AAMI Home & Contents Insurance

AAMI Home & Contents Insurance

We were happy for 5 years, until now.

We were happy for 5 years with AAMI Home and Contents Insurance. We made 1 claim 6 months ago, that was easy and smooth transaction. But we went to make a claim last week, and were told we arent covered for Accidental Home Contents Damage, even though at the time when we signed up we were advised it was included. We now will be reviewing our 3 policies with AAMI, including our two car policies.

Which companies should we try, that offer Accidental Home Contents Damage?

Good and Bad

I have had a great relationship with AAMI and after damage occurring to my home, AAMI has been very thorough, and my claims manager has been amazing!
BUT There have been alot of problems.
The first, and biggest- since some parts of the house were not affected by flooding, they are not covered, so I would have mismatching flooring if I did not opt to pay $5000 for the extra myself.
Everything seemed to be running smoothly- with a number of services involved in the repair, but then communication seemed to go haywire, and people were calling that I didn't expect, so I did not know what to tell them..
I had my house all packed up, stayed up all night preparing for the day the removalists were coming to move furniture out, had accommodation booked, made arrangements for pets, and had my children looked after, took a day off work... and then waited .. and waited. They didn't show up! At 11 am when I called to ask what was going on, I was told the job had been canceled because the flooring supposedly ordered was not available. - The plumber, electrician, removalists, flooring installers and building supervisor knew.. but no one told me!!!!! Or my Claims manager. - and so aside the massive inconvenience, and that I had missed work... it was too late to cancel the 6 nights accommodation
I was urged to change my color selection, but I was already settling on a color that closest matched my old flooring- so the job has been put off for 4 months until the flooring becomes available.
So, now my insurance is ready for renewal. - which is what has upset me.
I was contacted by the insurance provider my car is with to compare premiums, - I thought there was no harm. but after putting in the same conditions as I have with AAMI - it was $250 cheaper, with half of the excess costs.
I contacted AAMI to discuss options, as I don't really want to change. But because my claim is still in progress ( it should have been completed a month ago if there had not been the major mess up.) They cannot discount my premium.
HMMMMMMMM- I've been through alot, and a comment like that really bugged me.
I now have to consider my options.
Certainly makes it difficult, since my claim is still in progress.. if I am to change provider I expect there will be consequences.. I don't really like having my choices taken away.

Claim ApprovedYes
Claim DateNovember 2018

There must be NO stars for AAMI

Complete ripoff service. When you try to make a claim, they comes with "its not include" in your policy. Complete scam, many better insurance companies are there out, keep searching.

Claim MadeNo

UNLUCKY you're with AAMI!!

After 20 years with this company and having made minimal claims we are now being treated as criminals as they investigate a recent robbery from our house. We have been subjected to individual investigative phone interviews, a visit from an outsourced loss assessor and most recently a home visit from an outsourced private detective. This person wanted our personal financial information, access to phone records and a police check, not to mention a copy of the official police report (wait time 8 weeks). It is 8 weeks since we were the victims of the home invasion, we had to cancel expensive overseas holiday arrangements and now we are being subjected to continued harassment as the company tries to avoid a payout. We are suspected of setting it all up for our financial gain. AAMI has no concrete evidence for this so are we being subjected to this treatment?
DO NOT INSURE WITH AAMI! we will not in the future.

Type of ClaimTheft

Rubbish Lifetime Guarantee didn't last 12 months!!

I had been a loyal AAMII customer for over 25 years spending over $3500 each year on insurance. But make a legitimate claim and they get the cheapest price, do a terrible job and then wipe their hands of it.

I had a blocked downpipe which was flowing under my house and was unseen for the wettest winter in Tasmania It soaked the underneath of my house and the footings sunk thus house sunk and walls cracked
It took around four months to get quotes to fix and a couple of very reputable repairers didn't want the job with the insurance company because it was difficult to quote
I had no say over who did the repairs and AAMI obviously chose the cheapest
The engineers report said the footings needed under pinning but the builder just jacked the house up and put packers in the shift in position and weight bearing on the stumps caused some of them to move within a couple of weeks and there was no underpinning done to any of the original stumps
The painters were also dreadful and I tried to stop them one day from painting over a greasy dirty exterior wall that i would have happily washed if i had known they were going to paint . They left paint splatters on the floor and even put the end of the roller through the plaster in one of the rooms and argued that the hole was already there when I complained. I asked for a scope of works before the job started and I never received this, there were bubbles in the paint and the cracks began to appear within six months. I had complained to AAMI at the completion of the job that the repairs were substandard but they told me there was a lifetime guarantee. Big joke as soon as the cracks appeared another engineer turned up and said the footings were inadequate and it was not AAMI's fault. So now in a worse position due to shody workmanship I also live in northern Tasmania and saw a similar complaint from another customer in the area.

Claim ApprovedNo
Claim DateAugust 2018

Up Ship Creek

Insurance Contract Act 1984-SECT 46
Please look this up as it may help, if and only if you can find a good lawyer.
Been with AAMI (AAI Limited) for 15+ years when we made a claim.
AAMI accepted our claim for burst water pipe damage, originally located in bathroom & toilet in December 2015. AAMI spent $8500.00 on Mould Remediation to 2/3 of our home, these workers pulled up the flooring in bedroom 3 & Laundry in October 2016 & were taken off site 3 days later. The floors throughout the home will need to be removed to replace the damaged bearers & joists, & extra piers to be installed were the walls are collapsing. More ventilation will have to be put in & soil under floor dug out to provide a proper air gap, this was all missed by our local council when the house was built. Mould has spread throughout the home due to AAMI contractors removing the flooring exposing the interior of our home to the mould. AAMI had meeting with us at our home with their Engineer, a new Builder and a very nasty plump man from Suncorp Melbourne, their engineer then wrote a new report, the new builder done a quote on repairs for our home (settlement only) $13,940.00, offer not accepted by us. Went through the process with FOS they didn't believe us about the falsified documents etc, the FOS consumer advocate, Insurance advocate & Ombudsman ruled in AAMI's favour.
We have been out of our home since early October 2016.
Here in Northern Tasmania there is a small group of engineers that work for insurance companies, all the respected engineers won't or not allowed to do insurance work. We have given our local Labor MP most of this information over
the last 12 months and feel he has left us up SHIP CREEK.
This is only some of what we have been through we know we are going to lose our home because we cannot afford to repair it, one builders quote was $175,000.00.

Claim DateDecember 2015

Burst water pipe major flood damage

Disappointing to see a low star rating with this company. I will have to say we lodged a major home and contents claim with aami and found them nothing short of prompt and professional, From start to finish Hannah Culley from Major Loss division has helped us with complete compassion liaising with the builder and restorers involved returning our property back to us in a timely manner considering the extent of loss to the property.
Your insurance company you choose is only as good as the claim process regardless of premium cost. I would recommend this company anytime.

Thanks again Hannah
Mark and Mandy Edmondson

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Claim DateDecember 2018

Denied my claim for ridiculous reason

Attempted to make a claim as a candle fire had burnt holes in my brand new table top. Never recieved a follow up call and no response to emails. waited on hold for 20 minutes just to be told that because it wasnt the candle that burnt my table, it was a plastic bag that caught fire and melted it that it wasnt an insured event and wont be covered. Am cancelling my insurance with aami IMMEDIATELY!

Type of ClaimFire
Claim ApprovedNo
Claim DateFebruary 2019

Very poor service

Very disappointed with AAMI. Gone are the days when a real person would answer the phone. And gone are the days when they seemed to care. It's expensive and now, after 10 years, it feels like it's not worth it.
I waited nearly an hour for them to answer my call and then they said I needed to ring back. Then I did - to the Claims Department - and the person wasn't available! Meanwhile, our water leak continues to damage the house.
Very poor service. I have been with the company for over a decade and it's really gone downhill.

Claim DateFebruary 2019

No customer service from policy cancellation team

I called the cancellation team today and cancelled my policy with them. I explained to them that I no longer have the card that I paid for this policy and asked if they can refund to a different card, but they insist on issuing a refund to the same card by quoting the law only allows them to do this. In the end, he even said "Do you want me to break the LAW?" For god sake, I don't want to you to break any law, I just want my money back! I don't think they even care, job is done, next please...

Claim MadeNo

Awesome product choice and service

We have policies with AAMI for business and home for contents, cars, landlord and business effects. They have always been great to deal with and recently I called to reviews our policies and got refunds which covered adding 1 new policy. Highly recommended!

Insurance claim madeYes

We have been with AAMI 10years+, multiple policies for cars, houses, contents. Many claims over the years. Never had a problem - once car hail damage was to be assessed by those pop-up hail assessment teams, took too long (months), said to AAMI that it was taking too long and if car wasnt fixed in four weeks, i would make a formal complaint. Car was quickly moved off the assessors list a booked in with a local smash repairer. So not really much to complain about....you get what you pay for with insurance. AAMI isn't cheap, bit is excellent to deal with. No overseas call centres :) ....So on Mon this week a tree fell through the roof of our investment property. So much activity in the first week! Within 4 days, Calls from Aami + contractors , met assessor and tree lopper on site, and money already in my bank account for first four weeks of lost rent. I thought that was pretty good for four days since the tree fell!!! Would recommend Aami.

Contents insurance only.

All 4 members in our family have had Aami insurance for cars, home and contents.over at least 10 years. This is our first claim for contents, after a break in and burglary at my sons unit. .It happened last Thursday, and after providing the requested ' proof of ownership' ( where possible ), they have already provided replacements for most of the stolen items, and they have paid cash into my sons bank, and have arranged for other items to be sent by mail.( all in less than a week ! ) We have been comunicating by email and phone calls, with no problems at all. We have been amazed at the service supplied., and will be ' staying ' with Aami...

BE CAREFUL OF AAMI Home Insurance

I have had AAMI home insurance for years and never had a claim. Recently my upstairs shower sprung a leak and I had water damage as it poured from the upstairs down through the downstairs ceiling. Turns out AAMI denies claims like that. Not sure why? What do we pay insurance for if it's not for things like this? What else will they randomly deny? WATCH OUT!

Insurance claim madeYes

WARNING: DONT MAKE A CLAIM WITH AAMI, THEY WILL TREAT YOU LIKE A CRIMINAL WHEN YOU ARE THE VICTIM.

We recently had the unfortunate experience of having a burglary take place at my home while out of town.

I contacted police etc when I returned to find the incident and after a few days I contacted AAMI to lodge a claim who immediately demanded I pay my excess upfront.

Everything seemed fine to start with when lodging the claim then it all turned to crap when Aami decided they were going to investigate the claim as fraudulent. Being close to Christmas there were presents in the house that had been purchased and stolen and therefore the claim included some things that I wouldn’t usually have in the house.

The assessor came around and looked at all the proof of ownership for the items and took photos etc then left. Took 35 minutes or so which was quicker than I expected it to take.

About two hours after leaving the assessor called me saying ‘I don’t mean to offend you but we need proof that you can afford the items you are claiming’ So I sent him a copy of my bank statement showing my balance and he was fine with this (I am a nursing student but I am also a Clinical Psychologist)

A week or so later I contacted AAMI to find out what is happening with the claim as I hadn’t heard anything since the assessor. I was then informed that the claim had been referred to their ‘review team’. I spoke to the review team who advised they were going to be sending out an external investigator to look into the claim. This call was followed up by an email from a Suncorp Fraud & Intelligence officer confirming the appointment.

The investigator came six days later to do an interview which consisted of over 3 hours of interrogation and questioning. Then took the same photos as the assessor and left.

Another week passed and I got an email from the investigator requesting four months of bank statements for ALL my account and credit cards, Phone records showing calls and messages sent for a four-month period and my lease agreement and they wanted a criminal record check to be completed. I then contacted the Fraud & Intelligence officer at AAMI to ask for justification why these are being requested. The response received said ‘In order for you claim to process forward you need to co-operate in the investigation process as advised in your policy guidelines.’ Basically saying we want it and don’t need to give a reason. I refused to accept this and replied stating without justification I will not be providing these documents. The response to that was ‘These documents are what we see as reasonable and important so we can rule out any possible motives with your claim and to verify your timeline in your version of events.’ So I sent the documents advising if they were to request any further documents I would require better justification before providing them.

So long story short, It has been over a month and AAMI are treating me as if I’m a criminal just because I needed to make a claim. I have been patient enough with this. Yet there is still no response about the claim, when I do try call for a response I get told it is still with the ‘review team’. This is pathetic. I am almost ready to send this claim to AFCA to get some sort of response.

I will definitely not be renewing my policy with AAMI or any Suncorp based insurer.

Insurance claim madeYes

AAMI appears to have defrauded me

On the 10th January 2011 our house was damaged by overland flow in the Queensland floods. We did not flood from river water. AAMI sent out their insurance assessor who agreed with our claim and confirmed it was overland flow. AAMI said they would pay us our claim as they told us we were covered. Yet in 2018, we still have not received one cent from AAMI. Everytime I have called and follow up with AAMI I have been told that my claim was accepted yet when I ask where the money is I am told “the cheque is in the mail”. This has been going on for over 7 years. I am of the personal opinion tha AAMI have been deceptive and misleading and have defrauded me of the money that I was legally entitled to as a result of the insurance claim. This is how I was treated even despite being a customer for a long time and holding a rating 1 of life on all my policies. It is also my personal opinion that AAMI is not fit to be able to sell insurance. It is also my opinion that the Australian Government need to stop protecting the Insurance industry and allow the general public to take insurance companies throught under competition and consumer law act of 2011. Also change the Corporations Act to make fraud in the finance and insurance a criminal offence.

One star is too many

We recently had an unpleasant experience of being burgled made even worst by the antagonistic approach of the AAMI representative. I was made to feel guilty for making a legitimate claim and frankly I was discussed by their behaviour. So much for loyalty!

Insurance claim madeYes

Poor service to a very loyal customer.

I had been with AAMI for approx 10 years and finally called them to ask if they would reduce my premiums, as I had never had a claim thru them. They said no and, in fact, increased my premiums because I was moving to another apartment in the same suburb that has 2 security gates and an intercom. I received a letter at my new address asking me to call them because they did not get the details of my new address. Strange how they managed to post the letter to my new address. So I called them and the girl was very rude and basically asked me the same questions several times over before she was satisfied. One of the questions she repeated was ‘what is the roof made out of?’. As I don’t have access to the roof on level 31, I told her I didn’t know. I would assume most people living in an apartment complex would not know the answer to this. Poor service AAMI!

Insurance claim madeNo

Terible insurence ever

I have been with the insurer for 4 years now and never had a claim until now. On first week of Oct 2018 I made a claim due to my central heater burnt out.the system was 3 years old and just outside the warranty period.
initially made the claim online and haven't got a call back for 3 days, then I called to enquire and the person spoken was rude and demanding. First thing in their mind was to get the excess charged.

On 11 Oct a person called me and said the payment will be processed and I should get the money in two days but haven't. so I contacted back and they said the claim was on hold due to no reason was stated in the invoice for burnout. Still trying to get it finalised and now its been close to two months and no response all the email I sent

Horrible insurance, I never had to provide reasons and details with earlier insurance companies I was with, this for just a 760$ claim and I am not sure if they will pay me if the claim is more.

Cant Praise AAMI Enough for their Superb Customer Service

I had a break-in several weeks ago and i am insured with AAMI. They have been very professional and efficient in terms of providing the damage repair and also evaluating the financial damages incurred during the break-in. The repair is still ongoing but i am very impressed with the service provided and due to excellent service provided, will likely transfer my other car insurance policy to AAMI as well.