Yves Saint Laurent Opium

3.6

Pam

PamSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Straw to short

I have worn Opium perfume for a great number of years. The scent has become weaker over the last five years and also the straw is far too short to access the remaining fluid. I used a hack saw to remove the lid.

Where is the smell?

Very disappointed in my Opium scent; so the company has deviated from the wonderfully heady scent that once upon a time was unmistakable. Now days- just a feeble memory. Cheap mixology doesn't become you Yves Saint Laurent.

alexcjwalshSydney, NSW

EDP versus EDT and Packaging Design

I have worn Opium (original) for more than two decades, it is my favourite for both day and night. I often get compliments! Eau de parfum is much stronger than eau de toilette and lasts all day long, unlike the EDT which appears to fade within an hour or so. Not a great amount of difference in price so I will always buy the EDP but it is proving hard to find. Packaging of both is the same and not great as the 'straw' is too short and irritatingly leaves about 5mls at the bottom of every bottle, I lever off the top to decant the dregs into another bottle so as not to be wasteful.

Outstanding

The best perfume my wife has ever worn, All comment on the fragrance,seems to last all day, I will be buying more for my wife in future, great perfume, great fragrance

Old and new

I have some opium left from a bottle from the 80s. It is much stronger than the new version. The new version is the same smell except has a lighter more airy feel to it. My old perfume will last the whole day. The new does not. Bring back the old! Or make both. One for hypoallergenic people. And the good stuff for the rest of us!

Missholly1234

Missholly1234Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Not as good as it used to be !!

I fell in love with Opium in 1980 ...no matter what perfume I buy , I always like a bottle of Opium in my cupboard ..
    Once I could open the wardrobe door and the beautiful smell of Opium was in my clothes.
    Unfortunately ...not any more ...I don't know if the ingredients have been changed ( a suggestion the sales girl made) but it is definitely not as strong as it used to be ...I always buy the parfum and from Myer or David Jones ..

Missholly1234

Missholly1234Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Not like it used to be !!!

I fell in love with Opium in 1980 ..no matter what perfume I try I find myself going back to Opium Parfum ...
    However, the last couple of bottles have been disappointing ...it's like the ingredients have been changed.
    Once you could open my cupboard and the fragrance of Opium perfume on my clothing was beautiful
    Unfortunaetly not anymore.
    I recently purchased another bottle of Opium Perfume and l'm still disappointed that the strength of perfume just isn't there..maybe this will be my last !!

Purchased in May 2019 for A$195.00.

roxy

roxy

The more I wear it the more I like it.

My OH brought me this for mothers day. It very strong but a very small amont lasts all day. Never had a perfume last as long. The longer I wore it the more I enjoyed the scent. At first it was very old lady smelling but I usually wear sweet perfumes. This is more spicy, bit strong when first applied but smells better and better as the day goes on and nice to actually be able to smell it all day unlike alot of purfumes.

pookyBrisbane

BEST PERFUME

Ihave been wearing Opium since Iwas 18 ,Iam now 45.My husband loves this fragrance because it smells heady and sexy.I have tried other scents but they never seem right/comfortable to my skin.The body lotion is stunning as is the soap.The packaging is elegant,and classic.Yes it is pricey but worth every cent
    Everything

christie07

christie07Hunter Valley, NSW

Unpleasant smell

I was given a bottle of this perfume by a friend and had high hopes for it because it is made by such a prestigious perfumier. However, I ended up throwing it out while it was still almost full because I almost instantly really disliked the fragrance, and it seemed to get worse the longer I wore it. To me it smelled unpleasantly musty, and it was strongly reminiscent of the cheap, cloying, powdery scent I remember smelling on my two old great aunts when I was a child. I know that perfume is a very individual thing and can react very differently from one person to another, but for me this is just about the worst perfume ever.
    Bottle looked OK
    Unpleasant, fusty smell

Marita
    Marita

My husband gave me a bottle & I found the tiny straw that goes into the bottle is way too short & I cannot retrieve the perfume.For the cost ,this is very disappointing & I will not have it again .

opiumaddict

opiumaddictAU

I am addicted to Opium!

simm_mee

simm_meevic, 3020

older mature persons perfume

this perfume my mum adores as it has a subtle fragrnace that lasts the day long. its is more suitable for the older mature female as the scent isnt for the younger youth given the spicy fragrance. it has been around for many years and is a little costly to purchase,but you only require to use a small spray. it has been copied by cheaper brands so you have to be careful when purchasing as some of the packaging is similar to the orignial. doesnt leave a residue on clothing and is in an easy to use bottle.
    reliable fragrnace that is suitbale for older females. you dont need to apply much for the fragrance to be noted
    strong fragrance need to be careful with amount you use. is expensive

MotherMoon

MotherMoonWA, 6210

I have been wearing Opium Perfume for Women by Yves Saint Laurent for at least 10 years and I will wear it as long as it is here to wear. I am complimented quite often about smelling good even delicious. The only thing I am disappointed about is the discontinuance of the bath oil spray! So if there is any one out there that would like to get rid of any just let me know, other wise I am a happy camper die hard Opium user. Thank You YSL.
    A lot of women wear this during the day whilst that is their choice this perfume is really for evening wear, and that is why it is Sensual in many ways.
    This perfume is luxurious,sensual and bewitching.
    Nothing at all.

pooky

Try the Body Lotion its perfect.

sunny22

sunny22AU

The first perfume my now husband gave to me and I'm glad it was, because it's special enough to be.
    Light enough for day but special enough to wear at night too. It's not overpowering but it certainly is an amazing spicy scent. I always feel different when I'm wearing it and my husband loves it.
    Can't think of anything

Monstehr

MonstehrAU

Bad

Definately a scent that does not appeal to me - far too strong and overpowering. It never seems to settle into your own body's smell but sits on top overpowering all else. Can get quite nauseating and I can always smell when someone else is wearing it on public transport or in a lift. Has had the same packaging for as long as I can remember and really needs a facelift. My Nan would say "it smells like a brothel" every time I wore it! LOL!
    Reasonable price.
    Very overpowering and far too strong for me. Outdated scent and it needs new, modern packaging.

Tangy

TangyNSW, 2035

OK

This is a more mature scent that is best worn at night. A sweet, spicy, oriental scent, it has been copied by many other perfumes, so it is not an unusual scent anymore. Although it comes in a good sized bottle it is still quite pricey. I would only really recommended for older women. I think the younger noses of adolescents would find it a bit too strong.
    Very strong sensual scent which has been copied by many others since it was first launched. But this one is still the best. Spicy and "Eastern" and very suitable for evening wear. The latest version is lighter but still very strong.
    Too many other perfumes have copied this one so it is no longer interesting. Quite overpowering so far to strong for day wear. Quite pricy.

jaxdonn

jaxdonnNSW, 2040

I've had many compliments for my perfume. It is a sexy, inviting scent that does not overpower the room. It's that warm, close to the body spice a man breaths in as he caresses you.

I have allergies and am sensitive to some perfumes, but this one has never given me a problem. It's high quality and I happily pay the higher price for something that lasts long and wears well.
    Great for evenings. Deep, sexy, rich, warm, and spicy blend for the alluring woman. YSL is a quality designer label. Fragrance is long lasting and you only need to use a little.
    I wish it had a nicer name. Asking my husband to pass my Opium sounds silly. not ideal for daytime use.