4.7 from 2,727 reviews

Gladys Ling

Gladys LingIllawarra, NSW

No one should leave Australia without travel insurance.

my policy was accepted on line, and was great value for money. I paid for twelve months not expecting to claim as I'm a reasonably healthy person, but with the current virus I couldn't travel overseas as planned in October. My claim has been viewed and settled within a few weeks. I'm so pleased.

Koda Macca

Koda MaccaSydney, NSW

scammers / cheats

will never use this company again. travell cancelled by government. encourages you to make a claim then denies claim. then wont refund unused policy . excuse , you made a claim.... disgusting way of taking peoples money.

DestinationNorth America (inc. Hawaii)

Vicki RulePerth, WA

Total lack of timely communication with the customer!

Barry

BarryVictoria

This is why you take out travel insurance

Due to unforeseen circumstances it was necessary for us to lodge a claim. Because we took out our policy the moment we booked our trip our policy covered us fully.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
konrad s.

konrad s.Murrumbidgee Region, NSW

Huge fees to cancel due to travel bans!

Had to cancel insurance well in advance due to travel bans. No claims just no longer allowed to travel, ergo no need for insurance. Was charged 20 % to cancel. Nice little earner. Will not be using southern cross when I rebook travel.

Insurance Cover ForAdult

Avoid this company at all cost!

Do NOT I repeat Do Not use this company for travel insurance...they will happily take your money & find every reason possible not to cover your travel claim. There are many other better travel insurance companies out there.

Christine

ChristineSouth East Queensland, QLD

Fantastic service and amazing helpful people

Had to cancel on 27th February at start of Coronavirus outbreak
Only took three weeks to resolve which
regarding the timing just fantastic Had one call for confirmation purposes
Have used before and will again when travel resumes and easy to set up

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Southern Cross T.Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Christine, Thanks for the lovely feedback, it's great to hear that we were able to help you out. I hope you'll be able to take your trip soon! All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Cancellation of policy

Had to cancel my policy with them as we were no longer travelling overseas due to the corona virus. They cancelled the policy with no dramas and even waived the cancellation fee

Hi Damon, thanks for the five star review! All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Old codgerKendenup

Refused to refund

Took policy out in early Jan many emails to them requesting refund no reply only a notification that due to pandemic no refunds given absolutely disgusting company do not use this lot

Southern Cross T.Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Old codger, I'm sorry to hear you we're unable to get a refund on your policy. Could you please give us a call on 1800 196 484, so we can investigate this for you. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

petrol95

petrol95Sydney, NSW

Lack of service, policy (PDS) not clear and contradicted by bulk mailout from company

Christian

Christian

Great service and customer support

I was a bit scared as never heard about SCTI before. But thanks to the people for the reviews helping me to decide. I am glad that we choose SCTI. Did lodged claim, which was approved within 1-2 weeks. Great customer service. Well recommended.

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Southern Cross T.Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Christian, thanks for the lovely review! We appreciate your feedback. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

productreviewiscrap

productreviewiscrapSouth East Queensland, QLD

Try another company...

Robbie

RobbieFar North Queensland, QLD

SCTI doesn't cover pandemic

I have used SCTI before, but now regret buying travel insurance from SCTI for my upcoming trip to Europe as I find that they don't cover cancellation due to pandemic. I would suggest people considering travel insurance have a good look at the list of travel insurers compared in an article on the Choice website. https://www.choice.com.au
I will not use SCTI again. There are better products on the market.

Poor service

Sick of sending emails and not getting a reply for my very simple claim, I’ve tried ringing but after waiting 40 mins I got sick of the wait. Policy was good value and they had good reviews, the the reality is far different

Claim DateJanuary 2020
lencox49

lencox49AU

When trip is cancelled there is no refund on premium.

We purchased a policy form Scti to cover a cruise. We cancelled the insurance when we did not sail on the ship and would have expected a partial refund of the premium given that there was no risk of a claim from the date of cancellation.
SCTI is very difficult to contact and do not answer e-mails. They have denied a partial refund without any explanation. We have used SCTI for the past ten years as our insurer and had recommended them. We can no longer recommend them as they are too difficult to communicate with and there explanations don't pass the pub test.

DestinationNew Zealand
Type of ClaimOther
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateFebruary 2020

Karen

KarenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Disappointed

We had a ski trip booked to Japan in February. Given that Japan was a high risk region for the Coronavirus, we decided to cancel our holiday. SCTI have denied our claim for reimbursement even though we bought the policy last year. I have used SCTI in the past but will NOT be using them in the future given their response.

Poor Services

Julia_129

Julia_129Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Terrible! On hold for 1.5hrs!

DestinationPacific Islands (e.g. Fiji, Vanuatu)
Trent

TrentPerth, WA

Perfect cover, for a perfect trip.

Set my excess amount and was very happy with cost for the 6 days.

I have used SCTI before and have had to make a claim due to a lost phone and they resolved this very quickly for me.

I have used them for around 7 years (maybe 6) and will continue to use them.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea) and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Strider

StriderMid North Coast, NSW

Read the fine print about "cancelling" your trip or "pandemics". This policy doesn't cover half of the better policies.

Though the quote page allows for cancellation of a trip prior to departure, when I went to cancel I am not able to because of the exclusions built into this allowance. Its not a real cancellation allowance that a normal person would expect, be careful.

Also you are not covered for pandemics or quarantines even if you had the insurance before these events occured, I mean what is the point of travel insurance if not for those big 2 which are out of the travellers control?

Insurance Cover ForAdult and Child

barry sutherlandasked

please help have been ringing your office for 3 days been on hold for hours.Just need some reassurance .Leaving on 11-3-2020 for a trip to Vietnam already have policy with you .would like to ask some questions. Barry Sutherland

barry sutherland

ringing for 3days holding for hours need some reassurance leaving on 11-03-2020 for a trip to Vietnam already have a policy with you would like to ask some questions. Barry Sutherland ring 02 49283156

Bent O.

I am having a similar problem with a different company (I want to apply for insurance but their site is crashing). Obviously they are being hit by people panicking.
As you can already see they don’t now reply in this Review site but I did notice they have website updates. Suggest you check for alternate contact.

barry sutherlandasked

As above

Barry S.

Barry S.asked

As above

Get an answer from our members and Southern Cross Travel Insurance representatives

Download manual