Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer

Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer

Pros

• Multiple Promotional Offers to choose from (see Details below)

• $129 Virgin Australia Gift Voucher each year

• Earn Velocity Points at a rate of 0.66 points per $1 spent up to $1,500 per statement period

Cons

• 3.3% International Transaction Fee

• Earn Rate drops to 0.5 points per $1 spent after the first $1,500 per statement period

CategoryFrequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards, Balance Transfer Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
Card TypeVisa
BenefitsComplimentary Travel Insurance, Reduced First Year Annual Fee, Sign-Up Bonus Points Offer and Travel Credit
Minimum Credit Limit $6,000
Maximum Credit Limit $50,000
Minimum Income $35,000
Additional Cardholders 4
Additional Cardholder Fee $39 p.a.
Minimum Repayments2%
Rewards ProgramVelocity Frequent Flyer
Points Earn Rate 0.66 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 0.66 points per $1 for the first $1500 of spend in each statement period,

• 0.5 points per $1 after $1500 of spend in each statement period.

Contactless PaymentsSamsung Pay
Annual Fee$129 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 3.3%
Overseas ATM Withdrawal Fee$5
Interest Free Period 44 days
Cash Advance Rate20.99% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus

Earn up to 40,000 bonus Velocity Points (20,000 points each month when you spend $1,500 or more in the first 2 months)

Introductory Rate 0% p.a. for up to 14 months on purchases.
Introductory Offers

Choose from one of the following sign-up offers:

• 0% p.a. for 26 months on balance transfers & half the annual fee in your first year, $129 thereafter

• 0% p.a. for up to 14 months on purchases, 0% p.a. for 6 months on balance transfers & half the annual fee in your first year, $129 thereafter

• Earn up to 40,000 bonus Velocity Points (receive 20,000 points for each month you spend $1,500 or more on eligible transactions in the first 2 months from card approval) plus, half the annual fee in your first year, $129 thereafter

Reduced First Year Annual Fee $65
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 6 months
Balance Transfer Rate 0% p.a.
Balance Transfer Fee 0%
Release dateJuly 2010

• Rates and Fees
  • Rewards
  • Online Experience
  • Application Process

The worse company to deal with

I would stay away - far away from Virgin Money altogether as a company. I have been attempting to close my credit card since August 2020. They won't refund my remaining credit balance. The worse possible customer service - not even their complaint department will help you. Had to send over 50 emails to get some kind of answer. I want my REFUND and the credit card CLOSED so that I do not have to deal with this horrible company ever again!! How difficult is this to do?????????
You do not deserve a one star...

Christopher

ChristopherMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Worst customer service I have ever encounted!!!!!

I used a $129 Virgin Australia voucher, which was a reward for having this card and I used it to book a flight before Covid-19 struck. Virgin Australia cancelled those flights and repaid the velocity points back to me but never ever paid the $129 that they stole. I have tried to contact Virgin, Virgin Velocity etc time and time again and if you can get them to answer the phone then good luck. Virgin Australia has to be the worst customer service EVER!!!!! Be Warned.

Kirra

KirraSouth East Queensland, QLD

Interest charging method is disgusting

If you don't pay your closing balance in full they still charge you for interest on the total closing balance! Not just the portion you havent paid. They also dont factor in other credits to your account. Absolutely disgusting - moving to qantas points for sure!

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Find out how Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer compares to other Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Teenagemutant

TeenagemutantAU

Terrible customer service

Had this card for two years for velocity points. Was going to cancel card when virgin airlines went into administration. Contacted virgin money online asked for annual fee to be refunded while velocity points unusable. They agreed then charged me the annual fee, then offered to refund half. On hold to customer services for ages, staff that don’t speak good English. Done with them and never going back. Will not use citi group again for any credit card.

Steer Clear - Horrendous Customer Service

annoyed

annoyedGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Would give zero if I could

Transferred money from my bank to cc account. Never made it. Contacted on 16/3, 18/3, 19/3, 20/3, 23/3 no response to email, lied to on the phone about transfer on 23/3. Money still not there now 30/3 and they have advised me to go back to my bank even though they have advised twice that my money is at virgin. Utterly incompetent.

Joey

JoeyWheatbelt, WA

Must have

I have got this card since 2018. Works fine and the texture of the card is really nice. Mastercard is always a secure choice. I think that everybody should have this kind of card

Jack H.

Jack H.

Good bonus points but much better Velocity earning cards out there

Bonus points offered was 20,000 points each month for first 3 months which is awesome. However the card has a capped earn rate for the top rate, then reduces for subsequent spends, which is not great. Limited insurances offered with the card as well.

Denny

Denny

Nice card to collect Velocity Points

This credit card gives you a good Velocity Point for every dollar you spend. You can just link your Velocity number and the points will be transferred to your Velocity membership each month. Very nice and easy! I signed up when there was a promotion to get bonus Velocity Points if I spent more than $1500, and also I got $129 credit to spend with Virgin Australia and I only need to pay $64 annual fee. I haven't used this card overseas or to do balance transfer so I cannot comment on that but I use it for my daily spend as a quick way to accumulate Velocity Points.

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Apply when bonus is on offer

Got this card as a standby for an upcoming overseas trip. The overseas fees are somewhat high compared to other cards. As this is a back up card only I thought that the sign up bonus points made the application worth it.

Moh A.

Moh A.Sydney, NSW

Virgin money

Generally its handy to use it overseas however fees are high
Transfer money to card I found it hard
I enjoyed the 14 months interest free period
But very hard to accumulate points

Nick

NickPerth, WA

Good for the sign-on bonus, not much else

The card is pretty basic, but the current offer for bonus points is pretty decent for the reduced annual fee in the first year. The application process was pretty quick and I received the card not long after.
The card I received is suppose to have paywave, but it doesn't work, the terminal won't even register it so I have to insert the chip every time.
It doesn't work with Apple or Google Pay, which sucks.
The Virgin Money website and app are very underwhelming.
In a nutshell, it's a throwaway card that I wouldn't bother keeping past the first year.

bloomer

bloomerGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Can be useful, but not a card to keep

Dev

DevGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Perfect

I haven't use my card overseas yet. Its easy to transfer my balance to this card. I am quite satisfied with the rewards. It is simple easy to accumulate points and simple to redeem them.

Michael

Michael

So so

I went for the bonus points promotion which was my main focus. They also provided a flight voucher (domestic). The points you gain afterwards are not really comparable but a bonus.

Application Process
Card Start DateJune 2017
Card / Account Used For
  • Overseas/Travel

Ross W

Ross WPerth, WA

New features are growing on me

This is a great card in general, offering lounge passes, and Virgin flight credit ($149). I preferred the old system of a flight redemption.
Never had a problem using it, and the Virgin Money app helps track usage and bills.
The frequent flyer reward points per dollar are on par with more expensive (annual fee) cards, and are linked directly to your Velocity account. Likewise the lounge passes are linked directly to your Velocity account, so easy to claim at the airport lounge door.
Only downside is the flight credit needs to be ordered in advance, and is issued as a gift card. So great if you know you are travelling in the next 6 months, but not so great if you notice a sale fare come up and want to grab it quickly.

evan

evanPerth, WA

Deleted my points

I went to use my FF program to book a flight that I have been putting off. Only to find out my points have expired. It's like taking money out of your bank account!

ngupn10

ngupn10Darling Downs, QLD

Handy card but can be slow to accumulate points

I have been using this card now for close to 5 months, its a convenient way to earn points on everyday purchases. Although the it can be slow to accumulate the points (e.g. 0.66 points per $1 spent for 1st $1000, decreasing to 0.5 points thereafter). They do offer a nice incentive of a yearly $129 flight voucher which is a bonus

rowdy1961

rowdy1961AU

Velocity has proven to be a big disappointment

Have travelled a lot with virgin Australia. Status points on domestic flights are very limited making them useless. 2 lounge passes are only valid for the domestic lounge, which is useless if you travel mostly international.
Often is difficult to know what rewards will be received as they are NEVER DISCLOSED until after flight..They should be shown as part of the booking.
Velocity do not reward virgin passengers as they should. Seems to be more oriented towards shopping then air travel rewards..I have found them somewhat difficult to deal with..

Luckyone

LuckyoneMelbourne

Better points than Qantas

I prefer this card than the qantas FF credit card as you earn points quicker and there are less points requred to redeem for flights on velocity compared to Qantas FF. Also Qantas charges very high airport taxes and fees on their award flights compared to Virgin.