Wollongong

• 2 comments
  • 9 answers
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

Car: Audi A4 Turbo quattro.

The ultimate tyre for a mid range sports/touring car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

Michelin Pilot Sport tyres have been the coach for touring motorcycles and cars for several years. They have, probably, the best wet weather performance of any tyre on the market. What that means is that braking and cornering can be safely managed whether it is wet or dry. The Continental tyres are also good but these are a step above. If you value passenger safety and car performance above price and distance then these are the only option.
They are quiet riding in my Audi so no downside there. The grip is prodigious!
The downside is that they wear quicker than most tyres.

Purchased at: Tyrepower

Sydney

Car: 2001 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S

Excellent, Quiet, Very Capable Tyre in the dry and wet

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2018

For those that care.... I apologize for the long winded review..I love driving, and Tyres are extremely important... As a former CAMS licence holder and a veteran of many a track day, I'd hope that's made me a better driver and someone that's fit to give an honest opinion instead of some dead-crap Camry driver that sits in traffic all day and tells people some cheap butt Chinese crap tyres are awesome ..... sigh.....

Fitted these to my 2001 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 (JDM Galant Wagon AWD 300 BHP) Private Japanese Import. Similar Drive-line to the Lancer Evolution 6 Lancer (which I'm a long term owner of as well.. (17+ years)) 'cept... 2.5lt twin turbo V6.. same AWD system. Though more of a sport luxury car with approx 400kg extra weight. Luuurrrvely car to drive...Love these cars... a lot.... aaaannnnyhhooooo...

After Fitting these... After much debating of either these of the Bridgestone RE-003's I decided on these ones. Don't regret the decision... not even one bit!
Being a very(!!!) long term Bridgestone fan...(the S-01's and S-001's were the absolute best as far as a street tyre goes AFAIC.We're talking the upper part of the range... lower level ...mnnnnaahhhh! no thanks... I don't do cheap crappy tyres.... ever...(Mazda 121 bubble car with Potenza S-001's!!! )..
I went another direction after a friend told me about these.

As a daily "performance" tyre I'm very well impressed.. Very much so in fact...I'll try to explain...I'm here right...

Very Responsive.. without being "stupid".. meaning... sneezing at the wheel doesn't equate to changing lanes...Yeah.. car's dynamics are a big factor... but,....After fitting these... there is nearly zero tram-lining... For real!!!
Before... you'd wrestle quite a bit slowing down at the lights.. but seriously these tyres alone (!!!!!!!!!!) have taken all that crap away... (seriously ... how!!!!!???!!!!) Witchcraft??

"Very" ** quiet... much more than the equivalent bridges...For a luxury sports car... they're perfect... for me anyway...
Grip both in the wet or dry is very impressive...being a Sydney Sider, the recent and at times, heavy rain at have allowed me to give these PS4's a bit of "where are their limits" kinda driving... being safe of course... durrrrr!
I'll say this... they are a much lighter (physically) tyre than the bridgestone RE-003's

They are Quieter... much more so...The S-001's are deafening in comparison, like chalk and cheese difference...
The sidewalls on the PS-4's are softer equating to a much more comfortable, compliant drive... like out of 10... Re-003's being say a 5 for comfort... the PS-4's... easy 8.5 to 9... (as a performance tyre people......!!!)
Wet performance: Epic! Absolutely sure footed.. Don't be stupid though.. drive to the conditions.!!.. As far as aquaplaning, and resistance to slide during inclement weather... these PS4's are on par with the most expensive and prestigious tyres I've ever driven on...Truly..and no crap... !
For a 300+BHP 1500kg AWD Japanese Wagon... these are are a very good fit! I love them!!
Please take note: If you value tyres giving you feedback. (*Different cars give different feedback through the steering wheel.) These aren't as dialed as the Bridgies or other tyres like Semi's from other manufacturers... . but they don't need to be.. Info overload is a real thing, They do tell you a lot, but not at track tyre level... (depends on the car too... ain't gonna get heaps of feeling out of a 2001 Camry hey...!?!!)

