Fast and hassle,free

Excellent service...put in a claim last Thursday and included all supporting documentation. Had a call,back on Friday...money in bank on Monday!!! Absolutely no complaints. Person who dealt with my clam was efficient, polite and very helpful

Claim DateSeptember 2019

APIA send out professionals that are not honest and just in to make money

house and content insurance - interior water damage caused by issues with roof valley. Contacted APIA who sent out Home Repairs promptly to look at damage . I accept that the roof damage was a maintenance issue however in the time they took to send the report I had two independent quotes on the roof. Both independent quotes reported I needed the valley repaired. The points had been recently done and roof cleaned when the points were due to be done again.
APIA report said that I need the valleys, points and roof cleaned. Really! I'm changing all my insurance needs out of APIA as I feel I have no trust in them or those who represent them.

Property TypeApartment/Unit
Claim MadeNo

SAVE BY INSURING ELSEWHERE.

As the original founder of APIA way back in 1977 in the Western Victoria town of Warrnambool - let's use it's proper name - Australian Pensioners Insurance Agency - I am very disgusted at the high premiums being quoted by the current owners of the agency.
When founded and for many years is was strictly for pensioners only - no pension card, no insurance with us, now any one over 50 even millionaire can insure with them.
I ran it basically as a Not-For-Profit company. I must point out here that I no longer have an interest having handed the company over sometime in 1985 as it was getting too big for me to handle having had promises it would retain my philosophy of being for the benefit of pensioners.
My disgust comes from my own insurance experience as a pensioner when I asked for a quote for my contents insurance and was quoted $839.37 for exactly the same cover, both in risk and amount, from another company for $244.00.
It is with sad heart I have to write this as it was a great service to pensioners which has now deteriorated in to a money grabbing corporate cash cow.
My advice to all pensioners, and every other person, look around before paying your renewal, you will possibly save hundreds of dollars.
John Ligthart.

Property TypeApartment/Unit

Pathetic

I had Car and Contents insurance with APIA had an incident when I went to claim with Contents made complaint I left to join NRMA and they are still taking money out of my account. Dont go with APIA I made complaint all they could do was blame computer?

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks

Quick response

Thank you Apia for helping us out so promptly, can’t believe how quickly you helped us. Settlement within 24 hours. Thanks again. Would recommend you to anyone, saved a lot of worry.

Great serviceAs

As a grey nomad I have had my Caravan insured with APIA since 2006. Recently my late model 2.4kva Generator burnt out and was beyond repair. The staff at APIA were fantastic and within a few days my claim was settled and a new replacement was purchased. No hassles with with APIA highly recommended

Claim DateJuly 2019

2nd time I've needed them and they surpressed expectations.

Good policy. Moved from another provider who didn't perform and Apia were a great deal better and resolved the claim quickly Very pleased with the outcome and the way it was handled. I hVe car and household insurance with them and would recommended them

Type of ClaimImpact at Home and Theft
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes
I meant to say surpassed expectations

No more!

I have just had a similar experience. My premium has gone up over $400 this year to well over $2000! Last year the same huge increase occurred so I rang them wanting to decrease the rebuild amount. They refused to allow it. I had left it until the last minute so I paid up. I will be doing some "homework" early this year. So much for consideration for us as pensioners!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes

Pricing based on idiotic assumptions

We have been insured for home & contents with Apia, and just received our offer for renewal.

They value our home in Baldivis at $535,000. That excludes the land, buildings only. The house & land are currently worth about $435,000. To build a similar home, including land, in Baldivis would cost us around $400,000 at the moment.

The assumption that the replacement cost of the home is $535,000 is, therefore, idiotic. Yet when I called Apia to discuss the offer, they simply said that it is the minimum rebuild price according to their calculations.

That means we would be paying to insure a property worth at least twice what ours is worth and, therefore, way too much.

As Apia would not even consider insuring us for a reasonable rebuild price in the event of a total loss, we will go elsewhere.

Claim MadeNo

Over ten years paying without a claim

Over ten years we have had home, contents, car and funeral insurance. Wife falls over while vacuming and into the tv. Nope not covered so sorry, find out we arent even covered for theft. Obviously not happy and what do we have insurance for then? Preying on Pensioners its isgusting.

Type of ClaimImpact at Home
Claim DateMay 2019

Lost 1.2 carat diamond ring 22 carat gold which had made in Hong Kong

Got Home and Contents Insurance, also jewellery to value of $11,000. Lost ring put in claim for value of $4000 unable to produce certificate of value or photo etc. APIA sent details including a photo of ring similar to mine to Phenix jewelry, they sent value back of $500. Will be insuring with another company in future as over the years you pay thousands of dollars to these sharks who are quite willing to take your money but when it comes to a claim, BAD LUCK.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019

Contents Insurance

I have the extra contents insurance which you can claim up to $2500 I moved house and lost a gold chain cost me around $1500 apia claim process seemed simple but when it got to this phenix jewelry company that things stuffed up?I had a receipt to say how much I paid but nothing else I showed them a picture off the internet showing the type of chain they assessed it and I went in to pick up the chain they assessed me to get was completely different didn't look of wasn't as heavy as mine ? I had to pay another $735 odd dollars to get my type of chain so plus the $200 excess I paid around $935 to get the chain I lost not real good apia offered to get me a refund so id get the $1300 they quoted me for even though a paid $1500 odd dollars for my chain?

Bit of advice dont use the contents extra service with apia if your going to claim any jewelry they are a rip off.

Dragging the chain

I have two claims going at the same time one for storm damage for my home and the other for my investment property.
So far I could use a swear word but...they are the worst when it comes to paying or organising!!!
I was without power for 10 days and they couldnt care less they still havent paid me the fair compensation and the investment property has had water leaking onto the floors since the 21st March and still no plumber.
My renewal is just about up and I have 5 of them and will be going elsewhere to renew.
Maybe they should have better case managers who know what they are doing?

Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid and Storm and Rainwater
Claim DateMarch 2019

Flooding.

Had 175mm of rain over 1 day here and suffered significant damage to the interior walls of the house. Offered $1755 compensation with a $1000 excess. I am totally appalled and am looking at changing who I am insured with.

Home Insurance perfection

We were flooded in december and apia have been fantastic on every level. Paul our manager has been so considereate even extending accomodation. They paid out quickly and disputed nothing. Highly highly recommend. We are so grateful that we had insuracne with them for this disaster

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes

Took payments when policy cancelled

I got a rewal for my car insurance in January. I had gone up, suprise suprise. When i called them i asked them why it had gone up, they told me it was because of the lack of spare parts for older vehicles, i have Totoyota Landcruiser and the parts are everywhere.

I told them NOT to renew my policy as had found one cheaper elsewhere. As you may have guessed, they ignored this and took a payment anyway. This is the same company that is supposed to look after older Australians, this is a down right lie, they are the most expensive when it comes insurance cover.

Something needs to be done about the lies this company tells.

claim

tenants damaged my new bathroom apia sent down a plumber to check and came back and tried to blame the builders so as house was only a couple years old i had the builder go around with his plumber to check damage and the tenants had done the damage but claim was refused .Im pulling all my insurances from them and returning to aami as they were wonderful apia twice the price as a lot of them as well so i do not recommend them at all

Insurance claim madeYes

Worst insurance poor

Ten years made a claim and got worst tradesmen apia gave to do work. Took 3 months to get a kitchen thru their tradesmen..then lowest quality of work..so they use the seniors and give us long delays and poorest quality of tradesmen.
Please do not get caught like i did.

Insurance claim madeYes

CRAP

You think you are covered for 11 years paying over $50 per month finally have a claim for an $850 TV, $200 of which I have to pay, and yes, you guessed it.THEY WONT PAY. They tell me my policy does not cover me for accidents, which it wasn't anyway, just a freaky breakage, the glass stand which you attach to the tv when you assemble it exploded. (check you don't have glass stands, looked like the tv surround, plastic) Very frightening, and then you have to deal with Apia. Cancelled contents and will find a decent insurer (I hope) then house and contents will have a new cover. I'm devastated, still can't believe what absolute pigs they are and how little their customers mean to them.
Good luck in the future,
CJ Boston
PS Question below asks "Did you make a claim" WELL I TRIED my rating would be a huge minus but no choice!!! surprise surprise

"Happy Holidays". Whatever happened to Christmas

Was quite happy with APIA. But today received a so called Happy Holiday message. If they do not want to say Merry CHRISTMAS they have lost me. I will pay twice as much to get away from a mob that do not recognise the Christmas Holidays.