Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Southern Cross Travel Insurance

4.7 from 2,493 reviews

The most trusted and reliable insurance company

Me and my wife had our goods stolen on our trip overseas. We filed the case with the police and got the report. On our return we've submitted the claim with all relevant paperwork. 3 weeks later SCTI paid us in accordance with the policy.
Few years back we've got to the hospital in SE Asia. SCTI reimbursed us all expenses. Case manager was constantly in touch with us asking what support we require, and how they can help us. I'm not hesitant to recommend this insurance to fellow travellers. Highly regarded, and very honest and fair attitude toward customers.

DestinationAsia
Claim Made:Yes
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Val, I’m sorry to hear that you had your items stolen on your most recent trip and you were hospitalised when travelling through South East Asia – I can imagine how stressful both these situations would have been. I’m pleased to hear that we were able to offer assistance in both of these cases. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with the Product Review community. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

SCTI - a great travel partner

I have used SCTI and other providers in the past for overseas travels. So far I have never had a claim until the end of last year where I had to re-book and change flights due to illness. After I informed SCTI about my circumstances they guided me through the claim process in a very professional and timely manner. My claim was approved after a few clarifications. I am very impressed with the management of my claim and their ´unbureaucratic´ way of handling it. Thank you SCTI - highly recommended.

DestinationAsia and Europe
Claim Made:Yes
Type of ClaimMedical
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Maria S, thanks for sharing your experience – its great to hear your feedback. I’m sorry to hear you had to change your travel plans due to illness and hope you made a speedy recovery. Thanks for the feedback on our claims team. I’m pleased they were able to guide you through the process to make it as stress-free as possible. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

First time user

We travelled to indian and Singapore and tried this company for our travel insurance because it gave cover from the time you paid including any possible problems before the actual travel starting day, fortunately nothing happened and we had a great trip but the piece of mind that no matter what happens we were covered is a great feeling. Thanks and we will definitely be using the company again
Regards Tasman Cross

Insurance Cover For:Senior
Claim Made:No
Book AgainYes
Hi Tasman, thanks for the five star review! I’m happy to hear that your trip went smoothly and you didn’t need to submit a claim. We look forward to covering your next trip, Pepper@SCTI.

don't over-estimate your holiday length - it will cost you.

took an 8 month comprehensive travel policy in 2018, as I was unsure how long I would be away and wanted to be prudent. In fact I returned after less than 5 months, and I had no need to make any claims of any kind (fortunately). I contacted SCT to enquire if a refund for the unused 3 months would be available. Initially i was told yes, and I was asked to provide proof through airline tickets of the early return, which I did. SCT then advised no refund would be available. Seemed rigid and unnecessary, and not good customer service. All my family have used SCT for long travels over the last years. Shame, as the product seems adequate, that goodwill was missing.

Good
OK
Insurance TypeSingle Trip
Hi BLL, I’m sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with our service. We take this kind of feedback very seriously, and we’re always looking to improve our customer experience. Could you please send a direct message with your policy number and I will pass this over to our team to investigate? All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

Long time insurance buyer, first time claimer!

I have had a few policies with SCTI and other providers throughout the years. I have been very fortunate not to have the need to make a claim in any pervious travels.

My recent trip to Bali was the first time an incident occurred that required a claim. I found the claim process relatively easy, although it would have been nice to have a portal to upload documents instead of posting or scanning in, but really not a big issue.

Knowing I had an upcoming trip requiring Travel Insurance, I thought I would hold off to see how the claim process was. I am pleased to say that I will be purchasing another policy shortly with SCTI.

DestinationAsia
Insurance TypeSingle Trip
Hi TJM05, thanks for the five star review and for taking the time to share your feedback! It’s good to hear that your claiming experience was a positive one. We look forward to covering your next adventure, Pepper@SCTI

They Honored their Commitment!

I have used Southern Cross, along with others over the last couple of years - probably 3-4 times a year for international travel. Due to a family illness, I had to change a trip and incurred significant change fees with the airlines. Once I submitted, I was asked for a couple of clarifications, and I was approved. Well done Southern Cross. You have restored my faith in at least your insurance company (after being horribly treated by one of the big ones a few years ago which I subsequently won on appeal).

Thank you SCTI!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Nils, I’m sorry to hear about the circumstances that led to your claim, however, I’m glad we were able to help you out. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Always helpful

I have travelled a lot during the last 10 years and have used SCTI most of the time. Have found their service quick and easy to use. Have had a major claim a couple of years ago when hospitalised in the USA and the claim was handled promptly and with great concern for myself and my travel companions. I find that when I travel now with this insurance I certainly have peace of mind and have recommended this company to anyone who asks for advice and have converted quite a few of them. Please keep up the good work!!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Diane, I’m sorry to hear that you were hospitalised while in the USA and hope you’ve now made a full recovery. I’m pleased we could offer our support during this stressful time. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the Product Review community. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

Easy, Happy and Quick

When I was in Italy someone tried to cut my anti-theft bag. Luckily my bag wasn't stolen, but my bag was damaged. I had some other issues such as laptop screen cracking. I came home and scanned my receipts in and sent in my claim and was given my claim amount less the excess. So I was happy.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi happyvegimitee, I’m sorry to hear that someone tried to steal your bag - that must have been very stressful. Thanks for taking the time to share your claiming experience. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Friendly, quick and professional service dealing with my Claim

We used SCTI once, for a major 5 month holiday. During one of our cruises, we were not able to get off the ship in Victoria British Columbia due to rough weather but had to sail on to Seattle. This meant we had to cancel our booked and paid accommodation in Victoria BC that night, our paid airport shuttle and our paid airline tickets from Victoria to Toronto. We also had to arrange two flights, Seattle to Vancouver and Vancouver to Toronto. Our cancellations came to $1000 (because we had booked well in advance) and our extra flights were $2000 (because we booked the day before). Due to our extended holiday and internet problems on returning home, we made our claim 6 months after the event, on 14 January 2019, and received $2000 one fortnight later on 1 February 2019. During my dealings on the phone with this company they were courteous, professional and very, very helpful. They kept me informed regarding progress of my claim and I was delighted to receive the full amount I claimed (less $100 excess of course). Altogether dealing with SCTI was a very pleasant experience. I would definitely use them again for my travel insurance needs.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Survey54, I’m sorry to hear that you had change your trip due to bad weather, I could imagine how stressful that must have been! Thank you for sharing your experience – it’s great to hear your feedback. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Excellent service and helpful.

I have used SCTI for two times. I have had excellent service from them when having to make a claim last year. This year I used them again and I do not need to claim and I found their service is great and efficient. I will use SCTI again next time.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Dick May, thank you for the five star review, I’m happy to hear that your claiming experience with us was a positive one! All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Great service from helpful staff.

Being a regular traveller to the USA I have taken out a SCTI policy at least 5 times. Up until last year I had never had the need to make a claim so I was always weary should a claim arise of whether I would have to jump through hoops to get it paid.
On the last trip I needed medical attention which incurred a hefty medical bill. SCTI to their credit processed and paid it promptly with no issues. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Nim, I’m sorry to hear that you had to seek medical attention on your last trip to the USA – I hope you’re okay now. I’m happy to hear we could offer our support during this stressful time. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the Product Review community. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Friendly Staff

Three cruises. When booking for our January cruise, I made a error in the date of departure and we were startled when we received an nice e-mail wishing us a good holiday in September. The staff who sorted out our problem couldn't have been more friendly and helpful! As older travellers, we also like the common-sense approach to reviewing health matters when applying for a new policy. It is so much less stressful than other competitors.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Jim B, thank you for the great feedback! It's great to hear that you were happy with the service you received from our friendly team, and you found the process to be stress-free. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

Excellent serive from company

I have used Southern Crss travel,insurance for several years now, and i would use them over any other companny. I have had excellence service from them when having to make a claim

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Neville, thank you for your continued loyalty and for taking the time to share your feedback with the Product Review Community. We look forward to covering your next trip. Pepper@SCTI

Travel insurance is a must have when traveling

Have used SCTI about three times, I have a lot of fath in them.
And was very grateful that they helped me out with my resent claim.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Rob, Thank you for the lovely feedback and for taking the time to share this with others. Thanks for choosing us, Pepper@SCTI

A Must Have

This is the third time we have used SCTI and fortunately we haven't had to make a claim.
I found the web site to be informative and easy to navigate around, but when we had to reschedule our trip by a few days, the very friendly and competent SCTI support staff modified and updated the details as required first time.
10 points to SCTI for having support staff you can communicate with and get things done properly the first time.
We have friends who say that it isn't required and a waste of money, but I consider insurance to be all about covering the possibility that if things do go wrong it could cost you in a big way.
Considering the cost of the trip I don't think the SCTI premiums are excessive for the peace of mind provided and will continue to use them for future travel provided their product remains competitive in price and content.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Paul, thanks for sharing your experience with the Product Review community! It’s great to hear that our team were able to help you change your policy and make it as stress-free as possible. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

Great Insurance cover for piece of mind.

Great that they cover a wide variety of things. This was only one of two that covered what I needed to cover and this insurance company was less expensive than the other company. It was great to know that insurance cover was there to use if needed.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi European Traveller, thank you for your sharing your feedback on Product Review. I’m happy you could travel with peace of mind, knowing you were covered by SCTI! All the best, Pepper@SCTI

trouble free

helpful advice, easy to communicate. caters for seniors . I recommend this travel insurance company and will use it again

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Peter Pan, thank you for your kind review and your continued loyalty. We hope to hear from you when you’re planning your next adventure, Pepper@SCTI.

The Drifter

I have used SCTI, once,no claim made, found them to be quite good and informative. Actually received refund for an incorrect ad on premiem. Showing honesty and integrity.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Bill, thank you for sharing your feedback - its great to hear your holiday went smoothly and you didn't have to make a claim. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

They were great but premiums has doubled and limits decreased

Have always purchase travel insurance with scti, lovely friendly company. Made one claim and it was easy and efficient however premiums has more than doubled and now scti is the most expensive compared to others. It is now out of reach for us and we will not be a returning customer. It’s a shame as I’m reading the same from other loyal customers who are all jumping ship

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Pinkdawn, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I’m sorry that we’re unable to offer you a more competitive premium on this occasion. I’ll make sure that your feedback about our premiums is passed on to the relevant department. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Peace of mind should the unexpected occur

This is my immediate family’s first time insuring with SCTI and the process to organise insurance for my family of 4 to the USA was easy and seamless. They provided the most competitive rate and took no time at all to finalise. My experience making a claim occurred in 2018 when my father needed to claim for medical care performed in California. I was his next of kin and the communication and help provided, in what was a scary time, was excellent which eased our minds.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Jillian, I’m sorry to hear that your father was unwell while in California, and hope he’s now made a full recovery. Thank you for the lovely feedback and for taking the time to share it with others. We hope to hear from you when you’re planning your next adventure, Pepper@SCTI

Hi, we are travelling to Canada & Alaska end April to mid May this year. I was wondering if your company covers pre existing conditions a my husband has had aortic valve replaced 2 years ago & has a pacemaker. His heart specialist seems to think he I ok to travel & we only see him in another 12 months. I have taken out travel insurance with another company but wondered you cover this can we pay an extra for this condition. We were recommended to you by a friend who uses you for their travels & her husband has a heart condition. Thanking you in anticipation of an early reply. Yours sincerely LMG
Hi LM Newcastle, to determine whether we could cover your husbands pre-existing condition, we would need you to first complete a medical assessment online. To do this you will need to go through the quote process on our website www.scti.com.au where you will be asked to complete a medical assessment (you can do this without having to purchase a policy). If you have any questions or concerns feel free to give us a call on 1800 196 484 or email us at info@scti.com.au. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

I am intending to purchases your policy but I have a concern. In your PDS it states that: If all or part of any valid claim is covered by another source,including any travel, sickness, accident, health, or income protection insurance policies, banks and/or credit card providers, or you are eligible to receive any refunds, credits, rebates or discounts, then you must provide us with those details and we will only pay or reimburse the difference. If you can claim against anyone else, you must claim against them first before we will consider covering the difference. This condition does not apply to Section D6 Personal accident. I will qualify for cover with my complimentary credit card Travel Insurance and contacted them regard this statement. They stated that as part of every claim they ask if there is other cover and where one has been purchased they consider that as the primary cover that must be used first. I do not want to be stuck in some legal stoush between two companies. What happens in this situation.
Hi Jenny96, apologies for the delay in responding to your question. In order to help you with this question we need to gather a bit more information from you, so could you please give us a call on 1800 196 484 or email us on info@scti.com.au. We look forward to hearing from you, Pepper@SCTI.

Hi, would like to get travel insurance for our trip to Bali in 2 weeks, are travel delays to and from Bali still covered or are any incidents involving Mount Agung not insured?
I was told by email, that my answer was on the website, but it is inconclusive and I would like someone to please clarify the issue, thank youHi Petronella, Apologies for the delay in responding to your question. At the moment, Mount Agung is still erupting and an alert level 3 remains in place. This means there is no cover for any events relating directly or indirectly to this volcano. Our underwriting team have published the following information about this on our website here: https://www.scti.com.au/travel-advice/mount-agung-bali/ All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Similar listings