Australian Unity Health Insurance

See the Best Health Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Very poor customer service

I got confusing answers from different phone support personnel about what my insurance covers for dental surgery. When I finally decided to terminate my account and change my insurer, they made me feel so uncomfortable. Its only when I told them, that I am distressed and I do understand what I am doing because I work in healthcare is when he started to do what I have been asking him to- terminate the account. No one cared to ask how can they help me. Overall, caused lots of frustration, received so much inconsistent advice and unprofessional staff.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Under 30No

Wazza

WazzaPerth, WA

Unpaid day surgery claims....Frustrated!

Claim DateJune 2019
ian

ian

No gain, more (financial) pain!

Just received a message stating that my current policy is being cancelled and surprise, surprise - replaced with a more expensive option. Same price per quarter now as the policy I previously downgraded from to current after their first rate hike, no additional benefits or options, just more outlay.
I'd rather pay the government levy than hand another cent over to this bunch of shysters!

Rupinder

RupinderSouth East Queensland, QLD

Most rubbish health insurance i have used for my mother ever.

This is the crap health insurance ever had.... They are the robbers. Charging money to suspend a account too. I will never use this health insurance again in my life.

Prabhu Arumugam

Prabhu ArumugamSydney, NSW

Please stay away and save ur money

Claim DateJune 2018

Kapil K.

Kapil K.Sydney, NSW

Not even one star

Claim DateJuly 2019

Curt

CurtVIC, 3044

Very unimpressed with the lack of disclosure. I will be leaving.

All other health insurance companies list what you'll get back. But AU will only say certain amounts per item. Everyone else give 60% back on dental. AU wouldn't tell me, just told me to go get work done and claim it to see what my return is. Went and got a $360 for 2 small cavities which were listed as 2 item codes.. AU only gave $108 back (30%) and only listed 1 item code. Only paying back half that other funds pay is weak. I will be going back to NIB. I am not paying $1200+ per year to be short-changed by this fund.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Great cover and Service

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2019

Bec M.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Beware of hidden hospital 'gap' fees.

I purchased what I was told was top hospital cover with no gaps to pay, just the yearly excess. I confirmed this with the company and the hospital before admission. On discharge I was presented with a nearly $3,00.00 bill for hospital accommodation. It took me a year to pay this off. I tried resolving this with the company, the hospital and even the ombudsman, but apparently what they are doing isn't illegal!?!

Claim DateFebruary 2018
Bec M.

I wasn't charged extra for doctor's fees. If you read my comment, it was for hospital accommodation as apparently you have some sort of step down agreement with the hospital that was not disclosed to me.

Janine

JanineSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Bad Business Practice

It is a rip off. We were on auto debit and they decided to raise our monthly fee without informing us. We now pay each month manually & they are increasing the fees again without informing us. We have had a case number that has not been resolved in 4 weeks now after they told me it would be resolved within 48 hours. They wrote to us stating that a procedure my husband was having would be covered by them. We lodged the claim and now they tell us to go through Medicare.

Claim DateMay 2019

disgraceful

Australian unity is one of a handful of health insurance companies who charge the same rate for single parents as families. Penalising those who can least afford it. To make matters worse, they kept ringing me to bring me back and after 3 months they have still failed to send the required transfer paperwork to my new provider.

Coverage TypeFamily

Afra Y.

Afra Y.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible experience please avoid this company if you can

Terrible experience with customer rep, called 6 times and was given different answers each time. They made claim process extremely difficult because they want you to give up. My meniscus injury was accident but they chose not to cover the excess because they deemed it not accident.(not sure how you could intentionally torn the meniscus).
My first ever surgery and it will be my last dealing with Australian Unity ever! Arrogant rep, terrible service!

Claim DateJanuary 2019

Elda H

Elda HNorth Queensland, QLD

Totally disappointed!

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateMay 2019
Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Elda, thank you for the feedback. I'm keen to review your membership and follow up with you. If you could please email your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au we will be in touch. Thanks, Cat.

Judy

JudySydney, NSW

Terrible service provider

I have been waiting on a claim to be paid since February. I cannot speak to anyone that can help me. I am extremely stressed and concerned and each time I call the waiting times to talk to someone are so long. Emails are not answered - I don’t know where to go to get this sorted

Claim DateMarch 2019
Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Judy, thanks for the feedback and I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. If you could please email your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au I will follow up and come back to you. Thanks, Cat.

Paul

PaulGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

barely rates 1 star

I have one word to describe AU customer service: Woeful
If you do not support online insurance cover upgrades and redirect customers to call your service line then you might want to actually offer people just that - service. After being put on hold twice I hung up. Never to return.

Ash

AshNortheast, VIC

Terrible customer service!!!

I wanted to cancel my mum's budget overseas visitor cover, tried calling them so many times, they never answer phones!!! and emailed three times and still no response. Very poor service!!!!

FlS

FlSSydney, NSW

Terrible customer service, support and system

It’s impossible getting a hold of them when you need to make a claim and when you do is still a very complicated process. The app won’t even make you process claims either.
Name and cover type of my cover was changed without asking for permission, I’ve received an email about it when it was all done. Although I still pay the same amount monthly. I’ve recently had to have surgery and considering what I pay per month, level of cover was close to not worth it, it more than a month ago and I still haven’t been able to make a claim despite attempting to call 3 times already

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi FIS, thank you for the review and I hope you are recovering well from the surgery. If you could please email your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au we can follow on your claim and come back to you. Thanks, Cat.

worst customer service ever

I have made the phone calls several times over two months regarding the overcharge, every time they said it is ok, they will refund me, but never happened. However, for the next month, they over charge me again and again, which is ridiculous.

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Yoyo, I'm very sorry to hear you've been overcharged. If you could please email your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au we will investigate and come back to you. Thanks, Cat.

Val Bourke

Val BourkeSouthern and Hills, SA

Dreadful customer service after 20 years with them

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateApril 2019

JAX

JAXasked

Please explain! If I have, say 6, identical procedures at the same time on my lower back but in different places (treating chronic nerve damage) why do you only cover the cost of ONE NOT SIX procedures, leaving me $500 + out of pocket? Does that mean - if I break both my legs in the identical position as a result of a (say) car accident, you only pay for the treatment/repair of ONE leg?

Hi Jax
Thanks for the question, I'd like some further details so I can look into this for you. Please reach out to us at customerservice@australianunity.com.au or 13 29 39 so we can follow up.

Lola

Lolaasked

I want to purchase health insurance for my 74 year old healthy father coming to visit us ( 600 visa), I wonder if Australian unity will cover major emergencies that are unpredictable like a car accident or fracture or a heart attack?
Lola

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Lola, thanks for the question.
We offer a range of covers for overseas visitors and we can include things such as heart conditions and bone fractures.
To find out which level of cover would best suit your father, please call us on 13 29 39.

Costa

Costaasked

Can someone tell me why my mother in laws overseas cover has gone up 15% this year and 25% last year? I have had top overseas cover since January 2014 with aus unity and it started off at $290. It is now $591! This is a massive strain on our budget. My salary hasn't doubled in that period that's for sure!

Hi Costa
Thanks for getting in touch. We understand that any increase is difficult. Our premium increases are heavily regulated so everyone has equal access to health insurance. We’re happy to help with a Health Cover Check if you call 13 29 39 to assess if your mother in law is on the right cover.
Cat

Get an answer from our members and Australian Unity Health Insurance representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance