See the Best Travel Insurance in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Pros

Good value for money
Accommodating customer service
Transparent policies

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (19)
    • 1-2 weeks (68)
    • 2-4 weeks (43)
    • 1-2 months (15)
    • 3+ months (3)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (131) · No (18)

Fast, easy and efficient claims process. Recommended

Son caught an illness whilst overseas. Having used other providers in the past, I was dreading the claims process. However, with SCTI it was easy to make the claim, and the outcome came back within the stated time and with a favorable outcome. We will definitely go with them again in the future.

Tim D
Tim D

Very poor service

Request policy documentation to be sent three times but nothing received, when I tried to cancel the policy it was another two attempts to process, I don't recommend this company.

Adam S
Adam SSouth East Queensland, QLD

Quick, Easy and Excellent Service

My wife and I travelled to Canada and unfortunately caught covid, thus needing to make a subsequent claim. Not only were SCTI one of the few companies offering covid insurance, they were competitively priced and when the time came to make a claim, it was incredibly quick and pain free compared to what I was expecting from an insurance claim. Communication was excellent and the team really seemed to care. Thanks so much.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Adam. Thank you for leaving a great review! We are glad to have been able to help and appreciate your positive feedback. All the best, Matt@SCTI

Hien L.
Hien L.

Come back to Southern Cross Travel International Insurance again

Today I have purchased an International Travel Insurance Policy with Southern Cross again given that I have confidence in this Insurer in terms of the efficiency and effectiveness of its services. A few years ago when my wife's mobile phone was stolen during a trip to China, I lodged a claim and provided witness & supporting statements from the Tour Guide and a fellow traveler. Southern Cross paid the claim without any hassles. In addition, I have found the Southern Cross coverage policy is very comprehensive, clear and easy to understand yet the cost is very competitive.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Hien. Thank you for leaving a positive review and once again putting your confidence in us. We hope your trip goes well! All the best Matt@SCTI

Excellent service

The policy was expensive because I wanted Covid cover for a 2 week cruise.
But I had peace of mind knowing that I was covered.
I was so stressed out when my luggage was lost and called Southern Cross from Canada and the customer service was excellent and told me what to do. My claim was resolved within a week thanks So much

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Jenny. Thank you for leaving this positive review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our service and claiming experience. All the best Matt@SCTI

Lyn B
Lyn BSouth Australia

Good service and result

Weather problems with our Fiji holiday caused loss of a day and other travel options needed due to cancellation of transit flights. SCTI gave good service and result to our claim.

DestinationPacific Islands (e.g. Fiji, Vanuatu)
Claim Made Yes
SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Lyn. Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that your travel arrangements were affected by bad weather but are glad that you enjoyed our service and the outcome of your claim. All the best, Matt@SCTI

covid claim

Tested positive to covid just before my trip. Claiming was very easy and had my claim paid within a fortnight. Very happy with the service and will use Southern Cross Travel Insurance again.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Grant. Thanks for leaving a review. We’re glad to hear your claiming experience was a positive one and that you enjoyed our service. We look forward to insuring you on future trips. All the best, Matt @SCTI.

Travel insurance and COVID-19: what you need to know

For many, international travel is back on the cards. Getting travel insurance that covers COVID-19 related events can give you peace of mind so that you can enjoy your trip while being safe, smart, and prepared - and you should know what to look out for before you shop around.

Clara V.

credit-card-awards-2020
Alec
AlecCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Quick and Easy Claim Management

Lodged a claim due to a moped accident in Bali, the claim was managed and settled in less than a week.

Will be using again given the reasonable cost and claim management.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Alec. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We’re glad to hear your claiming experience was a positive one, and we look forward to insuring you on future trips. All the best, Matt @SCTI.

SCTI made it easy

Easy way and cost effective to get travel insurance.
I am happy to use SCTI again. Fortunately I have not had to lodge a claim but I surmise it would be a easy straight forward process

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Jeff. Thank you for your positive review about purchasing our travel insurance. We look forward to covering you again sometime in the future. All the best, Matt@SCTI

Liz
LizJoyner

Claim satisfaction

I found the customer service telephone team very helpful, I was given options and I felt comfortable asking questions. The claim lodgement process was easy and my claim was approved without further contact.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Liz, thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Our claims and customer service team will be thrilled to hear of this positive feedback. All the best, Matt@SCTI

DavidL
DavidLTasmania

I didn’t need to claim, fortunately, but I had great confidence in SCTI from start to finish.

The quotation offered good value; the purchase process was straightforward, clear and simple; the terms of the policy were comprehensive and very reasonable; specific pre-departure questions were promptly dealt with by their representative. I had no cause for complaint in any area and had confidence in the product. I would use SCTI next time without hesitation.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi David, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and look forward to covering you again soon.

James H.
James H.

Quick, Easy & Fulfilling

SCTI was able to support us during (on the phone) our flight cancellation in USA and helping us understand what our accommodation options are.

