Black Hawk Original Dog Food

Lamb and Rice, Fish and Potato, Chicken and Rice

3.6

Mel Brisbane Aus

Mel Brisbane AusSouth East Queensland, QLD

Not like it used to be....

Myself and my Mum had always bought BLACK HAWK Dry Dog Food Adult Lamb And Rice For our Staffies. In late 2019 they did a product recall and stated it was a small batch that was affected. However, Our staffies barely touched their food since then. The bowl would be untouched most of the day (not like a staffy). So I finally decided to try a different dog food and he is back to scoffing his food as soon as he sees it. Just thought I would share my review in case anyone else was in the same situation. I thought my staffy was just getting old and fussy, but he just doesn’t like Blackhawk any more.

Darren Kelly

Darren Kelly

Dermatology friendly Dog Food

This combination of Fish and Potato has helped with our dogs both on the digestive and dermatological levels and recommend it for older dogs with this ailment, fur becomes softer and less itching.

Amy G.

Amy G.

Excellent Product

I have bred and shown dogs for over 20 years, our Boston Terriers love BlackHawk, they always look great on it and we always recommend it for our puppy buyers!

Purchased in February 2020.

Tracey

Traceywedderburn

This is my dogs fave

Occasionally I rotate to other high end brands but my Boxer loves Blackhawk both wet and dry. Pure ingredients, a complete food that I trust. It has many beneficial ingredients for coat and joints.

Purchased in January 2020 at Petbarn Online store for A$98.00.

Pet's Life StageSenior

Mixed results on Black Hawk

Purchased in November 2019 at Pet.co.nz for A$134.00.

dean

deanSydney, NSW

Avoid making our dog sick

Avoid all black hawk products - our dog has stomach issues and runny poo
and had to be admitted to emergency vet and we just received the bill and its over $2000 !!!!!
what a terrible product - just read alot of other reviews with same products
i am horrified

Naomi

Naomi

Quality has gone down hill!

Have always had my dog on the Black Hawk Chicken & Rice. Purchased it in November from Pet Circle and my dog was vomiting and had diarrhoea for over a week, as well as red spots all over his body. The vet thought it was skin allergies but as soon as we stopped black hawk, he was back to normal and didn’t have any of the above symptoms again! Not worth the stress, pain or money, would not recommend this brand again!

Purchased in November 2019 at Pet Circle.

J.A.S

J.A.SGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Concerned.

My dog has been sick a lot and reluctant in wanting to eat the Black Hawk lamb and rice kibble lately . He has had a lot of runny poo and throwing up his feed . I have been concerned after finding out a product recall of this brand. I may consider purchasing another brand.

Purchased in December 2019 for A$80.00.

Angi M.

Angi M.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Makes dogs sick- do not buy this product.

We just bought this brand of biscuits for our 2 bulldogs and theyve both had chronic diorrhea and 1 was vomiting in the middle of the night. I swapped to boiled chicken and rice for a week thinking they had a bug but as soon as they were back on these biscuits it happened again! I should have read the reviews before purchasing this product as it clearly is a common theme! Blackhawk you need to recall this item and do further testing on your product

Purchased in November 2019 at Pet Circle for A$99.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageSenior

Rachelle P.

Rachelle P.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Will never buy again

My Poodles tried it as per recommendation by one of the sales person from Pet Circle and made them poo everywhere around the house. I mean WET Poop .. I have never tried dry food that made them poop this bad! One also threw up in the middle of the night whilst the other two had a bad diarrhoea. I will just go back to Royal Canin Poodle. I will never buy any Black Hawk brand!

Purchased in December 2019 at Pet Circle for A$120.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StagePuppy/Kitten
Allie R.

Allie R.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Not a good product anymore.

My puppy was extremely ill after eating this food, pooing blood and vomiting for nearly three weeks. The vet suspected either giardiasis infection or an intolerance. Treatment for giardiasis did nothing, and after finishing the course she came off of plain boiled chicken and back onto the black hawk and is now ill again. Something has definitely changed with the formula. I also fed my cat their cat version and she was allergic to it.

Purchased in October 2019 at Pet Circle for A$105.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StagePuppy/Kitten
Eveth C.

Eveth C.Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Bully wouldn't eat it.

Ingredients were good for the price but my American bully wouldn't eat it! I have been trying on different brands of kibble and he has been eating well until this one. He has lost weight and inconsistent poos with this brand, particularly the one for large pups. Now I don't know what to do with a 18+kg bag of kibble.

Purchased in October 2019 at Pet Circle.

Side Effects Yes

Poo is soft and smells like hell

I have not tried other dog food. But I wonder if other dog foods when pooed is very nasty in smell. Also my dog often have no good consistency in the poo. Common that he gets very soft poo. I dont trust this brand, I feel that it only have good marketing.

Purchased in August 2019 at PetStock Physical store.

Smell
Pet's Life StagePuppy/Kitten
Carrieh

CarriehGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Clean bowl every night!

My dog loves this - scoffs it down every night. Just be careful what on the amount you feed the need less than Hill Science diet. I didn’t realise this until we checked after our dog put on weight.

Purchased in September 2019 at Pet barn for A$60.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

Moving to another brand!

