Audi Q5
See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Audi

• Comfort
  • Features
AAA
AAASydney, NSW

Good to admire until warranty has expired

Bought brand new from dealer. Always serviced at dealership for that periodic and glorious $1000 car wash.
As if it's timed into the car, planks started to come off 4 years into ownership (had some minor issues during warranty, which the dealership fixed).
Problems become more expensive with time. To date, I only clocked ~ 70K KM on the car over 10 years of ownership. Simply, the build quality / reliability is terrible.
We are now on the market for a new car. No more Audi's (or German cars for that matter, perhaps except for Porsche).
These cars only make sense if you are leasing, or on a company car, otherwise you are sitting on a time bomb.

Purchased in November 2011 at Audi Dealers.

Gordon MorrisFar North Queensland, QLD

Worst car I have owned

After having a Q5 for 5 years prior to owning the current same model car, the same and more issues have experienced with only some fixed by replacing parts and not solving the ongoing issue.
The main issue with this car and the previous one is the ongoing Lambra probe failure.
Secondly failed adblue pipes failing twice and allowing Audi to install an update which has made a good smooth gearbox a random clunky gearbox, and refuse to fix iy or roll back the update.
Never will I buy an Audi again.

Purchased in April 2016 at Cairns Audi Centre for $88,000.00.

Arko
Arko

Comfortable ride but extremely unreliable

Purchased in October 2016.

Jusdan78
Jusdan78Victoria

Terrible Customer Service( -⭐️)

Yup, oil consumption issues. Had the test and within 100km it needed oil again... how can a company treat customers so bad and not rectify a manufacturing design fault - this was a fault in the design before I even bought the car and yet they don’t repair it. Even after the oil test the service guys forgot to top up the oil and I ran out 4km away... no help from the Audi dealership when I called they said go buy some just after I paid $700 for the two part oil tests.

Purchased in January 2011 for $84,000.00.

Carol
CarolSydney, NSW

Worst car I’ve ever owned

We bought the Audi Q5 new and as a family car. After the first 6,000kms it has been riddled with massive problems. It has cost us thousands and thousands of dollars each year. Every time we drive it - we live in fear of another dash light going on and another monumental problem. This car has been a disaster. We will never buy another Audi.

Purchased in November 2014.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Chucky
ChuckySouth East Queensland, QLD

High quality build

Using as a daily commute the vehicle is very intuitive and build quality is awesome. Being a tech-head as well as a car fanatic I have found the technical superiority over other makes astounding. Highly recommended.

Purchased in July 2019 for $110,000.00.

GRP
GRPGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible car, worse customer service from Audi

2014 Q5 owned since new. Riddled with problems over the years. Has been recalled several times. Now an airbag crash sensor has failed during an Audi service and they are refusing to fix the problem. Claiming a sensor is a consumable item

Purchased in January 2015.

We have the 2011 3.0TDI V6 Diesel, it has been amazing with nil issues, has high kms now 240,000kms now and it’s absolutely faultless, such a nice car to drive and comfortable, if you are looking to buy a Q5 the 3.0TDI is the way to go. Also holds its value well. Compared to the TFSI petrol models.

Purchased in January 2012 at Audi Dealers.

Sana Ahmed
Sana AhmedMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Simply loved this car - audi q5 2012

Amazing drive, perfect Suv for a family of 4.
Road grip and drive is nonetheless. i have 2012 quattro diesel 2.0 model. It is highly highly fuel efficient, we fill up a tank with the premium diesel only once a month. It does last forever.

Purchased in January 2019.

Find out how Audi Q5 compares to other Midsize / Medium SUVs

Defective car - repair process terrible

Purchased in June 2009 at Southern Classic Cars for $70,000.00.

Jae
JaeMelbourne

Total disaster

BadgeTFSI
Date PurchasedNov 2015
Jake
JakeSouthern Highlands, NSW

Useless technology that is dangerous......

BadgeTFSI
Engine Size2.0 TFSI
Date PurchasedJuly 2018

Bad Bad Vehicle- Mechatronic issues from Day 1

First three years and was always worried when I tried reversing- sometimes it would shoot forward. Not a good idea when parallel parking.
Audi won’t fix under warranty cause I missed one transmission oil change a few Years after first reporting the issue. If I could turn back time, I would never buy this vehicle.
Very expensive to repair and service - not sure if this is just the case in Perth, but either way - a sour taste in my mouth.

BadgeTDI Sport Edition
Engine Size2.0 TDI
Date PurchasedJan 2009
David Matley
David MatleyBurleigh Heads

Not Good enough

My wife's Q5 (diesel), showed to adBlue, This we did and immediately on starting it pored out of the engine. Took it to Frizells Audi dealer in Southport (purchased there). Was advised to not drive however couldn't look at it for 24+ hours Car only done less than 30,000 km in just under two years, but it was a warranty claim. Advised no loan car available till 4 October. I am 70 and asked how did was I expected to get home (Burleigh Heads). Was told the tram was up the road, not good enough [name removed]!!!. Second Q5.

The review said to post my purchase details however Frizells kept my log books so guess you will have to take my word for it.

BadgeTDI
Date PurchasedSept 2017
Jane
JaneMelbourne

this is a perfect car for us

The car size is perfect and just enough sitting room. It is easier to steer than Q7. And it is perfect for a family of 4-5 and with a pet! We have this car for more than 5 years apart from occasional flat tyres (may be due to driving skills) no major repairs needed to be done.

BadgeTDI
Date PurchasedJan 2014

Read more reviews - page 2

Naomi L.
Naomi L.asked
Q5

I have a Q5 2010 TFSI when taking off at lights it jerks and appears to struggle not all the times just sometimes very concerning and frightening love it but need advice please. Naomi

Gordon Morris

Yes Naomi, I have a Q5 2017 v6 diesel and the gearbox jerks a little and stutters a little when taking off from the lights also, and this has all come from a software update that Audi did. They say there is nothing wrong, but as the problem is spasmodic they will do nothing. It changes from 1st to 2nd gear way too early and this appears to be the jerky issue especially if you back off accelerator if car in front does not move off at same speed. I have mentioned this in the Audi surveys after any service or warranty issue but they just ignore you which means they want you to ignore it also. It appears to be all in the name of pollution level control and they will not reverse the upgrade on the software for the gearbox to what it was before, "no issues". VW who own Audi are hoping we just ignore it !! Terrible as my wife has a VW Tiguan and is a great car with no gearbox jerking !!

Pauline Richards
Pauline Richardsasked
Q5

We purchased Q5 Quattro diesel sports in January. I have big concerns re safety, the car auto safety brakes activate all the time out of the blue, putting me in dangerous situations. 1.As I was driving along a windy road they reacted towards a cyclist on the other side of the road 2. when I was turning right off a main road. 3. Backing out of the drive way 4. Changing lanes.
It’s happened multiple times on all the above situations.
As a result I’ve had whiplash and I’ve become very anxious because I never know when this braking system will kick in causing a major accident. I’m only grateful that my grandchildren haven’t been in the car during one of these incidents.
This is a major problem!
Pauline Richards
Adelaide SA

HPPasked
Q5

i want to buy Audi Q5 8R MY15 TFSI Quattro, let my give your opinion for it to buy or not , it would be helpful to me,

Alan
Alan

I'm not sure how the TFSI models are as I have the 3.0TDi. However, I have had a 2.0TFSI Quattro A3 that I enjoyed very much. My only gripe with Audi these days is the cost of servicing and their choice in 3rd party Extended Warranty providers. I purchased a extended warranty for mine and its not worked out so well. I also have had a few issues with my transmission. Some good things....it's comfortable, powerful enough, and has a good road presence. The lights are great at night, seats are quite supportive, and the paddles are pretty responsive. I would definitely get a Q5 over a BMW X3.

Thanks Alan

Get an answer from our members and Audi representatives

Audi Q5

Compare all 19 Audi Q5
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price $67,345$71,922$66,700
TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolDiesel
Wheels18" Alloy20" Alloy21" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Fuel Consumption7.1 L/100km7.3 L/100km7.4 L/100km5.3 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 70 L70 L70 L65 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L
Max Power185kW @ 6000rpm185kW @ 6000rpm185kW @ 6000rpm140kW @ 4200rpm
Max Torque370Nm @ 1600-4500rpm370Nm @ 1600-4500rpm370Nm @ 1600-4500rpm400Nm @ 1750-3000rpm
Country of ManufactureMexicoMexicoMexicoMexico
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2019