CGU Home and Contents Insurance

CGU Home and Contents Insurance

Really, more than one star,?

I have dealt recently with CGU, I find it very hard to believe that they can achieve more than one star, one star is actually too high a rating for a company that can make an open and shut case claim seem like a real long shot that you will be compensated for your loss. They take the money every month without fail, but seem to have lost sight of why. This site should allow more options such as half a star, a quarter star, maybe even a pig emoji. I will move on to a different insurer wiser for the experience.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Type of ClaimTheft
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Claim DateSeptember 2018
Hi John. Thank you for providing your feedback. If you are having trouble with a claim and would like us to help use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and a bit more information about your current claim and we will have someone get in contact with you to help. ~ Jono

seems from the reviews they will pay out small costs but not big ones

I was convinced by my credit union (why are they selling insurance anyway?) to change to CGU. In trust I transferred across to CGU and 6 months later a storm damaged part of the asbestos fence at the back of the property. It has fallen over. they say they won't pay anything because it has fallen over but isn't damaged??? and that the bottom strut that was holding it was rusted. I only moved in 6 months ago. my neighbours insurance company, which by the way was the one I was with prior to CGU, has no problem paying out immediately for his half of removal of the fence and replacement. so now I have to spend time going through the insurance ombudsman asking for assistance. CGU never had much of a reputation, I was reluctant to change over but the bank manager said if they ever give me a hard time he would advocate for me because they want the credit union's custom. Of course the bank manager won't look at it and won't do anything. He's probably skulking under his desk somewhere. Counting the money CGU gives him for conning customers. Both the Credit Union representative and CGU have behaved unethically. Do you guys really want that kind of reputation? you cant hide behind an inhuman business wall all the time surey? this is people who pay you in trust, your families, your friends, people who struggle, don't you get embarrassed at your dishonesty? I'll be letting my networks know of this poor response.

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Marg, thank you for providing feedback on your current claims experience. If you haven't already escalated your claim complaint with us internally use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review. ~ Jonoyour reply is actually the third you have sent on here. you know I have not escalated but have cancelled my two policies because you refused to allow the claim, and that CGU gave me back $1.80c or thereabout so don't pretend for this review that you are doing anything for me. that's just plain naughty. Have a good day.

Very Very poor customer service Terrible is un understatement

Have had a problem with a fencing issue. Have asked for technical assistance as suggested by council. Its now been three weeks have phone just about every day, numerous times a day and have not got anywhere. Keep being told that we will receive a call back from supervisor's etc. No calls have been returned. When you phone them and the phone drops out they never call back.
I have been with this company for over 30 years, have numerous properties insured with them and this is how they treat you.
I am now looking for a new insurance company for 3 properties and am going to get in touch with the insurance ombudsman and A Current Affair, I'm sure [name removed] going to love this story.

Would I recommend this company definitely NOT.
Not impressed with anything from this company at all

Coverage TypeHome & Contents
Claim MadeNo
We thought giving you a chance to help try and rectify the problem before posting the review would help the matter. But the response that we were given was to write a written complaint and was given a link to go to. Once again sending your good paying customers around in circles. After three weeks we are past that. If you are on this review page looking for an Insurance company, we would advise very strongly not to go with CGUHi Liz, once again apologises for the delay in getting back to you. I have just sent you a message about this. But just to confirm, if there is anything we can escalate for you, please let us know your claim number and we will get this to our claims team and organise a call back as soon as possible. Thank you Liz. ~Jamie

While we were holidaying a pipe burst in the ceiling of our home. This resulted in considerable damage making the house uninhabitable. CGU arranged for work to commence the day we reported the damage. They paid for alternative accommodation whilst the building was repaired. The damage was repaired to a very high standard, carpets and damaged furniture replaced, etc. I could not fault the service they provided. They phoned three months after we moved back into the house to ascertain that everything was okay.

Coverage TypeHome & Contents
Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks for sharing Dave. So lovely to hear that your claims experience was 5 star! ~Renae

Misrepresentation, ill practice and complete lack of integrity !!

My husband and I recently purchased home contents insurance through CGU and were affected by the Townsville floods. CGU accepted our claim initially, sent assessors to inspect the damage and offered us immediate financial assistance then did a complete backflip stating we weren’t covered due to a technicality. Due to their misrepresentation and direction, we disposed of our damaged contents and now they are saying they are not liable for anything. We have lost our entire home and have nothing left. It’s an absolute disgrace, considering we are both serving members of the ADF and were involved in the flood response.

