Bupa Health Insurance

Bupa Health Insurance

See the Best Health Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (20) · 3+ months (6) · 2-4 weeks (6) · 1-2 weeks (6) · 1-2 months (6)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (21) · No (22)
  • Would Book AgainYes (1) · No (47)

Joseph

JosephHunter Region, NSW

No idea

Called to ask if a procedure was covered by my fund. I was asked for an item number and was told without it they could not tell me if I was covered. I suggested he refer the enquiry to one of their technical specialists (every team has one) and he refused. I regret ever going anywhere near BUPA!

Nik

NikNew South Wales

Terrible & expensive

The staff are not trained well. They tell you different things & don’t know how to handle complaints. They also don’t know what the complaints escalation process is. Staff also hang up on you when frustrated with no warnings.

After years of paying for expensive insurance cover they advise you, you are covered and BUPA will reimburse you the entire amount you pay for the surgery. You proceed with the private health surgery, only afterwards to find out that after you pay $1000 to the surgeon they only cover $100. Then staff are rude when you raise this issue with them. I could have had this surgery for free with the public system. Save yourself the time and money don’t get BUPA!

Julie

JulieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Visitor cover

djdj

djdjPerth, WA

Poor service and value

I’ve just left Bupa after being a member for 2 years. I had top hospital cover and average extras. Bupa made me feel like I was just a number. I found them inaccessible when I needed to contact them from WA. I got minimum value from my policy. When I submitted a recent claim online, didn’t even get a reply. Very poor customer service.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateNovember 2019

Robin

RobinPerth, WA

Worst service for visitor cover

Big premiums and very big out of pocket money.Taken a visitor cover for my dad and from the hospital bill of$1255 they offered me a$150 and remaining out of pocket .Then what is the meaning of having a health insurance .is it just for paying premiums and make them fat kids disgusting

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes

Limited to Bupa’s Network of providers and not able to choose your own registered AHPRA clinicians.

Claim DateJanuary 2020

Trent G.

Trent G.South East Queensland, QLD

BUPA is one of the best

Been with bupa for over ten years and now that our lifestyle is changing (marriage + kids) they are actually getting better.
+ 1 for BUPA dental - no out of pocket check ups and really love my new dentist
+ 1 for partnership with orthopaedics (hatch) - just had to pay our excess for birth
+ 1 for paying out a claim when I didnt realise my dental limit was already met (they didnt have to)

Would recommend.

mick

mickGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

One of the most morally bankrupt companies I've come across.

Been with Bupa for approximately 7 years. This company will literally do anything to take money from your pocket, including sneakily changing terms and conditions and trying to trick you.

December 30th 2019 Update: Terrible company, Avoid at all costs

During my 8ish years with Bupa health insurance, there have been many times that i've felt ripped off. They will attempt to be very deceptive with their wording to increase profit at your expense. Its an absolute sham. The fact that they get away with it is a disgrace on the Aus Government's shoulders.

smartbuyer

smartbuyerSydney, NSW

Terrible Coverage

Was sold the Young Singles Saver cover in 2017 with hospital and ambulance, but over the years they've removed that and more from my cover, but pushed up the cost to $132. I find out today that whilst I've been paying this price, new customers on the Bronze Plus plus Extras 60s - paying $127, are getting more coverage in bone, joint, blood, endoscopy, everything. Yet Bupa had continued to rip me off at the $132 cost offering poor coverage. Becareful of Bupa, they will continue to put the price up and remove coverage, and not inform you clearly on the changes.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Helen and Jeffrey

Helen and JeffreyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Not possible to give minus star review.

This company are so clueless it is truly mind boggling. Each time you talk to someone its like they are from a number of different companies. Emails with incorrect information. Quotes that dont stand up. Extra money taken with no contact no email. Still dont have the correct information. But the taking of money always happens. Another $60 now on top of my quote. Still nothing in writing with any. Ore the information. Welcome pack posted nearly 4 weeks ago.
Truly mind boggling but so so consistent.

Sandy

SandySydney, NSW

Visa Medical examination at BMVS SYDNEY/Level 1 35 Clarence Street

We had medical examination for visa requirements. One of the staff (the one didn't have eyebrow and Blond hair lady) was terrible attitude like obviously not enjoying repetitive jobs and she was sarcastically laughing loudly at the customer who were misunderstanding the services and procedures. She probably though that nobody understood the English but obviously some people were. We felt really bad at her attitude to face customer.

Plan CoverageExtras Only

Msub

Msub

Horrible policy. Moving out after 6 years of paying premiums

Been with Bupa since 2013.
I went to a physiotherapist today and was covered only 10%(this is the first time I am using my physio extra) Called Bupa and they gave me whole load of crappy excuses as to why it was not covered.
Canceled my policy straight away as I felt they were very dishonest and I would not be able to depend on my policy when I will need the most.

Justin

JustinMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Will never recommend in my life

Terrible customer service. The Mrs joined up and then had to cancel, due to receiving permanent residency and having medicare. They refunded the money into the wrong account (which was closed), would do nothing to retrieve it. I spoke with 4 different staff members, was mucked around for 11 days and then had to go into ANZ to retrieve the money because of their error. Offered to track the money for a tracing fee, charging me for their mistake. I will never recommend Bupa to anybody in my life, horrible experience and poor treatment of customers.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateOctober 2019

Dishonest dealings

Asked for a quote. Agreed to remove 2 services like pregnancy & weight loss with the reduced premium. Then later refused to decrease the premium. Better off going with other insurers.

UNETHICAL company

Bipartisan Refused to refund a membership that was taken for overseas visitors that never came into effect. 2 weeks before start of the policy, a refund was requested which was refused, however, policy was cancelled.

A genuine choice

We are with Bupa for about 2 years now and paid everything what I and ny wife claimed. After Allianz student insurance, Bupa has been a really pleasant experience. I feel responsible to write this comment to thank.

Claim DateOctober 2019

neetimittal000

neetimittal000Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Crap customer service ! Never take up a policy with Bupa

Called Bupa today to cancel my mother's overseas visitor policy. Was transferred to three different departments and was put on hold for over an hour. Absolute no courtesy at all and not a single word of apology. Crappiest customer service I have ever received. Will never even sign up for any of their product ever again . I wish there was less than one star rating. I would give them ZERO star rating.

Jason Geller

Jason GellerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Refused to pay for claim under coverage, abysmal customer service, failed in duties

A claim was made that was under my coverage. Documenation was provided. Bupa was requiring absurd levels of verification including hospital notes which the hospital would not provide. No coverage.

Claim DateSeptember 2019

N.Isaacs

N.IsaacsSydney, NSW

Heartless profiteering company!

I called to get my annual private health care statement for my accountant they said they would send it to me. I also wanted to cancel my account. Did they send through the statement? No. They made me feel terrible for leaving them and patronised and intimidated me. Shame on you Bupa. I will never go back to you even when l do have more money.

Plan CoverageAmbulance Only

Big Muma

Big MumaSouth East Queensland, QLD

$200 Glasses Cover means UP TO $200

Told Optical Store I only wanted to spend $200 as this was what I was covered for. The store waived cost over $200 as part of their special but there was still a shortfall by BUPA and when I rang the customer service assistant who was quite rude, she said cover was for UP TO $200 and was not meant to fully pay for glasses as each item number has a separate rebate. My understanding is if it says $200 per person per year that's what they should pay out!! I've been with Bupa 20 years and glasses is about the only thing I claim on extras so very disappointed.

Claim DateNovember 2019