See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Beautiful to drive, an absolute horror to repair

I bought an 2005 X5 for my very first car. I bought it for an absolute steal and fell in love with it from day 1. Before owning my X5 I drove a 2008 V8 Troopy so it was a big difference. ;)

I am currently trying to sell it after owning it for a year and a half and clocking up about 55 000 km's on it because I cannot keep up with the cost of repairs.

Barely a month into owning it I had to spend about $2500 on it, something about oil in the radiator and the death of the alternator. After this I was just happy to get back in my darling car and thought surely nothing else would go wrong. Turns out just about everything has gone wrong. Lets list them:

- Transmission leak (turned out to be just a seal, phew) about $900 to fix
- I have had all four control arms replaced- about $200 each for parts and labour
- Window regulator $250 (with out labour)
- Window clips for passenger window- only $20 per clip
- Three out of four door handle mechanisms which are approximately $160 each for parts
- Replaced the back wiper $150
- Exhaust manifold (a big $1500 just for the part)
- Air bag light
- Front bushes
- Problem with the window control on drivers side
- Sway bar links (twice in less than two years, however the first time the parts were wrong and didn't even last a year).
These are the repairs I can recall, there are probably a few I haven't included.

Now, although I have just forced you to never ever buy an 2005 X5, I cannot tell you how beautifully it drives. Even after all the repairs and the torment from mechanics who are not European specialists I will miss it when it's gone. It drives like an absolute dream when it's in good nick (haha ;)), it has exceptional handling on and off road. The braking system is brilliant and pulls up with grace. I lost control once in the wet and it pulled me up with traction control before I fully came to the conclusion that I had lost control. And, it has a great amount of grunt perfect for taking off safely at intersections, round abouts and lights and merging onto the highway. Now, the stereo system is probably my favourite thing about this car, perfect for me with the kilometres I travel every week.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. This car is for someone who can afford repairs every second day, even simple repairs add up and a trip to the mechanics is always a good thousand.

2. DO NOT GO TO A REGULAR MECHANIC FOR REPAIRS unless, they are your best friend. I went through about four regular mechanics before I found a European specialist who was honest and told me exactly what was wrong with my car without putting me down for buying a BMW or charging me through (I'd say he often undercharged me for the effort he put in). He has been my saviour, without him I probably would have left my X5 on the side of the road a long time back. So, don't go to a regular mechanic. Mostly, they don't know what they are doing or, they hate Euro cars and will charge through the roof and treat you horribly. I had one mechanic who made me cry, another who put the wrong parts in my car and a third who lied and charged me through the roof. So, I suggest you find a specialist mechanic.

4. It is extremely comfortably, sometimes too comfortable when you are exhausted. My passengers often nap during drives home. Also the boot space is incredible. Five stars for comfort and boot space.

3. It just drives like a dream, if you can afford repairs buy one.

4. Research the little red light that appears on the dash beside the tripmeter, it indicates the speedo or the light controls have been replaced which means your car could have a lot more KM's on it than you thought. Mine has the red dot.

5. Buy one with all the books. I bought mine without books and I can say I will never buy one without books ever again.

6. Be careful, take it easy. As previously mentioned the grunt this car has can force you to speed without even knowing it. You'll be cruising along the highway when suddenly you look down and realise you are doing a good 20-30km's over the posted speed limit. This is where cruise control comes in handy.

6. The tyres are a slight nightmare. The fronts and backs are two different sizes and just a bit dear. I can only ever afford the cheapest ($850 for a set, that's the cheapest...). My last pair of back tyres didn't even last 10 000 kms. The pressure often drops in them and it needs checking monthly. It also often needs a wheel alignment. If the pressure drops and you don't know they push in around corners and on round abouts and they start to wear on the inside and before you know it you have to replace all four tyres which still have perfectly good tread on the outer tyre and no tread on the inner. So, always check your pressure and get regular wheel alignments to avoid replacing tyres regularly.

7. This is all coming from experience but, it doesn't mean all X5's are the same as mine. Like I said, mine had no books and could have done a lot more KM's than I am aware of.

I hope you enjoy the review and it gave you some insight into the nitty gritty of owing an older X5.

Purchased in January 2018.

Year2005
Comfort

Awesome car, the best I've owned

I purchased this SUV in March 2019 as a replacement for my 2014 X5 F15 30d, and I am surprised how much it has been improved.
I use this vehicle for commuting to work every day, and as my familys primary weekender/holidays car including towing a small boat.
This vehicles ride is extremely smooth, and surprisingly soft - given it came with M-Sport package and 21" wheels. Cabin noise is very low, especially on the highway/freeway, however I think the Pirelli tyres are more the source of the noise than the road surfaces I travel on. I'll definitely be switching to Michellans or Bridgestone tyres in the near future.
The interior is amazing - very impressive in terms of layout, functionality and quality. The digital displays are great with all information displayed clearly and at hand to the driver and front passenger - the head-up display with speed recognition and warning is amazing, as is the large touch screen display on the dash which supports multiple pages/screens like a tablet PC. The internal ambient LED lighting is very impressive and can be selected from white/blue/green/orange/mauve. The sun-roof is truly panoramic - nice and big, its almost like driving a convertible - great when you're driving on a road which has a forest canopy. The leather seats are high quality, very comfortable, soft yet supportive - so going for long drives is a pleasure and you get out still feeling fresh.
The engine and transmission is very smooth, and has been vastly improved over the last model - which I find extraordinary as I didn't believe much could be improved over the last. Gear changes are silky smooth, quiet and seamless. Fuel economy is also surprising, and to date I get better mileage per tank than the previous model, even though this new model is larger and slightly heavier. The amazing thing is how quiet the engine and exhaust system has made this car - its hard to believe its a Diesel.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this vehicle, I think this one might be a keeper for the longer term.

Purchased in March 2019 at Doncaster BMW.

BoughtNew
Year2018

Lemon Car

only prestige looking - otherwise LEMON CAR - will run first 40-50 000 kms without a problem and then issues coming as one behind behind - very bad lot of problems end up with expensive repairs and maintenance

Purchased in March 2016 for $100,500.00.

BoughtNew
Year2015
Comfort

This car puts a smile on my dial every time I drive it

2011 X5 5.0i 8 speed XDrive 400 bhp M sport package....what a car, full options $165k drive away.
I use it every day for work commute and family holidays, towing boat (wouldn't even know it was there) and general pleasure. Average 14L per 100kms around town so if you do a lot of kms either be rich or this car is not for you. The 4.4L V8 is a dream but NOTE: Do not buy one unless it has had the complete factory re-build of motor under warranty. These cars were re-called all over the world by BMW but not here in Australia for some reason, outrageous actually because we are talking about 16K of work for something that was entirely their fault.
It does 0-100K's in just over 5 seconds which for a car that heavy is impressive and pins you to the seat. Run flat tyres 20" can be a bit harsh on rough roads and the continental ones can't be repaired ($550 each). When time to change get Bridgestones ($400 each) as they are reparable. All that aside, I love this car and the sound of the V8 when you put your foot down is a delight!

Purchased in June 2018 for $27,000.00.

Year2011

I love my bmw f15 x5 30d

I bought my x5 fi5 30d brand new 3 years ago have done 60,000 km have not had a single problem
I drive it every day I did buy the service package which I think was a good idea probably after the warrenty expires I will get it serviced privately as the dealers are very expensive before this car I had a 2009 x5 e70 also very good .There is something special about bmw I really enjoy the brand.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Drive4WD

Not that good

Drives well but steering wheel was stiff from the first year and BMW said its normal as the car is heavy and it has gotten worst. Not a good excuse.
Had failed with rubber sealing the tail light. It had let the rain water in the car without us noticing from the booth all the way to the front of the car. Damage all the computers and it cost $40 k to fix.
Plastic and Rubbers on the car definitely not suitable for Australian sun as they have all either discoloured, cracked or even melted gradually and they are very expensive to replace, unless you are parking in the garage all the time. Even BMW badge has been disintegrated and peeled off. Wiper blades weren’t good from second year and I still haven’t replaced them. Most of the problem I have experienced was due to rubbers failing hence creating massive problems.
Engine leaked from year 3 onward and still leaks today very expensive to diagnose and fix.
In 2015 plastic on engine overhead had also cracked letting rain water in. Had to replace the whole sunroof mechanism and gasket and lot of other affected parts total bill $13 k.

BadgexDrive30d Executive
Date PurchasedFeb 2008
Drive4WD

It is hard to drive anything else now...

This is my second X5 and I have to say driving anything else is a pain. The car is quiet, accelerates aggressively when you want it too, comfortable and has all the trimmings you would expect from BMW. I hire a lot of cars when I travel for work, and getting into Toyota, Holden, Ford, Kia or something else is like stepping back in time. I got all my servicing including in my package and the people at West Coast BMW treat you like a friend.

BadgexDrive40d
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Classic BMW

This is my first BMW, after driving Mitsubishi, Toyota and Mazda. The driving experience is a pleasure, and despite being a diesel has much more get up than my previous petrol Prado. Mine is a 7 seater, which is OK for children/teenagers in the back row, not so good for a full size adult. Whiie the white leather was a concern at first, it is easy to clean, and the instruments are well laid out. i really like the heads up display for speed and nav.
The service costs have been reasonable, and any non warrant parts have been purchased offline for much cheaper than the dealer.The head up display is the best I have seen with directions, music, telephone and speed listed. The harman/kardon sound system is noticeably better than my friend's Meridian. The leather is a bit rough but it has been hard wearing. The xenon headlights are very very good. The panoramic roof has been flawless. The auto braking has been useful on several occasions.

BadgeM
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJan 2013

BMW X5

We purchased our dream BMW x5 Diesel in 2003 brand new- at 121,786 KM the gearbox failed and had to be replaced! BMW would not replace the gearbox, we where charged $5497.01 even though it is a known problem.(wish we knew about it before we purchased) We were informed that this was guaranteed never to happen again!! Well, it has the gearbox has failed again at 256624km so BMW was contacted again and refused to replace the gearbox. We were left facing a new cost of Just over $8000 we decided to speak to the dealer principal at Auto Classic, he agreed that this was terrible and offered us a discount it ended up costing $5345.48.The point being BMW do not look after their clients, well maybe if you turn your cars over every two to three years- clearly not when you buy a car and keep it. It's sad when you think you're buying the best and it turns out to be a LEMON!!! and the company does not care. This is not the only problem we have had there are too many to mention. Why are we still driving this car, well we could not sell to another person knowing all its faults!

Date PurchasedSep 2003

Great car, hard to fault.

I've had my X5 for nearly 3 years from new and it has been faultless. That doesn't mean it isn't perfect - there are a few areas that let it down. The car is great and hard to fault but it really is just a good all rounder. There is nothing that it really nails above the GLE or Q7.

The steering feels a bit lifeless for a BMW, part of the dash where the silver trim under the passenger airvent meets the rest of the dash is slightly out of alignment (seen several others plus X6s with the same misalignment) and the M-sport suspension can crash against potholes really harshly.

The fuel economy hovers around the mid 8s consistently with mixed city and highway driving.

The servicing was included as part of a corporate pack so I can't comment on price. We have always been offered a courtesy car while the servicing has occurred.

Overall I can easily recommend this car. I intend to get another when the new shape comes out. It isn't the most thrilling car to own and drive but it's definitely a very good allrounder.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Superb drive but lots of little issue

Solid car and a great drive but get used to replacing / fixing parts. 2006 diesel now has 200000km. Recent issues include window regulator clips, low beam and angel eye bulbs, door handle carriers, alternator brushes. Don't waste money on mechanics, just get the parts on ebay and google how to fix and replace. Unbelievable economy for a large heavy car. Plenty of room and excellent for long drives.

Badged
Date PurchasedJul 2015

Great luxury car

The driving experience is amazing not much noise, easy to handle and great performance. The interior in mine is cream and it looks amazing I also have great legroom and the dashboard is very fancy. This is where the bad part comes it is really expensive to maintain i.e, fuel, oil, maintenance, brakes and etc. are super costly.

BadgexDrive35d
Date PurchasedApr 2014

Good car, expensive to maintain

I have a Twin Turbo Diesel X-drive 35d. The handling, cornering and comfort is fantastic. The steering can feel a bit heavy but when you are driving in a long stretch of road, you will be thankful for the steady drive.
The only issue I have is the running costs. If you can afford around $2000 per year on maintenance alone, then enjoy the ride!

BadgexDrive35d
Date PurchasedJun 2017

Classic BMW...

The original X5 has the classic BMW lines, smart but understated by today's standards. I have driven and cared for this car since new for almost 17 years and it has not disappointed. In fact, it looks and drives like brand new. It does require maintenance which is not always cheap, especially when taken to a BMW workshop. Many repairs require special tools that some other workshops do not have, so you don't always have an option. Tyres may also set you back almost $2500 if you have the sports version. Whilst I perform some repairs myself, the nature of the electronics are fiddly, but there are great forums online solving almost any problems you may encounter. Spare parts can be outrageously expensive, but this is hardly news. If you are looking for a car that is cheap to run, don't bother. Average fuel consumption is around 14 L/100km and insurance companies still charge a premium due to the high repair costs. Some spare parts are now becoming a rarity with many being discontinued, but the second hand market and non-OEM imports on places like E Bay offer good value. If you want to fall in love with a car and are prepared to spend some money, this is the one. It drives like a dream and has basic luxuries that may seem outdated, but it is the simplicity in design and concept as well as the build-quality that makes this car such a pleasure to drive. I wouldn't swap mine for any other car...

Badgei
Date PurchasedDec 2001

It's like a small car in a big shell

Easy to drive with its awesome power steering. My wife is a very short woman but she drives this car like a small sedan. The vehicle itself xdrive30d has a powerful engine and you can really feel the power. The seats are comfortable and the ride is smooth. The GPS screen is massive and ever since the first day we owned this vehicle, there has not been any issues.

Date PurchasedMar 2011

A pleasure to drive!

The driving experience is absolutely brilliant! The car runs smooth and has many features like inbuilt navigation, TV, Radio, emergency contact services and etc. The X5 is a great car overall with a nice and stylish interior and a nice SUV outer body which makes it look a lot more elegant.

Date PurchasedMar 2013

Excellent features and build quality

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Great when new, would not buy again

I've had my 2003 3.0D since 2007 with 100,000k on the clock, it now sit on around 300,000. At around 140,000k I replaced the turbo, a $5k repair, at the 165,000 the fuel pump went so another $3k repair bill, at around the 180,000 had to replace the transmission which cost just tad under $7k. When getting the vehicle serviced by BMW, be prepared for the costly exercise. Nothing comes cheap for this car. I personally replaced the whole suspension on the vehicle for a 1/10 the cost that BMW where going to charge as well as doing the servicing myself. Also have replaced the A/C unit, door handle drivers side, window winder drivers side, expansion tank, power steering hoses, Steering joints and torsion bars, brake pads and rotors. You can learn all there is to know by googling what you need to do.
The car is a nice vehicle inside and out, there is just way too much plastic on it, which as time goes by breaks, and as I said before nothing is cheap for this car, your best bet is to buy parts from ebay and do the job yourself saving yourself a fair bit of change.
If your going to buy yourself one, don't buy 2nd hand as the running cost will hurt your wallet in more ways then one.
If I had my time again I would of just brought a new one and traded it in every 2 to 3 years, but now I drive this old girl till she goes no more.

Purchased in May 2006.

Year2003

BMW X5

s25d have twin turbo engine and power is excellent considering the size of engine. Also s25d is very fuel efficient
I have a lot of fun to drive this car and BMW service is also excellent. And shape of the car is very attractive. The light is so bright at night.

BadgesDrive25d
Date PurchasedApr 2015

DON'T BOTHER

This car was great until the kms crept up. Once it hit 200,000km then everything started breaking. Fair enough, the car's done a lot of kms, but the cost to replace the parts is insane! I've always serviced the car with a specialist repairer (not BMW as they charge like wounded bulls), and I've always looked after the car.
If you're looking for a great 4WD then I wouldn't say not to buy an X5 but don't buy one second hand if it's got a few kms on the odometer. They're just not worth the massive repair bills !!! It would be cheaper to buy a new Aussie made 4WD.

BadgexDrive30i Executive
Date PurchasedSep 2007

My E70 3.0 SD X5 loses power after a long trip , I can still drive it but when I depress accelerator the response is poor , like no boost

Hi my 2007 BMW x5 3.0 d cuts off while driving. I replaced all fuel related sensors, fuel regulator, fuel pressure, fuel measure and the fuel pump. But it still do the same. It will start and cuts off after some few minutes. It shows the low battery warning signs and lose time and date. Can a low battery cause the car to cut off while running? Please help I am frustrated

Where is the ignition coil situated in a bmw x5 e70 3.0sd?
Its diesel,it has no ignition coil. It has glow plugs insted of spark plugs.

X5 G05 xDrive30dX5 G05 xDrive40iX5 G05 xDrive50iX5 G05 M50dX5 E70X5 F15 sDrive25dX5 F15 xDrive25dX5 F15 xDrive40dX5 F15 xDrive35iX5 F15 MX5 F15 xDrive30dX5 F15 xDrive50iX5 F15 M50dX5 E53
Starting Price $112,990$115,990$143,619$149,900$93,990$91,155$124,990$109,615$112,990$143,619$144,990
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselPetrolPetrolDieselDieselDieselDieselPetrolDieselPetrolDiesel
Wheels20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy22" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy19" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars
Doors555555555555
Seats555555555555
Fuel Consumption7.2 L/100km9.2 L/100km10.5 L/100km7.5 L/100km5.5 L/100km5.6 L/100km6.3 L/100km8.5 L/100km6.2 L/100km10.5 L/100km6.7 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 80 L83 L85 L80 L85 L85 L85 L85 L85 L85 L85 L85 L
Engine6 Cylinder 3.0L6 Cylinder 3.0L8 Cylinder 4.4L6 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L6 Cylinder 3.0L6 Cylinder 3.0L6 Cylinder 3.0L8 Cylinder 4.4L6 Cylinder 3.0L
Max Power195kW @ 4000rpm250kW @ 6500rpm330kW @ 6000rpm294kW @ 4400rpm170kW @ 4400rpm170kW @ 4400rpm230kW @ 4400rpm225kW @ 6000rpm190kW @ 4000rpm330kW @ 6000rpm280kW @ 4400rpm
Max Torque620Nm @ 2000-2500rpm450Nm @ 1500-2500rpm650Nm @ 2000-4500rpm760Nm @ 2000-3000rpm500Nm @ 1500-3000rpm500Nm @ 1500-3000rpm630Nm @ 1500-2500rpm400Nm @ 1200-5000rpm560Nm @ 1500-3000rpm650Nm @ 2000-4500rpm740Nm @ 2000-3000rpm
Country of ManufactureUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited StatesUnited States
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), Lane Assist, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), Lane Assist, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), Lane Assist, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), Lane Assist, Reversing Camera and Traction Control
Extra Features 360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Seats, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control
Ground Clearance500 mm500 mm500 mm500 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg3,500 kg2,700 kg2,700 kg2,700 kg2,700 kg2,700 kg2,700 kg2,700 kg2,700 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateNov 2018Nov 2018Nov 2018Nov 2018Mar 2007Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Mar 2014Apr 2015Nov 2013Nov 2013Nov 2013Nov 2000
Discontinuation dateOct 2013Oct 2018Oct 2018Oct 2018Oct 2018Oct 2018Oct 2018Oct 2018Oct 2018Dec 2006