BMW 1 Series E87

BMW 1 Series E87 (2004-2011)

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Matt

MattAU

Excellent car - very reliable

Excellent car. Very reliable and economical, It has plenty of torque and smooth ride for long trips. Rear leg room is a bit tight. My car has been driven over 180K and I had to clean the intake manifold and replace the DPF. Use after market as BMW charges $3 to 4K for a replacement. Ali Express and eBay has many vendors of people selling DPF's. I have had the car regularly serviced and it has been very reliable. City economy is around 6.5 to 7.5 L/100.
Highway at 110 kmh is around 5.2 to 5.6 L/100 depending on road surface, winds and rain.

Badge123d
Line(No Line)
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedDec 2010

Georgina

GeorginaPERTH

Love this car

Always been a fan of European vehicles, so glad I purchased this car. It is very reliable, and is super fuel efficient. I used to have a petrol Fiesta and I spent $70 a week on fuel, now I only spend $70 a fortnight!!! Very spacious in the back for a hatchback so it is fine with the kids. Has never given me any issues, and is really zippy and quick off the mark. Love it!!

Badge120d
LineM Sport
TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedOct 2017
EmD

EmDPerth

Awesome driving experience

If you want a rear wheel small hatchback with plenty of refinement, comfort, safety then consider a BMW 1 series. I had a 2005 120i and it was economical, reliable and incredibly enjoyable to drive. The rear wheel drive enhanced the feel of stability on the road. Servicing cost were within normal limits for car the same age. A very fun,stylish and refined driving experience

Badge120i
LineSport
Engine Size1.6
TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedNov 2016

Simon66Adelaide

Great handling, otherwise rubbish. Dont buy the hype about German Engineering...get a Toyota or Mazd

Badge120i
Line(No Line)
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedMay 2015

Michael C.

Michael C.asked

Hi fellow BMW drivers, I have a 2008 120i 5dr hatch and it has only done 71,000km. I have had it for a year now and recently I noticed it has a blue-ish smoke from the exhaust upon take off only. Do you know what this could be? I'm really concerned as it has low km's. I love the car and am very happy with it. Thanks, Michael.

Karen Shep
Karen Shep

No I don't have that??? Do you get it serviced with BMW? Karen

Simon66

I have an 2005 e87 120i with 140k on the clock. Just started blowing smoke in a big way after sitting at traffic lights for a bit. That's usually Valve Stem seals. PCV valve is another potential failure point. Google 120i problems you'll be horrified with the problems these things have. Seriously these things are rubbish, had to replace my differential at 85k. It leaks oil from the sump gasket, from the o rings on the solenoids in the front of the head, and water from the back of the engine. They're a fantastic thing to drive...but like most Bimmers once out of warranty they're a disaster.

Get an answer from our members and BMW representatives