Bupa Health Insurance

Bupa Health Insurance

Recommended for a fair price

Shrivani was very informative and friendly with her customer service.
Michael was also very informative and friendly with his customer service. Both have excellent customer service skills. Well done to both of them

Seek alternative providers

Taking Australia Insurance Industry reform as an excuse, Bupa added to the list of exclusions which I was previously entitled to. I Joined Bupa as my employer provides subsidy through Bupa and I paid high premiums on top of that for more than 6 years. Recently, they have excluded Hip and Knee replacement and cataracts treatment from my entitlement, while significantly increasing my premiums. Called their call center and was on the phone for more than half an hour, only to listen to the same excuse that "we did this for the interest of our customers so they pay lower premiums!". Not only they dropped my entitlement, they now ask me to move to the higher level Gold cover, pay more, and also have 12 months waiting period for what I should be entitled and have paid in excess of 30 K in the past 6 years. I will switch to another Insurance provider and have also reported them to our company admin and recommended to seek an alternative.

Book AgainNo

Why have a customer centre if there is never enough people to meet demand

Turned up again today, exactly midday (I work) to beat the rush - finally seemed to be only a few people in front. Waited for a while, nothing, so having supplied my phone number to notify when they are ready, went to Dymocks where I spent a lovely 15 minutes browsing for a book I did not need - went back, still same queue length, went to Pavement and reviewed every item of clothing - went back and still same queue length. Asked a Bupa person how many people were working, she was off to lunch which left two, told me to try the booth of ground floor. Went down, two people, no queue after two clients finished, which they did but customer person told me he couldn't serve me because he had been called upstairs because (drum Roll) they were busy. FFS please get your customer service servicing - will now do my own comparison and hopefully find a better option That.is.not.Bupa

Book AgainNo

When you come across a good thing.......stick to it!!!

I recently joined Bupa and had an appointment with the dental clinic at Liverpool. I am so pleased to advise how extremely impressed and satisfied I am with the reception staff, Dr Komal Jaiswal and his assistant. The surgery is very impressive with the latest equipment, clean comfortable and inviting and Dr Komal is one of the kind!! He is caring, informative, patience and listens.
I was so happy to have him look after me and I'm lucky he is my dentist!

Claim MadeNo

Cover was ok, premium got too high, cancelling was a most unfriendly experience

No problems with cover. After research I found a similar coverage for about $1000 pa less. Only wish I had investigated the market options years ago. Cancelling the policy ended up being a totally rude and unfriendly experience. Avoid BUPA like the plague or even if you have the plague

Coverage TypeCouple

Happy with my cover

I have been with bupa since I was born (over 26 years now) and have had a couple issues but have for the most part have had good service especially in regards to claims. Always had top hospital and top extras. Was a very sick child and had everything covered. I’ve now had 2 surgeries in the last 5 years both totally covered with my choice of providers. Fantastic since I live in a rural area they also covered some travel costs. I have unlimited dental cover and a good amount for physio, acupuncture and optical. I have had issues with them accidentally canceling my cover when I was a student 3 years in a row even though I had never missed a payment and also some issues with them not updated my cover to remain top in everything when my old cover became redundant but I have found if you check once a year to make sure you’re still getting the best deal and they haven’t get a new plan that’s better then you can be assured your getting a fair go. Sure health insurance is expensive but i’d Rather pay 3k a year then have to wait 2+ years in the public system.

Horrible service

Been with Bupa just over a month and all I can say is what a joke for a company. I have now cancelled anything to do with Bupa they have absolutely no idea how two communicate to there customer's or themselves for that matter.

Rip off

I have paid $5700 in premiums since I joined in 2017. A few weeks ago I had to see a doctor with emergency condition. It was a public holiday, all GP practices were closed. I went to emergency at Sandrinham hospital. I paid 580 being said I can claim that back. After processing my claim Bupa reimbursed 215. It’s s joke. Rip off. They are taking high premiums and return peanuts. Don’t join. I will discontinue my membership.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Bupa cuts my services again and increased premium. It’s time we use our financial power and leave in droves

I have just received a letter stating yet more cuts to the services I can claim on and an increase to my premium. I have been with Bupa for 20 years, but it’s time I look for a better deal. After the cuts last year and now this new round of cuts, it’s clear you are greedy Bupa. You will regret not looking after your loyal customers. Goodbye.

Book AgainNo

Not good value for extras

Extras cover repays on a very small percentage of your costs (around 20%) unless you use one if their "members first " affiliated providers (in which case you can get 60% back). This leaves very little choice as the selection is tiny (even in hobart ) and I find it hard to find a good provider for half my extras because of this. We won't stick with BUPA. We found NIB extras gives a back 60% from the provider of your choice every time. Much better.

