in their management of my super and even now when I'm moving out of the teritary sector I plan to keep using UniSuper as my fund for my next role.

heather
heatherHobart, TAS

Inconsistent information and service

There is a need to keep checking in on pension payments and pension creations. Information seems nit be transparent from team to team with misinformation if incorrect information continually given

Bobb09
Bobb09Gippsland, VIC

Questionable accounting practices

Micco
MiccoSydney, NSW

Happy customer

I've been with Unisuper for over 10 years in their High Growth, Sustainable High Growth, Global Companies in Asia and Global Environmental Opportunities options. Easy to use, easy to contact. The returns have been very good for example $10,000 in 2012 (start) would be $27,240 on 21/4/2020 (mid coronavirus) for their Global companies in Asia option.

Gary W.
Gary W.South East Queensland, QLD

Choose a better Super Fund!

Certified con artists. Stay away

Even a dog gets it right in a bull market. They will stop answering your calls or returning emails when you call to switch your super. Universities need to be investigated on forcing their staff to use this good-for-nothing fund. Nothing that they will do despite the rut the market is going through. Not sure if they have interns as their so called fund managers.

Dr. Ikram Bajwa
Dr. Ikram Bajwaasked

I am working with a Company as Part-Time from many years and I am using CBA EssentialSuper.
Few months ago, I also have started a Research Assistance Casual Job with University. University is using UniSuper.

My question is that, can I also use CBA EssentialSuper for my University Casual Job? Instead of UniSuper?

PReb
PRebasked

I am a 65 year's old and in a normal growth account. If I move to Pension fund I gather I must accept a minimum of 5%. What is the last 5 to 10 years growth for my balance in a default fund.>

midlifetraveller
midlifetravellerasked

I am somewhat surprise to see quite a few negative comments about Unisuper. Although I also had a few bad experiences with particular call centre staff over the last 2-3 years my overall impression is that Unisuper is relatively and comparatively quite acceptable. Does anyone have a general view or opinion here on Unisuper?

How good (or bad) a super fund is for you will depend on what you are after. Some people may want updates every month, some are happy with a statement once a year. The more updates, the higher the expenses because you want more from the fund. You might be happy with the default investment option. Generally this is fairly aggressive with investments in shares, private (smaller) companies, hedge funds and other alternative investments. This is great if you want growth and you are happy to ride out the next market dip, but may not be great if you are a conservative investor. A super fund is an investment vehicle, it is where you want to take the vehicle that is important. like every car, it is the hidden stuff under the bonnet that determines how well the fund performs, and that is the stuff you need to look into. Kenmore Financial are professional financial advisers if you need further advice.

Lulu
Lulu

UniSuper are the worst fund for member care. Read all the other poor reviews. I have opened a case against them with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority.

stu.mather
stu.mather

I've been with them since the 90's. I've had no issue with them. Competitive fees and good returns. The numerous awards they've won speak for themselves. Here's some Chant West ratings..
SHORT TERM:
- BUSSQ All Shares 21.7%
- CFS FirstChoice High Growth 21.6%
LONG TERM
Top 10 All Growth investment options: 10 years to December 2019
Super fund Investment option Return (% per yr)
UniSuper High Growth 10.2%