• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo Date Purchased: Apr 2017

awesome bike in lams class

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

mine is 2009 model, with no abs. Bought it in 2017 with 35K ish kms on it. Use it mainly as a daily commuter.

Pro: smooth 4 cylinder engine, smooth gearbox, low seat height so it's friendly to smaller riders, comfortable seat and riding position, adjustable front forks(preload),good acceleration for a learner bike when vtec kicks in. Never had any mechanical issue.

Con:

Throttle has this on-off feeling from idle to actually moving on the road (1400-3000 rpm), nothing dramatic but still noticeable.

Front suspension a bit soft for aggressive riding style.

No much torque at lower rpms, you need to keep it in right gear and power band to get proper acceleration

Higher fuel consumption, roughly 6.5-7 litre per 100 kms, i have a screaming demon slip on exhaust and i ride in urban traffic with lots of aggressive 0 to speed limit acceleration so that may affect, but still it needs more fuel than other single/twin cylinder bikes in this class.

Expensive major service every 24,000kms

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo Date Purchased: Jan 2016

awesome bike, very reliable.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2017

I took the hyper VTEC Revo for a ride and it just took me to heaven. I felt like I was flying on wheels. I loved every moment of it and I would highly recommend getting one as it is one fantastic motor bike. live, love, laugh and enjoy the great out doors on the Hyper VTEC Revo.

Purchased at: Honda Dealers

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo Date Purchased: Mar 2016

Unbelievable bike!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

It has a speed of 150km in 9 secs , it is also very safe with an extended seat as well as a turbo 5 cylinder engine this baby made my life a lot easier. When compared to what is out there in the market this is by far the value purchase of the year

Model: Hyper VTEC Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Best Bike, You will never want another!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2017

Best bike ever, can't fault anything for a 400cc. I have had it since 2015, brings smile on my face each time i get on it. Fun for city trips and about, would do motorways/highways but would prefer biker bikes. Best all rounder, sad they have discontinued this model........i know people are dying to get their hands on these nifty ones. ☺

Melbourne

• 3 answers

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Realiable bike for beginners

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2017

I have been riding for many years and experienced quiet a few different bikes and recently I had a chance to ride a CB400 LAMs for half of the day.

The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was,
I was quiet surprised with the amount of grunt for a small 400cc bike.

I was expecting acceleration frustration but it seemed powerful enough to get you going fast enough for the roads.

Pros:
1. Enough power
2. easy to control
3. cheap
4. very good mileage

Cons:
1. too quiet
2. sounds like an electric bike
3. Good bike to start but doesn't have the cool factor

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo Date Purchased: Jan 2017

The Best Bike I Have Ever Owned!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

I can't find any fault whats so ever with my CB400. Best bike I have ever owned. Would recommend to anyone, lams rider or not and there are not many bikes that look better either. Mine is the 2012 white, red and blue model with gold wheels and its only got a cheep Delevic but sounds angry as hell when V-TEC kicks in!

Model: Hyper VTEC Date Purchased: Dec 2016

I'm In Love With My Bike

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2017

I've had the CB400 for nearly 6 months, put a good 4,000kms, went on a couple of nice road trips, commuted for a few weeks 60km a day, done some easy peasy maintenance and I find that this bike has everything I ever wanted. It's solid, it's well built, I love how chunky it is and the upright position, the seat height is perfect and that V-tech kick just adds lots of fun to the whole experience, it pulls nicely when it kicks and roars like a sporty bike, very much fun.

It's a very forgiving bike, the breaks are just great, I don't have ABS and have had to break hard quite a few times didn't have a problem.

The more I look at it, the more I add kms to it the more I'm in love with its performance, its looks and its sound.

I'm really happy with it.

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 27, 2017

I have owned my '08 cb400 revo for one year now since getting my learners and it has been nothing short of an absolute pleasure owning this bike. The bike is beautiful to look at with classic lines and a lovely sweeping tail, it sounds amazing especially after throwing on a Yoshimura r77 the VTEC note brings a grin every time (always accompanied by a few crackles & pops), and the bike rides really well feels planted & stable when cornering hard... having ridden a few other bigger lams bikes (650cc twins & fours) I always find myself aching to get back on the cb... it's just silky smooth & easy to ride fast. It is also incredibly comfy and can be ridden for hours on end without any aches or pains.

It's a bike that does everything REALLY well that looks & feels like a premium machine, reliability is as you'd expect from Honda - superb.. one of my best purchases ever & seriously considering keeping the cb beyond my lams period alongside a super sports.

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Excellent Bike

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2017

I just went from a 125cc Honda to a Yamaha R3 to the CB400. I've got to say, it just feels great to handle and yet has loads of power and roars like a lion, awesome great bike. I hope to have much fun with it! It's the second day I have it so I am not confident enough to treat it rough, yet I revved it like no other!! seriously great bike!

A great quality bike

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2016

I am on my 2nd CB400 and love them. I learnt on an older model and decided to upgrade a year later. I looked around and considered a CBR 500 as a contender also but went with the CB400. It is a well built bike, reliable, good quality and safe. I would recommend them to anyone. I enjoy riding it and it has enough power to be fun and nifty enough to throw it around a bit ..... yes its a bit windy at times but hey .. and yes the gears can be a bit notchy but you do get used to that over all its a smooth ride. Certainly a good learners bike.

Model: Hyper VTEC

Piece of Crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2016

Bike sucks man always stalls , clutch is crap just everything sucks sucks sucks , hate this bike , sold it for $5 , not really but that's how much it's worth , seat always gets hot as in the sun and burns my butt all the time worst ride ever

• 2 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

SO TRUE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THE ONLY BIKE YOU WILL EVER NEED IN YOUR WHOLE LIFE

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 24, 2016

I bought my 2011 CB400ABS in 2013 and i honestly cannot live without it. Shes a beauty to look at, and an absolute pleasure to ride. Almost no faults at all, these CBs are not a big "small bikes" or a small "big bikes" but are perfect in every scenario.

East to learn on. Easy to master. I also strongly suggest buying an ABS model CB400 as the nissin pistons and ABS work like a dream. Fuel tank is monstrous and will last you ages, and VTEC makes her sound like an formula one car.

Also if aftermarket modifications is your thing, than you can make this bike look like a streetfighter, speeder, workhorse or a cafe racer for chump change. They can keep up with litre bikes and are nimble enough to slide with ease through city traffic.

Thai Airways International should rename and rebrand their slogan "smooth as silk" because that slogan actually belongs to honda motorcycles XD all in all a timeless classic design with the unbeatable reliability that only honda will offer. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED 5 STARS

Purchased at: BMW Dealers

Brisbane

• 5 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Perfect first bike

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2015

My 2012 CB400A has been a great first bike, was comfortable and didnt miss a beat on a recent 850km round trip. It Kept up with larger bikes (1200's). The bike has been lowered to suit me at 5 feet 2inch tall. You won't regret the purchase, build quality is excellent.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sydney

• 3 answers

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo

I've never been so happy like this with a purchase, Japanese built, like a Samurai sword.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2015

This is my second bike, stepping up from a 125cc. Despite already having a full license, I bought this one, brand new. It was either this or a slightly used Ducati, I'm glad I went with the CB400. It just looks better and more masculine, especially the black color scheme with the new 10-spoke rims. The power delivery is linear and refined. The super bike-style construction, inline 4 VTEC engine is as smooth as silk. No vibrations! I love revving this machine. It feels as if it will never break. Absolutely solid! Zero to 60 in 5.8 seconds! That is Porsche Carrera territory.

After the break in period, I replaced the all-too-Japanese-polite stock exhaust with a screaming, Spanish-made IXIL exhaust (street legal with baffle). Now the CB400's sounding roar has been unleashed.It's cornering characteristics are very inspiring. I could get the peg feelers scrape the pavement with confidence and sharpened like pencils. But it won't lean more than 45 degrees due to physical limitations (pegs, suspension sag and tyres). All in all, this bike is something I could pass on to my grandchildren.

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo

The only bike you will (realistically) ever need!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2015

I like many people that will review this bike recently got my motorcycle licence... 3 months into it however it was time to get my own bike and having spent 12 months drooling over the prospect of a new Triumph Street Triple 660 I put on my savvy pants and found (at 162km's on the odometer) a practically new 2010 CB400 at a brilliant price (around half that of a brand new one). The day I rode it out of the showroom was my first time on a road bike since doing my course and I had an hours ride home... Needless to say despite having my heart set on the Trumper this bike did not and never will disappoint and I have fallen in love with it and riding in general... The power delivery is smooth even when the VTEC kicks in (yo) at around 6300rpm depending on the throttle position, the suspension is firmish but responsive which for me is what i'm used to in a vehicle and it makes me feel a little more secure, the brakes even without the ABS like modern examples have, work effectively... After riding that trip home which was both my longest trip at the time and also the first time out of my local area I jumped off without any sort of pain or cramping... It is fantastically comfortable and the seating position is relatively upright which is good for learners like myself... Of course it was a while before the engine was properly worn in and just before I had I purchased an IXIL slip on muffler which is and essential for anyone looking to further tidy up the look of an already tidy looking bike... With this you finally get the full sound of that angry 4 cylinder at max revs which is utterly glorious... With no baffles it's like riding a flame spitting box of rice bubbles with all snap, crackles and pops you could ever want.... I have had my CB400 for 3 months now and already i'm deliberating wether this is going to be a lifer for me because although I have every intention of buying an R1 in the future, the Honda CB400 is really the only motorbike you could ever need, learner or not... :)

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Model: Hyper VTEC Revo

The mighty CB400 - Looks amazing, sounds even better, and will treat a new rider very well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2015

I bought a new 2014 plated CB400 around a month ago. I was hesitant at biting the bullet with this bike due to the price tag. After going back and forth between the CB500 and Yamaha’s MT-07 I took the plunge and laid out (the rather large) investment for my first bike. The CB400 had won.

The thing that really strikes you with this bike is the build quality; it’s easily the best built bike in the LAMS class, with arguably the MT-07 a close second. It is clear Honda built the bike without reservation of the end cost; as opposed to the CB500 which I feel they had a dollar amount in mind before production.

The CB400’s performance is adequate and lends itself perfectly to a new rider or even a commuter. VTEC is satisfying and offers thrills and exhilaration when in this area of the rev range. The bike corners well, it feels very well balanced which inspires confidence when turning in.

As far as negatives there are few, one being the inherent design of a naked bike and freeway riding. It is pretty windy and lighter riders may find themselves getting blown around their lane from passing trucks and some cars. Nothing unmanageable though. The other issue is the gearing; 110km/h in 6th gear puts you at the cusp of VTEC, 7000rpm. Now this doesn't sound like an issue but it does get somewhat tiring on longer trips. Otherwise the bike is geared well.

Now for the sound, wow! I’ve heard the CB400 being referred to as the “screaming banshee” and with an aftermarket exhaust on I now know why. This thing sounds amazing! Sure the idle is still pretty quiet and you may find yourself longing for the lumpy grumble of a V-twin or L-Twin, but once you hit VTEC all those feelings will melt away (depending what your into of course). Proper super bike sound..yum!

So what do you need to know?...Is the CB400 the fastest LAMS bike? Probably not, I think the MT-07 takes this title. Does it corner well? yes, it loves the twisties and it’ll out-corner many LAMS bikes depending on your skill level. Will it beat my mates R1? Only if your mate can’t ride or is a fish. Why is it so expensive? Build quality and Honda, enough said.

At the end of the day this bike does exactly what is was designed to do, it looks amazing, sounds even better, and will treat a new rider very well. I highly recommend the CB400, but don’t take my word for it, ride a few different bikes and see where you end up.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

So over 12 months on I just wanted to do a 'long term' review. I have had zero issues with the bike, the things I mentioned above are still applicable. The bike sounds amazing, handles beautifully,... read more »

mrelhourne

• 7 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Model: Hyper VTEC Spec III

Best all rounder!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2014

Bought 2006 model, which is Carb VTEC spec3, but it doesn't bother me at all. bike handles very lightly, easy to manouver. I rode most types of road with my CB400. including city, suburban street, speed humps, freeway. Bike is fast enough for suburban street, always fastest on take off from traffic light even though I'm not trying to be. Bike is just light and fast, but big enough/ sturdy. Really feel the tyre size of 120/60 front and160/60 rear. When VTEC kick in which is about 6500rpm it get really loud and I can feel that bike is pulling rider! Braking is very good and strong enough. Even though its cost extra $$ than other similar capacity bike its worth it. A lot of after market parts are available on cheaper price than other bike such as Ducati, or Trumph. Also CB400 is made in Japan. CB400 is best selling naked bike in Japan, so they must be doing something right!! If you dont believe me, go test ride one, you will NOT waste your time.

Brisbane

• 7 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Best Lams Bike without Question

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2014

I bought my 2011 CB400 in August 2013 with 400km on the clock, and have done over 6000km in the 4 months since then.

I absolutely love the bike and am happy that I went for it, despite the extra price tag.

It comes much better equipped than its 250 and 300cc competition (e.g. 250CBR or 300Ninja) and is faster than both.

Other bikes I have ridden include the 500CBR and 659 Ducati Monster, and not even the much more expensive Monster was a match for the CB400. Like someone else has noted already, they have a bit of torque but no drama about them at all. What I mean is that on the CB400 you feel like you're on a race bike that just wants you to go hard. The Ducati on the other hand is docile throughout the rev-range, and the CBR500 is downright boring.

While the Monster is somewhat heavier, I think the CB400 still feels very planted through corners and isn't easily upset but passing trucks or unexpected gusts of wind. The 250CBR on the other hand gets thrown around like a bicycle and the 500CBR isnt really much better in that regard.

The CB400 is definitely the best performing LAMS bike available and I can totally see how some people would be happy to keep this bike permanently, although I will admit that personally I’m beginning to feel the need for more speed.

The only real negative I can think of for the CB400 is that ABS is not only NOT standard, but is not available on all colour schemes, which kind of sucks, because I knew instantly which bike I wanted, and it was not available with ABS.

And for all those that have listed excessive wind as a negative for the bike, honestly guys, don’t buy a naked bike and then complain that it doesn’t have wind protection. If you want fairings then buy a bike that has them. Simple stuff.

+ Quick, Reliable, Beautiful

- ABS only available with particular colours.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 answers

An amazing motorcycle - worth the extra $

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2013

This is a fun, good looking and serious machine that is worth paying a few extra thousand for. I tried several bikes in the LAMS category and they all came up short - the 250-300 range of sports bikes are too light and under-powered, while the 500 and 700 twins are torque but don't howl. Most of the learner bikes have no-frills brakes and suspension but the gear on the CB400 is top of the range. After I rode one I could see why they charge a bit more. Given they are such a reliable bike you could happily take one second-hand, as I did, and save a few thousand dollars. Great around the city and on the road. Mine is fitted with a Blue Flame carbon fibre exhaust. When the hyper vtec kicks in at 6500 RPM it really screams.

+ Reliable, fast, great handling, a real motorcycle

• 1 question
  • 1 answer

One of the best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2013

I bought this bike last year after careful research and I'm glad that the hype lived up to and has exceeded my expectations. Main factors for me were the fuel injected engine, power, safety from the combined ABS and the handling. I was very impressed - especially since I'd just come from riding a V-twin carburetor fed cruiser!

In standard form, it's quiet, refined and very smooth, even at cold idle. I wanted a louder exhaust and I put on a Yoshimura R77 and now it sounds awesome. When the VTEC comes on, the bike gets about 3 times louder and screams it out. Very sweet :) I found I ride it constantly on the VTEC border now so that any flick of my wrist and I'm into VTEC.

Most of my riding is city, and I normally average about 220km, and 13L, giving me 16.9km/L. From day rides out I've done, I'm pretty confident I can get close to Canberra from Sydney on a single tank but I won't be able to test that out until maybe January.

About the only thing really I'd say that prospective buyers should be aware about is the VTEC inspection service which is a major service. I have heard that it runs into the four figure range but that's a problem for future me.

- Pricey; clunky gears

Comments

where did you buy your yoshimura r77 for the cb400 from? Also I agree the gears are a little bit clunky but you get used to them after a while.

1 of 2 pages