Generations:

Melbourne

• 18 comments
  • 30 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Dec 2018

Sublime first drive experience - very happy with the July 2018 Manual GXL Prado

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

I had a Prado 150 in 2015 but as soon as I drove it from the showroom I knew it was a lemon...back and forth about 20 times and they diagnosed a drive train fault that they repaired by installing a dampening device to the chassis....it thankfully got rid of 80% of the vibration through the steering wheel...the other 20% when I changed tyres.

I was a little apprehensive picking this new 2018 July compliant car! The sales process was done by phone aside from the paperwork side of things, everything happened smoothly enough. The sales staff were helpful and went through everything. The revised model has some nice touches of silver plastic that seemed to freshen the dash up and gave it a lovely, solid feel. I broke up what was before quite a dark, cheap feel.

As I left the dealership today I drove along the 80km/h zone couldn't feel anything....no vibrations, no steering wheel shudder...nothing! I literally held my breath as I got to the freeway and approached 100km when in my old Prado the vibrations started. Thankfully, nothing close to a vibration and I can't tell you how happy I was to cruise along at a 110km and feel what my 2015 should of felt from day one. The standard tyres create some road noise so I'd recommend a test drive in a 110km stretch of road to see if you find it annoying. I was fine with it and where I felt it could be improved, I'll work on that in the future.

This upgraded model is wonderful and while I miss out on the techno pack of an auto, I read enough to feel put off an auto with all the overheating commentary.

I also noticed that the DPF had kicked in and I think its been altered now to burn more regularly, I clocked up 300km driving from the dealership and when I got near home I noticed the DPF doing a burn by the increased rpm (upto about 1100km). I could smell the burn off with my window down and stationary but it wasn't offensive or intruding into the cabin with the window shut.

The one thing I noticed that was different from my old Prado was that I felt a solid object at the top of the drivers seat that took some time to get used to. I'm a hulking great unit so I noticed almost immediately that it lacked padding or support at the top of the seat. However, as I drove along, I got used to the change in feel and the electric lumber support helped to adjust to a really nice driving position.

I sat comfortably in the cabin, instrument dials ahead of me, laid out well and subtle changes to make them look almost european in design. Subtle changes to instrumentation as well made the car overall look really refreshed and of good quality.

Overall, really impressed with the latest model and (touch wood) blissful, stress free driving (although I will have to cope with Sydney drivers LOL!)

Toowoomba

Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2018

2018 PRADO Very disappointing with my purchase

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

A BRAND NEW LANDCRUISER PRADO 2018 - paid almost 70k - not happy with the new Vehicle I purchased on September 2018.

Just done 2500 KM
Irregularities in gear shifting.
I was hearing unusual sound while starting the engine.
Took it to the dealer and they said the “ENGINE MOUNT” needs to be replaced (Unbelievable).
Very furious and disappointed with Toyota.
For the price and reputation I did not expect this from Toyota.

Purchased at: Toyota Dealers

Victoria

Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2018

2018 GXL Prado (Love this Car BUT!!)

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2018

I purchased this vehicle for daily commuting & as a tow vehicle. As a daily driver I love this car it's comfortable has all the options you need good fuel eco Great Car, BUT as tow vehicle i'm very disappointed!. I tow a Jayco Journey 19.5ft Caravan weight fully loaded 2.7t, when towing this van my Prado uses 22L to 26L per 100Ks traveling at 90khp on my last trip talking to landcruiser 200 owners towing bigger vans then mine, they were doing better at around 22L to 24L per 100Ks doing 110 to 125kph. The Prado tow Capacity is 3,000Kgs now but to to tow anything close to that the car 2.8L engine is working very very hard and sucks the fuel. it's a pity because I truly love this car, but I might have to look at maybe upgrading.

• 4 comments
  • 2 questions
  • 12 answers
  • 8 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2013

Great car for touring

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2018

We purchased the Prado new as a replacement for a LandRover Discovery3. We have now had the car almost 6 years and travelled 100,000kms. We have had it serviced by the Toyota dealer since new whilst the 6 yr warranty ran. There have been a couple of warranty claims...nothing major , just niggles. Now, post warranty we will get the car serviced by a more local specialist.
We have modified the car to make it better for touring /off-road (suspension, snorkel, under body armour, dual battery, ARB bull bar, secondary fuel filter, diff breathers, throttle adjuster, Cooper tyres etc).
Car performs well under load and around town. The handling much improved with the OME suspension.
I honestly can't see us needing to or wanting to replace the car anytime soon...

Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2017

This is I made a big mistake in my life

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

I am using daily to go to work. Mileage is very bad and after every 2 to 3 days the DPF starting to burn the chemicals during that time the mileage is very bad and the rpm going up to 900.Aand the engine sound and vibration also going up that time. It will going around 25minits. When its happening very uncomfortable to drive.

• 30 comments
  • 1 question
  • 46 answers
  • 22 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J90 (1996-2002) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2001

TOYOTA ARE No 1 FOR A GOOD REASON..........THEY BUILD QUALITY AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2018

We purchased a demo 2001 Toyota Prado VZJ95R V6 3.4L Auto when it was 3 months old.........in 17 years it hasn't so much as blown a fuse or had any other fault due to any stupid faults that are common in so many present day AWD. Yes it has 4 wheel Disc ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control, Air Bags, Side Impact protection, all the bells and whistles, and still drives like new. We expect 7 kms per litre for such a solid vehicle built with a CHASSIS. It sees and loves the snow at Hotham around 28 days per year and tows 3 tons of firewood effortlessly. I coulnt get over how it refused to lose control in the snow even when I forced the wheel sharply ! Amazing ! The engiine oil & filter is changed without fail every 7500kms, Transmission Oil every 60,000 kms, all 4 Filters exactly as per Severe Service Schedule, both diff oils every 60,000kms, Fuel Injector Cleaner added to both tanks every 10,000kms , Coolant change every 80,000kms. Paint still looks brand new ! ................... not a single minute of a "let down" or failure ........ so what are people thinking when they trade in a car like this ?????? ........... is it ego, or keeping up with the Jones's, too much money, or what ??????

Buninyong

• 2 answers
Private message

Generation: J120 (2002-2009) Badge: GX Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Best vehicle I've owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

After a string of Diesel Hilux's, Landrover Discoveries I bought my first Prado on a whim at auction-online, sight unseen. It had 300,000km on the clock so my expectations were realistic. To my surprise it looked immaculate and drove the same, full service history and one owner from new. A few sensible upgrades, suspension, tyres, bull bar later it is becoming a favorite for the fun we have in it and the reliability. Dual tanks standard, great air-cond, relatively good fuel economy, (1KZ pre-common rail diesel-manual). Very capable off road and comfortable, roomy for family trips. Only regret is we didn't buy one sooner.

Nsw

• 5 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

Not what I expected

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2018

Hi everyone , I’ve had 90 series prados, 120 series prados and now I have a new 150 series prado . The 90 & 120 series gave me faultless driving for many years and were very capable off road as well so it was a no brainer for me to carry on with the tradition . After putting 30,000km on it in 4 months Here’s my basic take on it . It’s a big comfortable wagon great for long distance driving and is extremely economical . I’m getting 1600km’s highway use constantly and around 1400km’s urban/ highway . Dash layout simple and easy to use with everything within easy reach . Headlights work a treat . The drive is very smooth as is the auto transmission and the cabin nice and quiet .The seat fabric is so soft that a box on the back seat wore holes and marks in the fabric after a 200km trip. Seat covers are a necessity. Off road was where it lets itself down . Compared to my previous 120 series I actually find this thing completely and utterly useless . I think the combination of a 2.8 litre engine and a whole heap of electronics thrown in has completely destroyed its off road ability . I could take my 120 series anywhere where as this thing struggles at the first hint of off-road. You can hear the electronics fighting itself and producing the most uncomfortable grinding noises continually which Toyota says is completely normal . It really is that bad . Towing a 1.5 tonne caravan was a complete struggle to with massive drops in speed with the slightest incline . This motor is simply to small for their claimed 3 tonne towing . I think 3 tonne towing would kill this thing or kill the occupants whilst being overtaken by hundreds of trucks that would be battling to go around you . If it wasn’t for the economy I would of traded this thing already . I’ll put another 40k on this thing and then look at other options . If you are buying this as a tow car I would seriously suggest you hook up your caravan etc and test out it’s towing ability for yourself . Hope this helps

Purchased at: Toyota Dealers

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J120 (2002-2009) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2015

The best car I had

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

2004 1KZ, Done 230,000Km with it. running smooth, reliable.
Has been offroad with this car a lot never had a problem,
If the Auto box was 5 speed It would make a different car.
I like this engine is so simple and makes life easier with service and low maintenance cost

Melb

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Ok but could be much better

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

Owned since dec 2015. The car is quiet and cruises nicely. Love the 150L tank capacity. Nice and roomy. Interior not too bad. A few things they annoy me incl.
- why can't you set the satnav destination whilst moving?
- the touchscreen is clunky
- when reversing with the radio from the night before on 1st start the next morning you can't click the radio off. You can only turn vol down
- I've had the car for 2 1/2 yrs now and still struggle how to switch off rear AC from the front
- engine is a bit weak for the weight of car
- dynamics a bit lacklustre
- ugly grill and front.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: VX Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2018

This car is shit, DONT BUY IT

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2018

This car broke down every week and couldn’t tow my trailer which only weighs 1tonne
It’s is really uncomfortable and the radio cut out a lot
If you are buying a car buy a land cruiser instead
It is too expensive and it is not worth what I bought it for

Purchased at: Mornington Baby Goods Warehouse

• 18 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: Kakadu Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Too many issues not built to last

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

Our car started off great, but once the DPF started playing up it all went down hill, huge smoke clouds fuel consumption up to 14lts per 100, Toyota made us come back to continually waste our time, 3 seperate days to be told it needs a new filter and it's a month wait, it is a known issue yet they still wasted our time over and over, They cannot guarantee us the new DPF will not end up the same after the next 30,000kms.

We also found a fair amount of dust in our air intake after looking into the issue we found Toyota are well aware and can't say if it will be fixed, we purchased the vehicle with intentions to use it as a long term tourer but it is quickly becoming a very unreliable 4wd and they are well aware of all the issues which are not isolated to a few vehicles so buyer beware Toyota reliability has gone out the window followed by there customer service.

Adelaide

• 5 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J120 (2002-2009) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2007

Great car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2018

Great vehicle to drive easy to park good fo towing ,good riding on or off road .
Have airbags in rear coil springs ,Bridgestone ,desert duellers , CB 40 channel, spare 12 volt deep cycle battery hard wired in rear ,recovery hooks fitted ,towbar Anderson plug 50amp ,electric brake controller (Redarc ) turbo timer , clear view mirrors,28" LED bar on sovereign bull bar . Bought Prado New have done 170,000 km ,have replaced engine mounts twice since new , water pump , plus compulsory timing belt .great leg room in the front but never sat in rear .removed third row on day bought car
Dash easy to see,ease using controls , Bluetooth .
Don't like one big door no access to fridge when caravan on door can't open due to brake on tow hitch same as boat hitch.have to jackknife the caravan & boat . Tailgate or barn doors would be much better.
Towing 13 litres per hundred Kms @ 85 kms ,boat is 1.9 tons loaded ,caravan loaded 1.4 loaded.
A very reliable vehicle . Around town 9 ltrs per hundred country 8.4 @ 100 kms

August 25th 2018 Update: One big door

Bought new GXL 2007 Prado diesel great to drive holds road well on or off bitumen great in sand plenty of grunt low down . I tow a 1.9ton boat and a single axel caravan 1.2 ton . The thing I dislike the most one big door when the boat is on cannot open rear door unless I jack - knife it , the overriding brakes restrict the door can't get into the fridge , barn doors or tail gate would be better however I personally. Would like barn doors as spare wheel could still stay on rear door and still have 150 litre fuel tank( 2007 180 ltrs tank ) the new Prado GXL is a 7 seater seats fold into the floor if I bought a new Prado I would not be able to put a fridge in the back on top my draws as it raises the floor up by another 150 mm impossible to open fridge . GX base model Prado is only available that's if I bought Toyota .also if unfortunate to be rear ended spare wheel and door cannot be repaired.. Prado has done 180kms trouble free running with the exception of engine & transmission mount .engine mount are vacuum run not transmission $800.00

Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2015

Great driving fun

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

The Prado is a great driving experience, both on & off road. On the road it is a smooth ride combined with surprisingly good handling & mobility. Easy to navigate through the city but the parking sensors are a must have. Off road, if you're that way inclined, it is dynamite, smoothing out bush tracks with ease & a blast to drive (my kids loved it).

Rockhampton

Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: May 2018

Needed the space!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2018

We had a baby 10 months ago and realised we needed more space than our Hilux offered. Love the Toyota and didn't want to sway from it so had a look at the Prado. Love it for space. We can take everything (and I do mean everything) our bub needs on our long trips. The only down side so far is the short gears. Driving around town we are constantly changing gears (our fault for buying a manual).

• 8 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GX Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Oct 2011

Buyer Beware!!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2018

Beware of d4d engined toyota... This engine is prone to piston fractures 100-150,000km and injector failure 120-140,000km.
Do a google search "Prado d4d engine problems" before purchase...U have been warned!
My engine lasted 141,000 from new always serviced so no excuse for toyota. I took toyota to fair trading for action and extracted some compensation.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide, SA

• 5 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2018

Happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2018

I bought a 2018 gxl update 150 Prado and so far no issues and really like driving the car. The dpf system has yet to come on so I can't comment as yet and Toyota has put a laminated card in with the log books on how to use the vehicle when a dpf burn is required ( more on this later). Overall it's very quiet I like the 6speed auto and Cruises at 110kph at 1600rpm in top gear.I have towed a 2ton boat and no issues at all and engine braking is very good but not as consistent as I would like,towing up hills you won't win races but does the job without thrashing the engine. As soon as roof cross bars were put on the wind noise increased dramatically, basically leave them off for a quiet drive untill needed. Brakes are superb steering is light,turning circle very good. This car has a safety system that is new to me including autonomous braking and radar system and it is great very safe to a point and this happened. While driving at 110kph in dual lanes a car pulled out on the hwy in front of me,I saw the car with plenty of distance between us 100s of meters apart so I indicated to the right lane not slowing from 110kph, half way across to the right lane the Toyota radar picked up the slow moving car 10kph and with no warning braked very heavily and very unexpectedly. I was not ready for such a response from the car it scared the bleep out of me and if I was merging in front of another vehicle at the time at that speed and the brakes slammed on I dare not think what might of happened. Be aware this system has it's faults understand it and not get caught out like I did. I now turn the cruise control off when over taking I don't want to be rear ended at high speed. That was my only bad experience with the car so far and I will keep making comments as time goes on. PS I love the car it's a keeper.

December 10th 2018 Update: Happy great 4x4

Really like this new Toyota Prado use it daily not bad on fuel and now after the first service was done at 7000ks they changed the tune of the motor and gearbox noticeably for the better very smooth and getting rated fuel economy at 8ltr per 100 kilometres. Feels safe to drive and the safety features are good but one thing I don't like is the cruise control as it senses the car in front and slows you down unnecessarily at times also never use it on a winding road you asking for a crash it's very erratic as it picks up objects like a person for instance and will suddenly brake then suddenly accelerate warning do not use on winding roads.But over all very good have driven on the beach no problem just select neutral and select low 4 as I did and reverse to take out of low range very easy. Have fitted at redarc 1225D bcdc charger dual battery twin rear draws and fridge all installed by myself but wouldn't recommend everyone do that themselves it has 9000ks on it now and very happy with it.

Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2011

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2018

* Great performance. Looks big, but easy to drive. Very quiet with lot of space. Ideal for big family. Always wanted to buy Prado
* Interior is Toyota standard. Latest models have been improved.
* Car is reliable. Never had any issues. Regular maintenance will keep the car road worthy.

Atheron

Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: Kakadu Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Prado engine and injectors are not fit for service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2018

Great driving experience. Interior is good. Toyota phone system is poor there is a Bluetooth phone connection for making calls the connectivity with an iPhone is poor. There is no Bluetooth connection for playing music,You can connect with a cable. The Prado is about 10 years behind the times in this regard. Generally I am very happy with the performance since the engine rebuild.
My engine failed at 85,000 kilometres with a cracked piston and faulty injectors. This is a known problem. I believe Toyota have issued recalls in other countries but not in Australia. In my case Toyota supplied a short engine and injectors and charged me $3,000 for the labour only.

Brisbane

• 6 comments
  • 9 answers
  • 7 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: J150 (2009-2018) Badge: GXL Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Nice - Good Handling - even in tight spaces.

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2018

This is an excellent vehicle but would benefit from a panoramic camera view on all models. Currely on the VX and Kakadu have it. IT would also be good it it had auto door locking while driving and auto mirror folding when locking.
The GXL has provides most bang for your buck in the Prado range. The GXL does not have KDSS. and does not have option for it either. Only the DIESEL model is now available - but read about the DPF filter issues before you buy.

Purchased at: Motorama