Baumr-AG SX62

Baumr-AG SX62

Got one for 143 delivered

Have used 3 times and no dramas so far.

For $143 cant fault it.

Have used to cut Jarrah and some other gum trees for firewood. Chews through nearly as well as my old mans Husky 455 Rancher.

Purchased in February 2019 for $143.00.

Best $199 I've spent

Worked first time, every time.
Locking the extension poles into position can be fiddly, and it's very heavy at 5m (but that's the immutable laws of physics for you).
I was a sceptical purchaser, but this is great value.

Purchased in February 2019 at Catch for $199.00.

Safety

Cuts well, plenty of power, reliable.

I bought this cheap saw to mainly cut down palm trees as I didn't want to wreck a good saw. I have been very pleased with it, I really can't fault it so far. It is a very pleasant surprise how well this saw works, it has plenty of power to cut big logs. It starts easily and I have had absolutely no trouble with it whatsoever.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Very dangerous shuld be recalled

Just finished repairing the 2nd one of these.
A reasonable saw for the price but latex rubber used on fuel lines is not petrol proof & actually illegal to use in most of the developed world, including Australia.
Fuel line split and covered the customer with petrol.
Put some proper fuel line on it and all was good but this is a $ 150 repair on this saw ( 2 hours work ).
IMHO a very dangerous defect, potential bush fire starter

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Baumr_ag(bummer -ag)

Ha ha ha ha..well for a start the people of any place that sells this trash can come and suck my circles for a start..the thing did not come with a catcher..i put it through its paces today and found that after minimum use it showed great wear on already crap parts wondering will it start tomorrow. Now sure i put some good oil and 91 uld and vrooom first pull with little effort..but then i took her up and down the backyard 3 times on lowest setting in pretty already low buffalo it did not like it at all..it started to sound amiss i stopped it cleaned it with the deck cleaner and wow a good idea no crap then i checked the blades and no no the flimsiest crap that had chunks and big dent and depression from 3 runs in the back yard.. purchase at your own peril..

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Have had a few of these over the years

For the money these saws are great. Ive had 4 over last 12 years or so. Some ive cut more than 5 tonne of fire wood a year with. Obviously they wont go forever...but geez, ive got a lot more than my moneys worth for each one. Love em.
The big stihls are stand out better...BUT, so is the price tag.
Oh.... spare bits for the Baumr have got easier to get over the years ive noticed.

Date PurchasedJan 2004

OK for what it costs

Used my SX62 to cut down around 30 large gum trees, dead trees full of ants, gnarly old fire damaged stumps. Each was then cut into smaller pieces for burning. Sharpened the chain twice, once my own fault because I let it run against some rocks. The saw is far from perfect and needs fairly regular adjustment to chain tension, uses heaps of bar oil and can be sometimes temperamental to start, but at the end of the day an equivalent Stihl or Husky would cost at least 5x the price.

I would take the reviews on the sellers site with a grain of salt as they appear to be almost all positive. I suspect that the older model (mine is a Mk3) was better built and therefore earned the good reviews, and that they cherry-pick which reviews they publish. However, as long as you're happy to fiddle with the saw a bit then it's definitely good for the price.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Waste of time

Saw has Done hardly any work used on green not dry and the clutch is stuffed found with then the saw tends to cut angled fixed that problem but i own 7 saws ill never buy one of these again, its sluggish in cutting large logs, small wood fine, now the clutch is going on it dont know if ill replace it, also if its been running for a while say half a tank wont start have to wait for a while for it to cool down before trying to restart

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Average saw

Got a 2 year old SX62, used about 6 times. Lately it has struggled to run but thought I'd take it to cut a few medium sized gum trees at a mate's farm. After 15 minutes of stop/start cutting, the pull chord snapped. Opened up the body and tied the chord back on, first pull and it snapped half way! So off to the local farm machinery shop to get a new chord. After a couple hour round trip, got back to the farm and managed to cut a couple trees. Then the chain tensioner nut worked itself loose and fell off in the scrub. That was game over and beer time. The job wasn't anywhere near finished and I'm now researching for a new saw. Too many little issues gave me too many headaches. Has a great engine, but other parts just aren't up to scratch.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Frustrating, and constant tweaking

You'll spend more time constantly adjusting and tweaking to get it to cut right..

My start stop button ceased to function and have need to replace lost nuts that are constantly coming loose..

It has done the job on a few trees, but I don't expect it to last long.

If you need it for a few jobs it's fine but realistically buying a STHIL is the only option for quality, safety, reliability, speed and longevity..

It was only $160 bucks so I guess you get what you pay for..

Date PurchasedApr 2018

5 stars in most areas... The air filter is terrible, needs a redesign and gets 1 star.

I bought this saw off ebay a month ago in June 2018, and will update my review a few times a year to give you an idea on the longevity of the product.

Overall I am very pleased with the Baumr Ag sx62 (I've got the MKIII). I was hesitant to get one of these Baumr Ag saws, and read a lot of mixed reviews both good and bad. I took the plunge and bought one and now can highly recommend this saw. I have cut about 15 trailer loads of dry old hardwood ranging from 10cm in diameter to 50cm. This saw has been fantastic, has a lot of power for some pretty big Australian hardwood and hasn't miss a beat. The saw starts with ease every time. For a saw this size in a Husqvarna I would need about $1800. Obviously it's not for a professional tree person, but for someone on a farm or with acreage... perfect.

Interesting side note... on ebay Edisons don't allow reviews for the Baumr AG 62sx chainsaw, but have reviews for other sizes in the Baumr range. Wonder why that is?

Terrible Air Filter...
This a great saw... but before I go further I want to emphasise how terrible the air filter is, it's the only thing really letting the saw down. After every one or two tanks of fuel, there is a fair amount of fine dust inside the air filter and down the carburettor. I have to clean it out with the air compressor and a rag. Basically the air filter is rubbish and may as well not be there. I've read a lot of reviews saying the same. I contacted Edison's on ebay, sending them photos of dust in the air filter and carby asking if this was normal or for a solution. Edisons had no improvements for me basically saying "that's the way it is." So I guess I will see how long the saw will last while sucking dust into the engine. Edisons have sold 10,000 of these saws over many years... my saw is the 3rd model... Edisons... why don't you redesign the air filter? With a proper air filter this saw will be almost perfect.

The Chain...
I have read negative reviews about the chain supplied with the saws not staying sharp or stretching. I have found the chain sharp enough and it stays sharp... I have used Oregon chains on another saw and have found the chain supplied with this saw stays sharp about the same. I cut through old hard wood, with dirt in the bark and dusting ants nests in the wood... the chain stays as sharp as I would expect in those harsh conditions. On the negative side, I do find the chain stretches easily and requires re-tensioning often... I'm not sure if this is the chain supplied or the bar and tensioner? I find I can go about half a tank of fuel or maybe a whole tank then I need to re-tension the chain. Not a big deal for me... I'll try a Carlton chain on the saw and update this review with the results.

The Chain Tension Screw...
Many reviews and videos point to the cheap tension screw. So far I haven't found this to be a problem, and it works fine... so far. I have a Ryobi 45cc chainsaw which has a very similar design and quality screw... if you want to see what this screw looks like... go to Bunnings and look at the Ryobi. Most chainsaw experts I've listened to tell me to lift the bar at the end when tightening the screw, when I do this the screw turns easily. I could see if you didn't lift the nose of the bar, the bar would put added pressure on the screw... causing it to fail. Just a theory.

Qualty
The plastic frame, handle etc is very sturdy... as good as Stihl Farmboss I have picked up. The choke knob seems a little cheap, and I am very gentle when pulling the choke out, feels like I might break it every time. So far it's ok.

Vibration
There is almost no vibration with this saw... it's very comfortable to hold. I have used the saw for hours with no problem. I can't imagine any saw being any better.

Starting
I follow the starting procedure and the saw starts with a few pulls every time. The E-start system is great.

In summary if you want a powerful saw without spending $1800 on a Husky or Stihl... go for it. I really like this saw, and if it lasts 3 or more years I'll get another one. Let's hope Edisons have a better air filter by then.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Cheapest on the market and works well (so far)

After returning my Ryobi chainsaw to Bunnings due to major faults, I decided to switch brands. I was hesitant to purchase this one as it was cheaper than Ryobi (despite better specs).

After 4 months of use, it functions as expected and was a creat purchase for $200.

Based on my experience i can recommend this product

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

You get what you pay for

I've had two of these now. Used the first one for about 2 years and was quite happy with it. Plenty of power. Couldnt get it to idle and run properly after that and just bought a new saw as it had done a fair bit of work. The second one I've had about 18 months and it is just starting to give trouble. Has a big flat spot when revving up and loses power and dies as soon as the chain touches wood. So......
The good- Very cheap, and so are the parts. Which is good. You will be needing them. When fairly new and running properly, they work very well and have plenty of power. Good value for money. If you have done a bit of work with them it is very tempting to just get another one at the first sign of trouble. You are getting a new bar and chain, and hopefully no problems for a while. And you will have the old one to strip for parts.
The bad- Nowhere near as long lasting or reliable as a Stihl or Husky (but far cheaper). Be prepared to be fiddling with them a bit when you had actually planned to be cutting wood.
Both my saws are the superceded model and had two main issues. They leak bar oil when left full of oil. Empty it after use. Ignition switches failed on both saws. Eventually gave up and just wired in a toggle switch I had in the shed rather than the genuine spare piece of [Word Removed].
So what you need to decide is whether you are happy with a saw that is cheap to buy and does the job well, but will give you problems at some stage. Or you are prepared to pay a (big) premium for reliability. The decision will often come down to how much you know about maintaining and fixing chainsaws yourself.
If you take the Baumr to your local mower shop for repairs and show it to the guy, he will look like he just stepped in a dog turd and want to show you all the new Stihls on his wall.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

its not a Stihl

mine has been very reliable , starts very easily , I used in the raid and buggered the ignition (my bad)
was to order part and fix ,went great again did plenty of work
then lent to son and the pull start was wrecked , it wasn't as good as a Sthil or Husky but is a fraction of their cost

Date PurchasedJul 2017

does not do what its supposed to do

used twice,would not start, found fuel hoses split. changed, found piston rings broken when changing hoses.changed rings still will not start, coil faulty. changed coil and spark plug, set has per manufactures settings.got spark still no joy. has anyone had same problem. mine,s gone to the chainsaw heaven. i suppose you get what you pay for......

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Was Terrible Now OK

I think it depends on who assembles your saw at the factory. Mine would start, run for 30 second and then stop. Found cylinder barrel loose, bolts hand tight. The plastic elbow for crankcase vacuum to carby had melted. I made a new elbow and fitted a new vacuum hose to carby. The pipe I used had thicker walls as the original looked as though it could close up under vacuum. Replaced the fuel line to the tank. It now runs well.
Greg303

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

8 years and still going strong

i've had my sx 62 for 8 years now and its still going strong its been used and abused all that time and won't die its been run over dropped out of trees had trees dropped on it and looks like a piece of crap and leaks bar oil but its still going i;ve replaced the clutch, pull start and chain brake over the years which amounts to about $60 which can be expected for the amount of work it has done for the price i payed i think it is pretty good value for money

Date PurchasedMar 2008

sx62 calamity of a piece of crap.. old one great.. new one dogs vomit

I've had buamrs for years and years two sx62 old ones and a sx66 which was my favourite .. This year I bought a new one and now it's going back to the only company I could buy it through as it didn't last two weeks of cutting light branches.. Funny enough when talking to the parts guy in Penrith nsw he said oh we never have any problems with this saw.. I said that's rubbish as parts wear out even on the better older saws which I've replaced over the time.. This new saw is going back and I won't be buying another one ever.. plus I paid heaps more for it than I should of.. Geoff is right they have gone for profit over product and in time they won't have either of any.. Good one Baumr ag pro.. Way to destroy a business..

Date PurchasedJul 2017

cheap saw

first saw sx62 I purchase the best cut a lot of hard wood jarrah(10tons a year) so brought second sx62 saw was rubbish now use as spare parts for first saw also brought a sx72 even more disappointing given I cut a lot of wood the first saw performance carried the other two saws . I say I am in front overall due to the fact the total purchase price of the three saws is about half of a good quality saw, neverless I have a old good quality saw as back up when I go bush

Date PurchasedFeb 2010

Baumr ag 62 cc

I bought this saw and i love it cuts so nice perfect to start i love it so much i bought a bigger one the 76 cc 24 inch bar its even better i would recommend this saw to anyone not over expensive and light weight love it love it

Date PurchasedMay 2017

I have a Baumr SX62 Mark 3 bought from Edison june 2016 that has cracked the cylinder head around the spark plug ,Edisons have used all sorts of avoidance regarding supply of a piston cylinder kit saying producers may not make this for older models yet the same saw is being sold now on their site ,they said try your local shop , send them photo of the saw to ID the right part, WHAT FOR ? I sent them SX62 what is a photo going to do when they have the info of when I bought it on their books, the only kit I can buy from Ebay is for a Baumr SX 58 cc , can anyone advise will it fit ? this is the second time I have tried for parts from Edisons and ran into the same trouble , to prove it pick something on your saw and try them, It was a good saw but maybe buy 2 and when trouble strikes us that one for spares as Edisons seem to be unreliable but show a big spare parts and support set up

What fuel does the sx62use
James.. Mate I do not know is it a two or four stroke. If 2 stroke what is the recommended fuel oil mix ratio could be 50:1 or 25:1 either way mix it with 91 uld is always sufficient. Baumre ag can be good if used and maintained according. I mean all lawn stuff does not matter really what brand most of it is all the same thing(Shit)91ULD 2 stroke mix 25:1

I have just bought a baumr long pole but the downloaded manual doesn't explain how to change head to line feed head?
Hi, I just checked the downloaded manual and it appears to explain on page 20 how to change to the bump-feed head. To be honest though I have used both that and the fixed line head and think the fixed one is far better. Cheers,

SX62