Coverage TypeContents Only
Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Claim ApprovedNo
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Hi Cate J, sounds like you and your family have been through a devastating experience. We have processes in place that you can follow to have this escalated and looked into. We want our customers to feel safe and supported and this is not how we have left you feeling. If you would like to chat to the Social Team in depth you can message us privately via Facebook Messenger. I have also included the link to the resolution process document https://www.cgu.com.au/sites/default/files/media/about-cgu/customer_feedback_complaint.pdf ~Renae

My preferred insurer

I've been with CGU on and off for well over 20 years, for both house and car. In that time l have made a few claims and have found that every single claim experience has been simple and fast. I have switched over the years to other insurers as they offered cheaper premiums and excess but when it came to making a claim they used every trick in the book not to assist. So l have always come back to CGU, l recommend them over any other insurer l have tried.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks so much for sharing your feedback Mishka, we absolutely appreciate you taking the time to post your experience. We are happy to have been able to protect you over the years and we hope we can continue to provide you with the service you enjoy :) ~Lochy

Expected better

After being with CGU for 27 years made few claims and have been paying premiums on all policies of over $10000 a year for the last 15 years. We had a leek from our roof that damaged carpet in a downstairs bedroom and upstairs lounge area where a large section of carpet had to be removed. After making a dispute on our claim of just covering the lounge and not the joining dining/formal room upstairs which we can’t match the carpet, if we have to settle for the one room we will have pay for the other room ourself. I thought we paid for premium insurance but only get average cover. For the sake of $3000 that they won’t come to the party for we will be taking our $10,000 premiums elsewhere.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Tone. I am sorry to hear about your claim. We can't comment directly about your claim via Product Review but if you are unhappy with the claims decision you are able to ask for a manager review and then escalate to our customer relations team if you need to. Here is the link to our complaints page which will help you through the process to get any decisions overturned. www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions. ~ JonoAlready tried that. I just took my business elsewhere.

Zero Integrity

Daylight robbery is essentially what they do. I had a ceiling collapse in my garage. The assessor sent out by CGU and a private assessor I hired myself said that this happened at no fault of mine and the house and roof was in immaculate condition and that there was insufficient amount of glue in the ceiling which no one could have known at the time of buying the house. CGU denied the claim saying it was "wear and tear". The house is 10 years old - ceilings that are immaculate do not fall off due to wear and tear. Highly recommend you avoid them! They also never check emails and frequent "disconnect" the phone mid conversation if they can't come up with a rebuttal.
I think one just needs to look at the majority of reviews on this website to see that CGU is running a con job with no integrity and respect in the work that they do. For about $100-150 more, you could get much more trustworthy insurance (eg: RAA). Highly recommend to avoid!!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Paroma, you are well within your rights to lodge a complaint with the claims manger if you are unhappy with the claims decision. If we can help you with this, please PM this page or PM our Facebook page, happy to help you with the process. ~Kaz

Perfect always helpful

Hi

I am ultimate health member of Bupa and have CGU insurance as well. They have been good so far with me. Recommended

Insurance claim madeYes
Thank you very much for your review Jamm, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. ~Kaz

Disgusting lack of service

Six years with you and paying you for service that is not worth paying for, put in a damage claim and it has been the worst customer service I have ever received. That is if you call me having to contact you again and again and then offered a replacement at half the price shame on you CGU will be removing all my insurance from you.

Insurance claim madeYes

Horrible service for our Home claim

Came back from holidays noticed that the timber floor is damaged due to water leak. CGU rejected the claims based on the fact that they could not find the cause of the leak !

Insurance claim madeYes
Sorry to hear about that Hossein, although we do not manage the claims directly if you could provide us with your claim number we would be happy to have this escalated for you to try and ensure everything has been done to investigate this claim for you. It can take a few days to arrange a callback but we will certainly get this looked into for you ASAP. ~LochyMy CGU claim manager was very tardy. I had to call her every week to get a reply. Took over 8 weeks to get an inspection and an unfair knock back. I learnt my lesson that CGU is not trustworthy. Luckily it was only a small claim. I am not goining to waste my time with further review. I am transferring my policy to a different insurer.Sorry to hear that Hossein. thank you for letting us know, we will pass on your feedback to the home claims team. ~Kaz

No customer loyalty.

3 insurance policies consistent for 11 years with not one claim for anything. CGU just screwed me on one of the policies due to a slight circumstance change. They basically won’t insure me because one of my buildings is vacant now. It’s a pity I didn’t know this last month when I renewed because I would of found someone elsewhere takes their business more seriously to take all 3 policies. CGU obviously are good at taking your money when it suits them. They are obviously a company of scumbag thieves and rogues disguised in nice suits. I am certainly now of the belief that the CEO is a money hungry maggot.
God help you if your house burns down.
Do not be tricked and deceived by these filthy dogs.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Dunolly, Sorry that you have been left feeling so frustrated. We certainly do not intend anyone to feel like this. If you would like your matter escalated you can PM us your private information via Facebook Messenger. We would be happy to review your circumsntance and make sure you have been given the correct information ~RenaeAnyone who thinks that CGU looks after their customers is an idiot. CGU takes your money when it suits them. God help someone who’s house burns to the ground. My advice. CGU is not for you.

I don’t get what everyone is so angry about

The whole claim process was fantastic. I had to make a claim for my laptop that was severely damaged. I panicked for a bit and realised I had contents insurance so gave them a call. They have 24 hour claim call centre which is great and allowed me to submit claim on 1am on Saturday. The whole process was easy, I called couple times to follow up and was connected with no difficulty. I would definitely recommend this company for contents insurance!

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for sharing Sehee L, So glad you had a great claims experience and you have your laptop back in action. We thank you for your loyalty! ~Renae

Extensive vandalism to investment house. .still not resolved after 3months

I've paid out over $150,000.00 in insurance premiums over 27years for nothing. I have claimed a total of $3000 over those years and now are claiming $30000 repairs and they want to settle at $4000. They're hoping I'll give in stressing me out. Very very very upsetting. I'm cancelling the insurance policy in 2days. I'm not going to give them another cent.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for you honest feedback Wania. A claim should not leave you feeling like this. Our intent is to put you in the place you were prior to the claim taking into consideration your policy coverage and exclusions. To assist in finding a comfortable solution you an PM us via Messenger with your claims details and we can escalate this on your behalf. The Social Team would like to help and support you through this difficult time ~Alison

No Problems

We have had CGU Insurance for a few years now and had to make a claim late last year when mowing i hit something hidden in the grass and managed to break a glass sliding door and a window. This was on Sunday and had to wait till Monday to sort out and it was repaired Monday afternoon. All in all claim was quick and painless which is how it should be.

Really helpful

I had to make a claim due to a water burst in the bathroom, flooded the whole house. I cant speak highly enough of the help and responseby CGU considering how stressed i was on the phone and probably a little difficult. They reassured me that everything would be OK .The response by contractors was excellent to say the least.

Insurance claim madeYes

Best and one of the cheapest around

I have been with CGU a couple of times, for both car and my contents. Currently I have my contents through them, I have the premium coverage, that covers both accidental breakage and portable items that you may take off your place. I got some quotes last year, and nearly had an heart attack, as so many were hundreds of dollars more, and most did not have the same level of coverage each year. I recommended CGU to someone on Toluna for her to look at, and she was so shocked, as she was looking for a cheaper coverage, and was so shocked how much cheaper they were, and that they actually cover you for more in that coverage as well. They have looked after me, at a real time in need, when i had my holden camira with them, and took all the fuss out, and wanted to quickly pay out the claim, after it was hit in the car park where I used to live, doing front end damage, because it was pushed over the curb. I highly recommend them. I would never switch my contents away from them, I once got a quote from RACT, was virtually tol that I needed 3 different policies to get the same coverage, which i did not like that idea at all.

Insurance claim madeYes

I actually had a great experience

I have had CGU home & contents for about 15yrs & never had to claim anything until last week. My split system air con had a motor fusion among other things & was needing to be replaced. I put in a claim on friday, had to wait for the technicans quote which came within a couple of days, emailed it in to CGU, rang them a day later & all done, approved. I was a bit concerned after reading these reviews & thought i may have a fight on hands but the girls i spoke to were lovely, explained everything to me about what will be covered & the couple of consumable items they wont. Money in my account within 2-3days. The process was easy & streamlined & now wont freeze through winter. Very happy with the service i experienced & will be staying with them as my insurer.

Claims

There claims process is antiquated, slow and lacks any real customer service. They use an overseas call centre as their first point of contact making it very difficult to understand them and for them to understand us. Dreadful service.

EXTREMELY BAD BAD SERVICE

We discovered a burst water pipe under our floorboards which had been happening for a long time as we discovered dripping water under the floorboards in the Hall way five meters away from the burst pipe in the kitchen under the hardwood floorboards and floating floorboards. CGU didn’t follow S500 IICRC water damage that CGU is trained in. (which states dry out water damage within 48 hours of discovery as mould will start growing). Instead they sent McMullen building services 10 days later he never mentioned any mould concerns to me even after complaining about the musty smell in my house and after telling him l have three young children and it stinks in here when are you coming around and coming back as he came twice.

Two months later received a email from JP Flynn builders saying McMullan services have been removed from the job and we are sending McMahon building services to inspect our house for mould and to do mould remediation. CGU wasn’t even going to pay for our accommodation l told CGU the doctor said after seeing the video of the water damage and mould. If there’s mould in the house get out CGU response “ a doctor is not a builder.” McMahon services contractor said your sickness I all in your head there no mould there. CGU then told us we have two reports here that you house is safe to live in. We asked for these reports but CGU wouldn’t give them to us.

With us still complaining and us writing many emails back and forth to CGU (very stressful) which is our right when we want something done that is part of the insurance that we paid for about twenty years. CGU arrange another contractor for more testing and mould remediation and as we suspected Mould Lab reports say high levels of mould so this is why all five of my family were getting sick in the two months from when we found the burst pipe from mould spores floating out into the air from two open inspection holes in the hallway and kitchen (so we were eating mould as well as breathing it in).

We have had enough by now we wrote to the financial ombudsman service (FOS) complaining again. We spoke to a not very friendly guy in the ombudsman’s office telling him CGU want to cash settle us and we don’t want to. FOS replied CGU can’t do that there’s an active investigation going on. We rang CGU stating what FOS said. CGU replied FOS can’t do that I’ll ring FOS. We rang FOS the same employee back as we found all this money in our bank account on the weekend from CGU they did cash settle us.

We started investigating ourself as FOS determination was we pay 50% and CGU pay 50% for mould remediation and we didn’t think this was right. CGU also stated in this first FOS determination in an email “had our clients had repairs done straight away the mould wouldn’t have been an issue” how can CGU say this where was there duty of care to there contractors and my families health.

We then find out this so called mould remediation company Kitmark sent us two certificates that he forged stating he performed mould remediation to s520 IICRC standard and he was not even certified. He fogged, ozoned (which is a nose, eyes and lung irritant) and never physically removed all visible mould in our house that’s why S520 is important to follow for mould remediation. We sent photos and videos we had taken the day after Kitmark left our house with his so called mould remediation leaving mould everywhere under and above our floorboards for evidence as you can see we didn’t trust anyone by this stage and we were right screwed again.

We also find out From an expert that CGU are trained in following the S500 protocol. Where was CGU duty of care not implementing S500 IICRC if we had known this we would have got our family out sooner. We ourselves organized a certified s520 IICRC company to test our house and yes again high levels of mould and they only test some of the house as it gets expensive and guess what they get sick from being in our house. After all this evidence FOS made another determination CGU pay 70% we pay 30% , $1000 compensation, $8600 unforeseen repairs.
Yippee we are still in our caravan eight months later in our back yard since contacting FOS awaiting mould remediation and quotes.
We also find out it is not for FOS to punish CGU. A whole year off stress for what because CGU didn’t follow protocol and CGU forced settlement on us.

I hope everyone reads this and you loose all your business because that’s what this rubbish is all about CGU making money and telling untrue statements to your Clients.

Insurance claim madeYes

Do you insure relocatable homes?
Hi Rosie. We cover homes that are permanently fixed to the site with water and sewage connections. There are other insurers that have specific cover for things like on-site caravans. But not us. I hope this helps. ~ Jono

During Cyclone Marcus in March, a large gumtree from the footpath on the OPPOSITE side of the road fell on our house, causing some damage which the CGU Insurance has accepted. CGU rejected other damage including cracks in the plaster mouldings etc caused by movement of the house when the trees hit it. Leak Detection have now discovered that we also have a "massive leak" from a burst water pipe under the tiled verandah slab which will necessitate a large excavation through the tiles and slab. There is no visible evidence of water damage as the break is under the slab. Estimates of cost to dig through the tiled slab to repair the pipe range from "$3,000 to $4,000" to "about $10,000". CGU opened a claim for me, but a couple of days later said CGU do not pay to "repair water leaks" unless there is obvious damage to the house. Surely a "massive leak" which requires a large area of the tiled cement slab to be dug up would count as damage to the house? Does anybody have any advice?
Go to your lawyer.Hi. Sorry to hear uve had damage to ur home from something that wasnt on your property! All i can say is a few years ago, new years eve, i came home early hours of the morning in an intoxicated way..lol.. and before hitting the hay i used the bathroom and it was making a noise like it was constantly filling up, i touched the tap behind the loo and the thing exploded in my hand, shot off the wall and sprayed the area in water. The next day i rang cgu about it and they said they would cover and damage to flooring & fixtures (vanity etc) that have been ruined but wont pay for the plumber. In the end i didnt bother to put in a claim because i contained the water quickly & it didnt cause any real damage (very proud.. even in my drunken state!).. i think however u have a case for it to be reviewed by someone higher than a claim manager. Read through their PDS booklet & see if u can find something about it in there that may assist you. Half the time they dont even know whats written in their own product disclosure.. you can also seek legal advice if they wont come to the party. Wish you the best.

Similar listings