Terrible car, worse customer service from Audi

2014 Q5 owned since new. Riddled with problems over the years. Has been recalled several times. Now an airbag crash sensor has failed during an Audi service and they are refusing to fix the problem. Claiming a sensor is a consumable item

Purchased in January 2015.

BoughtNew
Comfort

We have the 2011 3.0TDI V6 Diesel, it has been amazing with nil issues, has high kms now 240,000kms now and it’s absolutely faultless, such a nice car to drive and comfortable, if you are looking to buy a Q5 the 3.0TDI is the way to go. Also holds its value well. Compared to the TFSI petrol models.

Purchased in January 2012 at Audi Dealers.

Noise Level
TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)
BoughtUsed
Suspension
Gear Shifting

Simply loved this car - audi q5 2012

Amazing drive, perfect Suv for a family of 4.
Road grip and drive is nonetheless. i have 2012 quattro diesel 2.0 model. It is highly highly fuel efficient, we fill up a tank with the premium diesel only once a month. It does last forever.

Purchased in January 2019.

BoughtUsed
Suspension
Comfort

Defective car - repair process terrible

Use to have one of these, a 2009 Q5 2L TFSI. After 2 years it started burning oil. Got worse and worse, after 3 years it needed a 15K engine rebuild. Audi (and everyone) by then knew the engines were faulty and burned excessive oi after a short time. Mine was using a litre of oil every 1000km. But no recall, instead they make you go through this long multi-visit oil test crap before finally fixing your car. Before that they lie to you saying that the oil usage is normal. To top it off, even after the engine was rebuild, when I looked at trading it in at a VW dealer later that dealer said the car was worth less due to oil burning problem, even after the engine rebuilt. The engine problem was bad enough. The dishonesty about it even worse. We also had issues with a Audi A3 we bought when the transmission blew in the first year. Never will touch this brand again, Have Mercedes now and no quality problems there.

Purchased in June 2009 at Southern Classic Cars for $70,000.00.

BoughtNew

Total disaster

Long story short, do not buy early models of Q5 TFSI I’m still skeptical about later models but my 2010 Q5 was the most terrible experience in my whole life
Had a plenty of problems from this car and I got eventually it refunded
I don’t bother to say too much things from my experience but just one thing I really need to let people know is oil consumption problem. Some people may already know that many of Audi models have issues in regards to excessive oil burning
Well.. with my Q5 I had to top up the engine oil every 250km-300km which means I have to buy 1litre engine oil and pour it to the engine every 5 or 6days I know that’s unbelievable but I’m not exaggerating the story
I went to a dealership more than 7 times to fix this problem but they finally gave up and refunded my money thank god that I had been still covered by statutory warranty for 3 months at that time otherwise things could’ve gone quite nasty

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Useless technology that is dangerous......

2017 Q5 TFSI
AEB - Autonomous emergency braking - this car slams on the brakes all the time for no reason, entering and exiting our garage it slams on the brakes!, reversing past the letterbox - slams on the brakes!
My wife was coming around a residential 90 degree corner and there was a cyclist waiting on the corner to cross the road - it slammed on the brakes!
The driver behind almost ran up the back of the car!
Safety!!! - What a joke, they shouldn't even be allowed to sell these things they are so dangerous.
The car never stops beeping, even after turning off every setting I can find - it beeps so much that you learn to just tune it out which means it now defeats the purpose for which it was intended.
After 3 months of ownership we are looking to sell and go back to Japanese cars, the 3 German cars we currently own (Merc, Audi and VW) are all having one problem after the other - absolute nightmares to own - don't believe all the hype you read about prestige and luxury - they are unreliable garbage and the dealerships are not one bit interested in resolving anything.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Bad Bad Vehicle- Mechatronic issues from Day 1

First three years and was always worried when I tried reversing- sometimes it would shoot forward. Not a good idea when parallel parking.
Audi won’t fix under warranty cause I missed one transmission oil change a few Years after first reporting the issue. If I could turn back time, I would never buy this vehicle.
Very expensive to repair and service - not sure if this is just the case in Perth, but either way - a sour taste in my mouth.

Date PurchasedJan 2009

Not Good enough

My wife's Q5 (diesel), showed to adBlue, This we did and immediately on starting it pored out of the engine. Took it to Frizells Audi dealer in Southport (purchased there). Was advised to not drive however couldn't look at it for 24+ hours Car only done less than 30,000 km in just under two years, but it was a warranty claim. Advised no loan car available till 4 October. I am 70 and asked how did was I expected to get home (Burleigh Heads). Was told the tram was up the road, not good enough [name removed]!!!. Second Q5.

The review said to post my purchase details however Frizells kept my log books so guess you will have to take my word for it.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

this is a perfect car for us

The car size is perfect and just enough sitting room. It is easier to steer than Q7. And it is perfect for a family of 4-5 and with a pet! We have this car for more than 5 years apart from occasional flat tyres (may be due to driving skills) no major repairs needed to be done.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Good SUV for family but I miss my Mercedes Benz C-Class for quality

I definitely prefer the fit and finish of the Mercedes Benz C-Class I had previously. Shame it started falling apart which I expect will happen to the Q5 based on my friends' experiences. The 2.0 TDI doesn't quite have the power or responsiveness I need to feel safe. Get the bigger engine! It also feels less airtight with notable road noise and excessive windscreen condensation. Otherwise it's running well, 15 months in. No complaints about the AUDI service centre which is the best I've experienced.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Good amount of grunt and luxury but not without some issues

Driving is great, I've got the 3.0TDi version. It's got more than enough grunt to make smooth transitions onto the highway. The interior is great...comfortable seats, good A/C, decent audio...but then there are some drawbacks. I think the transmission is on its way out, the EGR has been replaced and still has troubles, and some other filter is pretty bad. I have spent a few k's on fixing this issues while my Honda has had 0 issues since I purchased it. This is my third Audi and I must say...I'm not as impressed with it as my first two.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Piece of crap

I have owned my audi 3 years in that time i have replaced the engine due to failing oil compression tests 11k then 1 year later replaced transmission 6k now apparently a year later have to replace the engine yet again. Audi only reply due to the service history not being followed by the original owner they have voided any wrong doing. However in USA where the same issue occured a class action forced audi to replace the engine at their expense. I have 150k on the clock the car is serviced at regular intervals.

Drive absolutely perfect but is a ticking time bomb of regret. I recommend that KIA is half the vale and unfathomable reliabilty comparred to the expensive crap bag that i thought would be a dream car and i wanted yo have something of value instead cost me my kob and relationship due to the ubsurmountable financial pressure it put upon myself.

If anyone wants to buy it as a skip bin give me a call.

Or if you have had the same issue join my facebook page
Audi Oil Consumption issue and read through the other testimonials in which others have shared a similar experience.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Too many issues for a luxury car

Originally I loved my Audi Q5. Good amount of room. Good power. Nice and comfortable. However, I have just come out of my 3 year warranty and I didn't expect to have these many issues with a luxury car (I had a lexus previously with no dramas in 3 years).

Doing some googling, it also seems these issues are not uncommon.
-rattling sunroof
-defective adaptive light module
-paint peeling from front bumper

I understand issues come about, but the amount of times I have been back to the dealer getting these things resolved has been ridiculous (maybe I should be writing a review on them....). They did EVERTYTHING to try and avoid fixing the issues. And the paint peeling off the bumper, I was told "Audi won't even consider that under warranty." Thanks Audi, you've just confirmed my next car purchase WON'T be another Audi

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Air conditioning is a dissapointment

Bought this car in Jan 2014 with high expectations. Not happy with the air conditioning since day 1. Brought it back to the showroom few times and were advise that there's nothing wrong with the AC. Fan noise is loud but not much air coming out from it. It does blow cold air but I feel like there's something blocking the air so the performance is not maximum.

Sun visor clip snapped on the 3rd year. First time experiencing this, had much older car and never snapped the sun visor clip.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Expensive junk

This car has only done 140000 klm uses oil, the transmission just packed up at a cost of $9500 to fix ,this problem was recalled in USA and China, but not in Australia.Just got car back and the drive belt broke, replaced it now car won't run engine management system light flashing, need to get car towed to be repaired, we now hate this car and will be selling it when it's fixed. Will never buy another Audi again, we have learned a very expensive lesson to buy a car with less features, things to go wrong.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Dont buy Audi - worst customer service | useless audi service

My Audi 2011 has had several significant problems in recent time. Firstly the megatronic unit on the transmission failed at approximately 60,000Km. repairs to this were relatively straight forward with a repair bill of approximately $3,000. Then transmission light started coming and I took to sudi 3 times, they charged me everytime but were not able to fix the issue. Local mechanic charged be 120$ and fixed the issue which Audi service center did not by charging 4000$
Even after the replacement of PCB unit of transmission CAR is not working well, it rolls backward while standing on red light . I took it back to audi service and I was adviced to use a handbrake everytime I stop at the red light so that car should not roll back.

Date PurchasedJun 2011

Comfortable & pleasant drive,

Compared to the previous AUDI models I have experienced (& admittedly they all constantly offered more than i've expected), the Q5 is a completely new excitement. I have had it since 2015, though compared to A4 the acceleration is not as quick but the ease and comfort of driving is just irreplaceable.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

One of the most powerful SUV.

I am still driving it now...it broke an engine last December...on 147 558 km.
Thanks to extended warranty that covered for R36.000
And i had to add only R23.000.
And the car was back to road again.
Replacement of engine...after all is done...re registration of new engine number is very important...
Vin number and engine number should match...
Now i am a happy chap again...
Speed...power...oil and fuel consumption still the same.
2010 Audi Q5...what a machine..

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Very happy with the Q5

Just bought a Q5 to replace my VW Touareg. I have the 2.0 diesel Quattro. Great value for money, especially as I bought it in a run-out sale. The car is very comfortable and well appointed. It might not be the fastest thing off from a standing start (especially when the stop/go function is operating), but once it gets wound up, it's brilliant - smooth ride and very confident feel in corners. Audi don't make claims that the car is an off-roader, but I didn't need that capability. Instead I wanted something that was sure footer and economical for some long country roads.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedApr 2017

Very nice idea but some fundamentally flawed details that need fixing

This was a replacement for a Lexus RX350, and it fitted the requirements as being just as comfortable while being just a bit easier to park and using about half the fuel. We decided on the 3 liter turbo diesel as giving the best combination of performance and low running costs.
Most of the time the car was great, and the very low fuel consumption was fantastic, giving nearly 1000 km between refuel stops.
There were however several issues that made it less than perfect.
1. The start-stop operation. Generally the diesel is quiet and vibration free, but there is a second or two of truck noise when it starts up. Which is acceptable except that the computer turns the motor off at every stoplight and halt in the traffic. So you get that truck noise all the time, despite paying $80k for a luxury car. You can't turn the start-stop off, you can only temporarily halt it. It will reset to start-stop every time you get in the car.
2. Start-stop also makes the car slower to get away from a start. Maybe less than a second, but with Sydney having some traffic lights that are only green for 10 seconds that gets you the horn from the car behind.
3. With the fancy DSG gearbox the car is probably faster round a racetrack, but it can roll backwards doing a hill start. Which is more important for a luxury car? THEN, the computer sees you are rolling backwards, it panics, and disables the engine start-stop so you keep rolling backwards even with your foot on the accelerator. Until you hit the car behind. Audi said this was "normal".

Test driving the next model, most of these problems have been fixed. So clearly Audi really didn't think it was OK.

Date PurchasedOct 2012

We purchased Q5 Quattro diesel sports in January. I have big concerns re safety, the car auto safety brakes activate all the time out of the blue, putting me in dangerous situations. 1.As I was driving along a windy road they reacted towards a cyclist on the other side of the road 2. when I was turning right off a main road. 3. Backing out of the drive way 4. Changing lanes. It’s happened multiple times on all the above situations. As a result I’ve had whiplash and I’ve become very anxious because I never know when this braking system will kick in causing a major accident. I’m only grateful that my grandchildren haven’t been in the car during one of these incidents. This is a major problem! Pauline Richards Adelaide SA

i want to buy Audi Q5 8R MY15 TFSI Quattro, let my give your opinion for it to buy or not , it would be helpful to me, Thanks
I'm not sure how the TFSI models are as I have the 3.0TDi. However, I have had a 2.0TFSI Quattro A3 that I enjoyed very much. My only gripe with Audi these days is the cost of servicing and their choice in 3rd party Extended Warranty providers. I purchased a extended warranty for mine and its not worked out so well. I also have had a few issues with my transmission. Some good things....it's comfortable, powerful enough, and has a good road presence. The lights are great at night, seats are quite supportive, and the paddles are pretty responsive. I would definitely get a Q5 over a BMW X3.Thanks Alan

HI, I bought Audi Q5 TDI 3.0 L with 175k km, Anybody can advise me what I should repair or what problem I may face with car high km like mine. And how much i should cost? Thanks

Q5 FY 45 TFSI designQ5 FY 45 TFSI sportQ5 FY 45 TFSI sport Black EditionQ5 FY 40 TDI designQ5 FY 40 TDI sportQ5 FY 50 TDI sportQ5 FY 50 TDI sport Black EditionQ5 FY TDI S line black editionQ5 FY TFSI S line black editionQ5 FY TFSI sportQ5 FY TDI sportQ5 FY TDI designQ5 8R.I TFSIQ5 8R.I TDIQ5 8R.I FSIQ5 8R.II TDIQ5 8R.II TFSIQ5 8R.II TDI Sport EditionQ5 8R.II TFSI Sport Edition
Starting Price $67,345$71,922$66,700$71,500$82,582
TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)AutomaticAutomaticDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)AutomaticDual-Clutch (DCT)Automatic
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselPetrolPetrolDieselPetrolDieselPetrolDieselPetrolDieselPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy20" Alloy21" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy21" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars
Doors5555555555555555555
Seats5555555555555555555
Fuel Consumption7.1L/100km7.3L/100km7.4L/100km5.3L/100km5.3L/100km6.3L/100km6.5L/100km5.5L/100km7.3L/100km7.3L/100km5.3L/100km8.5L/100km9.3L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 70 L70 L70 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L10 L70 L65 L65 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L6 Cylinder, 3.0L6 Cylinder, 3.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L6 Cylinder, 3.2L
Max Power185kW@6000rpm185kW@6000rpm185kW@6000rpm140kW@4200rpm140kW@4200rpm210kW@4000rpm210kW@4000rpm140kW@4200rpm185kW@6000rpm185kW@6000rpm140kW@4200rpm155kW@6000rpm199kW@65000rpm
Max Torque370Nm@1600-4500rpm370Nm@1600-4500rpm370Nm@1600-4500rpm400Nm@1750-3000rpm400Nm@1750-3000rpm620Nm@1500-3000rpm620Nm@1500-3000rpm400Nm@1750-3000rpm370Nm@1600-4500rpm370Nm@1600-4500rpm400Nm@1750-3000rpm350Nm@1500-4200rpm330Nm@3000-5000rpm
Country of ManufactureMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoMexicoGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyGermany
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure Monitor
Extra Features Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice ControlAutomatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice ControlAutomatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice ControlAutomatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice ControlAutomatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heated Seats, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice ControlAutomatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice Control
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2019Jan 2019Jan 2018Jan 2018Jun 2017Jun 2017Jun 2017Jun 2017Jun 2017Mar 2009Mar 2009Mar 2009Dec 2012Dec 2012Jan 2015Jan 2015
Discontinuation dateDec 2017Dec 2017Dec 2018Dec 2018Dec 2018Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Dec 2016Dec 2016Dec 2016Dec 2016
Replaced byAudi Q5 8R.IIAudi Q5 8R.IIAudi Q5 8R.II