CGU Home and Contents Insurance

• Home & Contents (11)
    • Contents Only (5)
    • Home Only (2)

JasonHunter Region, NSW

Don't pay when you claim!!

After moving house we found that there had been accidental damage to some furniture. When I called up to make the claim the CGU employee asked when the damage occurred. I stated that the damage happeed at some point during taking the furniture apart, loading it, transporting it, unloading and reassembly. CGU's position was that unless we could point to specific moment at which the damage occurred it is not covered. I eplained to th operator that I was not willing to lie about the moment the damage occurred or fabricate an event just to get a payout. This company happily takes your money but does NOT cover you, they are unethical and avoid them at all costs.

Claim DateFebruary 2020

Chris H.

Chris H.South East Queensland, QLD

SUPER FAST SERVICE

I reversed into my garage door during a storm and power cut(turns out the door does not retract fully when not powered by the motor)and 3 days after i sent CGU the quote to replace the money has been issued,this is my first dealings with a claim and very happy with the service,i have 3 houses and 3 vehicles insured with them

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Care TeamCGU

Hi Chris, it's great to hear about your positive experience. I do hope we are able to meet this level of service at every interaction. ~Natalie

Appaling

I'm seriously considering leaving this company after many years. I've recently been robbed and it's taking forever for anyone to contact me, today Rona the person managing my claim, rang and then hung up on me. Next thing I got a text saying they'd tried to contact me, going on 3 months and I've not had contact with this elusive Rona, where do I complain before taking it to the ombudsman?

Claim DateOctober 2019
not impressed
not impressed

The number you've provided connects to a Malaysian call centre, they never put you through to your claims officer.

Care TeamCGU

We do have colleagues in Manila and unfortunately we can never be sure your claims officer will be available at the time of the call. If there is anything we can help with, please message us on Facebook so we can escalate your concerns. ~Natalie

Janet E.North Queensland, QLD

CGU does not answer written correspondence

Claim MadeNo

BrendenCentral Queensland, QLD

Worst process ever

Their policy has not been good value. My tv was damaged beyond repair. I was told I had to take a tv from a preferred supplier both of which are over priced. They told me it was new for old replacement yet couldn't provide the model number of the tv they were offering me. They keep telling me to refer to the PDU which is average at best and refused to settle with funds transferred to my account even though They have done this for me on a previous occasion.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Brenden

Pretty average when you guys don't state the process from the start. I work out of town as well and was forced between going for 2 providers for my tv which both i am not easily able to access. This fell on deaf ears as well.

Care TeamCGU

Sorry for the inconvenience Brenden. We will pass on this feedback to claims for you. ~ Lizzy

scott

scottGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Not the best

Used to have house insurance with them. When we had a problem with our roof they wouldn't pay. They said our policy doesn't cover that kind of thing. They put it down to building defect but the house was over 30 years without issue prior to that. My bank assigned them for me which I will never do again. Shop around and get all the details of what is covered. I pay the same price and get all sorts of extra cover from another insurance company.

Coverage TypeHome Only

Stella Q

Stella QGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Claims process is offshored - disgusting service

Twice I have had to UNFORTUNATELY deal with CGU when processing a claim which unfortunately wasnt my fault. First had to go through ombudsman as it took 10 weeks to solve for. Stressful and disgusting process. Second time - was hit by a car and what is a distressing process is taken by an offshored person who has no empathy or understands what your saying. Wrong information provided and just left with no follow up unless you call multiple times. Check where you are being serviced! I am cancelling all my policies with CGU

Claim DateOctober 2019

Perfect

The best insurance very cooperative. 5 star rating. Highly recommending this insurance. The best insurance i have ever experienced. Thanks for this service. Bye bye bye cv hg hh hh

Claim DateFebruary 2018

Hi Karan, thank you your the positive feedback. ~ Jono

BE AWARE OF CGU & ABC ( Australian Building & Construction)!!!

Claim DateJanuary 2019

Chris C.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Shame on you CGU!!!

Claim DateMarch 2019

26/11/19
Please stop pretending that you care. It is now 9 months and CGU has treated us with nothing but disdain and closed the case. Thieves!
I hope every customer switches to another insurance company. This experience has been hell.

Charmin

CharminSouth East Queensland, QLD

CGU INSURANCE IS THE BEST INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVERY DEALT WITH

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2018
Care TeamCGU

Hi Charmin, it always makes us happy to hear about great claim experiences especially in our hobby farm department! Glad to hear your tractor is back up and running. :) Thank you for your positive feedback. ~Natalie

How good is cgu

We joined up with CGU last year on a recommendation and we had a tree go through our roof yesterday in a storm, and instead of bothering emergency services we got onto CGU. Amaaaazing response and instant help, an electrician was at our door within an hour and the roof was repaired to stop further damage not long after. Within 24 hours the tree was cut and wood tidily stacked and any debris cleared all whilst taking care to do no further damage. We are so impressed and recommend them to anyone who is considering household insurance. Thank you for making what was a very stressful situation a breeze to nagivate.

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Care TeamCGU

Hi Rebekah, thank you so much for sharing your positive claims experience, we are pleased to see the issues was resolved so quickly. Thank you again. ~Kaz

Kathryn F.

Kathryn F.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Cgu is the worst

Dont go there! We are struggling big time because of cgu, its been about four months now, we keep calling and they keep ignoring us. If you are with cgu jump ship! I couldnt stress this enough

Claim DateJanuary 2019

Heath

Absolute rubbish, I will never recommend, deserves zero stars!!

