CGU INSURANCE IS THE BEST INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVERY DEALT WITH

We use CGU for our hobby farm, domestic home and contents insurance. I love that we can easily ask questions via e-mail to the customer service team regarding our insurance options. Everything is listed in writing and no question is too silly for them to answer. I feel like I know exactly what we are covered for. Everything is a breeze.

We slipped down a hill and smashed our tractor just after purchasing it, and only a few days after signing up with CGU! We were SO scared that they wouldn't approve our claim. To our relief, CGU approved the claim with absolutely no trouble. When given the option to either buy parts individually (cheaper for CGU) or replace the entire front end loader, they replaced the loader to ensure we had our tractor back as quickly as possible. It made such a difference to us as we were able to continue with our work.

CGU is hands down the best insurance company I have ever dealt with. I'm not sure how they compare in price but the ease they are to deal with and the claims process mean we wouldn't ever consider going to another insurance company, regardless of price.

Highly Recommended!

Property TypeOther
Type of ClaimImpact at Home
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2018
Hi Charmin, it always makes us happy to hear about great claim experiences especially in our hobby farm department! Glad to hear your tractor is back up and running. :) Thank you for your positive feedback. ~Natalie

How good is cgu

We joined up with CGU last year on a recommendation and we had a tree go through our roof yesterday in a storm, and instead of bothering emergency services we got onto CGU. Amaaaazing response and instant help, an electrician was at our door within an hour and the roof was repaired to stop further damage not long after. Within 24 hours the tree was cut and wood tidily stacked and any debris cleared all whilst taking care to do no further damage. We are so impressed and recommend them to anyone who is considering household insurance. Thank you for making what was a very stressful situation a breeze to nagivate.

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Hi Rebekah, thank you so much for sharing your positive claims experience, we are pleased to see the issues was resolved so quickly. Thank you again. ~Kaz

Cgu is the worst

Dont go there! We are struggling big time because of cgu, its been about four months now, we keep calling and they keep ignoring us. If you are with cgu jump ship! I couldnt stress this enough

Type of ClaimVandalism/Malicious Damage
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Hi Kathryn, definitely dissapointing to hear we've made you feel this way. Was it regarding a claim? If so - we encourage you to PM us through Facebook so we can get it escalated for you. Please let us know you've come from Product Review and include your claim/policy details. ~Natalie https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/.

review on price and cover

just moved my policies to CGU and i am now covered for what NRMA denied my claim for and the premiums are less, lets hope if i have to claim they still achieve 5 stars

Claim MadeNo
Hey Chris, thanks for the review and for insuring with CGU! Glad to hear you are so far happy. ~Nataliethanks, but once again i have to stress you only know how good your insurance co is when you are making a claim so fingers crossed.....

Absolute rubbish, I will never recommend, deserves zero stars!!

I have been with CGU for nearly 20 years with 2 claims in that time. First one took ages to sort after a cyclone because they tried to get out of paying. Now this one is post a break in, initial approved but wouldn't pay it cash but wanted me to use 'their preferred shops'! They get kickbacks of course. They then reversed part of the claim and then low balled me due to wanting cash due to living remote and needing to defer purchases. It is a cheap practice as most people will struggle to prove ownership of things older but stolen!! I've been robbed twice, now by CGU... They put the FU in CGU. Do not insure with CGU or anything owned by AIG!!! Oh, don't get ducked in by what they say either, money is their ultimate goal, not you!!

Property TypeOther
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMay 2019
Hi Heath, I am disappointed to hear you have been unhappy with both claims you have made with us. If you still have unresolved claims issues please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/ . Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ JonoIt is a waste of time. I have gone through your internal process and now only have the option of AFCA. This is as per your complaints staff. Commenting on here like you are going to fix anything just makes the public think you will resolve it, which is utter rubbishIt has already gone through your internal review and same result. My only option is AFCA. People don't be fooled by the response on here from CGU, it is all smoke and mirrors!! They don't actually care...

AWFUL customer service

Customer service is appalling.

1) I had to call them three times to make a claim against one of their policy holders. It took month!
2) I was supposed to get a call to confirm my appointment to get my car fixed (3 months after accident) - NOTHING - I had to call them!
3) I was supposed to get a hire car - NOTHING - I am on hold for over 50 minutes!!! Worse than Centrelink!!!!

If I ever considered moving insurance companies - I certainly wouldn't change to CGU!

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Hi Bec, you have posted this review under our Home and Contents page. Did you mean to post it here? If you are not at fault you can claim through your own insurer and they can charge us for the costs of your claim. This will save you managing the claim yourself and since you already have a relationship with your insurer you may prefer to deal with them. ~ Jono

Slow service and still not paperless

Been with them for years as they have the best landlords insurance unfortunately. When I do make a claim the service is so slow and they never reply to emails - you have to follow up with a call to get a semi decent response. To add to that I've been asking for paperless for years but they still send invoices in the mail with T & C's which are available online.

Type of ClaimImpact at Home and Storm and Rainwater
Claim DateDecember 2018
Hi Billy, thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate you sharing your thoughts, we will be sure to pass them over to the team! ~Kaz

Terrible Service

Been with CGU insurance for 4 years now, in the beginning service was great. The claims process was very efficient. Seems like they have moved the operations to overseas and its just gone terrible. it seems like speaking to some kids who don't understand the claims process. sorry CGU I will be moving all my insurances from your company soon.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateApril 2019
Hi KCH, thanks for your review and sorry to hear you are unhappy with the claims process, can you PM our Facebook page please and explain exactly what happened that you are unhappy with along with your claim number so we can pass on your feedback to the team. Thanks so much. ~KazThanks for the reply but don't use facebook.I understand KCH. You can call us on 13 24 80 to discuss this further and escalate your concerns if needed. Sorry there isn't more we can do here, thanks for sharing. ~Jamie

Really, more than one star,?

I have dealt recently with CGU, I find it very hard to believe that they can achieve more than one star, one star is actually too high a rating for a company that can make an open and shut case claim seem like a real long shot that you will be compensated for your loss. They take the money every month without fail, but seem to have lost sight of why. This site should allow more options such as half a star, a quarter star, maybe even a pig emoji. I will move on to a different insurer wiser for the experience.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateSeptember 2018
Hi John. Thank you for providing your feedback. If you are having trouble with a claim and would like us to help use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and a bit more information about your current claim and we will have someone get in contact with you to help. ~ Jono

seems from the reviews they will pay out small costs but not big ones

I was convinced by my credit union (why are they selling insurance anyway?) to change to CGU. In trust I transferred across to CGU and 6 months later a storm damaged part of the asbestos fence at the back of the property. It has fallen over. they say they won't pay anything because it has fallen over but isn't damaged??? and that the bottom strut that was holding it was rusted. I only moved in 6 months ago. my neighbours insurance company, which by the way was the one I was with prior to CGU, has no problem paying out immediately for his half of removal of the fence and replacement. so now I have to spend time going through the insurance ombudsman asking for assistance. CGU never had much of a reputation, I was reluctant to change over but the bank manager said if they ever give me a hard time he would advocate for me because they want the credit union's custom. Of course the bank manager won't look at it and won't do anything. He's probably skulking under his desk somewhere. Counting the money CGU gives him for conning customers. Both the Credit Union representative and CGU have behaved unethically. Do you guys really want that kind of reputation? you cant hide behind an inhuman business wall all the time surey? this is people who pay you in trust, your families, your friends, people who struggle, don't you get embarrassed at your dishonesty? I'll be letting my networks know of this poor response.

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Marg, thank you for providing feedback on your current claims experience. If you haven't already escalated your claim complaint with us internally use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review. ~ Jonoyour reply is actually the third you have sent on here. you know I have not escalated but have cancelled my two policies because you refused to allow the claim, and that CGU gave me back $1.80c or thereabout so don't pretend for this review that you are doing anything for me. that's just plain naughty. Have a good day.

Very Very poor customer service Terrible is un understatement

Have had a problem with a fencing issue. Have asked for technical assistance as suggested by council. Its now been three weeks have phone just about every day, numerous times a day and have not got anywhere. Keep being told that we will receive a call back from supervisor's etc. No calls have been returned. When you phone them and the phone drops out they never call back.
I have been with this company for over 30 years, have numerous properties insured with them and this is how they treat you.
I am now looking for a new insurance company for 3 properties and am going to get in touch with the insurance ombudsman and A Current Affair, I'm sure [name removed] going to love this story.