I'm doing this review as an "All round every day tyre"... that is very capable of being spiritedly driven
If you want a tyre that is grippy in the wet or dry, Gives decent feedback (in the right car that is) is well wearing...
And I'll mention... when tyre shined with Amour-all tyre foam looks good...this is the tyre for you!
it's not an all out performance tyre, ..but as a safe, predictable, comfortable and reputable brand that people know... you'd be hard pressed finding a tyre that is cost effective with this level of safety and predictability...
I'm sold..completely.... no surprises, Solid, Grippy ...when you thought they'd let go they won't...!!, quieter than most,
Seriously... just do it... if you do heaps of track days (which seriously can't hurt) let everyone know...I've become quite a fan of these tyres (hating the French whenever I can.. lol) but damn.. a good performance street tyre... awesome...
Apologise as I'm OCD.. I give as much info as I can to help my fellow humans.. :)
Please understand these PS-4's are reviewed as a performance tyre... as such I'm not going to compare these to common garden variety Camry spec rubber... Got any q's shoot me a message.

** when I say "Very Quiet" I'm talking as far as a Performance tyre goes.. very sure there are tyres, for luxury cars that are much quieter... (and there are by the truckload... but this review is about the PS4's)

MAITLAND

• 6 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 16 helpful votes

Car: 2009 Accord Euro

Quality Control Issues and Terrible Customer Service.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2018

These 235/45R18 Pilot Sport 4 tyres are the fourth set of Michelin tyres I have had on my 2009 Accord Euro. In the past I got between 60,000 and 70,000 km from each of three sets of the Michelin Primacy tyres I used.
But with the Pilot Sport 4 there were alarming wear issues on the rear left tyre at the 15,000km mark.
Approached tyre dealer [Valley Tyres Maitland] and Michelin rep said the issue was probably incorrect inflation or driving conditions.
Facts are.
Last three sets all lasted over 60,000km
Driving conditions have not changed.
Tyre pressures have been checked and maintained between 33psi to 35psi on all four sets of tyres this car has had since new.

The wear is totally unacceptable as is the misogynistic treatment of my partner by Michelin and Valley Tyres Maitland.

The only positives are the tyres have good grip in wet and dry conditions as well as being very quiet.
But given they will be lucky to last a third as long as the tyres they replaced I would not recommend them.

Car: Bmw

Michelin tyres

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

They don’t feel any different in weather or road surfaces they are very quiet on all surfaces and especially on wet roads the performance on my bmw convertible is great I tried another tyre before purchasing the sport tyres they were terrible on same road. I wish to thank Michelin for making such a great tyre sourced from bob Jane tyres. Gordon

Car: 2007 Ford Mondeo Tdci

Premium Tyres

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

Bought these as the shop didn't have the ones I wanted available and they gave me a good discount, still cost me $680 for 4 tyres mind you!! Excellent performance in both dry and wet, they're one step down from proper racing tyres. They're very highly rated, but as for durability I'll have to get back to you on this as I've only done about 5k kms on them.

Car: Mercedes C250 and Renault RS265

Amazing

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2018

Amazing, best tyre for the best price. The feedback off the road is amazing. The grip in all conditions is amazing. The road noise is minimal. The price is not exuberant for what you are getting. It really is quality at a cost that isnt going to break the bank. I have had conti's and they wore down after 25,000km. These are still strong at 40,000km.

Sydney

• 1 question
  • 7 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Car: Mazda 3 MPS 2008

Amazing acceleration and braking-but lost roadfeedback compared to the Super Sport

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 19, 2018

I had 3 pairs of Michelin Pilot Super sports which were amazing, road feedback and steering is so precise you feel in control 100% of the time.

Switch to the Pilot Sport 4's and instantly felt the difference, but the tyres have worn in nicely over the first week and now provide a zippy, quiet and comfortable driving experience.

