Bupa Health Insurance

Bupa Health Insurance

Not good value for extras

Extras cover repays on a very small percentage of your costs (around 20%) unless you use one if their "members first " affiliated providers (in which case you can get 60% back). This leaves very little choice as the selection is tiny (even in hobart ) and I find it hard to find a good provider for half my extras because of this. We won't stick with BUPA. We found NIB extras gives a back 60% from the provider of your choice every time. Much better.

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Claim ApprovedYes

Bupa Targets the Elderly

Have been with Bupa for decades. They have advised me that they are once again increasing my premiums and decreasing my benefits. As I am old, they are decreasing the benefits I am likely to require e.g. hip replacements and the like just as I am needing them. They told me if i want this cover now I will have to increase my premiums by over 40% and wait one year for the benefit to be available. This of course circumvents the weak and pathetic Government legislation that caps the amount of increases Bupa can levy for one year. Bupa have told me they have the right to do this, and thus they can do as they wish. A recent post mentioned the word scam. As an old couple I am paying nearly $4K per annum for virtually no cover at all, a total waste of money. As Bupa is a for profit organization, I understand the logic of insurance. Their actuaries no doubt have advised them that old people cost money and to reduce their benefits and increase their premiums, but to do this in a confusing manner that tricks victims into thinking that they have some kind of cover, when in fact they do not. Bupa needs new young people to join but needs to rid themselves of old people and the Government allows this. You have been told. Look at these reviews if you are in any doubt.

High cost, low cover.

Member 30 years. Just received notice of yet another price rise of $5 F/N, that’s an extra $135 yr. Single male 53, top cover all the extras, (including maternity? No choice) now it’s $266 per MONTH!! $3192 per year, plus they are taking away all natural therapies, but I get as many ambulance rides as I need. Yay!... Optical cover? $250 p/a that covers about a 3rd, dental cover? $1100, that’s about a 3rd of my last bill. Anesthetist? Well They charge whatever they want, expect a $1000 gap. Value and bupa should not be contained in the same sentence.
It's more of a hedge fund than a health fund. How long until this royal commission? Australia..Corporate crime capital of the world. With impunity!

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Never been so ripped off, would not recommend this company to anyone.

I was with bupa for almost 2 years. When I started my policy, Bupa told me I was covered for the surgery in which I needed. When I went to book in for my surgery, Bupa refused to cover me and left me out of pocket $5,000.
Called them numerous times to cancel my policy. One lady basically wouldn't cancel it, so had to continuously ring up and talk to all these different people.
After I cancelled, they sent me a bill near $300 for more membership. Since cancelling, had nothing but constant calls at 7am every second day from them. Would never recommend this company.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

They cover as little as possible

We have been paying for major dental cover for years and now that my partner has to have his wisdom teeth out they are only covering around 17%! They say they’ll cover 60% with a Members First provider, but then I find out no specialists are Members First providers. What a scam!!

Plan CoverageExtras Only
Claim MadeYes

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE..staff do not have product knowledge and they will ping pong you around till you're dead!

Been with them for almost 10 years. Mine is a long story but to make things short, BUPA has refused to accept responsibility and the many many times I called, that's as many different responses I got. One day, it's yeah, it is covered, the next day is no it's not covered, and so on and so forth, for 2 weeks.! And they will not give me a letter to confirm what they are saying and instead asked me the reason I wanted a letter and then told me that i should get it from the hospital. the hospital? i do not pay the hospital for my insurance. What nonsense.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!! If you do go ahead with them, pls pls pls, write down everything they say, record it if you can, because all their staff give you differing answers and then i think you need a lawyer to check your policy for loop holes really, if not you're stuffed. it is very very sad, that in this developed nation of ours, there are so many con artists out there, out in the open. Ripping people off!

Coverage TypeCouple
Claim MadeYes

Been with them for 5 years, was overseas and they want to make me restart my membership.

I've been with Bupa for 5 years. My membership lapsed while I was overseas and now they won't let me restart my old policy. Rather, they want me to start again, negating all benefits accrued over the past 5 years.

Scam

Bupa has been trying to scam me and my family. Hospital said we were fully covered for my sons surgery then bupa is trying to charge me for it and saying it's my problem with the hospital. Worst oshc. Don't use bupa. Nib much better.
I'm taking legal actions against them.

Insurance claim madeYes

Arrogant stuff and very expensive policy that doesn't cover anything

I was with Bupa for 8 Years. Actually I moved to Australia 8 years ago. First years as I was knew I didn't know much about health insurance policies in Au and also luckily i didn't need to claim anything, so i never thought of changing it. Then as you meet more people and when you get to know how much they are spending a month on their health insurance policies a month and how much they can claim back, then you realise that you have been spending a lot of money for almost nothing being covered comparison to the other health insurers. On the top of that i have been charged approximately $15 every month for years for no reason. When i called Bupa to find out why i am charged more every month and why they do not have that cost for the same policy on their website i got the answer that its a mistake on their website. Few days after that call and 8 years after being ripped off i decided to join another health insurance agency. Bupa did call me today and now they do have the answer on why i have been charged more, they can fix for the future, but they can't give back extra money they have taken from me. They were trying to find the "best " thing for me . And my answer is NEVER AGAIN!. If you do decide to join Bupa unfortunately you have to check every month what they are charging you as most likely they will put extra money on your bell that you are not going to notice. Multiply that with the years and you can probably pay yourself a nice holiday. Don't join BUPA!

Disappointing

I joined Bupa private insurance which supposed to give $150 cashback in 2 installments. I have not got that, and even by calling them, they said it is strange and never happened and will follow that. However, the same happened to my friend last year and for me I have not got their reply yet!

Insurance claim madeYes

A very inefficient health insurance

Have been with them for more than 3 years (only because it was benefit from my employer). Terrible experience. I wouldn't know where to start. But a good summary would be that they are very inefficient in all aspects, at least that's my experience.

Do not use Bupa

12 years and no support at all , Don’t use Bupa ,they are not there for you when you need them , I was told the one thing I was concerned about would be covered , when it came to the time they say the rules changed , 10 thousand dollars now to have this procedure ,
Don’t trust them

Great Response Time

I newly signed up to Bupa and my promo code didnt go through for some reason. i sent them an email and within 24h hours they had sorted it out and responded to me. Great customer service

Hospital part-payment Refund - What a Circus

Private Hospital procedure last year that required full payment one week later. Medicare refunded 75% of scheduled fee within 2 weeks. Still calling BUPA for their 25% with the following explanations:
. Don’t have bank details and it will take up to 3 business days now that you have given them
. Paid the part-payment last year and it is an issue with my bank
. The Surgeon has claimed the amount and you will have to contact them
. The review team will assess your claim to see if this payment has already been paid
Ludicrous. Taking my business elsewhere immediately

Insurance claim madeYes

Everyones already said what needed to be said

Whats left to say really? I would explain objectively why I gave them a one star but most of the other reviews have already done so and dealing with BUPA doesn't really put me in an 'objective' mood. The only thing I will say is that after cancelling the policies for my partner and I, we also cancelled the policy for our cat. We didn't read the entire PDS (because who does right?) and so only just found out we have to pay the remaining 6 months worth of premiums for him. Now I'm not complaining about that, because reading the PDS was my responsibility. I simply mention this because I have an option to stop the cancellation, continue with the cover for my cat and then cancel the policy in six months time. I wanted to convey how much you should avoid this company by letting you (the reader) know, I still opted to cancel the policy and pay them out so that I never have to deal with them ever again.

Insurance claim madeYes

Stay away from Bupa!!! Immoral! Money-Hungry!

I have been with Bupa for 5+ years, have had two spinal surgeries (after having to wait a 12 month waiting period for pre-existing). I have NEVER changed my cover since upgrading to Hospital Cover 5 years ago, and now that I have another spinal surgery due in the coming weeks (which isn’t pre-existing) I started the communication to get ready to organize it all - only to find out Bupa have CHANGED my cover and removed cover for spinal fusions!!!

Apparently I was informed via mail, which I never received - communications from Bupa has been sporadic over the years. Their answer; we sent you the mail, as that’s your preferred communication method is, it’s your responsibility to advise if you’ve changed address. I haven’t moved nor changed address. HOW can they change our cover willy nilly as they please? They have the capacity to send out thousands of letters but don’t have the capacity to send out a letter that needs to be signed and returned - or make a phone call to ensure the customer has their information?

I have now escalated this to the ombudsman who has advised me of the media attention this company has received from removing cover as they please, and their lack of communication, and I’ll take it to QCAT if need be. This needs to STOP!!

Please, do not take up a policy with Bupa. All they want is your money, and they do not care about long term members one bit.

Insurance claim madeNo

Pet insurance is the worst

Made a claim with a critical ligament on a dog which was only 1 years old so no previous history of injury and they said that it's a preexisting injury. How can it be when shes a pup and has no history of injury. They were a disgrace to deal with.

Insurance claim madeYes

Good staff, cover the basics

I've had ambulance cover with Bupa for years (nothing else, just in case I'm in an accident). I called today to change my name in their system and the guy on the phone was a delight. He made it easy to change my details, and based on conversation he offered to transfer me to another team for more information without being pushy or obnoxious about it.
Every service has good and bad people - just always read the fine print!

Not so bad

BUPA is no different to any other health insurer. You need to read the policies and know what you are covered for. I changed to BUPA for 1 reason and that is they cover xrays and radiology supplied by Qldxray in a private hospital.
Read your policies before complaining and know what you are covered for.
I have found that when you need to talk to their customer service centre that if the initial person you speak to doesn’t know the answer then they can and will transfer you to someone who can help. Just ask.
I have had surgery since being with BUPA with no problems and my claim was paid on the day of admission. No out of pockets except my excess.
You never know when you will need a hospital admission.
Do the maths. A simple operation with a 1 week stay will cost about $15,000 in a private hospital. That’s about 10 years of premiums.
A heart attack and then open heart surgery is about $100,000 that’s about 50 years of premiums.
If you want private health care then pay for it and check what is included in your policy. Be an informed consumer.

Insurance claim madeYes

Bupa is a Ripping machine with no legit reasons for their actions

I have taken an OSHC from Bupa in November 2018 and I received my PR invitation in November itself and upon receiving the medicare card, I have been requesting them for cancellation of my exiting OSHC. I have cancelled my student visa and submitted the letter from DIBP in regards to my cancellation as well and upon requesting and submitting all the documents that they need, luckily one of the representatives cancelled my OSHC on 12/12/2018 and on 13/12/2018, it was activated gain without my permission. I don't understand who on earth give them the permission to activate my policy without my consent and plus the Customer Service manger itself is so rude, she has no legit reasons for holding on to my policy. This is the ridiculous services ever expected from a health provider. Never ever take Bupa policy.