Bupa Health Insurance

Bupa Health Insurance

Rude and incompetent customer service

Customer service team was very very unprofessional and childish. Was very rude and showed a complete lack of competency of their part. You would expect for the price you pay to have at least decent customer service.

Terrible don't ever go near

Rude and deceiving

Called BUPA to move my membership with them from a previous health insurance provider. Attending to their website, my policy would cost $226 per month, but the operator would insist the price to be $256 per month. Following a discussion in regard to the price he had to agree the price to actually be as stated on their website.

Eager to sign me up, he led me to give him all my details so that the membership could start the same day. The day after I have received a policy stating my cover would be for $302 per month. Both me and my girlfriend called BUPA at different times to have explanation in regards to this issue. In both cases the person on the phone was being rude and I also got the operator to hung up the phone on me.

Even the process to cancel my membership with BUPA has not been very smooth. The woman on the phone was explaining that, due to my situation, it would be a very difficult process to change provider, that I would find the same issues with another provider and tried anything else she could in order to retain me as a member.

But guess what? Talking to a broker from iselect has been the easiest way to get out of this. He explained everything in detail and brought me to choose the right policy for me from another provider at a cheaper price!

Helpful and Informative

Called to enquire about the benefits of either increasing my Cover or getting more out of current Cover/Plan. Josh and the team were very helpful, provided information and saved me time, effort and money on an unnecessary change.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Claim DateFebruary 2019

PC gone mad!

Tried to change direct debit details for a policy as the account details were changed by the bank. Was told that because of privacy legislation I can't do this as I was not the person who set up the initial direct debit. Madness! The fact that the original account was a joint account or that because that account has been closed there will be no payment unless the details are changed did not make any difference. I was told that I can make an one off payment, but no regular payments? And they sighted privacy for this. I pity the generation these so called customer service persons belong to.

Book AgainYes

The worst online as well as customer service experience

Bupa customer service was absolutely unhelpful with any queries and have set up the incorrect level of cover.

Is far more expensive than other providers despite the corporate discount.

Have had nothing but dramas with them since joining.

Went in to the Chadston shop and the man there - Charles was equally unhelpful. Our entitlement wasn’t paid to us and all he could do was keep explaining instead of doing something about it.

Despite the corporate discount, will be switching to another provider within the month.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2018

Overall very poor.

My partner and I had been with BUPA for nearly ten years and never had a claim. We payed the extra dollars for BUPA as opposed to other health insurers as we believed their cover to be the best.

Earlier this year my fiancee required surgery for which we were supposedly covered. The day before the surgery we received a call from the Hospital saying that BUPA were not paying for the surgery and that we had to pay the total bill of over $7,000 prior to admission. My partner was already feeling nervous about her surgery and the potential for a significant financial burden was unnecessary and very stressful. That afternoon I spent nearly 3 hours on the phone and was consistently told that there was nothing that could be done. Thankfully I was finally able to speak with someone who could assist me with the problem and they DID pay the entire amount which we do genuinely appreciate.

Unfortunately the whole experience left a very sour taste in our mouth and we decided to move shortly after. This was a huge hastle in itself as BUPA did not send the clearance certificates to our new fund, despite six different requests over the next 6 weeks. Eventually I had to call through to them and demand it send to me specifically, which I then forwarded to our new fund manually.

I do not recommend BUPA. Their premiums are expensive and the refunds they give for extras are minimal when compared to other funds.

Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Pretty disappointed with their irritated customer service reps, rude and nasty

Recently subscribed a health policy for my grandma who's applying visa to come to visit us soon. I did the application online for her and didn't know it takes 5 days for online processing. No acknowledgement until the you click on "submission button" They should of put a notification stating for any urgent health insurance policy cover please call us instead of putting an useless online application. When I asked if I can cancel the policy , the sales rep that was on the phone was rude and nasty and saying that no , you cannot cancel a policy if it's not showing in their system plus you won't get you first month money back. Her tone made me very irritating and uncomfortable. I suggest stay away company like this as they only care about themselves not you. And going to take away your money if you decide to withdraw the application. So be aware if you are applying health cover on their website. I wouldn't trust them at all.

Worst overseas visitor cover

Don't get ripped by BUPA OVHC. The policy wording will say that it covers hospital care and OPD, but everything will fall apart when a claim will be made. The claim department tries to get everything under the pre existing umbrella so that they don't have to pay any money to the insured. It's an insurance meant for ripping and not for health protection.

Claim ApprovedNo

Company is the biggest load of s#!t

Good value....sort of
Was it worth all the trouble, arguments, going to ombudsmen etc?
Was with the company for 3 months and it was nothing but problems on the last end of the cover.

Promised they would taken in all served waiting periods on and cover everything I was covered for with AHM and all they did was screw me around and honored nothing.....transferring straight out of there and back to what was good!!

Oh and the corporate savings was not worth the struggles.

Didn't even deserve one star but I was made to click a star

Book AgainNo

Bupa couldn’t Cancel my policy quicker

Took my wife into bupa a couple of days ago to sort out our family policy as we both didn’t know what cover we had with the recent changes Silver, Gold, etc. From a previous sit down with them and saying I felt it was a waste of money the Sales person would jump into damage control and I learnt 10 times more from the other sit downs so this time rather then find I’m talking to someone that didn’t feel how serious we were to understanding if we are wasting our money or not I did much the same, said I was wanting to Cancel my policy!
Handing over our family Bupa Card the lady jumped on her computer and within 2 minutes she was asking for my wife’s signature to finalise my cancelation. WTH, no hard sell, no asking why? No interest in keeping me as a customer, not 1 word at all. Straight away my wife said she would cancel her policy as well ( out of disgust ) again, the woman said nothing and went back to her computer until I turned to my wife and told her to think about it first as she has been paying into this policy for well over 10 years and to just sign the paperwork and let’s just go home and think about it. After asking how much she will now be paying per month the woman came back with a figure that was like $50 cheaper then when we both were paying for the family policy. Asking Why she would have to pay almost the same amount the woman went back to her computer and then off to see a supervisor to which a new policy was re-printed a much reduced rate.

So very sloppy, Bupa doesn’t care about existing customers or keeping their business.

Book AgainNo

Fantastic cover for single parent families

Great for coverage for my kids and I. Call centre staff always really helpful and no wait at all. I went to hospital twice last year and no issues at all either time, even though I switched from another health fund only a few months before going to hospital. Great product and service

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family
Claim DateJuly 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

Price charged higher than quote. Bupa refused to honour quote.

I changed to Bupa Health Insurance after speaking with a sales consultant. I was quoted a figure based on the type of cover with a Corporate Discount applied. I responded to the quote on email and confirmed I was happy to sign up.
The price I was charged ended up being higher. When I called to query why, the team advised me that the Corporate discount that was in the quote doesn't apply to that level of cover. Their quote was therefore incorrect. Instead of honouring the quoted figure, the only options I was offered were to keep paying the higher amount or cancel the cover. I chose to cancel.
I am just very disappointed by the fact that Bupa didn't accept the fault was in their quote. And the level of customer service when that was pointed out was pretty poor. They didn't offer any other alternatives or suggestions. Why have a quoting system if you are not going to honour a quote?

Waste of time!

Book AgainNo

Incompetent Staff and signs of desperation

I have been with BUPA for 17 years and during all this time we had minimal use of the health policy other than dental. As we are low risk we decided to cancel our policy and make alternative arrangements. We were told we cannot cancel and they hung up. It appears their 'Retention' Department is so desperate to hang on to its membership. They have no idea about ways to 'Retain' their clients. They have to offer incentives throughout the membership for loyalty if they wish to retain their clients. Refusing to cancel a policy in my opinion is desperation.

Book AgainNo

the worst company to deal with, almost impossible to make a claim

they make really hard to make a claim! always something goes wrong with the app you with the website and then you need to go in some office! them if you work full time you cant get any refund! they are scammers
the worst company to deal with!!

Horrible experience- STAY AWAY

I was looking for a comprehensive health insurance for my time in Australia for me and my partner. We opted for the cover with BUPA which was 265 AUD / Month. It felt good to know that if something goes wrong or we got sick we could visit a hospital without having to worry too much. After a couple of months, I had an infection on the right eye which required immediate medical attention. Nothing too serious, but that is exactly what a health coverage should be for. It was diagnosed as Mircorbial Keratitis, which is nothing out of the ordinary, just a bacterial infection. I had to visit the hospital on three occasions, each visit, I had to pay 150 AUD in advance, so not a big bill, but I trusted that I would be reimbursed for these expenses. Sadly, this never happened. They told me that I had to prove that the infection was not a previous condition, which it was not, and I had to contact a specialist in Germany as well as my GP for a complex form to fill out, in order to prove so. My specialist simply told me that he could not fill the form out, because I had not visited him for over two years (not having any problem with my eyes before, that is not surprising) Sadly, MyBUPA failed to understand that and never reimbursed me.

But not only that. I then tried to cancel my membership with BUPA and oh my god. I have, by now written 5(!) message with them, i received a confirmation that my membership was cancelled just to get other messages that they will deduct the next fee in a couple of weeks. I paid over 1800 Dollars for a health insurance which did exactly nothing for me when I needed it, and when I wanted to cancel it, they try to get even more money out of me. Simply outrageous.

Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Profits before People - Don't get caught so look elsewhere.

Since they changed their policy conditions, BUPA discriminates significantly against patients in rural and regional locations with their Gap scheme. Before contemplating any surgery I would strongly recommend checking your policy very closely to locate a specialist nearby. In my own case this was more than 300 km away and my condition did not allow me to travel that far without significantly adding to my pain and discomfort. Fortunately I was able to see a specialist close by but unfortunately he did not participate in the BUPA gap scheme which cost me greatly. They only paid the minimal amount towards the surgery so my out of pocket expenses was huge even tho I supposedly had top hospital cover. I am now switching to a Members Own fund )after 20 years with BUPA) which would have covered my claim.

Claim DateMarch 2017

Terrible unfair system

My daughter needed her wisdom teeth out and was told she need to have it done in hospital. Using the identical information except provider number the rebate came back as $1481 if done in dentist or $396 if done in hospital. We had already paid the excess tor the hospital which I didnt have a problem with as we chose to have excess. I cant understand how there can be a $1000 difference simply because of who does the op. I think having preferred providers should be banned and the rebate should be the same regardless. I couldnt go to Harvey Norman and get charged $6000 at counter A but only a $1000 at counter B because John is a preferred staff member. They also originally only gave me $198 as someone mucked up.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Money taken, no cover provided and arrogant overseas call centre support

I am existing Bupa member for nearly 8years and purchased an additional overseas visitor cover for my father who is visiting Australia for a short duration. The online chat assistant happily took my credit card details for the purchase of the cover. Its been 15 days since then and no membership details have been sent. On calling they wont talk to me as the cover is in someone else's name. For the first time I also got to speak to a rude overseas customer support. They wouldn't log a complaint for the persons rude behaviour.
I am quite disappointed by their behaviour and will switch provider for my health cover but am stuck on the overseas cover for my father. Believe have to go to ombudsman on this.

Book AgainNo

Bupa is the health insurance company out there

We called about our level of cover several times, we did not know what exactly was covered under pregnancy and whenever we called we were told only in-hospital procedures, but that hospital admissions were covered. So we took off the pregnancy cover and then found out that we were having a baby but we assumed because we were advised by bupa several times that we were covered for hospital admissions. 5 weeks before I due to give birth I received a phone call from the hospital saying that bupa wasn't going to cover the admission. I called bupa and asked them why and they said because I wasn't covered fro pregnancy. At this point I paid for the obstetrician myself and all bupa had to cover was the hospital admission which I am covered for under my hospital cover. They said that I would need to speak with customer relations. I spoke to customer relations, the lady that I spoke with was passive aggressive and said that she would have to have my previous phone call listened to by a reviewer. I should I have a result in 3 days, I received no call after 3 days and then she told me when I did call that they had no result. That in that phone call they could hear that I was confused. So I would have to wait for another 3 days for another review. This went on for 3 weeks until she came back and said that they were not going to cover my hospital admission even after saying that I could have my original cover reinstated if I paid the difference of $1200. SO after 6 years of being with them I'm not covered for anything and they are the worst health insurance company out there. Do not go with Bupa, go with another company, one that values its members and treats them well. I have since left them and I have not looked back.

Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Not only they took your money....

When I realised they overcharged me, I have to go through hundreds of calls and escalations to get them to refund then they decided to put the refund to the account which I no longer used despite I spent hours on the phone with their customer relation and provided the bank details which I wanted they deposit my refund but it did not happened, they made a lot of b...sh excuses that they have to manually processed the refund then started to play the blamed game between customer relation and financial team. Be careful if your money, they will deposit your $$ into their own account