Generations:
Filter By:

Hillside

Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Blackhawk Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Blackhawk!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

We use our Jeep most days to commute to and from work. the car gets serviced every 6 months and we haven't had any major issues - a few recalls but they have been really great about these. Would love the fuel economy to be better. Love the space and the ability to literally transport anything.

Newcastle, NSW

Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Laredo Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2017 Drive: 4WD

2017 Laredo 4x4 & 4x2

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2018

We have two Jeep Grand Cherokees, one 4WD and one 2WD, both excellent cars and amazing value for what you get. Lots of goodies, both with sat nav & leather due to offers at the time. Paid $51k for the 4x4 and $34k for the 4x2 (ex demo with a few thousand km on the clock).
We are part of a group online and it’s clear that Jeep sell the occasional lemon (which happens with all manufacturers) and has a bad history. But I feel that they’ve got it right with the Jeep GC now and it’s one of the best value SUVs in Australia. I suspect there are some trade agreements in place because in the UK the same models are much more expensive.

So in 12 months and a combined 35,000km on the clock with some long interstate drives and everyday use they have been running perfectly. The 5 year warranty they now offer probably reflects the improved reliability.

The only comment is the paintwork doesn’t seem amazing, it easily chips and you can see overspray when you look for it. Perhaps the ceramic coating would have been a good option for us.

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Trailhawk Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2013

Trail Hawk

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2018

Sales folks were good (Canberra) and Jeep assist very good following breakdown due to a sensor failure. Was very happy with vehicle until year 4 when alternator failed, master cylinder leak, new glow plugs, electrical loom for fuel system failed. Repair costs were building. As far as services go early Jeep service rep was unpleasant and my wife refused to deal with them. A new crew has turned that around following work needed following a kangaroo strike.
All up, I really like the vehicle when it is working. The repair bills are mounting as more stuff breaks. Added to poor customer relations for a period, the Jeep experience is only okay. I am over stuff breaking, it is never cheap to fix.

Hemel Hempstead (UK)

• 1 answer
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Overland Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Reversing The Trailer

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2018

Hi, newbie pom from the UK, I've been a caravanner for many years, The Grand will be my third tow car, I had an ML270. and an 02 cherokee grand 2.7. All Diesel. Here's the thing. The NEW overland is an expensive SUV. I use it for my work and leisure, and tow a twin axle Superstorm Caravan. It was a REAL shock when for the first time having hitched up and arrived at the venue to discover that reversing this lady was not going to be simple. Its rare to get a drive in space, and so the majority of set downs happen after multipoint maneuvers into your parking bay. Normally I would achieve that selecting low range, and reverse on just about tickover or the gentlest of throttle.
This new Grand is a whole NEW ball game, it is completely different experience, and, in my opinion can be dangerous. The throttle is fly by wire, Im not sure is this is contributory, but the issue is that the power train take up to wheel movement requires continuous blipping of the throttle to get transition from reves to movement,but, the revs keep climbing and so it off throttle and brake to prevent te take up too quick. It's not that clever reversing the car into a tight spot either, even worse if you have a gradianet or up kerb.
Dealers have looked, and agree but FCA state its characteristic. Trouble is, this is a car competing with BMW, Audi and Range Rover. Its certainly got a terrific launch from the lights, but you don't drive backwards in quite the same way it drives forwards. The transition from revs to torque is somehow wrong. What Else, if that's not enough, some joker has sealed up the rear window. It used to open, what a bonus that was, now the electric boot wants either to be open or shut. Roof rails, my roof ger no long fits and there are no rail slots for ties. Running lights, how come there is no option for running lights of along with tail lights on?. Puddle lights , great idea but, unless they are on the underside of the door, when you open the door the mirror mounted light suddenly vanishes out 90 degrees away from the puddle area. LAST road tax, when purchase the tax was £280, now its £500 due to the emissions reveal. This is not progress peeps, its lost a portion of its utilitarian use. and now due to the FCA finance pack I'm stuck with it for another 3 years. If Id wanted a car that just went well and did no utility stuff I would have opted for the BMW X. Jimbo

Gold Coast

• 2 answers
Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Overland Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Loved it

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2018

Great car. Beautiful to drive and gorgeous to look at. Plenty of space and power. Fuel consumption of my 5.7L V8 was as expected ( it's thirsty- no two ways about it - average of 11L/100km on the highway at 110km/h. Around town expect closer to 20l/100km ). ECO mode is useless. The stereo system is awesome.
Had no issues with it other than parts being ridiculously expensive. For major service items like the transmission service, buy local aftermarket parts or from the USA - Jeep genuine parts prices are nuts.

Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Blackhawk Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2014

Blackhawk

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2018

Bought the grand charakee Blackhawk in July 2014 and haven’t looked back since bought it from jeep Mentone. For 53,000 new it’s done 78,000 to date 23/9/18 had no issue with servicing no dramas with the engine. Only thing was the sensor that was put in by a aftermarket company in Oakleigh were it’s a little too sensitive. Took it back. Still a little sensitive but better more then less I guess. Sports mode is VERRRY NNIICCCCEEEE. Good way to feel like you bought a SRT wile keeping your licence for those family day cruzes. Happy customer

Lavington

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Blackhawk Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Cannot live without!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

This is my business vehicle.
It's used everyday to tow a single axel trailer FILLED with appliances! (Coffee machine, generator, 3x fridges and an oven)
Recently needed a factory recall but didn't pay a cent, and I've only ever had it in the shop to get services!
My Jeep is my love. (Blackhawk - 2015)

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: ZJ (1993-1998) Badge: Limited Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2010

Reliable, capable, comfortable.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

Bulletproof engine, very capable 4x4 system, seats with epic comfort, and as many gadgets as you'd find in a 90s Bentley if you have a limited model. 7 years of ownership and my biggest regret is selling it.

Far from being fast or economical, it came into its element off road where low-mid range torque of a 4.0 engine propelled the comparatively light body through just about anything the chassis would clear. On that note, there is no chassis, rather a unibody design. This allowed a lighter design, but was actually stronger than most body on frame trucks at the time.

Compared to the more popular XJ Cherokee brother, this one has more interior room and a better ride, along with a technical advantage in coil suspension all-round. However, it was heavier and slower than the XJ, and had a transmission that generally did not last as long as the unit in the Cherokee.

At this age the orginal Grand Cherokee is still going strong. One can expect a number of minor electrical fixes as there is a lot wiring going to all the features and warning systems etc. But certainly no more than later models, and after replacing a $20 part that is the crank position sensor, this 4.0 will be very reliable and capable transport indeed.

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Limited Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2014

Amazing Bit Of Kit!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

I started with a compass a few years back and then moved into a Grand Cherokee Limited as the Compass didn’t have the grunt I was looking for.
I have had zero issues with both vehicles and just about to buy my 3rd Jeep Grand Cherokee:
It’s so smooth on road but handles off road without any hassles at all!
Bang for buck, this is hands down the best option going around!
I’m sure I don’t need to go into what you get, just do yourself a favor and take one for a test drive and I’m sure it won’t disappoint!

Wesburn

Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Trailhawk Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Trailhawk love this car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2018

We have now traveled 3000 km in new Jeep, towed out 2.6 ton caravan with ease, has 3.0 lt Diesel engine heaps of power, using about 16 L/ per 100 and about 7.5 when not towing. Information system is awesome can display so much, heated and cooled seats are great. Love adaptive cruise control slows and breaks down hills and follows speed of car in front. Seats are best I have ever had very comfortable and electric lumbar with up and down as well. Auto wipers and dimming headlights work very well.
Sound system is really good, phone calls are very clear as well. Select 4wd setting are great, have had a beach drive and off road track, you have 3 different ride hights for air suspension as well as low entry exit settings. Car will brake if an accident is imminent, warns you if car is approaching as you reverse out of parking spot. Keyless start and entry is very handy and electric tailgate as well.

sydney

Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Limited Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Seized engine

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

I have a MY 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel and the engine has seized up. I have enjoyed the car but this has been a pain. It has been frustrating getting action on this one from customer service. However, after months we have resolution and the engine will be replaced. . .

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Laredo Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2012

Best can I have driven and I had over 30

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2018

Had GC Laredo 3.0 diesel for 6 years it has done 215 000km not missing a beat. Has replaced the waterpump recently but maybe because I pushed it too hard after 6 years. Test drive the Prado yesterday what a donkey!! You just can't compare the power the comfort and the styling.

Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Overland Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Overland 2015 DIesel

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2018

Had this car since new and with no problems at all. Love the way it handles and tows my caravan. Plenty of power to overtake and do the day to day groceries. Great fuel economy as well for a heavy car and defiantly would recommend this car for someone that is after a 6 cylinder diesel.

• 2 answers
Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Limited Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2018

I got a Jeep!!!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2018

Oh my gosh, this grand Jeep Cherokee is so so so AMAZING. Front Seat warmers, steering wheel warmer, back seat warmers, can it get any better. Oh yes it can ! ! ! !
The music surround sound, AMAZING ! Best feeling hopping into a heated seat car in the winter.

Purchased at: Jeep Dealers

Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Laredo Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2013

Jeep grand cherokee blown Auto transmission

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

I have a 2013 jeep grand with 90ks had the auto serviced at 80k and blew the Auto. We're an elderly couple and cant believe what has happened. We spoke to jeep (FCA) regarding the auto transmission has blown up but they wont help with the problem... I cant believe that a vehicle that has 90ks has blown the auto.. I'll never buy or recommend jeep to anyone... absolutely rubbish for the price you pay!!!

• 1 comment
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: SRT Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Excellent can’t fault it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 09, 2018

We upgraded from the 2015 SRT to the Trackhawk and haven’t regretted one minute, totally enjoying this car. If you love V8 power and we have had many performance cars in the past, this beast won’t disappoint. If I was picking on anything the only minor thing was a stain on the front Calipers, ( Jeep are replacing under warranty) We purchased this TH thru City Jeep Melbourne and have had good service from day one. We are daily drivers and averaging around 17litres per hundred put your foot down and forget this figure ( don’t look at the gauge) I had HSV’s which had worse mileage. This car rides better than the 2015 SRT and the interior is well appointed, the full leather option is worth getting.

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Trailhawk Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Great car with some minor issues

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2018

This is my first Jeep, after a long line of 4wds including Land Rover (Disco 3 and Defender), and Toyota. The Trailhawk has the best on road feel of any of them, with great power and feel. Feels more car like than the others, but still very capable off road. Off road it lifts a wheel easily, but that doesn't stop it, and it goes every place I expected any of the others to go, and just as well. I have done over 2,000 kms off road in the north of WA without any significant problem.
My quibbles are that the voice management on the Sat Nav won't work, it gets into a spin and refuses to select a destination, and the dealership can't (or won't) sort it out. Standard response is the feature is not available in Australia; well it was on the demo car and the loan car I had, and the owners manual says it should work, so I don't accept that answer. My best guess is that the software is not compatible with Android Auto and Apple Car play which was included for the first time on this version of Uconnect.
Like others I had the recall of the genuine Jeep towbar, however both FCA and the dealership were good at sorting it out, and it was removed by the dealership and the cost refunded to me so that I could fit an aftermarket one. Not ideal, but not the worst result either.
Would I buy another one? At this stage, absolutely, but ask me again in a few years!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Limited Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Pig of a car

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

Same as others constant faults with media electronics. Response from Jeep Australia also very similar to other complaints made here. Car less than 2 years old when fault in rear passenger window developed. And that took several interactions with Jeep Australia to get finally resolved. The american just do not have the same level of quality control on their electronics. I was told this by a friend who use to work for the company in the US. Sold this lemon and will only look at value for money and reliable Japanese.

• 3 answers
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Overland Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2018

Impressed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

What a SUV, purchased 2nd hand, at first I was a bit cautious as everyone says not a Jeep they have problems but it’s not 1990’s anymore ha, well I have had the car for 2 months and the comfort, features, technology and fuel mileage is awesome, very spacious as well, handling is great and very smooth on the open road with minimal road noise, Jeep have been great to communicate with when I have asked about recalls that I have heard about they said if there is any for the car they will call me and book it in to get rectified if any come up which none has, I like the SUV and now a proud Jeep owner :)

Purchased at: Jeep Dealers

Queensland

• 4 comments
  • 15 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: WK2 (2011-2018) Badge: Limited Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Dec 2014

Happy with WK2 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel Ltd

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2018

I am happy with my 2014 Limited Diesel. I looked at a Prado and JGC the Jeep drove so much better and had so many features compared to the Toyota's very basic. I don't mind Toyota but i think there is just too much hype about them and have their problems like all brands and also are too pricey for what you get.
The interior is well finished and all the extras, heated front and back seats, steering wheel. It even can be set to come on automatically when cold. Voice commands USB front and back etc etc. For comparison the Prado still had a LCD one line radio display to the Jeeps 8" multifunction touch screen or voice activation.
I plan to tow a van also so the Prado dipped out there having under 3 tonne and the Jeep 3.5 tonne tow rating. I have had the few recalls, but no real issues all done when serviced except the shift S-49 i took in for recall as i do all my own servicing once the warranty expired, I have 167,000K's up now. Like most people i was not happy with Jeep dealers and servicing costs. Robbery prices for filters and oil. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ryco or Wesfil filters and buying your own oil on special from Supercheap or Repco. The Dealer i bought the car from fried the computer when doing an update and had to give me a loaner to get home. They had the car for six days waiting for the replacement computer and did not change the Diff oils they were supposed to but didn't forget to charge me though. They paid for a local mechanic to change diff oil as i live a long way from dealer. I have changed my diff and transfer case oils since then for a fraction of the price.
The only thing that is annoying is the foot hand brake, but you get used to that over time and in the big picture is nothing.
The Diesel is very economical with heaps of Torque getting low 7.5 country to 8.2 around town. To sum up i deducted a star for poor Dealers and servicing but I really enjoy driving the Jeep.

1 of 14 pages

WG/WJ (1999-2004)

l have a grand Cherokee 2001 4 litre loredo the problem im having is when accelerating it will miss fire randomly could someone please give me an idea?

josh asked on Nov 18, 2018

Answer this

I have only had diesel models, but, a friend of mine has the 4 litre and tells me that having spent nearly all his wifes fortune in garage bills, he finally replaced the coil pack as there was nothing left to replace and that fixed the persistent miss fire

WK2 (2011-Present)

I'm looking to buy a grand Cherokee 2013 diesel upwards because of 8 speed automatic which it looks like better fuel economy. Are they reliable and good for towing I have a 2.5 tonne caravan?

Macca asked on Nov 03, 2018

Answer this

I was very happy with mine. It didn’t give me any trouble. Just regular maintenance and that’s it. Just be careful if you’re buying one nearing 100k on the clock as the transmission needs a major service then. It’s not so big a job, but the parts are woefully expensive. The oil is about $50 a litre and you’ll need around 5-8 litres. But the oil pan ( which houses the filter ) is about $800 at Jeep. I paid about $180 for an aftermarket one at the local parts store.
If the service has not been done, the dealer will want over $2000 to do it. My tip, buy the aftermarket oil pan and get the oil in from the USA via eBay and go to your local auto transmission place and see if they’ll do justvthe labour. Dont skimp on the transmission fluid - it’s the ZF LIFEGUARD 8 - don’t use anything else.
Better still, make sure that the 96km major service has been completed at the dealer - saves the hassle. Otherwise, knock the price down.
Oh, and the transmission should shift as smooth as silk. Any clunkiness is a red flag.

WK2 (2011-Present)

I'm looking to buy Jeep Grand Cherokee 3lt diesel 2012. I asked a seller on carsales how much fuel do they use she said 600 KMs to a 90 Lt tank and that's city driving. Is that right?

Macca asked on Oct 31, 2018

Answer this

I’m not sure about the diesel because I had a V8 petrol and it was pretty thirsty around town. I averaged close to 20L/100km around town and about 10l/100km on the highway. I got a maximum of about 750km on the highway cycle. Also, 2012 model will have the 5 speed auto. Mine had the 8 speed - which may also make a difference.

See all 101 questions about Jeep Grand Cherokee

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details