The acceleration has improved and braking too, the front wheels now feel super lighy compared to before. They're the fastest tyres I've ever had, your car will feel like a rocket.

I originally wrote a bad review, but after having the tyres for a week, and going on a long 3 hour drive with winding roads I am giving the tyres 5 stars.

They wear in nicely and give a very comfortable drive, handling in wet and dry is great, and the car feels very light and zippy.

Some feedback has been lost compared to the Pilot Super Sports, but it makes up for it in other areas such as noise, comfort and acceleration and braking.

Final Verdict: 5/5

Great all round tyre, gives a wonderful ride with nice control, speed and braking are great and easy of steering is a breeze.

Tyres look and sound fantastic. Loss of roadfeedback compares to Super Sports is only drawback, but these tyres provide their own unique driving experience that can't be duplicated.

We will see how the wear goes, but so far so good.

Recommended.

Purchased at: Tempe Tyres

Edwards town

Car: BMW

Excellent tyre for bmw sports

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

I have a very expensive bmw sports i class and had to replace the wheels a few months back and went on this brand because they matched what I had on the car and have always loved this brand and make of tyre. They handle well on wet roads and look great which is what I was after

Purchased at: Bob Jane T-Marts

Verified Purchase Car: Mercedes Benz C180 Classic.

Amazing !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2018

I’ve had these tyres for three months.
The first thing I noticed was a big reduction in road noise once they were fitted.
The most significant thing is the grip in wet weather. It’s amazing and better than any tyre I’ve ever owned.
I can’t comment re how long they'll last as it’s still early days, but even they don’t last quite as long as other tyres, the wet weather grip and improvement in safety would make them worthwhile.

Perth

• 1 answer

Car: 1998 Nissan Skyline

Amazing performance for a reasonable price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2018

The first thing I noticed with these tyres is how quiet they are- almost silent. More importantly, although they’re only a little bit better in every way compared to PS3s, those are such good tyres themselves that even small improvements are still appreciable.
Most impressive with the PS4 is wet weather grip- there have been a few times when I thought I’d braked a bit too late or was slightly too quick going into corners, yet these tyres simply held on with no dramas. Dry grip is very good as well. Highly recommend them!

Verified Purchase Car: 2009 Honda Civic Type R

Vague and floaty tyres that offer no confidence

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2018

I would say to not waste your money if you are after a performance tyre and care about handling and car dynamics -- the rival Bridgestone Re003 is a fantastic tyre that offers exceptional steering feedback and confidence-inspiring handling which is tight and buttoned down. However if you are after a touring tyre for highway cruising exclusively which happens to have good grip in case of emergency braking events, the Pilot Sport 4 fits the bill.

Despite having exceptional lateral grip and braking grip levels on standardised tests, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres feel incredibly vague and floaty (even though they were set to 38 PSI) and offer no confidence in cornering whatsoever. Even a mild curve in a country road becomes hugely disconcerting as these so-called "sport" tyres cause your vehicle to seemingly flop about all over the road. Converting to these tyres is like switching out the firm well-damped shock absorbers in your sporty car to worn out shocks! Converting to RE003, put the handling back to normal instantly. It seems pointless to have the grip afforded by the PS4, if the tyre's seemingly very, very soft sidewall construction means you have no confidence whatsoever to use said grip.

I don't know if this issue is specific to ST (South East Asia) market versions of the tyre, however many users in Europe have had similar complaints. The PS4 are a surefire way to spoil the handling of any kind of sporty car, and are particularly unmatched to lightweight sport compact cars. They seem to be a better match for heavier (1.6 tonne plus) luxury orientated cars (e.g., Mercedes C300).

These tyres would be a fantastic match to luxury type vehicles (e.g., Audi A4, Lexus) and offer a very smooth and comfortable ride. In all honestly, these *must* be a touring tyre as they are certainly not a sports tyre --- the sports version, must be the not-for-Australia Pilot Sport 4*S* with the S being crucial!

• 1 review
  • 1 question
  • 2 answers

Car: Mitsubishi Grandis

1st trial Michelin Ps 4 st..Value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

Awesome grip be it wet or dry...Grip well in cornering, braking and surprising very comfortable for performance tyre. Been using Michelin Primacy 3 St and 1 of my quietest tyre but you won"t go wrong with this Michelin Pilot Sport 4 St. Good Job Michelin ... People can say what they want but i made up my mind. This is my view but up to individual to decide.... Novice driver only maaa

Beaconsfield, QLD

• 1 comment
  • 3 answers

Car: 2012 VE Commodore Sedan

Very happy with my tyres.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

Purchased the Mitchelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres, 245/45 ZR 18, from Jax Tyres for my VE Commodore. They have great grip in both wet weather conditions and normal driving conditions. The tyres have low road noise; however, I think my old tyres were slightly quieter but ever so negliable. The ride they provide and driver comfort is excellent. Overall very happy with the tyres.

Lane cove

• 1 comment
  • 13 helpful votes

Car: 225/40/18 AUDI S3

The best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 16, 2018

Big Michelin fan and these have been superb so far on Audi S3, just a quick google search and you'll see the hype is justified, have tried many many brands over the years, sportmaxx RT2 were also very good and perhaps slightly quieter but these have sublime all-round grip and feel. Worth paying the extra $$$.

Car: Mazda ND MX5

Mazda ND MX5

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2018

Theses tyres haves been great. Once warmed up they are grippy , quite and improved handling. They are wearing well and have improved cornering and braking. Feel thevtyres are good in the dry and the wet. Fitted a 205 as I could not get a 195 for the car. No adverse effects.

• 3 comments
  • 9 answers
  • 40 helpful votes

Car: 2012 Mercedes-Benz B200 CDI

These tyres are the best you can buy as a replacement for runflats.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Having just replaced a set of Pilot Sport 3's on my Mercedes-Benz B200 with these new tyres I was anxious to see if they were as good. They are! I priced around and ended up getting them at Costco. They could not be beaten. Costco rotate the tyres for free every 10000klms for the life of the tyres
Pilot Sport 4 tyres are quiet, soft and smooth riding with great grip. They might cost a bit more but total satisfaction is assured.

Gladstone

• 3 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 13 helpful votes

Car: Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

Unbelievable in every way - so confidence inspiring

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 18, 2018

These tyres are so good in every way - acceleration, braking, cornering, wet weather, dry weather, road noise, durability. If I could give them 6 Stars, I would. Previous tyres were Goodyear Eagle F1 Aysemmetric 2.

I have a Ford XR6 Turbo which is quite a beast out of the box, then I started upgrading stuff.

- After upgrading the brakes, there was minimal improvement in braking - until I changed to these tyres.
- After stiffening the suspension and bushes, there was minimal improvement in handling - until I changed to these tyres
- After increasing power, there was minimal improvement in acceleration (at least, not off the line) - until I changed to these tyres.

The way the car changes direction in either wet or dry, hot or cold is so impressive and inspires so much confidence. Even in wet weather (while I wouldn't drive as hard as in the dry) I can be confident that the car will go where I point it every time, and I have never experienced aqua-planing with these tyres (but I have with my previous tyres).

If you need to do an emergency stop, you can just stand on the brake pedal and let the tyres stop you so hard you would not believe it. My car stops so fast now that the G-Sensor in my dash cam gets triggered thinking that I have been in an accident.

They are comfortable on rough roads, quiet on coarse chip bitumen, and these tyres have solved a problem with 'Tramlining' that I have seen with previous tyres, and so far they have lasted 12,000km without noticeable wear - time will tell on this front.

Even if you have basic / daily driver, you should buy these tyres for just one thing - Confidence. You can rely on them all day, every day, wet or dry, night or day to keep you and your passengers as safe as possible. Then, if you want to go fast, they will do that too.

I've read that these tyres are a bit expensive. To that I say - Your Get What You Pay For.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Update - I have now had the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for 14 months, with 17000 km traveled. The wear has been minimal - I wouldn't say they are still brand new, but certainly still better than 50% t... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Car: 2000 Holden Commodore Wagon

The best tyres I have put on My Wagon

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2018

After having horrible tyres on my wagon that would aqua plane with no input. Yes PS4s are pricey but you get what you pay for. I'm a spirited driver who demands a good tyre. They corner well at speed, they brake well for such heavy car, grip in wet is unbelievable. The rate of wear is good.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Car: 2012 Honda Accord Euro Luxury

Very grippy tyre

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2018

I replaced the worn out Michelin Primacy 3 Tyres on my 2012 Honda Accord Euro with a set of these Pilot Sport 4 tyres. I got 65,000 km from the Primacy 3's. The Pilot Sport 4's are quieter than the Primacy 3's, grip better and the cars steering is more precise. Fuel economy is also better. So far I have only driven 12,000 kms on them, so time will tell as to tyre life.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Car: Mondeo Xr5 Turbo

Michelin pilot sport

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2018

Value for money. Very grippy on Aussie windey roads. Excellent grip in the wet and dry. I used to have Yokohama tyres in uk. But after moving to Aus, these were special order only and very expensive. So I went for the Michelin. One set did over 60000klm. So very impressed.

Purchased at: Beaurepaires

1 of 3 pages

I"m currently on Michelin Primacy 3 size 215/55/17. I intend to get Michelin Ps 4 but with different sizing to 225/50/17... Should i just change the Ps 4 tyre with the same size or change a bit low profile 225/50/17 with Michelin Ps 4 tyre??? Any opinion and how much it will affect my FC????

Slammer asked on Jun 29, 2018

Answer this

Lower profile will give a firmer ride if that's what you want. My advice use same size.

Yeah, keep the same size. There would be no real performance or handling improvement by going lower.

There's more to consider than just this though, there are other implications -
-if you have an accident and the insurance company discovers that the tyres are not right, they can void your policy
- your speedo will be out
- the ride will be a bit harsher

Better to be safe than sorry

Sizes and pricing?

Michael M asked on Jun 14, 2018

Answer this

The size I purchased from Costco was 225 40 ZR18 and the price was $760 for 4 fitted, balanced and nitrogen filled with free rotation every 10k. They are Michelin stockists and prices are unbeatable.

I need to know these performance tyres or just the pilot sport 4 tyres as many try rip of customers thx some are 98y and 103y. Any ideas?

daz asked on Jun 07, 2018

Answer this

It depends on the size of tyre you are looking at. The Pilot Sport 4 range vary from 88W to 100Y, depending on size . Similarly, the Pilot Sport 4S range goes from 88Y to 106Y. Check the company's website and select the "Michelin Pilot Family of Tyres"page option for more information.

The numbers represent load and speed . The higher the load rating the stiffer the sidewall. Take the advice of your tyre retailer. He will ensure you are safely set up taking into consideration the type of vehicle, the loads you will be carrying and Max speed of the vehicle.

The Pilot Sport 4 are certainly performance orientated, however not as sporty as the Pilot Sport 4S (nor as expensive). I would have preferred the 4S, however my wheels are 245/40 18, and unfortunately, the 4S does not come in this size.

Using 'just' as an adverb for the Pilot Sport 4 is insulting to just how good they are (for the price). It's like saying that they are not as good as the Pirelli P Zero's, which is accurate, however when you take into account the difference in price, you would expect that to be the case.

If your wheels can fit the Pilot Sport 4S (and your budget will allow), go for them. If you can't fit or can't afford the 4S, then you might have to take a step back to the Pilot Sport 4. Even then, I doubt you would be disappointed with 'just' Pilot Sport 4.

See all 5 questions about Michelin Pilot Sport 4