BMW X5 E70

• Comfort
BCJ

BCJSydney, NSW

Second X5, great car

This is the second E70 I’ve had - the first was a 2007 and this is the facelift 2011. Same look but quite a remarkable difference in ride, steering, and tech. Heads up display, 3 cameras, etc, all pretty advanced for 2011. It’s a good car to drive, a bit hard and some road noise but handling is good. Incredibly reliable. Between the two cars and over 100,000 km I’ve only had two problems - one where the belt pulley sheared off, another the iDrive button had to be replaced (all on the 2007 model). Other than that, very reliable.

Purchased for A$32,000.00.

Year2011
Hunter

Hunter

Rubbish under luxury shell

tryingtoslowdown

tryingtoslowdownCentral Queensland, QLD

Still in love

Bought a 2013 35d, we have done 60.000ks in about 18 months taking it to 190,000 on the clock, its such a great car, that's an understatement, the power and torque allows towing a large float loaded effortless, and extremely economical, my wife gets around 1000ks per tank (me about 800ks) but you can really hoof it and it takes corners better than most small cars I have owned, I change the oil every 10,000ks. the runflats wear quick but if you want a 2500 ton vehicle to handle like a sports car suck it up or put normal tyres on it and buy a spare like one of my mates did.

Purchased in March 2018 for A$35,000.00.

Year2013

Matt C

Matt CSydney, NSW

This car puts a smile on my dial every time I drive it

Purchased in June 2018 for A$27,000.00.

Year2011

Not that good

BadgexDrive30d Executive
Date PurchasedFeb 2008
Drive4WD
Arsh G

Arsh GPerth, WA

Good car, expensive to maintain

I have a Twin Turbo Diesel X-drive 35d. The handling, cornering and comfort is fantastic. The steering can feel a bit heavy but when you are driving in a long stretch of road, you will be thankful for the steady drive.
The only issue I have is the running costs. If you can afford around $2000 per year on maintenance alone, then enjoy the ride!

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Melbourne Australia

Melbourne AustraliaMelbourne

It's like a small car in a big shell

Easy to drive with its awesome power steering. My wife is a very short woman but she drives this car like a small sedan. The vehicle itself xdrive30d has a powerful engine and you can really feel the power. The seats are comfortable and the ride is smooth. The GPS screen is massive and ever since the first day we owned this vehicle, there has not been any issues.

Date PurchasedMar 2011
Shubh

Shubhperth

A pleasure to drive!

The driving experience is absolutely brilliant! The car runs smooth and has many features like inbuilt navigation, TV, Radio, emergency contact services and etc. The X5 is a great car overall with a nice and stylish interior and a nice SUV outer body which makes it look a lot more elegant.

Date PurchasedMar 2013
trievalot

trievalotAdelaide

Excellent features and build quality

This is my first BMW, after driving Mitsubishi, Toyota and Mazda. The driving experience is a pleasure, and despite being a diesel has much more get up than my previous petrol Prado. Mine is a 7 seater, which is OK for children/teenagers in the back row, not so good for a full size adult. Whiie the white leather was a concern at first, it is easy to clean, and the instruments are well laid out. i really like the heads up display for speed and nav.
The service costs have been reasonable, and any non warrant parts have been purchased offline for much cheaper than the dealer.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

lyh3

lyh3Melbourne

Bought the BMW X5 six years ago brand new and...

Date PurchasedJan 2011
HoneyJoy

HoneyJoyVictoria

Still loving my 5 series diesel wagon.

Just thought it worth saying that this car is still as good as the day I bought it. Amazing fuel consumption. Sometimes I forget about it all together. It's weeks between fills. It is very comfortable to drive. Some people find the controls a little odd, but I'm used to it. Still looks good after 4 years. This car just makes me happy.

Badged
Mark

MarkMelbourne

Disappointed

Badged
deleted

deletedBrisbane

Smooth drive

At the start of this year I thought I tried BMW because Toyota had failed me. It is fantastic and always drives a smooth as a car can get. Some cars drive like trucks but this BMW is as sensational as you can get. The service is great and they are always happy to give a helping hand. So Toyota is my 1 stop car shop for everything cars!

graham p

graham p

Great drive

I have just reluctantly sold my 2012 X5 with sports/innovations packages. Car purchased new in July 2012. (This was my second x5 with first being 2009 model with same engine but with 6 speed auto which was nowhere near as good as the 8 speed). Excellent drive with crisp handling for a car of this size and weight.very comfortable long range tourer but ride a bit rough on secondary roads due to sports suspension and low profile runflats. Have had no real problems with either x5 with servicing covered under service package which I recommend if available. Very professional treatment from the service team at Westside BMW who I would recommend highly.

lakisjoannou

lakisjoannou

I love my black X5 40D 7 seater, bought new 11/2010 ex demo.

BadgexDrive40d Sport

David_Mc

David_Mc

2008 E70 X5 3.0sd

BadgeSD
anders

andersSydney

BMW X5 30D 2011

We love this stylish SUV, look better than the ML or the RRS we had considered.
Driving was joyful, the cargo space was large, and I can leave the HUD now.
The 30d diesel was very powerful, 8 Speed gearbox made it run very smooth, you won't notice this is a car weighing 2 tons.

Rachel Clarke

Rachel ClarkeSouth Australia, 5000

Love this car

I used to have this car and I still miss it. Very comfortable and smooth drive. Good leg space and ultimate car for the family. Fantastic shockers and mid blowing for long drives. Recommended to everyone - don't think just buy. Maintenance is expensive but you know you need to maintain.

Ali

Ali

Mostly Very Happy

BadgexDrive35i
Edmundo1503

Edmundo1503Sydney

Engine Problems After 100k KMs.

Bought a 2007 3.5D about a year ago. We bought it at 80,000kms and it was fine. We had a log book with the car so we knew it was well looked after. However after about 6 months, the problems started appearing. The engine started leaking oil. We took it to a mechanic and they said it was due to the rubber seals being worn out and was a typical BMW problem. We spent around 1k on this and the oil leaks stopped. A few weeks later, the engine sounded different and turned out it needed another piece of rubber replaced. You'd think with the amount of money one spends on a BMW, they would spend more money on rubber!
Good brand
Engine bad build

AJOSH

AJOSHasked

X5 E70 (2007-2013)

Driving BMW X5 3.0SI since 4 months, after slowing it down came to stop at signal, suddenly car shuts off and automatically shifts to neutral. shits scary as i was in the traffic. again i started it and put in D mode.
Happened with anyone here please suggest.. this is for 2 -3rd time..

Lucas G.

Lucas G.asked

X5 E70 (2007-2013)

The car will drive for a short distance and switches off, when started for the first after switch off it does not start but only start on the second try, but when gear is engaged it switch off. After a 3 hour period of waiting the car will move, and it will repeatedly continue the same with faulty. Please advise?

Richard Walker

Richard Walkerasked

X5 E70 (2007-2013)

My BMW X5 3.5 D E70 XDrive MY 2009 has just completed 150,000 km and has a big end bearing and con rod failure in No 3 cylinder . It was bought new and has been serviced by BMW all of its life .Prior to this happening it was making a squealing noise for a few seconds when cold and the particulate filter light warning came on. I reported this to BMW and they changed the glow plugs but could not identify the cause of the squealing . I expected this engine to last at least 300,000 kms if not more. Has anyone else encountered a big end bearing failure ?