Health Insurance Guide for 2020

The decision to take up private health insurance can be a very involved process, and the factors that go into your decision will be unique to you. Your first dip into the policy selection process can be pretty overwhelming, so this guide will help lay everything out for you as plainly as possible to get you on your way.

Read now

Bev

BevIllawarra, NSW

My enquire was: is my health cover right for me now that I’m older?

The cover I have is what I need for my age of 68. I have been with Westfund about 2 years. They are very helpful.i also like that there is an office in walking distance to me and the employees make my enquiries welcome.

Westfund is great!

Always easy to deal with and good value for money. We highly recommend this excellent fund. Claims are always settled in a timely manner and staff are respectful and polite.

Claim DateAugust 2020
Trish W.

Trish W.Central West, NSW

Good Fund to be with

We have been with the fund for years & to memory it was easy to set up when we lodge a claim it was paid within 1 to 3 weeks staff are always very helpful we have recommended them to everyone that have ask us to what fund we are in

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateOctober 2018

Frank

FrankCentral Queensland, QLD

Excellent company to deal with.

We have been with Westfund for a number of years. From inception they have been very helpful, understanding and just very good people to deal with. Premiums and cover are excellent and we would recommend them to any one looking health insurance.

Claim DateSeptember 2020
CFM

CFMFarrer 2607, ACT

Westfund - Good Service & Good Value

Our experience with Westfund over the past couple of years has been very good, and their telephone and counter staff have always been most helpful. We would recommend them. Their cover seems comprehensive and their fees very competitive.

Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi CFM, thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We're so pleased to hear that you find value with your cover and that our team have been most helpful, whenever you've needed to reach out to us.

Marg

MargWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Not for profit Health fund a winner.

After being with Westfund for six years they are still able to surprise me with benefits that I did not know were available. They were forthcoming with this information and the process to achieve it. I can speak with a person who is always cheerful and helpful.

Claim MadeNo
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Marg, it is pleasing to hear that you are satisfied by our level of communication about what members can access through their cover. Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your experience, we always enjoy hearing from our members.

Rigger

RiggerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great value

I have been with Westfund for a couple of years now and in contrast with other health funds, their annual premium increases have been acceptable. On top of that, I have made enquiries regarding the value of other funds and the selection providers could not better Westfunds services and costs. Their medical payment response have also been great

Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Rigger, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're glad to hear you find freedom and value with your cover.

I have been with westfund for 2 years now and very happy with them. Easy to make claims and the premiums were so much better than my previous health fund. I would recommend them.

Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Jacqui, we are so happy to hear that you are satisfied by the service you are receiving and your cover. Thank you for writing this positive review and for sharing that you would recommend us as a health fund.

Maree

MareeNorthern Region, NSW

Very Happy Customer

I have been with Westfund for more than 10 Years.
After much research I am unable to find a better Fund.Have even had companies try to find a better a Fund but to no Avail.
Always find the staff extremely helpful.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Maree, we're so pleased to hear you always find our staff extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review.

John

JohnIllawarra, NSW

Excellent Service and Cover

I have been a Westfund member for many years and have had excellent service fast payments every time the staff are always polite and I am treated as a valued member not just a number

Claim DateJanuary 2020
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi John, we are thrilled to hear that you feel like a valued member and not just a number. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we always enjoy hearing what members like most about being with Westfund.

Rose Veschetti

Rose VeschettiNorth Queensland, QLD

Great service and friendly staff

I have been with Westfund for 20 years and have had nothing but exceptional service. All my claims are paid within 2 days and the customer service is always great. All my questions have been answered straight away. Today when I was speaking to a customer service officer she told me about the app to make claims and emailed the details to me. Thank you all the staff at different locations I have dealt with have been wonderful. I have recommended Westfund to a lot of people.

Consistently friendly efficient service

Been member very long time - and always assistance has been consistently excellent, whether its face to face or over the phone inquiries. Making claims, eye testing, selecting new specs - always an easy process. Thank you to all at Orange office.

Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Pearl B., thank you for sharing your positive experience with using our services with us. It is pleasing to hear that you find our quality of service consistently excellent.

Roz

RozCentral West, NSW

Excellent Health Fund and Staff

I am so pleased with Westfund, overall great value for Gold & Extras plan with high benefits and bonus benefits, they also provide fast payments of claims. All the Staff at the Dubbo Westfund & Eye Care Centre are always very friendly and professional, its always a pleasure to visit the Dubbo Westfund Centre. I must mention the staff at the Westfund Call Centre are always friendly and professional over the phone and go out of their way to help you, well done Westfund and all your staff. I will never change to another fund, thank you all.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2020

A Family Feel

We have been with Westfund for 36 years and have always received the very best cover. Claims are quick to be finalised and the staff always make one feel like one of a large family. Well done everyone from the main office through to dental, optical and other branches.

Claim DateAugust 2020
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Jeanette, we are thrilled to hear that you have found value and peace of mind with your cover for 36 years. We always enjoy hearing from our long-serving members. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive expiernece with us.

Carbon

CarbonIllawarra, NSW

Great Service

Was referred to by a friend. I only have extras cover but the benefits I receive a really good. Any claim I make is always reimbursed within a week which or on the day which is fantastic. Staff are more than obliging and always friendly.

Claim ApprovedNo
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Carbon, we are happy to hear that you find value in your Extras Cover and find claiming an easy process. Thank you for your positive feedback, we always enjoy hearing when our members are satisfied by the quality of service they are receiving.

Bill

BillNorth Queensland, QLD

Very Happy Customer

I have been with Westfund quite a few years now, I changed from Bupa which I was most unhappy with.
The service at the Townsville centre has always been great, the girls are friendly and happy to accomodate any issues you have. I have really needed them the last couple of years with my health and I have been covered for everything. Thank you Westfund

Claim DateJuly 2020
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Bill, thank you for your ongoing loyalty to Westfund. We are so pleased to hear that you are happy with the service you are receiving from our team in Townsville – we’ll make sure to pass your feedback on to the team.

Kerry M.

Kerry M.

Best health insurance company we have been with

The prices are the best we have found, the app for putting in a claim is so easy you can get it done in under 1 minute and the claims are paid in a couple of days.
You can get through to staff on the phone very quickly and they have always answered all questions that I have asked. They look at each claim and contact you if they can help you further.

Overall we have been with them for quite a few years now and at this stage would not be going anywhere else.

Claim DateApril 2020
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Kerry M., we are thrilled to hear that you find it easy to claim through our Westfund app. Thank you for your ongoing loyalty to Westfund and for sharing your experience with us.

BarbiQ

BarbiQSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good old fashioned customer service

After being with Medibank for years with their yearly price hikes and constantly deleting items from our claim list, I did some homework and chose to go with WestFund Health Insurance. What a breath of fresh air this Australian company is. We are saving $2125 a year and even get more returns back, the ladies in the Maroochydore office, Jade & Janet are just lovely to chat to having helped me out on numerous occasions, and their website and App are so much easier to use. 2 claims I’ve done manually and the benefits were in my bank the next working day. Thanks again for making everything hassle free.

Claim DateJuly 2020
Jackie O'Hare

Jackie O'HareNorth Western Region, NSW

Great people, great product.

Every encounter I have had with Westfund has been positive, with friendly and efficient service. I have most valued the optometrist service for myself and other family members. The optometrist identified a problem my grandson was having as a rare side-effect of medication.

Plan CoverageAmbulance Only
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Jackie O'Hare, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is pleasing to hear that you find value in Westfund Eye Care.

TheReciprocist

TheReciprocist

Great value extras cover and excellent customer service

I don't think I could speak more highly of Westfund. I am on the Essential Pro Extras and get amazing value. With the dental, optical, gym and ambulance benefits included, I definitely get my money's worth. If I do ever need to call to clarify something, the customer service is Australia-based, and is always friendly and efficient. If you're referred by an existing member, you also get an $100 e-gift card which is a nice signup bonus! I will likely need to upgrade to hospital cover soon, and Westfund will definitely be my insurer of choice. Highly recommend!

Under 30Yes
Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi TheReciprocist, we are thrilled to hear that you find value and peace of mind with your cover. Thank you for your kind words, we always aim to provide our members with high quality service.

Mona

Monaasked

Hi
do you cover sleeve gastrectomy operation , and how long I should been waiting till i can do my operation .

Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Mona, thanks for asking this question. We do cover sleeve gastrectomy surgery under our Gold Hospital cover, if it is considered a medically necessary procedure. It's important to note that the procedure needs to have an applicable Medicare Item Number to be payable by Westfund. If you have a pre-existing condition and do not currently have hospital cover, you would need to serve a 12 month waiting period. If you would like further information, please send us a private message and we'll ensure it is followed up.

Peter Sguazzato

Peter Sguazzatoasked

Hi I’m inquiring about your company how long have you been going for, do you cover Australia wide, and do you have a waiting period, looking forward to more information regarding your company, look forward to your reply, regards Peter Sguazzato

Julie T.Westfund Health Insurance

Hi Peter, thank you for asking this question. We are a regional not-for-profit health fund with locations across NSW and Queensland and have been serving Westfund members since 1953. You can find more information about Westfund’s history on our website - www.westfund.com.au/about-us/history/. For information regarding our waiting periods, we recommend you visiting our dedicated waiting periods page - www.westfund.com.au/waiting-periods/.

If you wish to discuss your enquiry in further detail, please send us a private message with your best contact number and, we will be happy to arrange for a member of our team to give you a call.

Peter Sguazzato