7BMW 1 Series E81
Part of BMW 1 Series 3.7

BMW 1 Series E81 (2007-2011)

7BMW 1 Series E81

Manny6 posts
Gefahmy
Gefahmy

Luv it

Best handling ever for such amount of money. Very economy and cheap spare parts. You need a runway to enjoy it, only thing to have don't start race everyone as it will attract u to. Just need to have w speed tyres to be in safe

God bless

BMW ALWAYS

Show details

justice14
justice14AU3 posts

Ok for city living

We have had this car for 3 years now and don't really like it, but it does the job. You feel all the bumps in the road with this car. It's a bit pokey (the Hyundai which looks like it is much more roomier). Every time some red warning light is flashing in the car that is another $1000-$2000 we got to pay to get it fixed!! Not cheap. We appreciate the car much more when we can squeeze into a tight car spot!
Small, strong car (in accidents), easy to park
Hard suspension, expensive servicing Show details
Stephanie C
Stephanie CSydney7 posts

Lovely car!

I owned a BMW Series 118d Sports hatch when I lived in Europe and loved it. It's a really great car, which makes you enjoy driving to work. The start-stop system works great, and will automatically switch off the engine when you're in traffic. As soon as you touch the clutch the engine turns on automatically again. Really regret I didn't ship this car over when we moved to Australia, as they are way too expensive here!! :-(

Some options I really enjoyed:

- sunroof

- cruise control

- cupholders :-) (yes, this is an option for BMW!)

Too expensive in Australia!! Show details

mjc_777
mjc_777

Terrible

Shocking value, poorly put together. Service costs are high - $160 for windscreen wiper blades as an example. Dealers don't care as they are more interested in the top end of town. Buy an AUDI or the like.
The concept of a BMW in a hatch. Bluetooth, etc.
Overpriced with poor resale value. The reliability is shocking. For the first 6 months BMW had the car for longer than I did - windscreen leaks, window issues, road noise. Show details
leahcim_01
leahcim_01South East Queensland, QLD5 posts
  E81

Had 2005 model for over a year, no problems. The servicing I have had has not been near as expensive as I expected (though I didn't go to a BMW dealership). Not very powerful in automatic but is more than adequate for your every day driving. Nice and quiet on the highway.
Nice, quiet and refined. Excellent handling.
Ride is a little firm on some crappy roads but that is a trade off with the good handling. Show details
wickystar
wickystar
  E81

Good

Excellent. Have had mine for six months now, very reliable, great fuel consumption, looks great, has a great ride. Got it through broker for $5k less than caryards so shop around to get a good deal. BMW for entry-level price and low kms is difficult to find, the BMW 1 series offers this. Fun to drive!
Full leather interior, electric sunroof, great turning circle, acceleration, looks
Windscreen breaks if you let the windscreen wiper drop onto the screen, 2nd cup holder covered by arm rest Show details
heosat
heosat
  E81

A fantastic small car with just the right amount of bells and whistles. Overall I've had no problems with it after 5000km and I could be happier with my investment.
Pleasure to drive, good fuel economy, great turning circle
Minor body creaks when panels are heating and cooling down Show details
Hart
Hart2 posts

Tires

The tire size of the back and front are different. They are run flat tires and no spare is required. Due to the soft compound used you require new tires every 20000 km. One set $1600. Not cheap.
Reliable and safe. Good design.
Cost of service and repair. Show details

natural
natural · 1 Series E81 (2007-2011)

I'm considering a 2006 model 130i but am concerned about some road tests suggesting the ride is really harsh. I don't know whether this depends on the car having the M sport suspension package (can you get a 130i without that?) but not so long ago I sold a 325ti simply because the ride was uncomfortable (and it did have M sport suspension). Anyone care to offer an opinion on ride quality?

Steve K
Steve K
Rich

The run on flats we now have on our 2007 325i are Continentals. They are provide a much better ride quality than the original tyres. On the new 125i we have Pirelli run on flats - also provide a good ride quality.

Chris
Chris · 1 Series E81 (2007-2011)

Can you advise on oil smoke coming from my 2004 I20 exhaust on trailing throttle and long idle. The car has been doing this from say 70k .There is no loss of power. Any suggestions?

Thanks Chris

Manny

Hi Chris, my car doesn't blow smoke. it just leaks slowly (gasket/seal needs replacing) , however yours seems to be an issue within the engine and require a mechanic to troubleshoot.

Thanks Manny. I found through my research that BM's appear to be big oil users

Jenny Spencer
Jenny Spencer · 1 Series E81 (2007-2011)

We have a series 1 2009 E88 convertible with M3 sports kit that has 500000 Km. We have an issue with the radio that has just stop working, has come back on once and gone off again. BMW have reprogrammed radio with no fault found (radio was working at the time. Maybe fault within unit?). Carried out diagnosis test again when radio has gone off and no fault code shows up? The seat belt gong, reversing sensor, manual boot opening and radio is not working. Is this a software upgrade problem or something else?

AM
AM

Compare all BMW 1 Series listings
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $42,990$63,990
TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)Semi-Automatic
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrol
Engine3 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 2L
Max Power103kW @ 4200-6500rpm225kW @ 4500-6250rpm
Max Torque220Nm @ 1480-4600rpm450Nm @ 1750-5000
Country of ManufactureGermanyGermany
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release date