Baumr-AG SX62

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good Chainsaw Great Vaule For Money

I purchased the chainsaw in August 2019 for a bargain price of $135 delivered. Assembly was very easy. Followed the manual using good quality 2 stroke oil and 95 unleaded fuel and good quality bar and chain oil.
First start was very easy. This saw is no Stihl or Husqvarna but to my suprise it cuts hardwood very easily.
The first time cutting wood I was cutting up firewood. A fallen old stringybark tree. The cuts were approximately 50cm across the trunk to split with a block splitter. The saw had plenty of power and managed it easily.
Some people have mentioned how the saw leaks oil and yes mine has too, but only a couple of drops in 3 days while sitting on a shelf. This could be stopped by tightening up the oil screw when finished and then loosening it again when going to use it.
I believe there is a problem with the quality of the air filter in this saw. After cutting a trailer load of wood and then cleaning the saw dust had managed to go thru the filter and into the carby. So it will be interesting to see how long the saw lasts with dust getting into it while running.
But overall I am happy with my purchase a decent trailer load of firewood costs more than the price of the saw, so in effect the saw has paid for itself with one morning cutting wood.
I normally cut about 8 - 10 tonne of firewood per year if I get 2 years use out of the saw I will be happy. The equivalent Stihl or Husqvarna would have cost over $1000.
Would I buy this saw if I was cutting firewood all day everyday for a living no, but for personal moderate use it is a big yes from me.
I must admit I was a bit skeptical about the quality and performance of these saws having read many reviews on them. Some people gave rave reviews and others poor reviews and for $135 I really was not expecting great things from it; but I have been suprised by it's performance.
I take it easy pulling the starting cord and let the easy start help as apposed to just pulling the cord vigorously. I also make sure the chain break is off and hold the bar up while adjusting the chain tension and not just while tightening the lock nuts.
Like I have said the build quality is not fantastic but given care operating the saw taking into account the build quality I feel it will hold together ok.
The dust into the carby is the only problem that concerns me with this saw and time will tell how long it lasts.
So is it worth a gamble buying this saw? Given the price point and how it powered thru the firewood I have cut up to date I would definitely say a big yes.
If you want to see a couple of video reviews I have made based on my initial use of the saw just look for dragonlair 2350 on youtube.

Purchased in August 2019 at Ebay for $135.00.

Yes it has been good

The Ebay chainsaw has had a real workout over about 5 years.

Starting is impressive EASY compared with other online stuff ie petrol whipper snipper from this online shop.

It is still working and needs a new chain often $20 online $60 from Mower Shop!!!!!

Safety

Great saws for their price

Found it starts easy,have had mine for 6yrs now,the only fault i have had is the chain tensioner vibrates loose,its an easy fix by putting a small compresion spring on the tensioner bolt,also i found it likes to stretch chains and the bars have a tendency to wear with heavy cutting,but ive probably been harder on it then most,its cut close to 250 mters of commercial wood(redgum,sugar gum,iron bark and old sleepers)plus the 18mtrs a season i use myself.so for the price you carnt go wrong and really if it lasts a season then its little loss and buy another,still dead cheap and worth the cash.

Purchased in January 2014 at Baumer AG for $199.00.

Safety

Worth the money - not the experience

How easy is it to start?
Compared with other 'pull start' saws and devices it is 'weird' as I and 2 other people termed it. It is a spring that winds up on the pull then releases..(causes the motor turn fast) And feels somewhat flimsy. But so far starts after no more than 3 pulls. *1 when hot
What sort of trees / branches do you use this chainsaw on?
Have tested it on green gum trees and aged stringy bark. It tends to get bark tangled between the outer case and chain which has to be cleared. No Stihl saw I've owned has ever had this problem-
How well does this chainsaw cut large or hard branches?
No problem on branches except this saw has to be handled carefully as the new chain tends to 'bight' on the upper cut. It could easily injure the untrained operator. The saw is also rather heavy and with a 25:1 oil mix is very smokey. The chain adjuster is very flimsy and should be cleaned to adjust. The clutch tend to slip unless revs are high.
We purchase from Edisons online and received it without the chain bar included in the box...(from Sydney to NE Victoria it took a week) Then it took another week to receive the missing part. There is a spare part included in the box which we are still waiting for a reply as to what it is. (send a close up photo)
So if you want a cheap chainsaw buy one. If you want reliability save some money and buy a Stihl. Though the lower end Stihls are made in China and the quality is not as it used to be.

Purchased in June 2019 at Edisons for $139.00.

Awesome saw, value for $$$

I've had a sx62 mk3 for about 3 years now and I have used it a lot and I mean a lot. I regularly saw through hardwoods (redgum ,ironbark, yellow box, mallee) up to 18 inches in diameter. Starts after 3-4 pulls every time. As a guess I have cut up 40 tons of wood with it and it hasn't failed. Keep the chain sharp, don't hold the throttle wide open, set the Carby mixture a bit rich and run it 30:1 oil ratio and it'll last. In a nutshell I've had few Chinese saws and this one takes the cake, in fact I saw them on sale and bought another for the future. I've even had a professional arborist comment on it's impressive performance.

Purchased in October 2016 for $169.00.

Got one for 143 delivered

Have used 3 times and no dramas so far.

For $143 cant fault it.

Have used to cut Jarrah and some other gum trees for firewood. Chews through nearly as well as my old mans Husky 455 Rancher.

Purchased in February 2019 for $143.00.

Best $199 I've spent

Worked first time, every time.
Locking the extension poles into position can be fiddly, and it's very heavy at 5m (but that's the immutable laws of physics for you).
I was a sceptical purchaser, but this is great value.

Purchased in February 2019 at Catch for $199.00.

Safety

Cuts well, plenty of power, reliable.

I bought this cheap saw to mainly cut down palm trees as I didn't want to wreck a good saw. I have been very pleased with it, I really can't fault it so far. It is a very pleasant surprise how well this saw works, it has plenty of power to cut big logs. It starts easily and I have had absolutely no trouble with it whatsoever.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Very dangerous shuld be recalled

Just finished repairing the 2nd one of these.
A reasonable saw for the price but latex rubber used on fuel lines is not petrol proof & actually illegal to use in most of the developed world, including Australia.
Fuel line split and covered the customer with petrol.
Put some proper fuel line on it and all was good but this is a $ 150 repair on this saw ( 2 hours work ).
IMHO a very dangerous defect, potential bush fire starter

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Baumr_ag(bummer -ag)

Ha ha ha ha..well for a start the people of any place that sells this trash can come and suck my circles for a start..the thing did not come with a catcher..i put it through its paces today and found that after minimum use it showed great wear on already crap parts wondering will it start tomorrow. Now sure i put some good oil and 91 uld and vrooom first pull with little effort..but then i took her up and down the backyard 3 times on lowest setting in pretty already low buffalo it did not like it at all..it started to sound amiss i stopped it cleaned it with the deck cleaner and wow a good idea no crap then i checked the blades and no no the flimsiest crap that had chunks and big dent and depression from 3 runs in the back yard.. purchase at your own peril..

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Have had a few of these over the years

For the money these saws are great. Ive had 4 over last 12 years or so. Some ive cut more than 5 tonne of fire wood a year with. Obviously they wont go forever...but geez, ive got a lot more than my moneys worth for each one. Love em.
The big stihls are stand out better...BUT, so is the price tag.
Oh.... spare bits for the Baumr have got easier to get over the years ive noticed.

Date PurchasedJan 2004

OK for what it costs

Used my SX62 to cut down around 30 large gum trees, dead trees full of ants, gnarly old fire damaged stumps. Each was then cut into smaller pieces for burning. Sharpened the chain twice, once my own fault because I let it run against some rocks. The saw is far from perfect and needs fairly regular adjustment to chain tension, uses heaps of bar oil and can be sometimes temperamental to start, but at the end of the day an equivalent Stihl or Husky would cost at least 5x the price.

