Health Insurance Guide for 2020

The decision to take up private health insurance can be a very involved process, and the factors that go into your decision will be unique to you. Your first dip into the policy selection process can be pretty overwhelming, so this guide will help lay everything out for you as plainly as possible to get you on your way.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time3+ months (9), <1 week (4), 2-4 weeks (3), 1-2 weeks (2) and 1-2 months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (7) · No (13)
subodh v.

subodh v.South East Queensland, QLD

Good at rejecting claims !

My Mother was diagnosed with High Grade Type B Lymphoma Cancer. She was on a visitor visa and our claim was rejected on the ground of pre-existing condition though doctor had mentioned it isn't possible for a High Grade Lymphoma patient to survive for a period of 8 months with it. It just a scam in the name of Visitor cover which is a pre-requisite to enter Australia. I will never suggest anyone to travel here after this nightmarish experience

Brendon

BrendonSouthwest, VIC

COVID19 affected

So like many I'v been affected by COVID having to take a cut in pay to ensure everyone in our company has a job. This being said I'v had to put on hold my policy over the past six months. Today I requested to put it on hold a further 3 months as we have been told we will only go back to full pay in the new year. When I called I was told that AU will need to cancel the policy as I can only put it on hold for six months. So stupid that in this tough environment you will burn a customer who has paid on time for years and is going through tough times over a couple of months. Pathetic

John

JohnSydney, NSW

Misleading No Gap Dental Service - What A Lie!

Australian Unity advertised on their website: "Australian Unity's No Gap Dental service offers members with eligible cover preventative dental treatment at no out-of pocket cost (up to your yearly limit)."

I visited Randwick Dental, which is part of their No Gap Dental Network, for cleaning and had to pay $172 out of $288 when my annual limit is $500. This is an outright lie and deceptive business advertising.

I was with Bupa before and when Bupa says no gap dental, it literally means no gap dental and I paid $0!

This is terrible and unacceptable Australian Unity. That is not how Australians do business.

Health Insurance

Find out how Australian Unity Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Ale

Australian DisUnity!!! Premium increase better justified being spent on improving the customer service team

Ale

Hi Cat thanks for your reply. Appreciate your concern. It doesn’t matter now have taken my services elsewhere.

Have a nice day.

llanito

llanito

Unable to get any meaningful information on how to claim for expenses.

Trying to claim for a hospital cover. After decades of them taking premiums - no problem with that, trying to get information about how to claim somehow is not available on their web site. Booking a call for a specific time to discuss is not honoured. Makes me wonder if there is a specific policy to delay claims as much as possible.

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Ilanito, I'm sorry to hear it's been a struggle to get information about how to claim. If you could please email your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au I'll follow up on your enquiry and come back to you. Thanks, Cat.

Rebecca

RebeccaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible customer service

I called up to cancel my policy 3 weeks ago. I had been waiting 3 weeks for a refund, never told I would be receiving a cheque until I called up for the third time. When I received the cheque I went to deposit it at my post office only to be told it cannot be deposited as it didn’t have my full name on it. What a waste of time. Fast to take your money but a hassle to get a refund. Would not deal with them again.

Philip R.

Philip R.

Solutions team unresponsive

Needed to call them three times in one day for simple account reactivation which was promised but not delivered , on hold 40 mins each time . solutions team unable to resolve.. ok if you have a few hours to waste everytime you need to deal with them.

Terri H.

Terri H.

Are they only playing at being a health fund

Dm219

Dm219Sydney, NSW

No covid compassion after 15 years of being a client

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Dm219, I'm really sorry to hear about the impact that COVID-19 has had on your finances. If you could please send your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au we'd be keen to get in touch with you. Thanks, Cat.

Brooke M.South East Queensland, QLD

Cancelled on me without notice

I was phoned by Australian Unity to update my bank details. Completed this and then got a email saying they had cancelled my insurance. No request and no notice! Next minute I just get an email saying your insurance is cancelled. Brand new customer just signing up.

Brooke M.

Hi cat, I’ve done that a couple of times already with no response so I’ll proceed with the cancellation and go somewhere else.

Refuse to pay and Incompetent

I have been with Australian unity for 18 years. Rarely have I had to use health insurance. I tried to claim for a procedure and they have paid a total of $171.20. This is after I was told on 2 separate occasions l would be covered prior to the procedure. I have spoken to 3 different representatives today and been given 3 different amounts they have supposedly paid. Been given 3 different reasons why and told the whole lot has already been paid. They even tried to say they paid the medicare schedule fee. Totally incompetent. Then tried to bribe me with a $150 visa card to stay with them. NOPE!! I'm out.

Claim DateMarch 2020
anna

annavictoria

give me strength

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedYes

Sold incorrect insurance for 2 years

I was encouraged to sign up to Australian Unity Overseas Visitor Health Insurance on moving out to Australia on a Temporary Skills Shortage Visa from the UK. I feel that we were provided incorrect information by Australian Unity about this appropriate cover for us. We have subsequently paid thousands of dollars for an insurance policy that provided us with no additional cover than the reciprocal medicare cover we were already paying for. I would not trust the advice given by this company.

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Jules, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. We're keen to look into your situation further. If you could please email your details to CustomerExperience@australianunity.com.au we'll be in touch. Thanks, Cat.

Beckier

BeckierGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

If you want your health compromised, then Australian Unity is the way to go.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJune 2018
Ange

AngeCanberra 2600, ACT

A useless health insurance company

Too late

My husband and I were also members for 40+ years.But we left on June 1st because you told us our 3 closest private hospitals were no longer going to be covered by you. On a phone call to your office I was told there was no way this could change.Hopefully our new provider will be more professional.

Australian UnitySydney, NSW

Australian Unity no agreement with Healthscope Hospitals

I have been with Australian Unity for well over 40 years. Have always been more than happy. No agreement with Healthscope leaves me with no Private Hospital near me. How can other smaller funds negotiate satisfactory agreements and AU not? I have been hoping and praying that they would come to the table but as the 14 June draws near am left with no alternative but to look elsewhere. How many members are they willing to loose? I wish I could give them a minus rating for poor business acumen.

Australian Unity

Too late. As Carylon from Victoria said 'done and dusted' today I joined HCF. Thank you for your reply Cat.

CarolynGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Australian Unity is cancelling its agreement with Healthscope - 30 year plus customer no more.....

Shelby

ShelbySouth East Queensland, QLD

Hopeless Process

I cancelled during the cooling off period. One email, 5 phone calls and nearly 6 weeks later I still have not seen any of the $890.46 refund due within 3-5 business days.

High Payments, Little Service

I have made regular payments for platinum service to Australian Unity for years. My doctor requested a blood test be performed while I was in hospital to gauge the severity of a chronic illness I suffer from, and I was later told, after a drawn out, bureaucratically mind boggling process that Australian Unity did not cover me. Their advertising reads, "Platinum hospital is the highest level of hospital cover we offer and popular with those looking for complete piece of mind." What I received was expensive form of nothing.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJune 2019

JAX

JAXasked

Please explain! If I have, say 6, identical procedures at the same time on my lower back but in different places (treating chronic nerve damage) why do you only cover the cost of ONE NOT SIX procedures, leaving me $500 + out of pocket? Does that mean - if I break both my legs in the identical position as a result of a (say) car accident, you only pay for the treatment/repair of ONE leg?

Hi Jax
Thanks for the question, I'd like some further details so I can look into this for you. Please reach out to us at customerservice@australianunity.com.au or 13 29 39 so we can follow up.

Lola

Lolaasked

I want to purchase health insurance for my 74 year old healthy father coming to visit us ( 600 visa), I wonder if Australian unity will cover major emergencies that are unpredictable like a car accident or fracture or a heart attack?
Lola

Cat F.Australian Unity Health Insurance

Hi Lola, thanks for the question.
We offer a range of covers for overseas visitors and we can include things such as heart conditions and bone fractures.
To find out which level of cover would best suit your father, please call us on 13 29 39.

Costa

Costaasked

Can someone tell me why my mother in laws overseas cover has gone up 15% this year and 25% last year? I have had top overseas cover since January 2014 with aus unity and it started off at $290. It is now $591! This is a massive strain on our budget. My salary hasn't doubled in that period that's for sure!

Hi Costa
Thanks for getting in touch. We understand that any increase is difficult. Our premium increases are heavily regulated so everyone has equal access to health insurance. We’re happy to help with a Health Cover Check if you call 13 29 39 to assess if your mother in law is on the right cover.
Cat

Get an answer from our members and Australian Unity Health Insurance representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance