• Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (3)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (9)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (7) · No (13)

RonHunter Region, NSW

Way off the mark!

Switched to Australian unity using comparethemarket.com.au as they were slightly cheaper than the current one i had, but can only describe the service as terrible! Received no policy documents, no cards, couldn't access my online account which always seemed to have an "IT ticket" raised against it. Was told numerous times they would send me emails and I never received them. Noone seems to want to genuinely help. Was just a worthless hassle from the start!.

Ron

Thanks I've sent an email but have cancelled my membership yesterday. If you can offer a decent deal with no hassle then perhaps, but i don't expect a return to my email as it seems that noone from Australian unity knows how to send one.

FranSouthwest, VIC

Worst customer service EVER experienced when trying to cancel policy (because of poor customer service)

Really

ReallySouth East Queensland, QLD

No expiry date noted anyway, Receive an Update of premium 2 days prior to expiry, No Tax Invoice.

I had a look on their system.
It says paid until 25/4/2021 but the policy actually expires 20/04/2021. So potentially I could have gone without insurance for 5 days.
I did not receive a Tax invoice.
I did receive a Health Cover update (not ATO compliant) on the 18/4/2021. So only receiving the new premium amount, 2 days before it expires. So no time to shop it around. Surely notifying me of this years premium, 2 days prior to expiry date is a beach of some ruling.

Health Insurance

Find out how Australian Unity Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Dan

DanPerth, WA

On hold

I was on hold for 60 minutes then cut off, the next day I waited 45 minutes, this was very annoying and was not considering my valuable time in the least.

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Dan, thanks for sharing your feedback and I'm sorry you were on hold for so long. If you could please email your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au we'll follow up. Thanks, Cat.

Frances

FrancesSouth East Queensland, QLD

My exsperience on trying to opt out of membership and get refund

Was going to change to this company decided not too as it didn’t work out as well on the extras for us and stay with the company we had been with for years, so we used the cooling off period to opt out ,meanwhile they took two payments, we have now been waiting 2 weeks for them to return the money to our account ,I have phoned them twice and still waiting .not impressed with this company ,if it takes this long to cancel a policy and refund your money what chaos would we have gone through if we made a claim .

Welcometo2021AU

Welcometo2021AUGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Update your call centre tech

I was trying to add another person to my policy - was on hold for 30min then the call cut off and I had to call back - it's been over an hour and I'm still on hold! Not once was I asked to leave my number for a call back nor given an indication of the wait time.

Bushy

BushySydney, NSW

This company has no idea about service stay away

Kath

Kath Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic dental service

rv

rvSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible customer service

Do not go to this company. The customer service is absolutely terrible. I was hung up on today by [Name Removed]..... yes you read right. I was a bit terse because a problem had gone unresolved since October 2020, however I was NOT swearing which I know is a hanging up offence. This was after spending 35 minutes on the phone. Terrible terrible service, just don’t go there.

subodh v.

subodh v.South East Queensland, QLD

Good at rejecting claims !

My Mother was diagnosed with High Grade Type B Lymphoma Cancer. She was on a visitor visa and our claim was rejected on the ground of pre-existing condition though doctor had mentioned it isn't possible for a High Grade Lymphoma patient to survive for a period of 8 months with it. It just a scam in the name of Visitor cover which is a pre-requisite to enter Australia. I will never suggest anyone to travel here after this nightmarish experience

Brendon

BrendonSouthwest, VIC

COVID19 affected

So like many I'v been affected by COVID having to take a cut in pay to ensure everyone in our company has a job. This being said I'v had to put on hold my policy over the past six months. Today I requested to put it on hold a further 3 months as we have been told we will only go back to full pay in the new year. When I called I was told that AU will need to cancel the policy as I can only put it on hold for six months. So stupid that in this tough environment you will burn a customer who has paid on time for years and is going through tough times over a couple of months. Pathetic

John

JohnSydney, NSW

Misleading No Gap Dental Service - What A Lie!

Australian Unity advertised on their website: "Australian Unity's No Gap Dental service offers members with eligible cover preventative dental treatment at no out-of pocket cost (up to your yearly limit)."

I visited Randwick Dental, which is part of their No Gap Dental Network, for cleaning and had to pay $172 out of $288 when my annual limit is $500. This is an outright lie and deceptive business advertising.

I was with Bupa before and when Bupa says no gap dental, it literally means no gap dental and I paid $0!

This is terrible and unacceptable Australian Unity. That is not how Australians do business.

Ale

Australian DisUnity!!! Premium increase better justified being spent on improving the customer service team

Ale

Hi Cat thanks for your reply. Appreciate your concern. It doesn’t matter now have taken my services elsewhere.

Have a nice day.

llanito

Unable to get any meaningful information on how to claim for expenses.

Trying to claim for a hospital cover. After decades of them taking premiums - no problem with that, trying to get information about how to claim somehow is not available on their web site. Booking a call for a specific time to discuss is not honoured. Makes me wonder if there is a specific policy to delay claims as much as possible.

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Ilanito, I'm sorry to hear it's been a struggle to get information about how to claim. If you could please email your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au I'll follow up on your enquiry and come back to you. Thanks, Cat.

Rebecca

RebeccaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible customer service

I called up to cancel my policy 3 weeks ago. I had been waiting 3 weeks for a refund, never told I would be receiving a cheque until I called up for the third time. When I received the cheque I went to deposit it at my post office only to be told it cannot be deposited as it didn’t have my full name on it. What a waste of time. Fast to take your money but a hassle to get a refund. Would not deal with them again.

Philip R.

Philip R.

Solutions team unresponsive

Needed to call them three times in one day for simple account reactivation which was promised but not delivered , on hold 40 mins each time . solutions team unable to resolve.. ok if you have a few hours to waste everytime you need to deal with them.

Claim MadeYes
Terri H.

Terri H.

Are they only playing at being a health fund

Dm219

Dm219Sydney, NSW

No covid compassion after 15 years of being a client

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Dm219, I'm really sorry to hear about the impact that COVID-19 has had on your finances. If you could please send your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au we'd be keen to get in touch with you. Thanks, Cat.

Brooke M.South East Queensland, QLD

Cancelled on me without notice

I was phoned by Australian Unity to update my bank details. Completed this and then got a email saying they had cancelled my insurance. No request and no notice! Next minute I just get an email saying your insurance is cancelled. Brand new customer just signing up.

Brooke M.

Hi cat, I’ve done that a couple of times already with no response so I’ll proceed with the cancellation and go somewhere else.

Refuse to pay and Incompetent

I have been with Australian unity for 18 years. Rarely have I had to use health insurance. I tried to claim for a procedure and they have paid a total of $171.20. This is after I was told on 2 separate occasions l would be covered prior to the procedure. I have spoken to 3 different representatives today and been given 3 different amounts they have supposedly paid. Been given 3 different reasons why and told the whole lot has already been paid. They even tried to say they paid the medicare schedule fee. Totally incompetent. Then tried to bribe me with a $150 visa card to stay with them. NOPE!! I'm out.

sharon h.

sharon h.asked

My husband had been with you for a very long time, never claimed and now have heard on the news that he could possibly be entitled to receive some money back. Is this true

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Sharon, thanks for the question. Could you please send the link to the news article to me at CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au so I can look into this and get back to you? Thanks, Cat.

JAX

JAXasked

Please explain! If I have, say 6, identical procedures at the same time on my lower back but in different places (treating chronic nerve damage) why do you only cover the cost of ONE NOT SIX procedures, leaving me $500 + out of pocket? Does that mean - if I break both my legs in the identical position as a result of a (say) car accident, you only pay for the treatment/repair of ONE leg?

Hi Jax
Thanks for the question, I'd like some further details so I can look into this for you. Please reach out to us at customerservice@australianunity.com.au or 13 29 39 so we can follow up.
Cat

Lola

Lolaasked

I want to purchase health insurance for my 74 year old healthy father coming to visit us ( 600 visa), I wonder if Australian unity will cover major emergencies that are unpredictable like a car accident or fracture or a heart attack?
Lola

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Lola, thanks for the question.
We offer a range of covers for overseas visitors and we can include things such as heart conditions and bone fractures.
To find out which level of cover would best suit your father, please call us on 13 29 39.
Cat

See all Australian Unity Health Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and Australian Unity Health Insurance representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance