Bupa Health Insurance

• 1-2 weeks (17)
    • 2-4 weeks (13)
    • 1-2 months (11)
    • 3+ months (14)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (48) · No (41)

Shocking service!!!!!!!

If you are a member you CANNOT get through to them on the phone. 43min wait time just to find out if I'm covered or not is UNACCEPTABLE.
The service is terrible, unfriendly and unhelpful

Merve b.

Merve b.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Out of pocket fee!

I found Bupa friendly provider on my app to get less out of pocket. But still, they are charging more than 50%. I called Bupa to ask, what is the reason you charge me this amount. Their answer was; ‘you need to make sure the provider covering as well. I already pay a high amount for my private health insurance! Plus I can not get back my money back somewhat. I suggest who think to decide to choose Bupa Health Insurance in future; please do check to double your what your benefit is?

Cassie

CassieSouth Australia

HORRIBLE SERVICE

Advised me of wrong start dates, payments to come out, when claims could be made and when i could use card. i figured out that nothing which was advised was correct. Put a claim through on 19/03/2021 but claim didn't get picked up and done until the 24/03/2021 which was after i cancelled my account. I found out in April that they were still withdrawing money from my account and when i called up to query they said my account was cancelled but due to me submitting a claim on the 24/03/2021 this reactivated my account i advised i did not do this and i was told i did and that this was due to me. Take responsibility for all your mess ups i will NEVER join or recommend BUPA to anyone it has been one of my worst experience i have had!!!!

Fiz

FizSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Worst Customer Service

I had paid for a travel/health insurance for my Dad as an overseas traveller, he was to travel to Aust in 2019 but due to covid and border closures it never eventuated. Upon contacting BUPA, the staff were very unhelpful in assisting me to seek a refund or a deferment. Initially, they deferred the policy for 3 months, and then for another 6 months, but would not offer refund in any case.

Disheartened after 42 years with Bupa

Put in a claim for a blood pressure monitor for my diabetes. Included an official letter from my dr and receipt from my chemist where i purchased it. Received email to say my claim was rejected along with a list of requests for further information which meant a trip back to my dr and chemist..totally ridiculous for an $84 monitor... would cost me more to do it all...Trust your clients Bupa.!..we join you for good reasons. By the way...Drs letter answered most of the queries if it had been read correctly...All for a monitor for checking my heart...so sad after being a member for more than half of my life ..

Ronelle V.

Ronelle V.South East Queensland, QLD

No one answers the 13 41 35 number!

Coming from a 3rd world country, calls were answered within 10minutes. However, waited more than 30 minutes to speak to a consultant. Eventually I gave up! I do expect better customer service from a 1st world country, and provider. Sadly this seems not to be the case.

Rather shocking to say the least.

I do hope your cover doesn't provide the same level of service, however, the reviews tell a different story.

Scam!

Bupa stole my money. I was lied to about what I would be able to claim, and my condition was deemed pre-existing it wasn't. Total crooks. Steer clear of this company!

Heavyc
Heavyc

Don't fall into the trap of dealing with Bupa's PR team. If you've been scammed by this company, cancel your membership and go to the ombudsman. Stay safe, and do your research before investing in private health insurance!

Still waiting for refund after 50 days

Mahboubeh

MahboubehGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Bupa doesnt support when you need

I joined bupa 8 months ago. Now I have problem and have to go for operation! But they dont support me. They want to be sure that it was not prexisting. While GP and specialist filled the forms and confirmed it was not prexisting and sent, bupa is irresponsible and doesnt answer. They dont care if people die! They just want your money. They dont care about you!

Claim MadeYes

allen

allenSydney, NSW

Also waiting for a refund for more than 30 days now!!!!

Claim MadeNo
Natalia B.

Natalia B.Perth, WA

If you get that insurance you have to be ready for disappointment

The worst insurance that I've ever had. Not a cheep one and doesn't cover most of the cases. Over the phon I was told that they will cover 60% but in reality its only 15%.company its not clear about what is cover and what's not. After a few weeks being a member I'm going to cancel my membership. Not recommend

honesty

honestysydney

Appalling Waste Of Money No Customer Service Soooo Frustrated

Neb-Maat-ReAU

Every year they try to add in a sneaky extra increase without notice - and every year we catch them

You need to watch these thieves.

They have put our "current" premium up 2.75% above the amount we were notified in writing last year before adding a 6% increase to the supposed "current" premium - making the actual cumulative increase closer to 9%! They try this every year. We always pick them up on it.

There must be enough dumb bunnies who just pay without checking to make it worthwhile for them.

** Always challenge your quoted increase. ** Always lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman for a faster response. **

connorling

connorlingPerth, WA

Cannot contact them on weekend

Cannot log in, reset password 5 times and still have issue. Try to call them but no one works on weekend, yet if u claim to be non existing customer, they have people talk to you to sign up new policy. So have people work on weekend to get new customer and get new revenue yet no one work on weekend to help existing customers.

swampfoxBrisbane

Delayed Transfer To New Provider

Find out how Bupa Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Every single year the premium increases FAR in excess of any known metric. Utter rort

What a total rort this system it. Forced into buying insurance and being pumped for more and more cash every single year. I hope everyone drops their cover and the system crashes. Utter, utter shambles this system. No one can do anything at all - pay or lose the cover. They are all the same

Michael5555

Michael5555Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Just received notice that my policy is going up 9.6%

Just received notice that my policy premium is going up 9.6%. Why? Does Bupa care about members or shareholders?
I called Bupa for an explanation but nobody was able to give me any.

Carly H.

Carly H.South Australia

hopeless phone support

Was waiting for 10 miuntes then transferred to another area . Then office obviously closed, so they left me on hold

medibank can get our business.

was starting a new policy , not know

Claim MadeNo

DeniseMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Incompetence Reigns!!!

I actually give a zero for my experience joining 'Bupa' yesterday. I went through a third party who was very good but somehow got emailed a wrong policy from 'Bupa' with no member number and they took my money for a policy that doesn't exist. Now I have to wait to get my money back after they took it illegally. I have cancelled the policy and want nothing to do with them!

Diego U.

Diego U.Queensland

Never had a problem

I have the overseas visitor cover and I have used 3 times and never had any problem. They have partnerships with some medical centers where you don't have to pay. I've got a mole removed and I didn't have to pay anything.

The customer service is really helpful too.

I would totally recomended, at least for minor things works great.

Neb-Maat-Reasked

A question for BUPA:

Why can't I escalate a call to someone higher than the call centre operative? The only possible reason would be that you don't want to answer questions from long standing loyal clients!

And, no - I will not contact you on Facebook. That's just another way to pretend you are doing something when you aren't. I want to speak with someone - and sooner than 9 business days!

Hi Neb,

Our Customer Relations team are the highest form of escalation within Bupa, and while they don’t take inbound calls from customers, you can find out how to reach them here: https://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/understanding-your-health-cover/complaints-and-feedback#30d8caa980154660ab4fc6be82863465.

Warm regards,
Ryan

I already did that.

I was told a response would take 9 business days. Today is 22 March. 9 business days takes us past 1 April when the artificially inflated new rate based on an inaccurate overstated "current" rate takes effect. I need to speak with someone today.

What a disrespectful way to treat long standing, loyal customers who always pay their premium 12 months in advance.

Hint for other members:

Contact the Ombudsman. BUPA are then required to respond in 3 days rather than the 9 days they quote.

Sandra L.

Sandra L.asked

I have'nt heard from Bupa as to how much is insurance going up on April1.

Hi Sandra,

We’re currently contacting all our members about the rate adjustments. If you’d like to find out what your premium is going to look like from April, you’re welcome to shoot us through a private message on Facebook (http://m.me/BupaAustralia) with your full name, date of birth and membership number, and I’ll be happy to let you know.

Here to help,
Ryan

Ripp Off

Make sure you have insurance before you open your increase because you will have to use it after you see how much they are increasing your premium. What a bunch of thieves

Neb-Maat-Re

You need to watch these thieves. They have put our current premium up 2.75% before adding a 6% increase to the supposed "current" premium - making the actual cumulative increase closer to 9%!

They try this every year. There must be enough dumb bunnies who just pay without checking to make it worthwhile.

Zoe B.asked

Hi - can you explain why I received no benefits at all (apart from the 00013 consultation benefit of about $46) for the following dental items performed on the same day: 00013, 00613, 00643, 00649? This left me $3000 out of pocket. I have rung Bupa and two different consultants told me two different things. One said that the 00013 meant that Bupa assumes the other treatments haven't been completed yet and so were not acknowledged. However, the consultation for these treatments was performed on a previous date and was in fact identified as 00014. The other consultant said 00013 is not compatible with 00649 and 00613 is not compatible with 00649. She had no idea why we didn't at least get something back for 00643. These are all claimable items on your website, so what is going on??????

Good afternoon, Zoe.

While certain item numbers can be restricted if performed on the same day, I’d be happy to jump into your policy and look further into the outcome of your claim.

Simply send us a Facebook private message (http://m.me/BupaAustralia) with your full name, date of birth and membership number, along with the details of your original question, and we’ll go from there.

Here to help,
Kristina

Thanks, Kristina.

See all Bupa Health Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and Bupa representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance