Cabot's Aquadeck

• Coverage
  • Longevity

Richard

RichardCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

a product that seems to work as it should

I have two decks, one has had Aquadeck Merbau applied in two events, each 3 years apart. North facing centra Victoria where it is utterly baked in summer and frozen often in winter. This year a second deck constructed, and first coat just applied today (11/05/20) as its above tenC. The product is terrific, I don't know if oil would be better and I don't really care. The negative comments not his site - especially using pine - SURELY you'd do a test first instead of slinging the manufacturer. Surely.

What an amazing result

Followed the instructions to a T.
Came up amazing. Cannot recommend any product more. My brand new deck came up amazing. Stretches further than the can says. I did use all three products, deck prep, deck clean, and aquadeck.

Purchased in March 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Sue

SueCentral Queensland, QLD

Aquadeck stands tough treatment

We use aqua deck on our merbau kindy veranda, it gets 2 coats at the start of the year, has about 25 kids a day being busy on it, is mopped daily & hosed occasionally. Yes by the end of the year it is showing a bit of use, but a scrub with deckclean & recoat it's as good as ever. Went to a lot of trouble to convert from the original oil finish as it didn't cope with the treatment. Our 5 year facilities inspection last year they commented that our verandas were the only ones still looking good compared to the other centres who are still using oil. Easy to use & maintain.

Purchased at M10.

Dave A.

Dave A.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Avoid at all costs

Applied two coats after going through all the steps for treating and preparing a new deck. Used all Cabots applicators etc. After only 4 months the deck looks worn and the coating is coming up and looks terrible. Spent two days cleaning and re-sanding to apply a tradition oil that looks 100 times better. Aquadeck looks cheap and tacky in comparison.

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$170.00.

Nathan K.

Nathan K.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Cabot's Aquadeck - Not up to Scratch

Hi,
I have just spent over $350 and 3 to 4 days re-oiling my deck.
Followed all the instructions on the can as recommended with at least 2 hours dring time between coats.
I applied 2 coats with the recommeded lambs wool applicator and brush.
After 4-5 days some parts are still sticky and still captures foot prints???? Most disappointed!!

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$300.00.

Henry

HenrySouth East Queensland, QLD

Great product!

I have used Intergrain and Feast & Watson many times to coat my merbau decks.

On this occasion, I decided to use Aquadeck and I am very happy with the result! My decks look like new!!

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$185.00.

Don't do it, just don't

This stuff is a light coating you apply when you cant be bothered doing a propoer job and using oil. It doesn't bring out the natural timber colour or enhance.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse for A$60.00.

Misled and Disappointed

I would like to know how your Aquadeck product can be labelled an OIL?
Decking OIL that enhances and protects..............
We purchased this product but will be returning it as we want a decking oil and were misled by the label. Very disappointed.

Gary

GarySouth East Queensland, QLD

Avoid at all costs

Cabots beech house grey on pine deck 2 coats, I am painter by trade (automotive) so know how to apply paint evenly and to make sure paint is correctly stirred, it is impossible to do a larger area (24sq m) and have it look good, this is NOT a stain it is a base/clear PAINT with small amount of tint in it, SO SO disappointed will have to paint my lovely timber deck with a solid color, what a total waste of effort and money, being a disability penssioner with limited income and ability this product just made my life all the more difficult, Thanks Cabots /Dulux, How about marketing your products truthfully and correctly, with no shades of grey pun intended, avoid this product at all costs, and similar water based so called stains.

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$99.90.

Mic

MicSydney, NSW

Would not recommend this product

Used aquadeck merbau on my brand new pine deck, and now, as other reviews have stated, I have been left with a deck that is orange and looks like a fake tan

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$65.00.

Anthony

AnthonySydney, NSW

Product ok, application process not

Like many, followed instructions for application and find that the recommendation of using the lambwool applicators are useless. Switched to a paint roller and got much more even application without the excess bleeding of oil into the timber crevasses. Whilst great for water areas, does not prevent your timber for damage from the elements, will go oil based preventative next time for sure. If required, use only on small decks, not large as you'll regret it :(

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$140.00.

Destroys wood colour

Cabot needs to be clear that this product does not bring out the natural rich colours of the timber the way oil based products do. Rather, it changes and dulls the colour.

Purchased in July 2019 at Dulux Trade Centre for A$218.00.

Scott the Landscape PRO

Scott the Landscape PROThe Mallee, VIC

Water based deck "oil" is NOT OIL at all

DO NOT USE WATER BASED PAINT ON YOUR DECK

It is a paint membrane, its great for indoor timber but anything that is exposed the heat/cold wet/dry cycle will split the membrane allowing water to get into the timber, eventually requiring this to be all
sanded off.

Dont believe the hype on any water based product for decks, decks need oil based coating sealer, cheaper to throw away some brushes away after re-coating the deck with oil every 6 months, than pay for the deck to be re-sanded prior to re-coating with water based product.

Go with their traditional oil finish for a five star result that will cost you less in the long term.

Purchased in June 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Happy Couple

Happy CoupleSouth East Queensland, QLD

Aquadeck - does what it says

On my weather worn deck I used the deck clean product and then a first coat with Aquadeck Merbau.
At first I thought it was too thin though the finish came out nicely when it had dried.
A 2nd coat the next day and it looks great.

Very happy!

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$150.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted

Great product!!

I used merbau aquadeck oil on my new merbau timber deck.
I used the new timber prep clean followed by the Deck clean and then 2 coats of oil.
Followed directions and so far so good.
Bought all the applicators etc which cabots specify.
Looks great!!hopefully I'll get 12 months out of it before it needs recoating.
It's only been a couple of days since I did it, but barring any disasters, I will definitely use this product again
Cheers Damien

Purchased in April 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$380.00.

Amanda

AmandaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Ruined my new Blackbutt deck

So disappointed. We chose Blackbutt specifically for our deck to be a lighter wood colour look. We were absolutely in love with it UNTIL we used Cabot’s Aquadeck in Natural. It’s so dark after one coat, even though we were told at Bunnings it would only bring out the natural wood colour. We bought all the Cabot’s deck prep/brush/bucket etc and followed exactly the Cabot’s video, and under perfect conditions! One coat abc it’s dark and tacky to touch. Totally ruined a very expensive deck!!!

Purchased in April 2019 at Bunnings.

Stewart H NZ

Stewart H NZAuckland

Aquadeck is just thin very poor quality paint.

After insuring that water did not bead on my six-month-old kwila deck I applied three coats exactly as instructed. The finished look perfect. 6 months later and the 1st bare areas of wood became obvious in strong sunlight areas and by 18 months there were patchy areas of bare wood and peeling aqua deck paint all over the place. I have now done my deck with decking oil which is surprisingly far far easier to work with with it's longer drying time and ability to rub it off any inadvertently stained woodwork or other areas. I am a Dulux fan but this product is a disgrace.

Purchased in December 2015 for A$120.00.

ChAl_

ChAl_South East Queensland, QLD

No issues at all - be careful with the negative reviews and apply exactly as Cabot say

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Saloh

SalohSydney, NSW

2.5 stars

We built our granny flat/home office and used this product November 2018 on a small deck (treated pine) and on the spotted gum cladding on the walls. Initially looked great- we were really happy with the look. Felt Tacky like many reviews said but as it wasn't a high traffic area, so we were ok w it. It is now March 2019 and I've already had to apply another coat on the cladding and the deck as it was looking surprisingly tired and worn for somewhere that's not high traffic and not exposed to extreme elements. Would've thought this product would last longer than 4 months? I used 3 coats on the deck and cladding, and the timber was weathered as per instructions.

Purchased in November 2018.

Rex

RexHobart, TAS

Turns wood slightly yellow

Oiled my New spotted gum deck after weathering the timber for 8 weeks.

Applied oil on a sunny 23 degree day, did two coats using the cabots wool mop applicator.

Checked deck 24 hours later, wood is now oiled in a yellow stain, hardly a natural finish as advertised.

I am hoping in time this yellow fake tan look will fade and reveal more of a natural spotted gum look.

Veeasked

Painted the deck with water base but when dogs walk on it it leaves dirt and dust on it , and it’s hard to clean of. Is this because it’s water base can’t remember it been so bad when it was oil base

Saied

I have the same issue with my dog except it’s a great Dane, so it leaves massive muddy footprints everywhere. I find sugar soap cleaned it right up perfectly, using a Deck brush and bucket of water and hose off as you go.

Vee

Ok thanks yeah I have a Great Dane to so really looking forward to cleaning more. I will give that a try.

Hi Vee!

Thanks so much for your question! I know it can be a pain when stubborn dirt marks are not easy to wash off!
Like Saied mentioned, diluted Sugar Soap will work well. Or you could consider our Deck Wash;

Which is a non abrasive Timber Cleaner designed to go with our coatings. This will clean the surface of the timber removing any stubborn dirt marks while keeping the coating looking fresh in between coats!
Dilute this into water and scrub on to the timber using a stiff bristle broom.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to give us a call on 1800 011 006.
Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST.

Cheers - Team Cabot's

Susie

Susieasked

What are the ingredients of this product. I want to know if it’s safe to use on my vegetable box

Hi Susie,

You're best to give us a call on 1800 011 006 - we will need to ask you a few questions to determine if this is the correct product for you!

thanks, Team Cabot's

LDT

LDTasked

We completed 2 coats for Aquadeck to our new deck 11 days ago. The deck had weathered for about 4 weeks prior to that. We have had no furniture etc on the deck to make sure enough time to cure.
We carefully moved our outdoor furniture back on to the deck today (they have non scratch protective feet) and then hubby put our bbq back into the deck (on top of a bbq mat for protection). However, he put the base of the bbq on a thick towel and dragged it along the deck which left one long scuff mark. Not happy Jan!
Is there anything we can do to reduce the appearance of the one long scuff mark??

Hi LDT,

Thanks for reaching out to us. So sorry to hear this is happened!
It does depend on how large or deep the scuff mark might be, for this reason please give us a call on 1800 011 006. As we will need to ask you a few further questions!

Thanks - Team Cabot's

Get an answer from our members and Cabot's representatives