CGU Home and Contents Insurance

CGU Home and Contents Insurance

Janet E.North Queensland, QLD

CGU does not answer written correspondence

BrendenCentral Queensland, QLD

Worst process ever

Their policy has not been good value. My tv was damaged beyond repair. I was told I had to take a tv from a preferred supplier both of which are over priced. They told me it was new for old replacement yet couldn't provide the model number of the tv they were offering me. They keep telling me to refer to the PDU which is average at best and refused to settle with funds transferred to my account even though They have done this for me on a previous occasion.

Type of ClaimImpact at Home
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Brenden

Pretty average when you guys don't state the process from the start. I work out of town as well and was forced between going for 2 providers for my tv which both i am not easily able to access. This fell on deaf ears as well.

Care TeamCGU

Sorry for the inconvenience Brenden. We will pass on this feedback to claims for you. ~ Lizzy

scott

scottGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Not the best

Used to have house insurance with them. When we had a problem with our roof they wouldn't pay. They said our policy doesn't cover that kind of thing. They put it down to building defect but the house was over 30 years without issue prior to that. My bank assigned them for me which I will never do again. Shop around and get all the details of what is covered. I pay the same price and get all sorts of extra cover from another insurance company.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Stella Q

Stella QGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Claims process is offshored - disgusting service

Twice I have had to UNFORTUNATELY deal with CGU when processing a claim which unfortunately wasnt my fault. First had to go through ombudsman as it took 10 weeks to solve for. Stressful and disgusting process. Second time - was hit by a car and what is a distressing process is taken by an offshored person who has no empathy or understands what your saying. Wrong information provided and just left with no follow up unless you call multiple times. Check where you are being serviced! I am cancelling all my policies with CGU

Claim DateOctober 2019

Perfect

The best insurance very cooperative. 5 star rating. Highly recommending this insurance. The best insurance i have ever experienced. Thanks for this service. Bye bye bye cv hg hh hh

Claim DateFebruary 2018

Hi Karan, thank you your the positive feedback. ~ Jono

BE AWARE OF CGU & ABC ( Australian Building & Construction)!!!

Claim DateJanuary 2019

Chris C.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Shame on you CGU!!!

Claim DateMarch 2019

26/11/19
Please stop pretending that you care. It is now 9 months and CGU has treated us with nothing but disdain and closed the case. Thieves!
I hope every customer switches to another insurance company. This experience has been hell.

Charmin

CharminSouth East Queensland, QLD

CGU INSURANCE IS THE BEST INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVERY DEALT WITH

Property TypeOther
Type of ClaimImpact at Home
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2018
Care TeamCGU

Hi Charmin, it always makes us happy to hear about great claim experiences especially in our hobby farm department! Glad to hear your tractor is back up and running. :) Thank you for your positive feedback. ~Natalie

How good is cgu

We joined up with CGU last year on a recommendation and we had a tree go through our roof yesterday in a storm, and instead of bothering emergency services we got onto CGU. Amaaaazing response and instant help, an electrician was at our door within an hour and the roof was repaired to stop further damage not long after. Within 24 hours the tree was cut and wood tidily stacked and any debris cleared all whilst taking care to do no further damage. We are so impressed and recommend them to anyone who is considering household insurance. Thank you for making what was a very stressful situation a breeze to nagivate.

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Care TeamCGU

Hi Rebekah, thank you so much for sharing your positive claims experience, we are pleased to see the issues was resolved so quickly. Thank you again. ~Kaz

Kathryn F.

Kathryn F.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Cgu is the worst

Dont go there! We are struggling big time because of cgu, its been about four months now, we keep calling and they keep ignoring us. If you are with cgu jump ship! I couldnt stress this enough

Claim DateJanuary 2019

Chris H.South East Queensland, QLD

review on price and cover

just moved my policies to CGU and i am now covered for what NRMA denied my claim for and the premiums are less, lets hope if i have to claim they still achieve 5 stars

Care TeamCGU

Hey Chris, thanks for the review and for insuring with CGU! Glad to hear you are so far happy. ~Natalie

Chris H.

thanks, but once again i have to stress you only know how good your insurance co is when you are making a claim so fingers crossed.....

Heath

Absolute rubbish, I will never recommend, deserves zero stars!!

I have been with CGU for nearly 20 years with 2 claims in that time. First one took ages to sort after a cyclone because they tried to get out of paying. Now this one is post a break in, initial approved but wouldn't pay it cash but wanted me to use 'their preferred shops'! They get kickbacks of course. They then reversed part of the claim and then low balled me due to wanting cash due to living remote and needing to defer purchases. It is a cheap practice as most people will struggle to prove ownership of things older but stolen!! I've been robbed twice, now by CGU... They put the FU in CGU. Do not insure with CGU or anything owned by AIG!!! Oh, don't get ducked in by what they say either, money is their ultimate goal, not you!!

Property TypeOther
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMay 2019
Heath

It has already gone through your internal review and same result. My only option is AFCA. People don't be fooled by the response on here from CGU, it is all smoke and mirrors!! They don't actually care...

AWFUL customer service

Customer service is appalling.

1) I had to call them three times to make a claim against one of their policy holders. It took month!
2) I was supposed to get a call to confirm my appointment to get my car fixed (3 months after accident) - NOTHING - I had to call them!
3) I was supposed to get a hire car - NOTHING - I am on hold for over 50 minutes!!! Worse than Centrelink!!!!

If I ever considered moving insurance companies - I certainly wouldn't change to CGU!

Claim DateFebruary 2019

Billy

BillyPerth, WA

Slow service and still not paperless

Been with them for years as they have the best landlords insurance unfortunately. When I do make a claim the service is so slow and they never reply to emails - you have to follow up with a call to get a semi decent response. To add to that I've been asking for paperless for years but they still send invoices in the mail with T & C's which are available online.

Type of ClaimImpact at Home and Storm and Rainwater
Claim DateDecember 2018
Care TeamCGU

Hi Billy, thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate you sharing your thoughts, we will be sure to pass them over to the team! ~Kaz

KCHSydney, NSW

Terrible Service

Been with CGU insurance for 4 years now, in the beginning service was great. The claims process was very efficient. Seems like they have moved the operations to overseas and its just gone terrible. it seems like speaking to some kids who don't understand the claims process. sorry CGU I will be moving all my insurances from your company soon.

Claim DateApril 2019
KCH

Thanks for the reply but don't use facebook.

Care TeamCGU

I understand KCH. You can call us on 13 24 80 to discuss this further and escalate your concerns if needed. Sorry there isn't more we can do here, thanks for sharing. ~Jamie

John

JohnMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Really, more than one star,?

I have dealt recently with CGU, I find it very hard to believe that they can achieve more than one star, one star is actually too high a rating for a company that can make an open and shut case claim seem like a real long shot that you will be compensated for your loss. They take the money every month without fail, but seem to have lost sight of why. This site should allow more options such as half a star, a quarter star, maybe even a pig emoji. I will move on to a different insurer wiser for the experience.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateSeptember 2018
Care TeamCGU

seems from the reviews they will pay out small costs but not big ones

Marg
Marg

LizSydney, NSW

Very Very poor customer service Terrible is un understatement

Dave

DaveVictoria

While we were holidaying a pipe burst in the ceiling of our home. This resulted in considerable damage making the house uninhabitable. CGU arranged for work to commence the day we reported the damage. They paid for alternative accommodation whilst the building was repaired. The damage was repaired to a very high standard, carpets and damaged furniture replaced, etc. I could not fault the service they provided. They phoned three months after we moved back into the house to ascertain that everything was okay.

Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Care TeamCGU

Thanks for sharing Dave. So lovely to hear that your claims experience was 5 star! ~Renae

Misrepresentation, ill practice and complete lack of integrity !!

My husband and I recently purchased home contents insurance through CGU and were affected by the Townsville floods. CGU accepted our claim initially, sent assessors to inspect the damage and offered us immediate financial assistance then did a complete backflip stating we weren’t covered due to a technicality. Due to their misrepresentation and direction, we disposed of our damaged contents and now they are saying they are not liable for anything. We have lost our entire home and have nothing left. It’s an absolute disgrace, considering we are both serving members of the ADF and were involved in the flood response.

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Claim DateFebruary 2019

Etimoni V.asked

Hello I dry to send are receipt to ur claim email but I give it to me can't send I don't know that the right email. claim@cgu.com.au Any help?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Etimoni, you have made just a slight typing mistake. The correct email address is claims@cgu.com.au. ~ Jono

Rosie

Rosieasked

Do you insure relocatable homes?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Rosie. We cover homes that are permanently fixed to the site with water and sewage connections. There are other insurers that have specific cover for things like on-site caravans. But not us. I hope this helps. ~ Jono

zoeshipscat

zoeshipscatasked

During Cyclone Marcus in March, a large gumtree from the footpath on the OPPOSITE side of the road fell on our house, causing some damage which the CGU Insurance has accepted. CGU rejected other damage including cracks in the plaster mouldings etc caused by movement of the house when the trees hit it. Leak Detection have now discovered that we also have a "massive leak" from a burst water pipe under the tiled verandah slab which will necessitate a large excavation through the tiles and slab. There is no visible evidence of water damage as the break is under the slab. Estimates of cost to dig through the tiled slab to repair the pipe range from "$3,000 to $4,000" to "about $10,000". CGU opened a claim for me, but a couple of days later said CGU do not pay to "repair water leaks" unless there is obvious damage to the house. Surely a "massive leak" which requires a large area of the tiled cement slab to be dug up would count as damage to the house? Does anybody have any advice?

Lin
Lin

Go to your lawyer.

RJ
RJ

Hi. Sorry to hear uve had damage to ur home from something that wasnt on your property! All i can say is a few years ago, new years eve, i came home early hours of the morning in an intoxicated way..lol.. and before hitting the hay i used the bathroom and it was making a noise like it was constantly filling up, i touched the tap behind the loo and the thing exploded in my hand, shot off the wall and sprayed the area in water. The next day i rang cgu about it and they said they would cover and damage to flooring & fixtures (vanity etc) that have been ruined but wont pay for the plumber. In the end i didnt bother to put in a claim because i contained the water quickly & it didnt cause any real damage (very proud.. even in my drunken state!).. i think however u have a case for it to be reviewed by someone higher than a claim manager. Read through their PDS booklet & see if u can find something about it in there that may assist you. Half the time they dont even know whats written in their own product disclosure.. you can also seek legal advice if they wont come to the party. Wish you the best.

Etimoni V.

Sorry I need are email to claim department

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives