Cabot's Natural Decking Oil

• Ease of Application
  • Coverage
  • Longevity

Like it

Purchased in July 2019 for A$169.00.

Dave A.

Dave A.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Perfect finish

Traditional Oil that leaves the wood popping and looking strong and clean. Job can be done in a day when first coat goes down in the morning. Use this over Aquadeck everyday.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$70.00.

Natural Decking Oil - Traditional Pine colour

Used it on a recently constructed treated pine deck in Auckland, NZ. Timber had weathered for about 2 months before the application and the first coat went on without any issues. I like the way it soaked right in and the surface is already beading. The hue is exactly as per the samples - it has added some depth to pine but without the annoying yellow tinge of the "natural" colour option. Looking to apply the second coat soon but, given the surface is already half sealed, will probably dilute a bit and go really light with a lambswool pad. Very happy so far - the result is what I expected. The deck is roofed over so looking to refresh it with a light coat every 2-3 years. Well done Cabot.

Purchased in December 2019.

Scott the Landscape PRO

Scott the Landscape PROThe Mallee, VIC

Can be applied strait away, will need to be reapplied every 6-12 mths depending on climate

Oil biased finishes are the only way to go for hardwood decks in Australia.
Though they will need to be reapplied every 6-12 months when it stops beading water on the surface
Great penetration, recommended.

Purchased in January 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$140.00.

Mark B.

Mark B.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Aquadeck disappointing

I found Aquadeck to be a very poor finish and are disappointed.
Before using Aquadeck I had half a can of a Cabots water based decking oil, transparent. It was lighter yellowish in color and had excellent even finish. I cannot find this quality product and assume it's no longer available

Purchased in April 2019 for A$75.00.

Jason O

Jason OMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Don't waste your time

I constructed a 50 square metre fully exposed deck around my pool out of out of jarrah. Due to the complexity of the project and trying to fit around work/life it took me 6 months to finish. Once completed I waited about 4 weeks before oiling. Therefore the boards had been weathered for between one and seven months. I prepared it according to instructions using Cabots Deck Clean followed by 2 coats of Natural Decking Oil 24 hours apart. It looked good initially but within a few weeks it started to fade and by the 3 month mark timber looked completely uncoated and water was not beading at all. Have just put cutek on it, twice the price but hopefully it will last longer than a couple of months.

Purchased in September 2018 at Bunnings for A$152.00.

Painted SurfaceWood

Pretty good bang for buck

Cabots or Feast Watson

Previously used feast watson stuff and its is rubbish. Basically goes on like paint and does not absorb into the wood (my deck is kwila) $$ and the colour has an awful orange tint to it.I applied 3 coats basically over a period of 6 month I Had to sand it all back basically to bare wood huge job in itself.and used cabots decking oil kwila wow nice stuff totally different more natural look easy to apply and you can see it absorb into the wood.Will never use or recommend feast watson dont waste your money its crap.

Not as good as I'd heard

The oil dries in a reasonable time but if like me you're not doing large areas all the time the balance of the oil turns into a jelly after 8 - 10 months. I've bought the cheap oil and it keeps much better and is ready to use next season. This has happened to me twice with the Cabot's and I won't be getting it a third time.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

ClaysaO

ClaysaOGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Easy and fast

Was a no fuss procedure. I just followed the instructions and put a bit of time into prep. I did notice that it took quite a bit of stirring to get the yellow flakey bits broken up but it wasn’t a deal breaker. The next morning the deck looks excellent with no streaks.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Won't dry

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Max

MaxGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Too yellow, not clear or transperant as Natural should be, not good for new spotted gum decking.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Third Time Decking has been Oiled

I just finished 2 coats of Cabot’s Oil Based Decking Oil. I put on 2 coats with a drying period of 7 hrs between coats. Temperature on the day was 19 - 25 degrees. Prior to oiling the deck I used the Cabot’s deck wash product which was good. This is the first time I have used Oil-based Cabot’s as the 2previous times it was water-based product Aquadeck.
The result this time was poor and it has not bought out the true colour or given a fresh colour but is has come out neutral and you can still see the areas that were protected and had a darker colour. Has this occurred because this Oil-based product is a “transperant” product or should I use another colour.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Very orange on treated pine

Easy to apply - dried in stated time but it is very yellow/orange. Wish I had seen that it was tinted. Natural implied to me that there was no colour but my bad for not reading the tin more closely. Will be re-oiling with another colour to get rid of the orange tint.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
James F.Cabot's
dino

dinoMid North Coast, NSW

Cabot's was a fast, no mess fix for my deck

I used Cabot's natural deck oil to restore my faded, patchy deck. First, I washed the deck with Deck Clean, let it dry and then used 2 coats of Cabot's using a brush, to minimise waste.
The second coat went on just 6 hours after the first coat, and the deck came up as good as new! 1 litre does 10 square metres, and with just 2 coats, Cabot's worked out a lot cheaper than other deck oils.
20 months on and still looking great!

Date PurchasedMar 2017
James F.Cabot's

Hi Dino, Thanks a lot for the great feedback. Hope you've enjoyed your deck over Summer. If you need any assistance for maintenance on your deck or other timber surfaces, please call us on 1800 011 006.
The Cabot’s Team.

beautiful, even finish

Date PurchasedAug 2015
Garth M.Cabot's

Best product to show australian red wood colours and grain

60m2 of australian red wood decking. (Plus 100m2 of ornamental red wood timber fencing). Found cabots natural decking oil to best complement red/purple colours and grain, tested all major brands.
This week scrubbed deck with napisan (used to use cabots deck clean) which worked well with pressure hose after.
Sanded deck. Applied first coat, normally wait only 6hrs, but left for 12hrs before recoat. First coat not tacky after 12hrs, recoat not terribly tacky after 10hrs.
It takes time to prepare and oil properly, but the tin instructions are correct if you do the right thing.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Marshall

MarshallGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

(long drying time but) lasts at least as well as much more expensive products

Date PurchasedNov 2013

Hi Marshall,
Glad you're happy with Natural Decking Oil. Please call us if you have any further feedback on 1800 011 006.

Ewan s

Ewan sHunter Region, NSW

Does the job and saves the timber

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Applicator left fluff

Hi I had my decking re oiled by a person and they purchased Cabot's applicator and oil from Bunnings. When he went to apply the oil, fluff came off the applicator quite a lot. It took some time to remove the fluff before the second application and this time he used my old applicator. I can still see some of the fluff but I am very disappointed that this occurred from such a good name brand. The decking turned out great apart from that..

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Will K.Cabot's

Priscilla T.

Priscilla T.asked

Hello,
I have a put a natural oil over my deck- two coats and it’s gone yellow. Am I able to stain the decking to make it light in colour again? Will it remove the yellow stain? I wanted a blonde look the way blackbutt looks unstained. Thank you

Ajtek

Natural appears to have a yellow tone so I used traditional pine which masks it with a light grey tint. I would wait till your deck is ready for another coat - water not beading anymore - and go with traditional pine over natural. Will still have a yellow tinge but more subtle

Hello Priscilla!

Thanks for your question. Just like Ajtek mentioned, you will need to wait until the timber is ready for another coat before re-coating the timber with a stain. Water droplets penetrating the surface of the timber in under 15 seconds is an indication that the timber is ready for a new coat.

For the time being though, you may want to consider applying one coat of the Natural Decking Oil in the Merbau tint over what you already have - the slight brown tint in the Merbau Natural Decking Oil will help mute those yellow tones.
If this is something you would like to try, I highly recommend testing a small hidden area to ensure you're happy with the colour results.

If you would like to discuss this further, or need any advice on an up-coming project, give our Help & Advice team a call on 1800 011 006. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST.

Cheers - Team Cabot's

Dave H.

Dave H.asked

Hi can i spray decking oil with a compressor spray gun

Rachel S.

Rachel S.asked

What is wrong if the second coat is beading up? I waited 24 hrs to do the second coat and it wasnt humid and feels dry.

Hello Rachel,

It sounds like the timber may be retaining some moisture. I would recommend to give us a call on 1800 011 006, so we can ask you a few extra questions, and offer you a suitable solution.

Cheers - Team Cabot's

Get an answer from our members and Cabot's representatives