I would take the reviews on the sellers site with a grain of salt as they appear to be almost all positive. I suspect that the older model (mine is a Mk3) was better built and therefore earned the good reviews, and that they cherry-pick which reviews they publish. However, as long as you're happy to fiddle with the saw a bit then it's definitely good for the price.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Waste of time

Saw has Done hardly any work used on green not dry and the clutch is stuffed found with then the saw tends to cut angled fixed that problem but i own 7 saws ill never buy one of these again, its sluggish in cutting large logs, small wood fine, now the clutch is going on it dont know if ill replace it, also if its been running for a while say half a tank wont start have to wait for a while for it to cool down before trying to restart

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Average saw

Got a 2 year old SX62, used about 6 times. Lately it has struggled to run but thought I'd take it to cut a few medium sized gum trees at a mate's farm. After 15 minutes of stop/start cutting, the pull chord snapped. Opened up the body and tied the chord back on, first pull and it snapped half way! So off to the local farm machinery shop to get a new chord. After a couple hour round trip, got back to the farm and managed to cut a couple trees. Then the chain tensioner nut worked itself loose and fell off in the scrub. That was game over and beer time. The job wasn't anywhere near finished and I'm now researching for a new saw. Too many little issues gave me too many headaches. Has a great engine, but other parts just aren't up to scratch.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Frustrating, and constant tweaking

You'll spend more time constantly adjusting and tweaking to get it to cut right..

My start stop button ceased to function and have need to replace lost nuts that are constantly coming loose..

It has done the job on a few trees, but I don't expect it to last long.

If you need it for a few jobs it's fine but realistically buying a STHIL is the only option for quality, safety, reliability, speed and longevity..

It was only $160 bucks so I guess you get what you pay for..

Date PurchasedApr 2018

5 stars in most areas... The air filter is terrible, needs a redesign and gets 1 star.

I bought this saw off ebay a month ago in June 2018, and will update my review a few times a year to give you an idea on the longevity of the product.

Overall I am very pleased with the Baumr Ag sx62 (I've got the MKIII). I was hesitant to get one of these Baumr Ag saws, and read a lot of mixed reviews both good and bad. I took the plunge and bought one and now can highly recommend this saw. I have cut about 15 trailer loads of dry old hardwood ranging from 10cm in diameter to 50cm. This saw has been fantastic, has a lot of power for some pretty big Australian hardwood and hasn't miss a beat. The saw starts with ease every time. For a saw this size in a Husqvarna I would need about $1800. Obviously it's not for a professional tree person, but for someone on a farm or with acreage... perfect.

Interesting side note... on ebay Edisons don't allow reviews for the Baumr AG 62sx chainsaw, but have reviews for other sizes in the Baumr range. Wonder why that is?

Terrible Air Filter...
This a great saw... but before I go further I want to emphasise how terrible the air filter is, it's the only thing really letting the saw down. After every one or two tanks of fuel, there is a fair amount of fine dust inside the air filter and down the carburettor. I have to clean it out with the air compressor and a rag. Basically the air filter is rubbish and may as well not be there. I've read a lot of reviews saying the same. I contacted Edison's on ebay, sending them photos of dust in the air filter and carby asking if this was normal or for a solution. Edisons had no improvements for me basically saying "that's the way it is." So I guess I will see how long the saw will last while sucking dust into the engine. Edisons have sold 10,000 of these saws over many years... my saw is the 3rd model... Edisons... why don't you redesign the air filter? With a proper air filter this saw will be almost perfect.

The Chain...
I have read negative reviews about the chain supplied with the saws not staying sharp or stretching. I have found the chain sharp enough and it stays sharp... I have used Oregon chains on another saw and have found the chain supplied with this saw stays sharp about the same. I cut through old hard wood, with dirt in the bark and dusting ants nests in the wood... the chain stays as sharp as I would expect in those harsh conditions. On the negative side, I do find the chain stretches easily and requires re-tensioning often... I'm not sure if this is the chain supplied or the bar and tensioner? I find I can go about half a tank of fuel or maybe a whole tank then I need to re-tension the chain. Not a big deal for me... I'll try a Carlton chain on the saw and update this review with the results.

The Chain Tension Screw...
Many reviews and videos point to the cheap tension screw. So far I haven't found this to be a problem, and it works fine... so far. I have a Ryobi 45cc chainsaw which has a very similar design and quality screw... if you want to see what this screw looks like... go to Bunnings and look at the Ryobi. Most chainsaw experts I've listened to tell me to lift the bar at the end when tightening the screw, when I do this the screw turns easily. I could see if you didn't lift the nose of the bar, the bar would put added pressure on the screw... causing it to fail. Just a theory.

Qualty
The plastic frame, handle etc is very sturdy... as good as Stihl Farmboss I have picked up. The choke knob seems a little cheap, and I am very gentle when pulling the choke out, feels like I might break it every time. So far it's ok.

Vibration
There is almost no vibration with this saw... it's very comfortable to hold. I have used the saw for hours with no problem. I can't imagine any saw being any better.

Starting
I follow the starting procedure and the saw starts with a few pulls every time. The E-start system is great.

In summary if you want a powerful saw without spending $1800 on a Husky or Stihl... go for it. I really like this saw, and if it lasts 3 or more years I'll get another one. Let's hope Edisons have a better air filter by then.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Cheapest on the market and works well (so far)

After returning my Ryobi chainsaw to Bunnings due to major faults, I decided to switch brands. I was hesitant to purchase this one as it was cheaper than Ryobi (despite better specs).

After 4 months of use, it functions as expected and was a creat purchase for $200.

Based on my experience i can recommend this product

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

You get what you pay for

I've had two of these now. Used the first one for about 2 years and was quite happy with it. Plenty of power. Couldnt get it to idle and run properly after that and just bought a new saw as it had done a fair bit of work. The second one I've had about 18 months and it is just starting to give trouble. Has a big flat spot when revving up and loses power and dies as soon as the chain touches wood. So......
The good- Very cheap, and so are the parts. Which is good. You will be needing them. When fairly new and running properly, they work very well and have plenty of power. Good value for money. If you have done a bit of work with them it is very tempting to just get another one at the first sign of trouble. You are getting a new bar and chain, and hopefully no problems for a while. And you will have the old one to strip for parts.
The bad- Nowhere near as long lasting or reliable as a Stihl or Husky (but far cheaper). Be prepared to be fiddling with them a bit when you had actually planned to be cutting wood.
Both my saws are the superceded model and had two main issues. They leak bar oil when left full of oil. Empty it after use. Ignition switches failed on both saws. Eventually gave up and just wired in a toggle switch I had in the shed rather than the genuine spare piece of [Word Removed].
So what you need to decide is whether you are happy with a saw that is cheap to buy and does the job well, but will give you problems at some stage. Or you are prepared to pay a (big) premium for reliability. The decision will often come down to how much you know about maintaining and fixing chainsaws yourself.
If you take the Baumr to your local mower shop for repairs and show it to the guy, he will look like he just stepped in a dog turd and want to show you all the new Stihls on his wall.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

its not a Stihl

mine has been very reliable , starts very easily , I used in the raid and buggered the ignition (my bad)
was to order part and fix ,went great again did plenty of work
then lent to son and the pull start was wrecked , it wasn't as good as a Sthil or Husky but is a fraction of their cost

Date PurchasedJul 2017

does not do what its supposed to do

used twice,would not start, found fuel hoses split. changed, found piston rings broken when changing hoses.changed rings still will not start, coil faulty. changed coil and spark plug, set has per manufactures settings.got spark still no joy. has anyone had same problem. mine,s gone to the chainsaw heaven. i suppose you get what you pay for......

Date PurchasedOct 2016