Plan CoverageExtras Only

Bupa Targets the Elderly

Have been with Bupa for decades. They have advised me that they are once again increasing my premiums and decreasing my benefits. As I am old, they are decreasing the benefits I am likely to require e.g. hip replacements and the like just as I am needing them. They told me if i want this cover now I will have to increase my premiums by over 40% and wait one year for the benefit to be available. This of course circumvents the weak and pathetic Government legislation that caps the amount of increases Bupa can levy for one year. Bupa have told me they have the right to do this, and thus they can do as they wish. A recent post mentioned the word scam. As an old couple I am paying nearly $4K per annum for virtually no cover at all, a total waste of money. As Bupa is a for profit organization, I understand the logic of insurance. Their actuaries no doubt have advised them that old people cost money and to reduce their benefits and increase their premiums, but to do this in a confusing manner that tricks victims into thinking that they have some kind of cover, when in fact they do not. Bupa needs new young people to join but needs to rid themselves of old people and the Government allows this. You have been told. Look at these reviews if you are in any doubt.

High cost, low cover.

Member 30 years. Just received notice of yet another price rise of $5 F/N, that’s an extra $135 yr. Single male 53, top cover all the extras, (including maternity? No choice) now it’s $266 per MONTH!! $3192 per year, plus they are taking away all natural therapies, but I get as many ambulance rides as I need. Yay!... Optical cover? $250 p/a that covers about a 3rd, dental cover? $1100, that’s about a 3rd of my last bill. Anesthetist? Well They charge whatever they want, expect a $1000 gap. Value and bupa should not be contained in the same sentence.
It's more of a hedge fund than a health fund. How long until this royal commission? Australia..Corporate crime capital of the world. With impunity!

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Never been so ripped off, would not recommend this company to anyone.

I was with bupa for almost 2 years. When I started my policy, Bupa told me I was covered for the surgery in which I needed. When I went to book in for my surgery, Bupa refused to cover me and left me out of pocket $5,000.
Called them numerous times to cancel my policy. One lady basically wouldn't cancel it, so had to continuously ring up and talk to all these different people.
After I cancelled, they sent me a bill near $300 for more membership. Since cancelling, had nothing but constant calls at 7am every second day from them. Would never recommend this company.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

They cover as little as possible

We have been paying for major dental cover for years and now that my partner has to have his wisdom teeth out they are only covering around 17%! They say they’ll cover 60% with a Members First provider, but then I find out no specialists are Members First providers. What a scam!!

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Claim MadeYes

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE..staff do not have product knowledge and they will ping pong you around till you're dead!

Been with them for almost 10 years. Mine is a long story but to make things short, BUPA has refused to accept responsibility and the many many times I called, that's as many different responses I got. One day, it's yeah, it is covered, the next day is no it's not covered, and so on and so forth, for 2 weeks.! And they will not give me a letter to confirm what they are saying and instead asked me the reason I wanted a letter and then told me that i should get it from the hospital. the hospital? i do not pay the hospital for my insurance. What nonsense.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!! If you do go ahead with them, pls pls pls, write down everything they say, record it if you can, because all their staff give you differing answers and then i think you need a lawyer to check your policy for loop holes really, if not you're stuffed. it is very very sad, that in this developed nation of ours, there are so many con artists out there, out in the open. Ripping people off!

Coverage TypeCouple
Claim MadeYes

Been with them for 5 years, was overseas and they want to make me restart my membership.

I've been with Bupa for 5 years. My membership lapsed while I was overseas and now they won't let me restart my old policy. Rather, they want me to start again, negating all benefits accrued over the past 5 years.

Scam

Bupa has been trying to scam me and my family. Hospital said we were fully covered for my sons surgery then bupa is trying to charge me for it and saying it's my problem with the hospital. Worst oshc. Don't use bupa. Nib much better.
I'm taking legal actions against them.

Insurance claim madeYes

Arrogant stuff and very expensive policy that doesn't cover anything

I was with Bupa for 8 Years. Actually I moved to Australia 8 years ago. First years as I was knew I didn't know much about health insurance policies in Au and also luckily i didn't need to claim anything, so i never thought of changing it. Then as you meet more people and when you get to know how much they are spending a month on their health insurance policies a month and how much they can claim back, then you realise that you have been spending a lot of money for almost nothing being covered comparison to the other health insurers. On the top of that i have been charged approximately $15 every month for years for no reason. When i called Bupa to find out why i am charged more every month and why they do not have that cost for the same policy on their website i got the answer that its a mistake on their website. Few days after that call and 8 years after being ripped off i decided to join another health insurance agency. Bupa did call me today and now they do have the answer on why i have been charged more, they can fix for the future, but they can't give back extra money they have taken from me. They were trying to find the "best " thing for me . And my answer is NEVER AGAIN!. If you do decide to join Bupa unfortunately you have to check every month what they are charging you as most likely they will put extra money on your bell that you are not going to notice. Multiply that with the years and you can probably pay yourself a nice holiday. Don't join BUPA!

Disappointing

I joined Bupa private insurance which supposed to give $150 cashback in 2 installments. I have not got that, and even by calling them, they said it is strange and never happened and will follow that. However, the same happened to my friend last year and for me I have not got their reply yet!

Insurance claim madeYes

A very inefficient health insurance

Have been with them for more than 3 years (only because it was benefit from my employer). Terrible experience. I wouldn't know where to start. But a good summary would be that they are very inefficient in all aspects, at least that's my experience.