Would I recommend this company definitely NOT.
Not impressed with anything from this company at all

Claim MadeNo
We thought giving you a chance to help try and rectify the problem before posting the review would help the matter. But the response that we were given was to write a written complaint and was given a link to go to. Once again sending your good paying customers around in circles. After three weeks we are past that. If you are on this review page looking for an Insurance company, we would advise very strongly not to go with CGUHi Liz, once again apologises for the delay in getting back to you. I have just sent you a message about this. But just to confirm, if there is anything we can escalate for you, please let us know your claim number and we will get this to our claims team and organise a call back as soon as possible. Thank you Liz. ~Jamie

While we were holidaying a pipe burst in the ceiling of our home. This resulted in considerable damage making the house uninhabitable. CGU arranged for work to commence the day we reported the damage. They paid for alternative accommodation whilst the building was repaired. The damage was repaired to a very high standard, carpets and damaged furniture replaced, etc. I could not fault the service they provided. They phoned three months after we moved back into the house to ascertain that everything was okay.

Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks for sharing Dave. So lovely to hear that your claims experience was 5 star! ~Renae

Misrepresentation, ill practice and complete lack of integrity !!

My husband and I recently purchased home contents insurance through CGU and were affected by the Townsville floods. CGU accepted our claim initially, sent assessors to inspect the damage and offered us immediate financial assistance then did a complete backflip stating we weren’t covered due to a technicality. Due to their misrepresentation and direction, we disposed of our damaged contents and now they are saying they are not liable for anything. We have lost our entire home and have nothing left. It’s an absolute disgrace, considering we are both serving members of the ADF and were involved in the flood response.

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Hi Cate J, sounds like you and your family have been through a devastating experience. We have processes in place that you can follow to have this escalated and looked into. We want our customers to feel safe and supported and this is not how we have left you feeling. If you would like to chat to the Social Team in depth you can message us privately via Facebook Messenger. I have also included the link to the resolution process document https://www.cgu.com.au/sites/default/files/media/about-cgu/customer_feedback_complaint.pdf ~Renae

My preferred insurer

I've been with CGU on and off for well over 20 years, for both house and car. In that time l have made a few claims and have found that every single claim experience has been simple and fast. I have switched over the years to other insurers as they offered cheaper premiums and excess but when it came to making a claim they used every trick in the book not to assist. So l have always come back to CGU, l recommend them over any other insurer l have tried.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks so much for sharing your feedback Mishka, we absolutely appreciate you taking the time to post your experience. We are happy to have been able to protect you over the years and we hope we can continue to provide you with the service you enjoy :) ~Lochy

Expected better

After being with CGU for 27 years made few claims and have been paying premiums on all policies of over $10000 a year for the last 15 years. We had a leek from our roof that damaged carpet in a downstairs bedroom and upstairs lounge area where a large section of carpet had to be removed. After making a dispute on our claim of just covering the lounge and not the joining dining/formal room upstairs which we can’t match the carpet, if we have to settle for the one room we will have pay for the other room ourself. I thought we paid for premium insurance but only get average cover. For the sake of $3000 that they won’t come to the party for we will be taking our $10,000 premiums elsewhere.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Tone. I am sorry to hear about your claim. We can't comment directly about your claim via Product Review but if you are unhappy with the claims decision you are able to ask for a manager review and then escalate to our customer relations team if you need to. Here is the link to our complaints page which will help you through the process to get any decisions overturned. www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions. ~ JonoAlready tried that. I just took my business elsewhere.

Zero Integrity

Daylight robbery is essentially what they do. I had a ceiling collapse in my garage. The assessor sent out by CGU and a private assessor I hired myself said that this happened at no fault of mine and the house and roof was in immaculate condition and that there was insufficient amount of glue in the ceiling which no one could have known at the time of buying the house. CGU denied the claim saying it was "wear and tear". The house is 10 years old - ceilings that are immaculate do not fall off due to wear and tear. Highly recommend you avoid them! They also never check emails and frequent "disconnect" the phone mid conversation if they can't come up with a rebuttal.
I think one just needs to look at the majority of reviews on this website to see that CGU is running a con job with no integrity and respect in the work that they do. For about $100-150 more, you could get much more trustworthy insurance (eg: RAA). Highly recommend to avoid!!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Paroma, you are well within your rights to lodge a complaint with the claims manger if you are unhappy with the claims decision. If we can help you with this, please PM this page or PM our Facebook page, happy to help you with the process. ~Kaz

Perfect always helpful

Hi

I am ultimate health member of Bupa and have CGU insurance as well. They have been good so far with me. Recommended

Insurance claim madeYes
Thank you very much for your review Jamm, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. ~Kaz

Disgusting lack of service

Six years with you and paying you for service that is not worth paying for, put in a damage claim and it has been the worst customer service I have ever received. That is if you call me having to contact you again and again and then offered a replacement at half the price shame on you CGU will be removing all my insurance from you.

Insurance claim madeYes

Horrible service for our Home claim

Came back from holidays noticed that the timber floor is damaged due to water leak. CGU rejected the claims based on the fact that they could not find the cause of the leak !

Insurance claim madeYes
Sorry to hear about that Hossein, although we do not manage the claims directly if you could provide us with your claim number we would be happy to have this escalated for you to try and ensure everything has been done to investigate this claim for you. It can take a few days to arrange a callback but we will certainly get this looked into for you ASAP. ~LochyMy CGU claim manager was very tardy. I had to call her every week to get a reply. Took over 8 weeks to get an inspection and an unfair knock back. I learnt my lesson that CGU is not trustworthy. Luckily it was only a small claim. I am not goining to waste my time with further review. I am transferring my policy to a different insurer.Sorry to hear that Hossein. thank you for letting us know, we will pass on your feedback to the home claims team. ~Kaz

No customer loyalty.

3 insurance policies consistent for 11 years with not one claim for anything. CGU just screwed me on one of the policies due to a slight circumstance change. They basically won’t insure me because one of my buildings is vacant now. It’s a pity I didn’t know this last month when I renewed because I would of found someone elsewhere takes their business more seriously to take all 3 policies. CGU obviously are good at taking your money when it suits them. They are obviously a company of scumbag thieves and rogues disguised in nice suits. I am certainly now of the belief that the CEO is a money hungry maggot.
God help you if your house burns down.
Do not be tricked and deceived by these filthy dogs.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Dunolly, Sorry that you have been left feeling so frustrated. We certainly do not intend anyone to feel like this. If you would like your matter escalated you can PM us your private information via Facebook Messenger. We would be happy to review your circumsntance and make sure you have been given the correct information ~RenaeAnyone who thinks that CGU looks after their customers is an idiot. CGU takes your money when it suits them. God help someone who’s house burns to the ground. My advice. CGU is not for you.

Hello I dry to send are receipt to ur claim email but I give it to me can't send I don't know that the right email. claim@cgu.com.au Any help?
Hi Etimoni, you have made just a slight typing mistake. The correct email address is claims@cgu.com.au. ~ Jono

Do you insure relocatable homes?
Hi Rosie. We cover homes that are permanently fixed to the site with water and sewage connections. There are other insurers that have specific cover for things like on-site caravans. But not us. I hope this helps. ~ Jono

During Cyclone Marcus in March, a large gumtree from the footpath on the OPPOSITE side of the road fell on our house, causing some damage which the CGU Insurance has accepted. CGU rejected other damage including cracks in the plaster mouldings etc caused by movement of the house when the trees hit it. Leak Detection have now discovered that we also have a "massive leak" from a burst water pipe under the tiled verandah slab which will necessitate a large excavation through the tiles and slab. There is no visible evidence of water damage as the break is under the slab. Estimates of cost to dig through the tiled slab to repair the pipe range from "$3,000 to $4,000" to "about $10,000". CGU opened a claim for me, but a couple of days later said CGU do not pay to "repair water leaks" unless there is obvious damage to the house. Surely a "massive leak" which requires a large area of the tiled cement slab to be dug up would count as damage to the house? Does anybody have any advice?
Go to your lawyer.Hi. Sorry to hear uve had damage to ur home from something that wasnt on your property! All i can say is a few years ago, new years eve, i came home early hours of the morning in an intoxicated way..lol.. and before hitting the hay i used the bathroom and it was making a noise like it was constantly filling up, i touched the tap behind the loo and the thing exploded in my hand, shot off the wall and sprayed the area in water. The next day i rang cgu about it and they said they would cover and damage to flooring & fixtures (vanity etc) that have been ruined but wont pay for the plumber. In the end i didnt bother to put in a claim because i contained the water quickly & it didnt cause any real damage (very proud.. even in my drunken state!).. i think however u have a case for it to be reviewed by someone higher than a claim manager. Read through their PDS booklet & see if u can find something about it in there that may assist you. Half the time they dont even know whats written in their own product disclosure.. you can also seek legal advice if they wont come to the party. Wish you the best.Sorry I need are email to claim department

CategoryHome and Contents Insurance
Contact Number 13 24 81
24-Hour Phone Contact No
Online Live Chat No
Other Insurance Types Offered Car, Home and Contents, Landlord, Motorcycle and Travel