CGU Travel Insurance

CGU Travel Insurance

Beware of cheap travel insurance - CGU

This would have to be the worst insurance we could have chosen. After one hour and 15 minutes on the phone to the Phillipines and repeating myself a dozen times I was then contacted by my "Case manager" to be told that I would receive only $150 refund out of $1100. You definitely do get what you pay for! Never again

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Bobby, thanks for sharing your claims experience and letting us know you are not happy with the claims decision. Did they say why you only received $150 for a $1100 claim? We would be happy to escalate your concerns to the claims manager if you wish, please PM our Facebook page if we can help. ~Kaz

Amazingly fast claims payment

As I had arranged all the travel and had all the documentation and easy email access, I lodged a claim on behalf of a friend who had purchased travel insurance through People's Choice, which uses GCU. She phoned them to nominate me as an authorised person and there were no difficulties whatsoever when I called them twice and emailed the claim. Calls were answered quickly and responses were accurate and friendly.

Admittedly, I emailed them absolutely everything they could want, including our itinerary, receipts, proof that fares and accommodation were not able to be cancelled, proof of refund of taxes and fees on airfares, and a medical form from another travel insurance company that we had obtained for our travel insurance, which CGU readily accepted.

What I wasn't expecting was the fast response time. I emailed the claim at 8pm on a Wednesday, and got a reply at 8.40am on the Friday that the claim had been settled in full and the money was on its way. So really, one day turnaround. Can't ask for better than that.

Think we'll be looking at them as an option next time - our claim for the same trip with another company took 8 working days, and then I had to get back to them as they had shortchanged us $100.

Well done, CGU.

Insurance claim madeYes

Beware of CGU travel insurance fine print

We needed to cancel our travel due to a death in the family and were not fully compensated because the person who died (at 90 years of age) had a "pre-existing" medical condition. Who doesn't have some sort of pre-existing medical condition as you age. What is the point of paying for travel insurance if you are not covered when you make a claim.

Travel insurance scam

I have worked for Bupa. Bupa and HBF both outsource insurance to CGU.

As an insider and a consumer I would advise people to stay away. Their TOP insurance policy excludes and I quote
"services provided by travel agent, tour operator, accommodation provider, airline, car rental agency, medical services" and many more. What's the point of an insurance policy than?

For disagreements please refer to fos.org.au
Financial services ombudsman

Insurance claim madeNo

They sell it through Bupa, They are scammers

I bought a travel insurance for traveling overseas Jan 2017. The insurance policy was covering different things including Overseas Dental with $200 excess, I had an emergency situation with too much pain and had to fix it just to avoid pain to come back Australia, I claimed and they said we only pay for accidents or in some situation like someone punch in your face !!! why someone should punch in my face and I need to insure myself for punch? Í travelled almost 40 countries for wildlife photography which most of them are dangerous and never someone punched me. What do you mean?

Prompt and helpful

We had insurance with CGU on our 2015 trip to the UK and needed to make a claim for the hire car. From the initial phone call they were helpful and provided us with the information we needed. When we finally got the paperwork from the hire car company we submitted it to CGU and they had the money in the bank within the week. I would happily use them again even though their prices are a bit more than some of the other companies around.

Insurance claim madeYes

Great service, no hassle even with a claim.

From my initial quote for travel insurance, my calls through with a sick child in a foreign county, finally through to payment of my claim, I felt that the process was very simple and surprisingly, friendly. When I called to ask about my options and costs to treat my daughter they were very pleasant and most helpful, checked in via email every few days to make sure she was getting better, then at the end of it walked me through the claim process quickly and easily.

Insurance claim madeYes

Always helpful and customer focused

Twice, within a few weeks, CGU Travel insurance Staff have been super helpful and have 'bent over backwards' to help us with both making claims and taking out travel insurance. Firstly - after making the calls, I have spoken with people (who I can understand) almost immediately. Clearly, my needs were assessed, as I was given relevant information (not scripted responses). Acquiring travel insurance at a competitive price (to meet my particular circumstances) was made easy. I have spoken to several consultants on two distinct matters. Everyone of them was professional, competent and helped me. Highly recommended. Thank you!

A great service

Very bad ski accident at Vail Colorado. Completely destroyed tibia plateau (knee joint) CGU PAID and arranged transport to vail 5 nights in hospital and operation accomodation for 10 days then arranged flights 1st.class return to Sydney inc o'night stay in Los Angeles stretch limousine home to Newcastle nsw for 2 of us. The operation alone was $56000. Now that is service.

Travel Insurance

Had a trip to NZ and had a heart attack - CGU covered the hospital and treatment as you would expect but treated my wife and I with utter contempt Never again will I use them for anything - the indian sounding woman we spoke to on the phone was an absolute mongrel.

The Worst Company

Stay away from cgu
i have had a nasty experience with this company of recent. They are highly unprofessional, rude, obnoxious and unreliable. Stay away from this company. Don't give out your hard earned money to this incompetent organisation. In all my years of dealing with companies, this is the worse ever. The behaviour of this company is an aberration. A complete negation of what is expected of modern company. It took 4 months for them to respond to about 20 logged calls. On 5 occasions they deliberately and with impunity hanged up on my calls.

Stay Away From Cgu (Travel) Insurance. Hopeless

For your peace of mind and dignity, stay away from this insurance company. They are rude; arrogant; highly unprofessional and the worse of its kind in 21st century.

In December 2013, I took up a travel insurance with this hopeless institution. In January 2014, I made a claim for my luggage that got stolen overseas. That was when the problem started. I have made close to about 20 calls to this organisation on different ocassions to process my claim. Not once have they written to me via email or letter to acknowledge the claim I lodged in January 2014. Today, Monday, 14th April, 2014 was the first time someone actually called me on the phone after series of phone calls I made to the insurance. No follow up and each time I insisted to talk to some manager there, it becomes an issue. A few times they hanged up on me because I requested that I needed to speak to a manager. After much calls to this insurance company in 4 months, they decided to settle my claim by offering me half of my claim. The manager of the Travel Claim, for the first time after I had requested to speak to her, finally called me today. Last week alone, I left her 5 messages through their officers who delivered them by emails to her. The previous week I left about 3 messages with no response.

Today, 14th April, 2014, the Travel Claim manager, a very rude, arrogant and highly unprofessional lady called me around 9.58AM. How a person like this with no conflict resolution skills happens to hold such a position is what baffles me. Again, it speaks a lot about the inefficiency that pervades this hopeless institution. I insisted to speak to anyone above her who may have a bit of a common sense. She arrogantly refused and insisted that she makes all the decisions when it comes to travel claim. I called back a few minutes later to see if I could speak to someone else. At about 10.10AM, I called back and got through to another male officer. After I told him my concern, he deliberately hanged up the phone on me. This was the 5th time in th last four months that the officers of this company have deliberately hanged up on me.

The customer service at this obnoxious organisation is appalling and a complete negation of the principle that governs modern organisations. How they remain in business is what surprises me and a few others. Well, if I had read the reviews before hand, I wouldn't have been part of the statistics.

The case I have with this insurance company (CGU) is ongoing and I have been arrogantly told that I have to wait for another 15 days for them to review it again. This is the worse insurance company in the country. My advice to prospective travellers is to avoid this company completely. The paper on which the policy is written on has more value than this company itself. Find a reliable company to deal with. A company that will actually be there should the worse happens. Not CGU.
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
INEFFICIENT; RUDE; HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE

Wonderful service

My wife suffered a minor heart attack and the doctor forbid her to travel until the cardiologist had reviewed the case and found the cause. Qantas and Emirates gave me the runaround, so eventually I lodged a claim with CGU.
The arrival of the medical certificate was a bit slow, but once I sent all the information available to me, the claim was dealt with in 2 days and a payment was made to me on the third day
efficient

Worst experience ever!

Returned from a trip to South America after my husband became extremely ill. We had taken out CGU insurance with our bank manager answering all questions to make sure we did it right. On our return in June we lodge a claim and what followed was unbelievable from non professional, argumentative, dim witted, rude assessors. There was no co ordination between staff members forcing me to write a letter to managers. An intervention by a manager's secretary who seemed to be the only person with any common sense moved our claim ahead slightly but then our claim was sent to the bottom of the pile. CGU finalised our claim in November, five months later. If I tried to explain more about this experience you would not believe me so I'll just say...Stay away from CGU Travel Insurance!
nothing
everything

Insurance claim madeYes

Unpleasant experience when cancelling overseas trip

I booked a trip to Europe, and a couple of weeks before going, my husband suffered a life threatening episode. He was not coming to Europe with me, however, I had to cancel to care for him, as prognosis was uncertain. CGU would not cover my out of pocket expenses because they claim it was not life threatening.

Too many loopholes, all in the insurance companies favour.

Distasteful experience

I recently had to cancel an overseas trip due to my sister being diagnosed with cancer which progressed very rapidly until she passed away. When the time came to claim from CGU, despite providing CGU's medical form signed by a specialist oncologist and also a medical death certificate, CGU insist on my sisters medicare records going back 2 years. This has obviously caused me more stess in a very difficult time. Travel agents, airlines and everyone else showed great compassion. Not CGU; one can only wonder if it is there intent to trawl through medical records to find a reason to reject the claim. A distasteful experience in a difficult time.

Lack of compassion

Insurance claim madeYes
Yes they wanted my husbands record going back 2 years, that is disgraceful.