Renault Koleos

Not happy

Just done 30'000kms and car needs front brake rotors, again! First set replaced at circa 15'000 kms under warranty but not without a fight, now it's round 2. Has anyone else experienced this? The car is my wife's daily driver so it's driven quite conservatively.

Purchased in May 2017.

Still looks good and runs well

I do alot highway and mountain roads and small city trips in between. I have already racked up 172,000 km. I have always had it serviced by trained Renault mechanics. I have two minor warranty issues, tailgate lock and wiper motor. All were fixed with no fuss. My only dilemma is how much I paid for the top model vs depreciation. As the car is so good and reliable I am going to run it for a lot longer than I have other cars. I usually get rid of them 6 months before warranty ends but the bells and whistles on this car will keep me satisfied for a bit longer. I have never been happier to keep a car so long and the fuel average after all this time is still sitting on 7.2!

Purchased in June 2013 for $46,500.00.

TransmissionSemi-Automatic
Comfort

Promised so much,delivered so little

Bought this 2016 Koleos new in 2017.
We have had ongoing issues with the dash and centre console going black.Had it back to McCarrolls Newcastle and they had no idea at all after 4 occasions.Took it back to Peter Warren Warwick Farm and computers were re-set but since then (June 2018) have had issues with centre console twice. Today,after 41,000 k’s have had to have the front rotors and pads replaced.Only ever had to replace brake rotors on a car once before and that was after a shonky deal from a shonky dealer on a Holden Crappydore.
I’m 71 and my wife 70 is the regular driver so it’s fair to say that our hooning days are well behind us.
Never , ever, had to replace brakes at such low kilometres but the brake repairer said that they have thousands of dollars tied up in rotors and pads for European cars due to early brake wear out in European cars

Purchased in June 2017 at Peter Warren Automotive for $30,500.00.

Stay away.

I bought a brand new Koleos in2017. It now has 40,000 kms and was told today at service that my brakes are 99% worn and I need new brakes and disks (costing $800). The drivers seat is wearing out as is the shift knob. My wife drives the car to work and to drop off the kids it’s not a race car

Purchased in March 2017.

Unusual

I usually use the 2016 Renult Koleos as a daily family car. Purchased in 2017 and lasted me up to the start of 2019. The car was running smoothly until mid 2018, when the key card was no longer receptive from distance; leaving me to manually insert the key to start up. Although it was odd I thought nothing of it as the car worked the same. However 2019 was not too fun, the car started jumping internally and the dashboard lights would flash randomly, with the indicators too. the card became no longer receptive until 2-10 minutes of inserting the key into the start slot different directions just to try and start the car. As well as resulting to jump starting the car :(. On a 37 degree day, the car just refused to flat out start, no sign of ignition lights even with jumpstarting. So I called the insurance company to come help out. One of their guys found no issue with the battery and found the key was the issue, so we got it towed to the nearest Renault car dealership and sought for service. 3 days later I was contacted by the Renault services and was informed something inside the car has flat out just destructed and are still looking to find out what it is. Long story short I have to get a new car.

Purchased in September 2017.

BoughtUsed
Comfort

Good for 5 years till warranty last , now falling apart like a house of cards .

The car was good for 5 years but these are the problems faced in last 1 year and Renault should be ashamed of themselves

1) Break light switch sensor not working . Car wouldn’t start or move . End result lot of headache .

2) Air con stopped working due to faulty heater resistor. Went to three different specialist to figure out the issue . End result lot of time and money wastage

3) extreme vibration in the car when accelerating - needed drive shaft replacement . End result completely lost trust in Renault

4 A old problem has resurfaced again- when going uphill or accelerating hard some clunky noise from the engine .

God save the Renault and the other owners like myself .

Purchased in August 2012.

BoughtUsed

Active Braking Disconnected

We don't use this car every day, only done 3000km,
Everytime I drive the car message comes up Active Braking disconnected I took it to village motor northlakes 5 times, first time they told me there was a leaf between the senor I drove for 500m message come up took back to village motor they told me because of the dust I drove for 100m message came up again I took back they told me radar is faulty and its because of dushboard camera, message is not coming up however I don't trust village motor because the reasons they told me was lie

Purchased in August 2018.

2018 intense 4wd desiel

Honestly this car as a 4wd labeled vechile is seriously underrated and deserves a bit more credit, I have had this car offroad a few times both dirt and sand, while ground clearance isnt all that much, with a couple of modifications which iv done I have the same ground clearance as the proper 4x4's , the 4wd system works incredibly well in the sand and steep dirt inclines iv never been stuck in the sand in it including going onto sand islands, even pulled out a prado out of a bog down to the diffs which amazed me , the only issue I have is fuel consumption but mainly because of the larger offroad tyres I have put on it, I'm st average of around 9.2l per 100kms however even before on the stock tyres I still was at best of 8.5 city driving and 7.6 out on the highway , but that's the only thing I can pick on, the interior gives off a awsome luxery feel and is a absolute pleasure to drive day in and day out and honestly makes you want to drive it more and more, I havent came across any problems with the cvt as of yet iv done 30k kms on it so far and still working like it's new, the sound system is amazing and cant forget about the heated and ventilated seats absolute heaven especially on them hot days , no more back/bum sweating on leather seats! The cool breeze feels different but its rather relaxing , plenty of room in the car, a nice upgrade on the interior I reckon is if they put screens in the headrests of the driver and passenger seats for the kids entertainment on trips. Otherwise top car , if your seriously not sure go and test drive one you wont be disappointed

Purchased in March 2018.

Comfort

Good car needs some improvement

Car is good for the price, no doubt. Some improvements to consider 1. Setas can be softer, 2. Side views of other vehicles are not good especially if you at a roundabout.

Purchased in November 2016.

Superb Car

Extremely happy with the Koleas, Zen 2017. Only fault is the pho-leather seats in Summer. Lambswool seat covers will fix. The Turning circle is not as good as Rav 4. However, its a great vehicle, with all the gadgets needed. Would highly recommend. French Design, Japanese engineering, Korean built. Welcome to the 21 st century.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Great Vehicle EXCEPT our dealer promised update to Apple /Android Auto on purchase, still waiting!!

Could not be happier with my 2017 Intens.
Purchased in September 2017
However, at time of purchase, we were told by the salesman at Metro Renault that Apple Play & Android Auto software feature (which we don't have) was to be updated as soon as Renault released it.
After numerous phone calls requesting the update, we've been told that there isn't an update for our model.
** Very disappointed with Metro Renault making promises at the time of purchase and not keeping their word**

We'll soon make another phone call to check on the availability of an update to equip our Renault koleos with Apple Play/Android Auto and if we get the same answer, we'll be referring this matter to Renault regarding Metro Renault unkept promise.

Metro Renault can contact us if they wish. They've got details of the sale and phone calls on their books.

Otherwise GREAT Vehicle and very happy after nearly a year and a half.

M

BadgeIntens
Date PurchasedSep 2017

Repeated failures

We have owned a Renault Koleos from new and it has been nothing but problems. The sun visors have failed twice, the chrome on the door handles is peeling and cutting our hands. The release on the tailgate has failed and can't be opened but the main problem is the air conditioning controller. The controller is electronic, buried under the dash and not subject to wear and tear. This unit, which multiple experts have indicated should not fail in the life of the vehicle, has now failed twice in less than 2 years. The cost of the part is in excess of $1,500 and I now have no confidence that the part will last a reasonable time if replaced. Not having air conditioning is not an option in an Australian summer. My wife loves her Koleos but even she has said she will never buy another one.

BadgeSport Way
Date PurchasedOct 2010
DriveAWD

So far so good

*more car for your $$$
*Drives like a sedan, very little body roll compared to CX5
*Engine and ride very smooth
*Engine can be a little loud when pushed hard, not as loud as CX5
*Infotainment R Link system can take a while to get use to but still good
*Space inside is fantastic, better than 5 seater competitors
*Looks better than most SUVs i think
*7.4 Ltr per 100, awesome!
*So much more safety kit for the money compared to competitors and price
*Center cup holders are a bit of an issue, not a good size
*Slowish off the mark, and in general in ECO mode, makes sense
*Hills i find are no problem for this vehicle, plenty of go...
*Stereo great
*Yes, car locks quickly if you have the key on you and you get out of the car to get something from another door
*I do love the car, its such a cruzer. Not a racer. You want to spend time in it. I do worry about the CVT, As the Nissan reviews arent good. So time will tell. Ive heard aslong as you put the right Oil in the CVT and have it serviced there shouldnt be any issues. 5 yr, unlimited kilometer warranty.
UPDATE>10,000K's, fuel usage dropped to 7.1L/100, still loving the car, use to the CVT now, honestly, I think the car is great. Goes great, feels great. No issues after 10,000K's, we have taken it on heaps of long drives all over NSW, love being in it. Those cup holders are still annoying.

Purchased in September 2018 for $34,600.00.

Spacious, reliable

I have this car for my family and it does a great job. We upgraded from a Honda CRV and we immediately noticed that we have lots more room and space in the car. The boot was comparatively large and we could fit much more groceries in there, more items when travelling etc.

BadgeBose Premium
Date PurchasedJul 2015

Our 3rd Renault Diesel vehicle is a Koleos

Our Koleos Privilege 4 x 4 with Renault Diesel engine and conventional 6 speed automatic transmission, is mated to Nissan 4wd smarts and multi link rear suspension. Built in South Korea at the Samsung Factory it truly is multi national.

Living in Western Victoria, half way between Melbourne & Adelaide, Diesel is the preferred fuel for distance.

Easy to get in and out of, (our main consideration after 50+ years driving) the rear seats fold flat for loading larger items. Electric leather drivers seat is fully adjustable, the electric parking brake is in my opinion the best advance in twenty years as its all automatic + manual when you need it, - love it!
Rear privacy glass in the back, sunroof, excellent climate control air conditioner, HID Bi-Xenon headlights are superb for country driving at night.

We have just had our 75k service without any reliability issues, only scheduled services. Original Continental tyres lasted to 46k, now running Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres which will last far longer & feel very good on the road.
My only complaint is the speedo calibration, its too small to see, so an after-market 'Polaris' HUD speed control beams up the digital speed onto the bottom of the windscreen. A bonus is it also alerts you to fixed position speed cameras as you drive. It simply plugs into the cigarette lighter base.
Full size spare road wheel (on steel wheel unfortunately) almost completes the picture. The rear camera has excellent definition with guidance lines . Great visibility all round makes parallel parking a cinch.
So, our last 3 x Renaults, Laguna, Latitude & Koleos have all had the excellent Renault Dci Diesel engine, shame the new car has gone to Nissan propulsion & CVT in my opinion. (most probably the bean counters at work)

Ken H. Nhill Vic.

BadgePrivilege
Date PurchasedSep 2014

Nice family SUV - Zen 4x2

My first SUV, it has got a lot of features for affordable price. Renault's low finance offer has sweetened the deal. Never owned a French car, but very impressed by the Koleos. The Infotainment system and Android Auto are easy to use; a lot of space and legroom compared to others. Great overall look. Comfortable enough for long drive. Would highly recommend to anyone shopping around for comfy and safe family vehicle.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Trouble from Day 1

I bought this car and from day 1 I knew something wasn't right when I drove it out of the showroom. The car would shake/vibrate when ever you had the car in idle (e.g waiting at the traffic lights), the response I got from the dealership was that it was a known issue and a software fix would come to stop the car from acting like this when I complained a day after receiving the car.

After many months of complaints, taking my car in to be looked at; leaving it for days with Renault Australia and taking the matter formally,I was advised that this is actual "normal operation" and to reduce vibration I can drive with the air-conditioner on which actually lifts the engine speed to stop the car from vibrating/shaking. Obviously this is disappointing that a brand new car requires the air-conditioner on 24/7 to stop the car from shaking.To this day I am stuck with the issue, with no way to make the car stop doing it. To give you an indication of this vibration it makes my phone shake around in its holder, something you would expect from a 20 year old car, so its not pleasant to drive. I was advised by Renault that this is "normal operation" so one can expect that all the Koleos cars operate in a similar manner if this is normal.

I loved the car and if it wasn't for this issue I would recommend it to everyone, but in my opinion it would be the last vehicle I would ever buy again.

Other issues experienced with the car:
1. breaks making funny noises every time they are pressed
2. vibration at 80kms an hour through the steering wheel
3. faulty media unit, which was replaced, now this one has other issues and dead pixels.
4. rattles in the cabin and front passenger seat

Date PurchasedAug 2017

200 klms and problems not available no catalogs for parts kingswood renault service

fault message came on check start stop took the car to renault service seat sensor faulty code came up they could not work out why seat message was on took back vehicle and rebooked as they were to busy to work out the problem brought the vehicle back when they organised renault techs they swapped seats with another vehicle problem went away they had no parts or catalogs for parts several weeks passed got phone call saying they located
a sensor was located took car back to find out the part did not fit they told me they would call when the part appeared i have owned the vehicle for three months whats next dissapointed

Badgebad
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Love our new car - Zen 4*2

This is our first car. Everything is good and the price is really nice. It includes all basic features that we might use. It is very good value for money. We made a wise decision on it. We bought it at the end of financial year, so got some discount. Overall is good.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Car is good but minor issues keeps giving trouble.

Beautiful and comfortable car. Smooth drive. But...
Since I bought my Koleos bose 2014, so many minor issues continuesly giving me big trouble.
GPS navigation and voice control function issue which got fixed by service centre but voice command stopped responsing correctly. Technician tried to fix it but He coulden't so he forcefully convience me that it would stay like that and After 3 year, it's still like that. After few months, reverse camera stopped working which again drove me crazy as I had to drive back again to renault centre which is atleast 20+ kms from my home and finally got fixed after 2 visit and several hours of waiting. After that problem, driver side door handle electric motor part(or something) broken down from inside so coulden't open door from inside. I had to make 2 visits to get it fixed. In first visit they identified the problem and asked me to come after 3 to 4 weeks once parts arrive. On second visit, I had to put my car for more than 4 to 5 hours and they even hadn't provide me free loan car. After few months, driverside door started bouncing back. Again had to get hassle and parts had to replaced.
Just last year, Left side window glass also started bouncing back and keep happening for long time and renault service guys just tried to resets and keeps sending me back and still I have that problem in my car. I hope they will fix this issue before my warranty expires(which is next year 2019).
I would say, above issue got fixed as car was under warranty and I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket execpt spending time and money on petrol driving there for so many times.
Overall I am happy with smooth car with loaded features but very very very disappointed with poor built and poor customer service.

BadgeBose
Date PurchasedSep 2015

Hi I have a Koleos 09 just wondering about when do I replace timing belt/chain which is it belt or chain thanks

Hi guys I have a 2009 renault koleos 2.0l Diesel.I've had the clutch replaced but since then it's randomly cutting out with an exhaust emission on display. Driving fast and slow it cuts out. If it idles it will idle fine for a while then give a rough idle and go dead it won't start after it cuts out but I found if I disconnect the computer box it will start. Any help?
Sounds like when someone replaced the clutch they did not reattach the sensor wire to the oxygen sensorThank you any idea where I can I find it google doesn't show much on Renault koleos.

All of a sudden the volume control has stopped working in the radio. Can't turn up or down only mute. Neither the volume knob below main screen or buttons by steering wheel will work? Can't find anything about this in manual either.

HZG Intens 4WD DieselHZG Intens 4WD PetrolHZG Intens FWD PetrolHZG LifeHZG S-EditionHZG ZenKoleos H45HZG Initiale
Starting Price $47,990$47,990$45,870$30,990$44,990$37,990$45,490
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy17" Alloy19" Alloy18" Alloy19" Alloy
Doors5555555
Seats5555555
Fuel Consumption6.1L/100km8.3L/100km8.1L/100km8.1L/100km8.3L/100km8.3L/100km8.3L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L
Max Power130kW @ 3750rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm126kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque380Nm @ 2000rpm226NM @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm226Nm @ 4400rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera and Seat Belt RemindersABS (Antilock Braking System), AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Tyre Pressure Monitor
Extra Features Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heated Seats, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control
Ground Clearance210 mm210 mm210 mm210 mm210 mm210 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,650 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2008Jan 2017