Used to use meals for mutts but only changed to black hawk as it was hard to source in western Australia. Since using black hawk my dog's used to like it now they blatantly REFUSE to touch it!? They are both now itchy and have the back end squirts. Never had allergies before nor are they fussy dog's. I raw feed at night but in the morning they get a cup or dry with the raw feed mix.
But even the new puppy is now itchy, won't eat it and has the back end squirts!
Will Not support this brand anymore. Very disappointed to pay so much money for something such poor quality.
What other dog food can I try?

Purchased in January 2019 at PetStock Physical store for A$138.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

Iza Brown

Iza Brown

Top Notch Dry Dog Food

After having tried an array of quality dog food, Black Hawk stands out for its health, like and digest, ability. For fussy eaters and those amongst us who want our dogs to get the best meal product, then Black Hawk is the one!

Stephen

StephenGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great product, dogs love it but increasingly more expensive

This is one of the few products that will not upset my dogs tummies and is certainly easier than preparing it myself. Would otherwise rank as 5 stars but I have noticed the price steadily increasing across various suppliers in the last 12 to 18months

Purchased in August 2019 at Pet Circle for A$103.00.

Missc

MisscAustralia

Although it’s pricy, best food you can get for your dog.

Decided to try Blackhawk as with my previous dog I had him on supercoat - wish I had have tried it sooner! Due to passing of old mate to cancer we got the new puppy and decided to start him straight onto Blackhawk puppy chicken and rice. We mix it thru minced meat twice a day...He loves it!! He is one very healthy, strong pup! Although it’s pricy it is definitely worth it if you buy the large bags, lasts up to 6/7 weeks. Definitely recommend Blackhawk.

Purchased in July 2019.

Alison T.

Alison T.Mid North Coast, NSW

Black Hawk has everything my dog needs nutritionally ... my dog just loves the Black Hawk.

No adverse effects. My little bubble came to me one hell of a farting machine, different brands have not changed this ... advised this is an individual problem due to mixed breeding and it doesn’t matter what my dog is fed ... a minute or two walk in the yard clears any issues. Besides, the nightly fart is outweighed by the nutrition of Black Hawk.

Purchased in October 2017 at Petbarn for A$83.00.

Jac

JacHunter Region, NSW

Recommended by a family member who is a vet...but dogs won't touch these!!

Purchased on recommendation from our daughter a veterinarian. Sadly the dogs.. a pom and a moodle do not agree with her choice...can't get them to eat this no matter how much I try!!!

Purchased in January 2019 at Petbarn for A$34.99.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

Beth

Bethasked

Original Dog Food - Chicken and Rice

Can anyone explain why our 7 month old German Shorthaired Pointer is having digestive issues? We have given him Large Puppy Black Hawk since January (recommended from the breeder)

He’s never been right on it. Vomiting throughout the night, really bad smelly poo’s and massive too, itchy and he yawns heaps. I just thought that was all normal, as he’s young. Be getting advice from the vets too.

Now I’ve read all the reviews. I will be definitely taking him off this kibble and putting him on a raw feed diet.

I CAN’T HANDLE NO MORE VOMIT.

Craig W.

Craig W.asked

Original Dog Food

Hi can any tell me why after 5 months of using Black Hawk Large Puppy Dry Food my Bull Arab puppy is getting extra soft to watery poo we take him of the dry food put him on Turkey and rice his stool go back to normal .Return Black hawk food into his diet slowly and as soon as he is on just the dry food he get runny poo.Hre has been on the same food from day dot thganks

Marita B.
Marita B.

When we got our puppy the breeder had her on BlackHawk puppy and we continued with it but she started to go off it and got bad diarrhoea and scratching quite a lot. We switched to Performadog on vet recommendation. Started with 10% new food as well as boiled rice and small amount of old food and within two days having normal poos again and she is finishing all her food. Now feeding straight Performadog and she is much happier. Also only need half the quantity compared to BlackHawk and its an Aussie company & locally made.

Bayleeasked

Original Dog Food

My 4 month old lab has been on black hawk puppy and has developed bad diarrhoea that just wont quit.. have had her back at the vet twice and when we stop feeding the black hawk puppy dry food it clears up so must be the food. Has anyone else had tgis problem?

Marija
Marija

Hi,
Same here. Our 4-month-old lab has a very upset tummy when he eats Black Hawk. We were advised by the breeder to go for it but poor puppy has been twice to see a vet and it is was prescribed with special food that soothes his tummy.
Tried to put him back to Black Hawk and the problem comes back again. He is still on a special type of food and we are now thinking which one to use instead of Black Hawk. Any advice?

Hi
We have been using Royal Canin Hypoallergenic and the tummy problems have totally gone. We are going to try the blackhawk again after a full month on the RC and first sight of diarrohea returning it is going in the bin. I am going to try RC for labradors as my 2nd choice if the Blackhawk is a no.good. I am only trying it again as i have a $100 bag sitting there to use. RC have a guarantee to refund if food isn't suitable.
We were using chicken flavour and vet did say that puppies can be allergic to chicken due to the amount of hormones added to it these days.but the can grow out of it..
Good luck as we know there is nothing worse than a puppy with diarrhoea especially if you are house training.