I have been with CGU for nearly 20 years with 2 claims in that time. First one took ages to sort after a cyclone because they tried to get out of paying. Now this one is post a break in, initial approved but wouldn't pay it cash but wanted me to use 'their preferred shops'! They get kickbacks of course. They then reversed part of the claim and then low balled me due to wanting cash due to living remote and needing to defer purchases. It is a cheap practice as most people will struggle to prove ownership of things older but stolen!! I've been robbed twice, now by CGU... They put the FU in CGU. Do not insure with CGU or anything owned by AIG!!! Oh, don't get ducked in by what they say either, money is their ultimate goal, not you!!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMay 2019
Heath

It has already gone through your internal review and same result. My only option is AFCA. People don't be fooled by the response on here from CGU, it is all smoke and mirrors!! They don't actually care...

AWFUL customer service

Customer service is appalling.

1) I had to call them three times to make a claim against one of their policy holders. It took month!
2) I was supposed to get a call to confirm my appointment to get my car fixed (3 months after accident) - NOTHING - I had to call them!
3) I was supposed to get a hire car - NOTHING - I am on hold for over 50 minutes!!! Worse than Centrelink!!!!

If I ever considered moving insurance companies - I certainly wouldn't change to CGU!

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Billy

BillyPerth, WA

Slow service and still not paperless

Been with them for years as they have the best landlords insurance unfortunately. When I do make a claim the service is so slow and they never reply to emails - you have to follow up with a call to get a semi decent response. To add to that I've been asking for paperless for years but they still send invoices in the mail with T & C's which are available online.

Type of ClaimImpact at Home and Storm and Rainwater
Claim DateDecember 2018
Care TeamCGU

Hi Billy, thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate you sharing your thoughts, we will be sure to pass them over to the team! ~Kaz

KCHSydney, NSW

Terrible Service

Been with CGU insurance for 4 years now, in the beginning service was great. The claims process was very efficient. Seems like they have moved the operations to overseas and its just gone terrible. it seems like speaking to some kids who don't understand the claims process. sorry CGU I will be moving all my insurances from your company soon.

Claim DateApril 2019
KCH

Thanks for the reply but don't use facebook.

Care TeamCGU

I understand KCH. You can call us on 13 24 80 to discuss this further and escalate your concerns if needed. Sorry there isn't more we can do here, thanks for sharing. ~Jamie

John

JohnMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Really, more than one star,?

I have dealt recently with CGU, I find it very hard to believe that they can achieve more than one star, one star is actually too high a rating for a company that can make an open and shut case claim seem like a real long shot that you will be compensated for your loss. They take the money every month without fail, but seem to have lost sight of why. This site should allow more options such as half a star, a quarter star, maybe even a pig emoji. I will move on to a different insurer wiser for the experience.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateSeptember 2018
Care TeamCGU

seems from the reviews they will pay out small costs but not big ones

Marg
Marg

LizSydney, NSW

Very Very poor customer service Terrible is un understatement

Claim MadeNo

Etimoni V.asked

Hello I dry to send are receipt to ur claim email but I give it to me can't send I don't know that the right email. claim@cgu.com.au Any help?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Etimoni, you have made just a slight typing mistake. The correct email address is claims@cgu.com.au. ~ Jono

Rosie

Rosieasked

Do you insure relocatable homes?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Rosie. We cover homes that are permanently fixed to the site with water and sewage connections. There are other insurers that have specific cover for things like on-site caravans. But not us. I hope this helps. ~ Jono

zoeshipscat

zoeshipscatasked

During Cyclone Marcus in March, a large gumtree from the footpath on the OPPOSITE side of the road fell on our house, causing some damage which the CGU Insurance has accepted. CGU rejected other damage including cracks in the plaster mouldings etc caused by movement of the house when the trees hit it. Leak Detection have now discovered that we also have a "massive leak" from a burst water pipe under the tiled verandah slab which will necessitate a large excavation through the tiles and slab. There is no visible evidence of water damage as the break is under the slab. Estimates of cost to dig through the tiled slab to repair the pipe range from "$3,000 to $4,000" to "about $10,000". CGU opened a claim for me, but a couple of days later said CGU do not pay to "repair water leaks" unless there is obvious damage to the house. Surely a "massive leak" which requires a large area of the tiled cement slab to be dug up would count as damage to the house? Does anybody have any advice?

Lin
Lin

Go to your lawyer.

RJ
RJ

Hi. Sorry to hear uve had damage to ur home from something that wasnt on your property! All i can say is a few years ago, new years eve, i came home early hours of the morning in an intoxicated way..lol.. and before hitting the hay i used the bathroom and it was making a noise like it was constantly filling up, i touched the tap behind the loo and the thing exploded in my hand, shot off the wall and sprayed the area in water. The next day i rang cgu about it and they said they would cover and damage to flooring & fixtures (vanity etc) that have been ruined but wont pay for the plumber. In the end i didnt bother to put in a claim because i contained the water quickly & it didnt cause any real damage (very proud.. even in my drunken state!).. i think however u have a case for it to be reviewed by someone higher than a claim manager. Read through their PDS booklet & see if u can find something about it in there that may assist you. Half the time they dont even know whats written in their own product disclosure.. you can also seek legal advice if they wont come to the party. Wish you the best.

Etimoni V.

Sorry I need are email to claim department

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives