Bupa Health Insurance

Bupa Health Insurance

Health Insurance Guide for 2020

The decision to take up private health insurance can be a very involved process, and the factors that go into your decision will be unique to you. Your first dip into the policy selection process can be pretty overwhelming, so this guide will help lay everything out for you as plainly as possible to get you on your way.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (37), 1-2 weeks (16), 3+ months (14), 2-4 weeks (12) and 1-2 months (10)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (44) · No (39)
Nicole C.

Nicole C.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

A fraud

I’m $5500 out of pocket after making 3 calls to make sure I’m covered prior to agreeing to surgery. Every time I was told 100% the most important thing for me was no out of pocket fees. The service was ok until it came time for a refund. What a fraud, absolutely life shattering.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

BazzaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Absolute waste and deceiving company

Dont sign up and avoid at all costs. Very deceiving company. Quick to sign you up and deduct money every month. Comes to claims and they throw all T&C at your face and reject!!!! I would give zero star if I could here. Dont ever deal with them!!!!!!

Claim DateOctober 2020

Hi Ryan,

I already provided these details to you call center agent when making the complaint but was told - Sorry we cant do anything. Anyways the membership number was - [Number Removed]

Emma

Katie PUnincorporated, SA

A waste of money

Arielle C.

Arielle C.Sydney, NSW

Phone help was the issue

I was happy with BUPA, until I had to call them about a refund. The app and the claim system are good, but the guy on the prone was simply rude and to tired to help. I had a few questions, but on the first one he already said "you need that or no refund, that is it". well, I said OK then, I hung up

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateNovember 2020
Kristina E.Bupa

Avoid at all costs. NIB is so much better

Failed to contact me after they said they would
If Bupa can't send an email, how do you expect them to do anything else?

Avoid at all costs, stick to NIB.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Western Australia

Western AustraliaPerth, WA

Review and upgrade of current cover

Tried calling Bupa as I was trying to review my cover but waited on the phone for 45 minutes, to finally get cut off as soon as the call was "answered". Called back and selected new client option and got through straight away, only to be transferred to someone else who deals with current clients - 25 minutes later and STILL not answered. Shocking!!!! They are clearly only interested in New clients and then have no interest once you've joined. Wouldn't recommend!!!

Naveed s.

Naveed s.Launceston, TAS

Non-Friendly Customer Service

Bad customer service

Customer service officer doesn’t know how to handle frustrated customer. Raised her voice and rudely told me to stop repeating the information. I had to keep on repeating the information because she didn’t understand the concern right away.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Cody A.Bupa

Worst when it somes to answering calls. Wasted

Wasted almost 1 hour of waiting and kept transferring me to other call agents and still didnt help me! Ended up wasting my time!!!! You should improve and hire more staff to andwer your phones!!!

KMCNortheast, VIC

Great taking your money, lousy for customer service or cover

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Loyalty Costs You Money

Coverage TypeSingle Parent Family
Tdgs2

Tdgs2AU

Greed, dishonesty and horrible customer service is what defines Bupa

Viv Y.Bupa

worst insurance company i’ve had.

L. AshardVictoria

Dont waste your money, go elsewhere

Lodged claims over 2 months ago, still waiting for someone to call me and explain why they aren't paid. I've made 7 phone calls and sent 3 emails. Cancelling after 15 years, going to another insurer. I called yesterday to say I wanted to cancel, after being on hold for 20 minutes they hung up and didn't bother calling me back. You've lost my business and yes I still expect to be paid the claims! Bupa have terrible customer service!

Coverage TypeFamily Extension

Done

Time to look elsewhere.

I just looked at my premium from 2014 which was $175.58 per month for a single, and now they tell me it’s going to $264.43 per month. Oh and in this time I’ve increase my excess from zero to $500 per year otherwise it would be way more. So not only do they get $500 per year, but that is an average increase across 7 yrs of 7.29% per annum. Or if like me you claim each year in hospital 10.16% increase. Absolute joke. Oh an then they go about giving all their discounts to 3rd rate dentists at the idea they are reducing costs. Something investigated by the ACCC to have been shown to increase competition. Until now they are opening their own BUPA brand stores. Time to wake up on this company.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Jonny bravoPerth, WA

Money making machine

Bupa is an “insurance company”. In 2020 this means they will use every trick in the book to have that money only flowing one way....after all Bupa needs this massive amount of money to fund their multi million dollar advertising campaign that never ends,flooding prime time tv with their “we care “ ads. Advertising is not cheap and continuously increase in price ....just like your premiums. Essentially they are self perpetuating parasites that are highly skilled in the art of making money and even better at making excuses.

Plan CoverageAmbulance Only
Jordan B.Bupa
Jonny bravo

Your reply proves one of two things, you don’t listen or you do listen but choose give the contradictory advertising budget subject a wide birth.either way a typical reply from a foot soldier, wonder when we’ll hear the generals talk??

Customer

CustomerGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Too expensive

I was a member of bupa for many years from HBA to the name change, I found the older I got the more expensive they got, it got to the point they were unaffordable which it seems done deliberately, they prefer young healthy people so they raise their prices so high when you get older that you have no choice but to cancel your membership which is what happened to me. Very angry that I have to use the public system now which is stretched to breaking point thanks to bupa and other health insurance companies like them.

Claim ApprovedYes

Worst Service

I'm in the highest premium cover with Bupa and I've been a customer since 2015. I recently had a surgery after checking with Bupa and confirming there will be no out of pocket costs when I claimed my expenses they only cover 3% of my total cost! When I called the agent has been extremely rude to me, yelled at me at the phone. The worst service I've ever seen, don't sign up with them don't do this mistake!

GIZEM
GIZEM

Thanks Viv, I've sent a private message now.

rumj

rumjasked

2 years no claims. Visit doctor, card doesn’t work. Called phone help. On hold for 15 minutes. The agent picked up, and while talking said “can’t hear” and cut me off! Had to call back, wait again and this time Agent said (quite incorrectly) I hadn’t paid. Had paid on time before the deadline. She said we need to pay 3 days ahead at least.

bebe26
bebe26

That's typical of Bupa. I am now trying to move my son's cover out of Bupa

Good afternoon, Rumj.

It sounds like it’s been a bit of a bumpy ride, so I’m keen to run through everything with you, and send feedback about your experience to the right teams. To get the ball rolling, please shoot me a private message on Facebook (http://m.me/BupaAustralia) with your membership number, full name and date of birth. From there, I’ll be able to give you a hand.

Hope to speak soon,
Viv

Regan H.

Regan H.asked

How much cost for baby delivery? I want to open an insurance for my wife, for my wife delivery.

I.P. Daily
I.P. Daily

Does she meet the 12 month waiting period requirement?

Good afternoon, Regan.

I’d recommend speaking with our Cover Start team, as they’ll be able to match you up with the right cover for your needs. You can reach them between 8am and 8pm – Monday to Friday on 134 135. Alternatively, you can send me through a private message on Facebook (http://m.me/BupaAustralia) with your best contact number, and I’ll get them to give you a ring.

Here to help,
Ryan

Belinda W.

Belinda W.asked

If I have Ultimate health cover and see a Counsellor/Psychotherapist who charges $120 per hour what is the approximate rebate I would receive back? I am trying to decide if I will go a see this counsellor as she is highly recommended but I need to know how much I will be out of pocket

Fired Up
Fired Up

Why ask the public?

Hi Belinda,

I’ll be happy to handle your question about your psychology coverage, but I’ll just need a little more information to check what you’ll get back.

Please send me through a Facebook private message (http://m.me/BupaAustralia) with your full name, date of birth and membership number, and I’ll take it from there.

Here if you need,
Ryan

Get an answer from our members and Bupa representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance