5Oricom BabySense7 Breathing Movement Monitor

Mike Thompson
Mike ThompsonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC
  Verified Top Review

Gave us peace of mind

Initially, we didn't know which product to purchase regarding baby's safety whilst sleeping. After many hours researching different products, we decided on the Orion babysense 7, and it turned out to be perfect for us.
We followed the instructions and only have one base plate connected as baby is still in a bassinet and cannot roll over yet. We Initially had false alarms but we realised we had the plate way too close to the bottom of bassinet yet baby was more in the centre - that's how sensitive the plate is and I knew we had bought the right product. Once we repositioned the plate, it's been perfect.
A few reviews had mentioned that the green flashing light is too bright, but it doesn't bother us at all, if anything it's become a calming light in the room that symbolises that everything is ok.
The alarm is so loud we can hear it downstairs, another great feature.

Overall, it has eliminated so much stress for us after reading probably too much info on SIDS and the heartbreaking stories associated with it. It's not a product that baby can pull off or switch off, and the constant green flash shows us it is working and everything is ok. I've already recommended it to pregnant friends.

Purchased in for $179.

Oricom   DM

Hi there, thanks for the review and taking the time time let others know of your experience with the product. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Brent R.
Brent R.South East Queensland, QLD4 posts
  Top Review

Our Guardian Angel

Our first son died in his sleep by suffocation. He had rolled onto his stomach during the night, face down. He was in his own room at 4 months and had up until that point been sleeping really well. He died silently. We found him in the morning and was had been dead for hours.

So with our second son, it was imperative we have in place an early warning system, and that has been the Oricom in conjunction with a Vtech video monitor.

We followed the simple instructions, which included getting a 6mm piece of ply wood from the hardware store to put on top of the bed slats. The Oricom sensors are then on top of this under the mattress. The movement sensors pick up even the tiniest movement, they are incredible. They will even pick up music playing in the room, so be sure you test it before use!

The best part of the Oricom is that it sits on the side of the cost, directly connected to the sensor pads.it shows a green flashing light to indicate that it feels movement. So once you see The light you know baby is okay. It also has a very loud alarm which you can hear most places in your house, but can definitely hear from the video monitor!

Its been hard having our second son in his own room, but now when I wake at night I know that silence doesn't mean death. If the alarm has not sounded, then my son is still breathing! It truly feels like Oricom is watching over our son as he sleeps. If the worst were to happen, we would be alerted and be there in seconds, where we at least have a fighting chance of saving our boy.

Can't recommend this product highly enough. Just watch out for things in the room that could give false readings, such as an open window, a fan, or music. These things are sensitive, so you want a space devoid of all movement aside from your baby.

Purchased in at Bubs n Grubs for $250.

Oricom   DM

Hi Brent, thanks for the review. Brent, we are really appreciative you taking the time to reach out and provide your experiences to this audience. We appreciate the honest feedback on the product, and we are so glad to read of the peace of mind that you have experienced with the Babysense. Wishing you all the very best for the future. Oricom Baby Care.

Jess
Jess
  Top Review

Our alarm constantly goes off

We have a 5 month old daughter who sleeps in her own room.

We bought the Oricom monitor for peace of mind however it actually does just the opposite.

It constantly goes off - sometimes twice a night.

This causes blind panic as both my husband and myself fly out of bed and rush into our babies room only to find her sleeping peacefully, breathing normally and kicking her legs at the alarm.

We've changed batteries, disconnected and reconnected the pads and moved them into different positions ~ all to no avail.

This alarm has caused that many sleepless nights and false panic attacks that it's hard to say that it was worth all the money.

I think if it worked properly then the sensor would be a good investment for peace of mind and bubs safety however we won't be getting the oricom in future.

Oricom   DM

Hi Jess, We would like to speak with you to troubleshoot the operation of your Babysense2. We need to check such things as (among others) the sensitivity level setting, the type of batteries being used and the location/ positioning of the sensor pads. Are you able to contact our Customer Support Team on 1300 889 785 and quote your reference: HL61358 so we can assist you as quickly as possible? Best regards, Oricom Baby Care

darren
darrenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Useless - thinks a baby is there when it isn't

Useless - you can remove the baby and it still thinks the baby is there. Just sits there flashing away happily. Worst purchase I've made for our child. Show details
Oricom   DM

Hi Darren, we would love to discuss this with you. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 02 4574 8888 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST

Clare E.
Clare E.South East Queensland, QLD
  Fair Incentive Verified

Great product, great customer service

This product has provided relief and peace of mind around our babies sleeping at night. When babies can roll you do worry about them breathing facedown on a mattress, but the Bsbysense7 breathing monitor is reliable.
Oricom's customer service is fantastic; they have great communication and are prompt at attending to any concerns and helping you troubleshoot. Purchased in a set with a video monitor. Thank you! Show details ·  1
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn

Absolutely terrible

This has to be one of the worst purchases I have made since having my baby. I have had to have the the parent device 4 times and every time I asked for a refund as it was faulty, Oricom wouldn’t issue a refund but kept sending replacements. With each replacement the battery continued to swell in side the battery casing which meant the battery life was terrible
My parent device would only last half an hour without it being plugged in, so it meant I was limited to do things around the home due to not being able to carry my parent device with me. The parent device was also always freezing which meant being turned off and on at all random times of being used
Please save your money and purchase something more reliable Show details
Dannii W.
Dannii W.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Haven’t had an issue

Monitor works well for purpose very happy with our purchase 2 years down the track and I’ve only had to call support today for the first time cause a little cheeky monkey knocked it over and now I don’t have picture! New camera is being sent out ASAP so that is great!! Show details ·  1
Rena
Rena4 posts

Very happy with this monitor

We love this monitor. Super easy to set up and work. Never had any false alarms at all and it works very well. Gives us extra piece of mind. Would definitely recommend this to parents Show details ·  1
Amanda
AmandaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Gives me peace of mind while my baby is sleeping! Absolutely love it

Allows me to have some sleep while my baby is sleeping.. pads go under the mattress out of the way
Alarm will go off if there is no breathing movement in the cot Show details ·  1
Perth Local
Perth LocalPerth, WA38 posts

It's still flashing green when I remove my son

I have a co sleeper on the side of my bed and bought this for peace of mind. The other morning I took my son out to feed him, spent a good 45 minutes out of the bed and realised I didn't turn the alarm off. Infact it was still flashing green.
I did the same thing thismorning, and tonight, and same thing happened. Beijg winter I don't sleep with a fan, infact it's quite dead/ still in the bedroom.
As my son is now 3 months old I threw the box out I can't return it. For $249+ I feel like it was money wasted. Show details
Overall
Functionality
M.C
M.CTasmania2 posts

Suddenly taking too long to alarm

Its been excellent and worked perfectly with alarm going off when i take baby out and forget to turn off but the last few tests I've done and turned it on without him in the cot its taken well over 5 minutes to alarm. If it was a not breathing situation it would be too late for me to know. The machine is only a year old so age isn't an isue with it. Not sure whats going on with it. I'll change the batteries again but i dont think thats the issue. Show reply
Stephanie M.
Stephanie M.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC5 posts

Overall
Functionality
Elizabeth C.
Elizabeth C.South East Queensland, QLD

Brooke
BrookeHunter Region, NSW

This Saved Our Babies Life!

We had this on our gift registry and we are so glad we did! It literally saved our sons life, it went off in the night we ran to find him not breathing properly, a quick grab and pat on his back to get it out, and he was breathing and smiling happy to see us. I would now pay a million dollars for this. It saved his life. Show details ·  1
Lachlan
LachlanSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

Peace of mind!

After a lot of research and recommendations from friends, we landed on the Oricom Babysense7 for our newborn due to its independence from mains power and wifi. We had some technical difficulties with the first control unit, however, the Oricom Support team immediately sent a replacement control unit free of charge which works great. The sensors clearly show when the unit is on and when it detects movement, and when you remove the babyfrom the cot or bassinet, the sensor detects no movement and begins to click and then the alarm sounds. Great peace of mind that it's working as intended. We haven't had any false alarms after 2 weeks of use (knock wood). Highly recommend. Show details ·  1

Frequently Asked Questions about Oricom BabySense7 Breathing Movement Monitor

Is it a medical device?

Babysense7 is included as a medical device on the Australian Register of Therapeutic goods (ARTG No. 97479).

Is it simple to set up and easy to use?

Yes, extremely simple to set up and operate, however we strongly recommend the user guide instructions be followed and functionality regularly tested.

Is it portable?

Yes, it uses 4 x AA Alkaline batteries (not supplied) so you can move it easily.

I’ve read that the Babysense7 monitor runs on batteries. How long (on average) will the batteries normally last before needing to change them?

The babysense7 is Powered by 4 x AA, 1.5-volt Alkaline batteries (not supplied). Power consumption is approximately 1mA. Battery life is approximately 6 months using high quality alkaline batteries.

Can it be used in cribs, bassinets, travel cot?

Yes, as long as the base is rigid and a suitable mattress is used and you must ensure that excess cords are secured under the mattress out of reach of baby or other infants. Modifications may be required to the bassinet for sensor pad wiring access and controller unit placement. For further advice please consult an Oricom Representative.

How many sensor pads does it have?

It comes with two highly sensitive sensor pads that cover the area of a standard sized crib or cot.

What age groups is it suitable for?

It is suitable for healthy infants up to one year (12months) of age (it cannot be used for children or adults).

If I have twins, can I use with both babies in one cot?

No you will need to have babies in separate cots, each with its own Babysense7 monitor.

Why is it that lights on Control Unit do not illuminate when turned ON?

Batteries are not inserted incorrectly or may be flat. Check batteries are inserted in the Control unit observing the correct polarity. Control unit requires 4 x AA 1.5V Alkaline batteries (not supplied).

What is low battery voltage warning (red light) on the Control Unit is flashing?

Batteries are low, replace all 4 batteries.

Why does alarm goes off after a few hours?

This could be due to the following:

The mattress is not touching the sensor pads.

The mattress is raised (there is an object near the sensor pads).

Two sensor pads are connected but the baby is not yet crawling.

Only one sensor pad is connected and the baby has crawled off the sensor pad.

The mattress does not enable adequate transfer of baby movement The compositions of some cot mattresses may not conduct vibrations associated with babies breathing movement and may not be suitable with Babaysense7.

Do not use Babysense7 with a memory foam mattress.

Make sure that the mattress and sensor pads are touching. Make sure that there are no objects next to the sensor pads. Connect sensor pads as per the user manual. If baby is not yet able to crawl, use only one sensor pad and make sure sensor is placed underneath baby’s location in bed to ensure greater relative sensitivity. Place a sheet of plywood (not supplied) under the sensor pad so that the sensor pad and the mattress will be tightly pressed together.

Why do I get delayed alarms while taking the baby out of the bed?

Performance test is not correct. Do not conduct performance test by taking the baby out of bed and waiting for the alarm to go off. Kindly conduct performance test according to the performance test instruction in user guide. The alarm does not go off within 20 seconds when performing the correct performance test Environmental Influences detected by the sensor pads, such as wind, fan, air-conditioner, toy mobile vibrations. Perform a test which will detect the source of the movement that the device detects, eg; sources of wind such as air conditioner, an open window or a fan, movements of baby mobile (which can vibrate even if it’s not turned on) walking around the bed area or an intercom placed near the bed with intense transmission levels. Eliminate sources of wind, remove the mobile etc. After neutralising all environmental interruptions, perform the test again.

Can I use the Babysense7 on my 13-month-old infant?

Babysense7 is intended for healthy newborn infants from birth and up to 1 year of age. Babysense7 is set to recognise a defined breathing movement rate of infants within this age group (the alarm sounds if breathing stops for 20 seconds or if the breathing rate slows to below 10 breaths per minute).

Can I use Babysense7 if my infant needs constant medical supervision?

No. You should contact your GP or medical specialist and seek their advice on what alternative suitable methods of monitoring your infant are available.

Why is it recommended that only one pad be used in a bassinet?

The Babysense7 detects the movement produced by a baby’s breathing. A newborn, being smaller, may not have as much movement than a 3 or 4-month-old baby, and when two sensor pads are connected it does reduce the sensitivity of the pads, a little, no problem for an older baby but maybe a little more difficult to detect the movement for a new born baby. This is why it is always best to follow the instructions in the user guide including performing a regular (daily) test of the monitor. Babysense7 is intended for use as an Infant Apnoea Alarm. ALWAYS READ THE LABEL AND USER GUIDE, USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.

Latest Consumer Questions

Amanda S.
Amanda S.

Would I be able to use this with the mamaroo bassinet please? https://www.babybunting.com.au/product/4moms-mamaroo-sleep-bassinet-white-120459

Oricom   DM

Hi there, we would love to discuss with you. Please give our locally based Support a call on 02 4574 8888 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEDT and they will run through your requirements for the product setup

Lisa
Lisa

Hi,
My alarm has gone off 4 times since moving bubs to her own room, twice in the last week. Its at the same time each night. Can you offer some guidance? Is this a device issue or a sign of something more severe?

Oricom   DM

Hello Lisa, we would suggest you contact our support team on (02) 4574 8888 to troubleshoot over the phone to check all possibilities. Thanks, Oricom Baby Care :)

John P.
John P.

Hi can the pads be used in a Snoo?

Oricom   DM

Hi John, thanks for the message. The Babysense7 is a sensitive medical device. We would recommend contacting our locally based Oricom Support Team 02 4574 8888 8am-6pm Mon-Fri AEST as they will be able to assist you.

Features:

• The Oricom BabySense7 Breathing Movement Monitor monitors your baby’s breathing and sounds an alarm when their breathing slows or stops.
  • It’s an integrated system, with a control unit that connects to sensor pads placed beneath your baby’s mattress.
  • The monitor is battery operated, so you don’t need to fuss with arranging cords around the cot.
  • For added peace of mind, the Babysense 7 is included as a medical device on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG No. 97479), so you know you’re using a vetted, high quality device.
  • This product comes with a 2-year warranty.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that the device was easy to install and use.
  • They also said that the baby monitor was reliable, and accurately alarmed them when their baby’s breathing changed.
  • According to reviewers, the monitor has good range, working well across longer distances.

A point of pain:

• Some reviewers noted that the monitor had a shorter battery life than they expected.
CategoryBaby Monitors