A'van Aliner

A'van Aliner

1D, 3, 2B, etc...

See the Best Caravans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Brenton

BrentonGippsland, VIC

Good Design but cheap materials and poor workmanship

Easy to two, Reasonably easy to erect but seals do not provide full seal. Had to have all replaced after 8 years. Water unit broke and Avan do not sell the part. You have to buy a complete unit, and it is not like the original. Interior beading all came loose. No thought given to the interior. Lights when folded down, scrape. No latches for doors on the clothing cupboards. Leaked through the interior light fitting in a storm. After sales service is OK in customer service but goods and parts very expensive

Purchased in November 2018.

Mileage 5,000 km
Car ModelToyota HiLux MK7.III (2011-2015)
Functionality
Comfort
Exterior Build Quality
Interior Build Quality
Off-roading Performance

Grey vaner

Grey vanerBallarat

Love the Avan idea BUT!!

Love the idea and ease of setting up but extremely disappointed in the quality of some aspects of van and the absolute lack of support from dealer at first and the continued lack of support from Avan headquarters. Maiden trip woke to heavy smell of rotten egg gas and then spent last 6weeks trying to get sorted. The venting for battery is higher than battery box so gas escapes from box rather than out vent because the gas is heavier than air but Avan refuse to show no interest in problem. There is also pipe work underneath that runs on chassis and wires dangling. On a brighter note than van tows like a dream and is quick to set up and extremely comfortable

Floor PlanAdventure plus off road model
Mamaluchka

MamaluchkaAU

Disinterested Service from Avan

Being a solo female owner of an Avan Aliner 1D, I ask myself why is Avan's service record shockingly deficient? No response to several requests for help, as I have experienced in several of their agencies. This disinterest will eventually come back to bite them! I certainly will never recommend them what their service record is concerned and warn people on consumer feedback forums like this one. I have shared with others and they agree. Just basing their business on sales and neglecting service is poor company practice! Come on Avan, you can do better than that!

Floor PlanAliner 1D

davew

Aliner - take your tool kit and bandaids!

Floor Plan1D

Wonnie80

Wonnie80Gippsland, VIC

Second A'van

Our original A'van purchased in 1998 served us extremely well over 17 years and we have just updated to a new one. The build quality is good but I fear the quality of the actual chassis will not live as long(Chinese steel) Think this is general across the industry now. We had a double bed but advancing years made it difficult during the night!! Now with singles, much better. Water tap on the front draw bar good idea and the hot water system for the round bowl sink is a great improvement. Annoyingly I, a 162 cm female,was able to easily put up the roof on our previous model, yet I could not lift the new one (and this is from one day to the next) - must be weightier in the construction.

Floor Plan2 single beds (at either end)

Preach7

Preach7North Western Region, NSW

A nice van to Tow and comfotable to use.

We have had our van for a yr now and find it easy to tow and to put up and down but the annex can be difficult to put up. Not recommended if you just staying over night but good on long stays. We rebuilt the bed and replaced the folding panels under the bed with one solid shed of 5 ply and fitted gas struts. We added an egg shell mattress on top of the existing foam mattress that came with the van, it seems comfortable enough. We also took the table out to give more room and as we set up a table under the annex we didn't need on inside, It also allowed for storage of gear in that space. Hope this helps those who have an Avan Aliner Kel .

Really loved travelling in our Avan Aliner 2006.

We traveled over east from Perth and just loved the ease of towing (even the wife shared the driving). Want a cup of coffee pull over anywhere, pop up avan in 30 seconds, turn on the gas & kettle on all within 60 seconds. Pop it down and off you go. Its like towing a trailor. We ended up purchasing a Avan Cruiseliner with single beds, only because it annoyed me (double bed) having husband climb over top of me to go to toilet during the night, my only complaint. We also found buying the earlier model a lot me solid built, hinges stainless less (new vans aluminium) floor a lot more solid as well.

Richard

RichardCoonabarabran

Storage ,quality

Had great times with my cruiseliner off road model 2003 .problem
The large springs on the corners of lids have all dropped or moved towards the centre of the van ,this jams the sides when l lift them .Anyone else have this problem ? And what can be done .Note have done 100,000ks not much off road stuff only on well maintained gravel.
Recommend to store roof locked down ? Or up ,when stored ?

The only way to explore Australia

We bought our Avan Aliner after taking a year to research what fitted us. We started thinking about a Toyota Hiace and this grew to a Daf 4 tonne truck but luckily we narrowed it down to between an Avan Aliner and a Jayco Swan the Avan won. It has no wet canvas to repack or to blow in the breeze and the Avan is fully insulated and can be put up by my wife in 3 minutes. After 16 years and over 100000K and having slept in it for over a year we still love going away in it.

Bob of gulf point

Bob of gulf pointMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Done five trips. Update.

Still good. Keep gas.

Still good. Put on a fold down external table. Excellent idea (also superbly executed, hum!). Bought ten dollar four way wheel brace at pawn shop. Also good. Still small, but still good.

Macka

MackaRockhampton

Small Vent Lids a major issue.

I have a 2012 Cruiseliner and so far the 14 inch Heng-Jensen lids have been replaced 5 times.
A Van are less than helpful. Experience has certainly put me off Caravaning and A Vans.
Suggest you buy Jayco.

Marty

Marty

First time caravaner, happy so far

We have a 2009 Aliner, it is easy to tow, and to erect, in fact it is quicker to set up than our tent. Has all the necessary items for free camping, solar, fridge, stove, hot water and sink. Be restrictive interior but some discipline in packing and storage eventually overcomes this issue. As mentioned by other reviews, after sales is a bit wanting, not at all supportive at times, so unless you are a bit of a handyman, it's up to yourself to deal with issues.
Would still buy one, but latter off road model.

Geoff Stevenson

Geoff StevensonVictoria, Australia

Great little van,, easy to tow and setup.

Gr Holl

Gr HollMELBOURNE

2000 Sportliner

Good little camper , well designed use of internal space with 30 second set up of hardtop although setting up of annex takes longer should have been designed better. Light & tows really well behind my Suzuki Grand Vitara. Good as a short stay van but cramped for longer stay.
Easy tow, hardly know its there, Quick set up and pack up. Handy solar lighting. Easy to push by hand. Reliable.
Too small for long stay unless you have annex for more space.

Michael Wolf
Michael Wolf

Looked at the A Van but went for a ChaletRV 1935. Bigger, stronger, more storage and more featues including a shower toilet combo. Better price

A'van
AvanA'van

Hi Gr Holl thanks for your you great review, we are please to see your are happy with your Sports liner and hope it gives you many happy adventures in the future.

Smiley Jim

Smiley JimAU

Concept A plus - Service C Minus

M Ancliff
M Ancliff

We thought we would love our van but after 39 faults 5 which were defects with the RMS and two CTTT hearings and 10 visits to get repairs we dont love our van anymore. Avan has been ordered to return our full purchase price.

magnus1941
magnus1941

Would be interested to know if Avan actually complied and refunded your purchase price. My guess is, you are still waiting.

Concept A plus, Quality B minus, Service D minus

We are contemplating getting another Aliner. Have tried a larger caravan that needed a larger vehicle and now with a Forester the Aliner is the best match.
Excellent unit for two people. We found storage not a problem and ample for our needs.The extra space under double bed most useful. We had ours from 1998 to 2004
covering trips tp Queensland, prospecting in WA - being towed by our then Liberty waggon proved an excellent combination
The condensation from roof joint, mostly overcome with vents slightly open

BeeTee33

BeeTee33BeeTee33

Great concept let down by poor quality control

Ian Hobba
Ian Hobba
Pablito
Pablito

We bought a 2004 AVan Aliner Cruiser second hand last year (our first caravan) for $17,500& REALLY enjoyed it.

Bushmedicine
Bushmedicine

Can anyone please tell me what towing system is required for the 2001 Avan? I have been quoted around $2000 that includes an electric braking system. Does it have an electric system? I suspect not because of the weight....

14 years with an Avan

johnel
johnel

We bought a 2004 aliner 2010 and have towered and lived in it since then great to tow and back wheels set back what we are after is a fly screen door

Robyn  Walmsley
Robyn Walmsley

i have one velco from one of the cheap shops magnetic close is great.

neirbokj

neirbokjSydney, NSW

Great for two..

We have a 2004 CruiseLiner with many extras and find it an excellent proposition after a Jayco Freedom .. The Avan is easier to tow and much more sensibly designed. The only drawback compared is the annexe assembly but once you become familiar with the routine it adds just a few more minutes to dropping the awning. Allup a fantastic unit!!!
Towing ease, sensible storage
Annexe assembly V rollout awning

Michael H

Michael Hasked

Hi,
2 days ago I plugged my 2009 cruiseliner into the mains to charge the battery (because the solar panel had been covered for a few months) all went well until yesterday when I tried to turn one of the DC lights on to find all the lights and the water pump now don't work but they did before I connected to the mains!
The battery charger is lit up and seems to be working

davew

Fuse maybe? How long since you charged your battery?

MCEC

MCECasked

What does it cost to replace the roof springs?

davew

Check out Avanspares here - https://www.avanspareparts.com.au/campers/furniture-and-hardware/display/43-roof-spring-front-left-and-rear-right
About $25 each plus postage and a fair bit of mucking around. You may want to replace the bungee rubbers as well. I have not done it, but here is a youtube link you may want to look at. https://youtu.be/cbz6_-PxZ7Q
Hope that helps. Dave

Coopsdasked

We are purchasing a 2009 Avan Aliner. We want to get some advice please on putting in an air conditioner. Really only want a 1hp.

Debs

davew

Hi Debs. I have seen people buy a $300 old school AC from Bunnings and mount them on the drawbar. If you want an RC which can heat as well I would go to a Caravan or RV fitter and get advice. There are a lot of slimline and compact , efficient and quiet units out there but retrofitting is not always easy ... or cheap. New models have the rc AC fitted under the double bed at the back. Our 2010 Aliner has opening windows on all four sides with the roof up so we have survived w/o AC so far. We like simplicity.
Hope this helps. Dave

Coopsd

Thank you Dave. I saw a photo the other day of what you described eg. Box in the front. It is an option. Tks Debs

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives