AHM (Australian Health Management)

Comprehensive policy that’s perfectly tailored to my needs

My experience with AHM, since joining them in March 2019, has been entirely positive. Which makes it hard to understand why, as of this review, 11 June 2019, 64% of the reviewers have given AHM only one star out of five, and only 18% give them five out of five. This seems to me to be an unfair and biased assessment of an excellent health insurance company that offers affordable, value for money products.

I decided to switch from my previous insurer, because AHM offered a more tailored and cheaper policy, that covers me for everything that I need, but without all the bells and whistles that were costing $40 a month. My new AHM policy suits my needs and saves me money too.

Switching was simple and easy, thanks to the efficient and supportive customer service from the guys at AHM. They made sure that it all went smoothly and kept me informed every step of the way. And ever since my membership of AHM has been confirmed, the claiming process, using HICAPS, has gone seamlessly, and without any hitches.

One of the reasons I was initially hesitant to change, was that my previous insurer had their own dental surgery, where I was able to receive treatment, at no or low cost. However, AHM utilise the services of Pacific Smiles dentists, where I get very satisfactory treatment on the same basis as if the surgery belonged to AHM, i.e. I get full benefits and free checkups and so far I haven’t paid for it.

General customer service from AHM is outstanding. There’s very quick response time to phone calls, or you can utilise the online live chat feature, where you can also talk directly to a consultant.

AHM is owned by the publicly listed Medibank Private health insurance company, one of the largest health insurance providers in Australia. That’s important to give you extra comfort, knowing that your important health cover is under the umbrella of a large, credible and well respected Australian company.

I’m very happy that I choose AHM.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateApril 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Leaves out information and calls it simple

Purposely leaves out information to just so the "simple bits" when they're really just being dodgy. Couldn't even claim on extras because they weren't expensive enough according to an amount that can only be found when making claim and not when purchasing

Book AgainNo

Do not do it!! Wish I could give negative stars!!

Absolutely crap service... No assistance from the "customer advocacy services" Pam... I would not recommend this insurance company they certainly do not care about people and their health......... all money driven...

question for everyone.

1. can you tell me your phone number from 5 years ago?
2. can you tell me who the name was that you spoke to when signing up to the service?
3. can you advise what day you called to set up your policy?

if you don't know the answers to these questions there is a good chance that you will not be receiving the right cover and if have an issue they won't assist you at all!!!!!!!! Cancelling my policy straight away!!!!!

AHM Unprofessional Texts Sent

Not very professional sending this to my young daughter who is on my policy. Perhaps the wording should be kept private not hidden from parents. It’s pretty sneaky and my young daughter seemed confused by their message sent to her mobile.

Book AgainNo

Braces cover for children, AHM get it so wrong

Had AHM cover for 2.5 years as a family of 5 with $2500 lifetime braces cover per child. AHM monthly premiums for our family were $375. Daughter's braces cost more than $2500 but the dentist offered 0% interest payment plan. Monthly payments are $198. After paying the first 3 months installments of the denticare payment plan, uploading a new claim form each time with receipt each month to receive my $198 refund from AHM, my 4th claim was refunded only partially. A call to AHM revealed that they only pay out $700 per child, per year, so each year we could only claim $198+$198+$198+$94=$700. So for 3.5 months of the year our health expenses were just the $375 AHM premiums, because AHM refunded 3.5 of the denticare payments claimed from our $2500 braces cover. However, for 8.5 months of the year, our health expenses were $375+$198= $473. We have another child ready for braces but we simply could not afford $375+$198+$198=$771 for 8.5 months of the year for two kids with braces with AHM. I don't know anyone that can afford to pay that all out in medical expenses only each month. We have had to cancel private health cover with AHM and will just pay out the $198 0% interest payment plan installment for each child instead = $396 every month towards the children's braces. AHM's refund policy for braces cover was a massive let down because this process of only refunding up to $700 per year, per child from each child's $2500 lifetime allowance was not explained at any point to us when signing up to the policy. Cannot recommend AHM for families, there has to be a better provider out there.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

more like Awesome Health Management

So far so good! Great service experience when joining and between the Hoyts Date Night and No Gap Dental offers i have already made back a lot of the cost of joining.

Claim MadeYes

Scammers and unreliable/ money hungry health insurance company!

The worse health insurance company on earth!!. I got a text and email last week to inform me that my payment via direct debit had failed. Phewww!!! Thank god! I know!!! I cancelled with the bank, because I am changing my health fund. I have been with you guys for almost 3 years and never made a single claim, until recently. I requested to cancel my policy online but instead they were trying to up sale other stupid products that you cant make use of. They sent out an audit a few days later!!! Are you serious!!???Didnt bother get through to them because its a waste of time and energy. I have moved to Frank instead and their premiums are significantly better/ great reviews. I have authorised Frank to cancel my policy with AHM and yet still pending on my clearance certificate. I remembered when I first joined, they said they will send out a (non-existence/empty promise) $50 gift voucher. What a joke!!! Seriously stop scamming people with your fake policies and try to spam people for money! The worse insurance company of all time is ahm health insurance.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Worst customer service EVER!!!

I contacted AHM for a quote for Health Insurance. After reviewing our current insurance and comparing these, we decided to stay with our current insurer. AHM was notified of this, but they then chose to send a cancellation to our current insurer!!! (Imagine if any of our family needed urgent medical care!!!). It was only a few weeks later that a dental claim didn't process that I phoned up current insurer to discover this...... Very wrong of ahm to cancel our current insurance!!!!! Avoid at all costs!

Receipts - Worst Service - Avoid this company - 0 star

I have been with AHM for 3 years as an overseas student health cover.
They recently requested that I send in receipts for GAP claims, as part of an audit process. Therefore I have to pay back a certain amount of money in 14 days.

First of all, That was the instructions that I had when I first signed my contract.
Second of all, do I have to have the knowledge of GAPs between the insurance company and the clinics?

Even online service, they MUST have a team to check every single receipt. Otherwise, you can upload any paper there and get the refund. That is ridiculous.

A serious company would check it before to refund. It makes clear they have no capacity to evaluate the claims.
In the end, they will charge you for their incapacity. I feel extremely harm as a consumer.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months

AHM OSHC AMBULANCE REFUND

AHM OSHC doesn`t want to give me ambulance refund because the ambulance didn`t take me to hospital when I dislocated my shoulder.

They came and gave me loads of medicine to relieve pain before putting it back in place. According to AHM, their ambulance policy only covers ambulance when they take you to hospital, that means if you get injured like in my case, it is better to ask them to take you to hospital even after getting my shoulder fixed. So, instead of saving lives, they should be cruising with me to hospital in order to save AHM $423 dollars.

Overseas students, be very careful when choosing them in order to save some dollars, because when you need them, this 100 or 200$ you save upfront is gonna cost you much more.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateFebruary 2019

Worst Service and support

I was previously with Medibank Private and looking to find a lower cost option to health Insurance. Only to be lead astray, especially through the consultant at the time, where certain aspects of cover removed that were not supposed to happen. After trying to claim and finding out I was not covered, I was told I would have to wait 6 months. However when I go to claim I am told it is actually 12 months. No care from the company, even though it was their error, so once again I am out of pocket up to $800. I'll be leaving this fund immediately.

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family

Be careful with receipts

I have been with AHM for 12 years and was happy with them until they changed to online. They recently requested that I send in receipts for claims dating back 2 years, as part of an audit process.
I haven't kept all receipts so they are now saying I will have to pay back any benefit received.
Interestingly in some cases my provider has not kept records either.
The is a terrible fund, they look cheap and they are cheap, avoid at all costs, I recommend HCF or anyone else.

Insurance claim madeYes

Less than a zero star, useless benefit for a more expensive fees.

A total scam and worse than another provider I used. Too much regret for switching to AHM and hoping to upgrade for better quality, I even agreed to pay way more than before.
Total dental cost $435, refunded $134. Even though I am Paying $137 monthly benefit. Only realised the scam benefits when used once in 8 months dental care. Be very careful when applying online (AHM can not be trusted). They will suck your money. Promoting $900 yearly extra benefit, However, you will only get $79 even though you are paying $235 cost of a tooth FILLING.
There should be a less than zero star for AHM. This company deserves less than zero star. They should also be audited by government for corruptions.
A horrible and sickening policy. Will be switching to another provider ASAP. AHM is a scammer just like a cheap overseas product, the different is that I paid higher cost for a horrible quality. Corrupted+++!!!!

Better than others

Compared to other health insurance providers, I find AHM a lot more transparent and honest. They communicate clearly about entitlements, and also advised me when my rebate percentage seemed higher than it should’ve been eg I was paying more loading on tax than I should since I’ve had health insurance continuously, so they advised me to investigate further.

Low and behold, I found out my last provider never registered the previous years I held insurance even though I sent all the information when I initially joined.

Thanks to AHM, I’ve now managed to lower my insurance premium again. They had to benefit to advise me, but thankfully they did. Both staff members I spoke to were so professional, friendly and great communicators. Not overseas call centres! Plus you can choose how you want to spend your extras cover, rather than paying for things you never use.

They’re not perfect but definitely better than the other two providers I’ve tried. Plus you can speak to them until 7pm. RT Healtj close 5pm on the dot, and they’re the ones who stuffed up my govt rebate!!

Insurance claim madeNo

Not too bad for overseas student

I have been with oshc ahm for 4 years and just signed up for an extra cover almost 1 month. And for first coule years I’ve never made any claim but around end of last year I was sick and need to get into the hospital I had to see GP and buy a lot of medicines I can claim all of then even not in full but all they need is just receipts that made easily than other companies. Now I decided to get an extra cover for dental so far is good but they have to improve their customer service.

When I call them for sign up staff was very very polite even I’m not good in English but she tried to understand what I want to know (I know she wanted me to purchase it) but after 1 week I called asking more information with same number staff who talked to me was so rude he knew I’m not native speaker he checked my member id and said you are an overseas student you should call other number!! What?!!! Seriously??? I paid extra and have to get this service??? But so far besides that rude staff was ok.

Insurance claim madeYes

Will go out of their way with ridiculous excuses to not pay

I have been with AHM for over 15 years, before that I was with AHM on my parents membership. Last year my membership lapsed in August.
In late October my son was diagnosed as having a tongue tie, to have his day surgery we needed to fill out pre-existing condition forms to prove it wasn’t known before August. My GP filled out a form (cost $50 for an appointment to fill out the form) and sent it off to AHM. They have now told me they also need the specialist (whom I saw for the first time in November based on a referral from above mentioned GP) to fill out a form saying he wasn’t aware of it before this (even though the form from GP says I wasn’t referred to him until late October!!!!!)
I need to pay $300 to see my specialist and fill out a form to repeat what the GP has said to save $256 from AHM.... so mad it is such a waste of money I don’t know why I bother nothing useful is covered with this private health insurer.
Will be moving to a better health fund.

Outstanding service

I have dealt with various insurance companies, both personally and professionally and the service provided to me and my family by AHM was first rate. They are courteous, fair and professional.

Insurance claim madeYes

WHEN IN TROUBLE DON'T CALL AHM!

I have been with this company now for 5 months and was recently rushed to hospital via ambulance. i was told that Noosa Hospital had a vacancy and if i had private health insurance they could take me up there, which i advised that i did have. I was admitted to the hospital and given immediate treatment to assist me breath. The administration team at the hospital then advised me that my health insurance company AHM had declined my acceptance into Noosa Hospital. After several weeks in hospital i called my ahm medical cover and asked why my claim was declined but was told that they had insufficient information to process my claim at the time and that i should have called prior to going to hospital to check with them first!!!! i was barely breathing at the time i was taken by ambulance - AHM advised that there was no reason that my admittance should have been declined and that i was covered to go to a private hospital - what have i been paying for all this time!!! i have since cancelled my cover and have told lots of people i know how poorly my matter was treated by AHM!!!!!!!!!!!

Incompetent customer service

Never in my life have I received customer service as poor as I have from AHM. After a failed direct debit, I was notified via email explaining this, followed up via a phone call. Upon receiving the phone call I was in a position where I was unable to provide my card details to which I was told the outstanding amount would be taken out of my next direct debit, which I was fine about. Fast forward 2 months, I received a phone call stating that the future transactions had been cancelled and had 2 months of premiums owing and my cover was no longer "financially current". This was quite distressing to hear, knowing in case of an emergency or accident I wouldn't be covered. I was told i'd still be accepted into the public system. If I wanted to use the problematic public health system I wouldn't waste my money on private. Apart from phone calls, no other line of communication was expressed i.e. letters, emails, SMS or voice messages stating this issue or the urgency of the matter. Customer service didn't care about the lack of communication and were only interested in the payment. After being hung up on and speaking to various service members I was told a different story each time and no one could explain why I wasn't notified. I pay top premiums with 1/3 of payments essentially accounting for 'customer service/account management', what a waste of money and time. Never have I had a problem with other financial institutions/automatic direct debits where a payment had been missed leading to future payments been cancelled. Do not bother with this company, go elsewhere. Absolutely shocking.