Volkswagen Beetle

Volkswagen Beetle

2000-2010 and A5 (2013-2016)

Looks great but DSG and VW Servicing are problematic

We purchased this car new in 2013 as we had wanted the new Beetle for some time. We chose the DSG given the majority of the driving would be done in the city. Straight away we noticed the trickiness of the DSG at low speeds, on starting, on inclines and reversing up inclines. The DSG simply hated those situations. On one occasion during servicing at a Metro VW Dealer in Melbourne the right hand front mudguard was dented but the dealer denied this. At 31/2 years and 21,000km the clutch packs in the DSG burnt out and had to be replaced under warranty. I had raised this months earlier at the 3 year service but the dealer advised nothing was wrong. We had to go through a number of approvals to get this done under the extended warranty. During this clutch pack replacement procedure the engine bay was dented on either side - again the dealer denied doing this. The Beetle was a great looking car but we recently sold it as the VW Extended Warranty was coming to and end in August 2018 and we had little confidence in the DSG or in VW Dealers or VW Australia in terms of assisting with any issues out of warranty given what we had experienced and read online.

Date PurchasedAug 2013

what a great 2+2 coupe

We have only had it 2 years but all is going very well.7speed DSG is fantastic,cant notice gear changes,1.4 litre twin charged goes like crazy.Interior has a few minor faults.Sunvisors are too short for side sun glare,seat height adjuster lever gets pushed every time we hop in.Servicing costs are on the high side but fuel consumpsion is great.So far we are very happy with our first VW.As we are only a couple it has plenty of room for travelling with back seats down.Platinum grey paint job is superb in and out.Yes people do look but we love it.They are or were over priced but there is no mistaking what you are driving.A very unique car!

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Great head turning car.

My wife and i bought this car 12 months ago with Tech Pack and Sunroof as extras. So far we have traveled just over 10000km. The car has been completely reliable with only one very minor warranty issues to address. VW Sutherland have been excellent to deal with and there customer service has been great so far. The driving dynamics are very good, the car handles well and its a quiet ride. The engine packs some punch and has full torque available from 1500rpm; with the manual transmission it has excellent throttle response. We have averaged 7.1 L/100 with 50/50 urban and country driving.
While not a practical family car with its four seats and coupe design (by a Golf if you want that), the Beetle is an icon of the VW brand and is the type of car that leaves you happy and puts a smile on your face. Unlike the weird looking 'New Beettle,' the 3rd generation Beetle as it is known looks fantastic with its great road presence. We have been pleasantly surprised at just how many heads the car turns and by the positive comments from passer byes or from the driver next to us when waiting at traffic lights. Don't buy a Beetle if you don't like being noticed.

Badge0
TransmissionManual
Have now owned this car for 2 years and 27000 km. Has been an excellent car with zero issues. Love the throttle response and performance from the 118 tsi twin charger. It has the updated CTHD engine so has been utterly reliable. No oil top ups between services. Fuel economy has improved to 6.8 /100km. It will regularly do 6 /100 on a highway trip. Still get many positive comments from others when pulled up at lights or at the shopping center car park.Now owned our Beetle for 3 years. So far it's been a great car. Fun to drive in manual spec. Engine has been faultless at 42000k. Oil consumption is 100 mils per 15000km. Fuel consumption is 7k per 100km. Tyres have another 10-15k on them. Great looking classic car.

New "The Beetle" 2015 (MY16)

Bought this car new recently, fully optioned with R-Line Pack (spoiler, 18 inch alloys 235/45/18 inch wheels), Sat-Nav, Deluxe pack (leather seats, bi-xenon lights, led daytime lights, etc. Colour: silk blue (metallic colour). Petrol engine (TSi118) and 7 speed DSG (Auto) gearbox.

I have only owned this car for a month so I can't post a definitive review in terms of reliability as yet, however so far so good. I think the car looks stylish, this latest model is flatter and more "masculine" than the previous "Mickey Mouse" shaped model, and has vaguely similar lines to a Porsche 911. It's fun to drive and handles well, plenty of power in the 1.4 ltr turbo/supercharged motor. My research has told me that VW has ironed out the motor/gearbox issues that plagued the earlier model beetle. Only time and kilometres will tell. Finish quality is excellent with colour coded dash plastics that emulate the first beetle interior. Instruments panel also resembles the old Beetle.

I love my new Beetle and so does my wife. The car was expensive and I believe somewhat overpriced but I believe it's worth the cost to own this iconic, stylish machine that manages to turn heads wherever we go.

BadgeR-Line Version
TransmissionAutomatic
Still have the Beetle and have only done 13,0000 klms. Extremely happy and it's still a head turner! As the motor has worn in a little it seems to be performing better as well

Fun car ruined by build quality and now a blown motor

178,000 kilometres later and our 1999 VW beetle has bitten the dust, It was regularly maintained but still wore out. Motor lost compression, oil started disappearing, fuel consumption went through the roof. Upside, it was A very nice looking car and a lot of fun to drive. We have the 2 litre engine and it is (or was) pretty adequate in performance. Very bouncy car, but part of the fun. Interior quality is appalling to say the least. Cheap, tacky plastic everywhere. Cup holders are broken, centre console is broken, vanity mirror lights had to be taken out as they kept coming on, bonnet (hood) requires two people to raise it, one pulling on lever whilst other tries to lift hood. Petrol cap lid often doesn't pop up. Lights stay on at various times and don't go off. Cannot repair front parking light without taking half the front of the car out. Starter motor wore out. Gone through second set of brake rotors (and this is a manual, so we don't live on the brakes like an auto) A replacement key for this car cost 700 dollars to replace from dealer. Various warning lights on dash appear and then they go, such as the engine management light which we have had fixed twice at great expense. It is back on again now. CD player has worn out. Speakers crackle, Doors come loose. Constantly needing to get out the special screwdriver to tighten those star shaped screws. But, do you know what? I still want to keep it. It is actually my wife's car, but I really like it as well. I cannot recommend them, but I understand why so many people love them. If you are in the hunt for one, I would buy the latest model you could afford. Service costs at VW are scurrilously expensive, and our local mechanic won't touch it beyond the basic oil change, plug check etc. We tried to get a reconditioned motor, but very few companies want to know about them. Nobody wants to fix the engine, and there are plenty of second hand engines around for 500 dollars or so in our town. We have spoken to a number of mechanics in our area and everyone says avoid them. I would have to agree with them having had this one for five years.

Body0

Brillant car

I bought a Beetle for my wife. I must I was sceptical at first but test driving the car I was very impressed. The build quality is excellent and the handling exceptional not to forget the smooth ride exceeding that of comparable other cars. Not only will I be selling my car to buy a Volkswagen so are many of our friends and relatives. A sensational car to drive with great reliability and classic styling that never dates.
Handles beautifully, excellent build quality, attractive body shape.

OK

I loved this car for the way it looked and the way you feel when driving it. However, it is highly impractical, and is really only comfortable for two people. If you want a car that looks hot, but not much else, BUY IT!
Looks great, fun to drive, people stare at you when you drive it!! Exceptional european quality, will last forever without much maintenance. Fuel efficient, yet still powerful!
Space inside is limited by the huuuge dash! Back seats are cramped and the roof curves over so only children can sit in there comfortably without hitting their heads. Base model has limited features.

BodyHatch
A sensational car to drive, great fun!

Bad

I have had nothing with problems with my VW Beetle since buying it. It's been in and out of the mechanic and I've spent literally thousands getting it towed, repaired, towed again... Each time I've had it on the tow truck, I've asked the driver whether they get many Beetles broken down and have had the same response- HEAPS. AVOID THESE CARS...
It looks good.
It's a lemon.

BodyHatch
If you bought a car that has been abused of course it will break down. As for asking Tow truck drivers their opinion, what do they know about cars! I have had far more problems with my Holden Commodore than you can imagine.

OK

Superior German Design matched with crappy Mexican build quality. This is actually a really fun, nippy, safe and easy to drive car. Pleasurable motoring until things start going wrong. Mine is the 2001 model. Later models have many of the electrical problems ironed out but are sold now mainly with the lacklustre 1.6 litre petrol engine. Try to get the diesel 5 speed manual if you need a bit of performance.
Unique & groovy external looks. Remarkably spacious cabin for driver and front passenger, handles neatly, robust and snappy Golf-based 2.0 litre engine and 5 speed gear box. Great fuel economy. Simple but high quality sound system. Excellent seating and appointments ergonomics. Sturdy, easy to operate sunroof. Ice cold airconditioning
Wacky electronics (check engine light & SRS light come on inexplicably), flimsy power window switches, fragile window regulators (a very expensive repair), cheap, poor-wearing & easily damaged plastic interior trim & components. Leaks water on passenger side during and after heavy rain. Dash board is pointlessly huge while rear passenger space is tiny. Massively expensive spare parts. Dealer support is wildly expensive.

BodyHatch
Poor build??? I totally disagree. I relation to use of space of course it is not as practical as a Golf but the Beetle is all about style. If you want a practical car buy a Golf