Claims process was a breeze. Employees are very helpful and empathetic and went out of their way to ensure we claimed back all we were entitled to.

Would have loved an online chat function or multi-country number to be able to contact without international minutes to call BACK to Australia.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi James. Thank you for writing a positive review and including some feedback. It is unfortunate to hear that your journey was disrupted by cancelled flights but we’re happy to have been able to help. Best wishes Matt@SCTI

Mischa F.
Mischa F.South East Queensland, QLD

Exceptional service

We needed to contact SCTI after hours service due to challenges with flight changes and our insurance coverage. This contact was followed up on the Monday, and yet again the approach to helping us was warm and professional. Both consultants could not have been more personable and helpful. We could not recommend this company highly enough, we will certainly utilise their services in the future. Mischa and David.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Mischa, Thank you leaving us this positive review! We’re sorry to hear about the disruption to your trip, but it’s great to know that our team were able to help you. We look forward to travelling with you next time.

Highly Recommend

We had all of our flights cancel less than a month before we were supposed to leave for Ireland. New flights cost us more than twice the original price, airline isn't expected to pay out for months and we cleared most of our savings we had for the trip to buy the new flights. Southern Cross were absolutely amazing. Quick responses to calls and emails, genuinely helpful, nice people and they even pushed our claim through so we have the money back before we leave. We could not be more grateful and I won't be using any other insurance companies going forward, their fantastic service has made an incredibly stressful time much easier for us.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi Leigh, Thank you for your endorsement! We are glad to have been able to help and look forward to being with you on your next trip.

perfectpups74
perfectpups74South East Queensland, QLD

AVOID THIS COMPANY. Claim staff are New Zealand based. Hard to contact due to time difference. Claim dragged on & on

Our claim dragged on for over a year and Southern Cross did all they could possible to avoid paying claim.

Would STRONGLY AVOID using Southern cross Travel insurance they are only interested in dragging out the claim tk burn you out and give up

Michael K.
Michael K.asked
Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, could you please give me some clarification on your Cancellation Cover?
Pg 20 of your TravelCare policy document talks about your Single Trip Policy for for Cancellation Cover stating "You don’t need to choose when your cover starts. The date your insurance starts is the date and time you buy your policy. "
5 hours ago I purchased my airline tickets for a trip to Europe in October. Because I've bought my airline tickets BEFORE my travel insurance, does that mean I wouldn't be eligible for a successful insurance claim in the event of an unforeseen trip cancellation?
Specifically, the airline tickets just purchased?

HappyChap67asked
Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, We are going from Sydney to NZ on a cruise.
With your cruise cover it says something about only covered within 20 km of land? Does this mean if something happens to the boat across the sea we don't have cover?
Also, I see that the policy doesn't cover repatriation if we become too ill to travel home for medical treatment.?
Can you explain please? as I am looking at worst case scenarios.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel InsuranceSend a private message

Hi HappyChap67. Thank you for your interest in our policy for your upcoming cruise to New Zealand! We are happy to answer your questions so we have sent you a private message so we can discuss this further. Thanks Matt@SCTI

Pat K.
Pat K.asked

Hello
Do you offer travel insurance for travel to New Zealand and return, within the next month, for someone aged 76 yrs?

See all Southern Cross Travel Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and Southern Cross Travel Insurance representatives

Features

• To be eligible for domestic cover you must live in Australia permanently, be eligible for a Medicare card and travelling more than 100km (amongst other stipulated conditions).
  • The domestic policy covers: changes to your journey, cancellations, baggage and personal items, rental vehicle excess, cash allowance in hospital, expense for a loved one if you’re in hospital, pet services, childcare expenses, funeral expenses, personal accident and personal liability.
  • The single trip policy covers one-off trips, while the annual multi-trip option may be suitable if you travel frequently and up to 90 days at a time. Both policies are offered for either individuals or families. They include unlimited cover for medical costs and evacuation, cancelling or changing your journey before leaving, or after leaving, baggage and personal items, cash, bank cards, travel documents and passports, personal accidents, rental vehicle excess, personal liability, and option cover for mopeds and motorbikes, as well as skiing and snowboarding.
  • There is also a third policy specifically for cruise holidays.
  • Some policy options may include cover for dependent children under 18, and or young adults aged 18-21 - provided some conditions are met.

Points of praise

• Good value for money was one of the definite plus points about Southern Cross insurance policies.
  • According to reviewers, this insurer was accommodating about approving claims for cancelled trips due to COVID-19, including cancelled flights.
  • Points were awarded for the travel insurer's transparent policies, which were easy to understand.
  • The customer service is friendly, proactive and efficient. It makes this an easy company to deal with.
  • The claims process was reported to be quick and easy. Once approved, money was refunded into bank accounts quickly.
Compare both Southern Cross Travel Insurance
Loss of IncomeUp to $500 per week, up to $13,000
Permanent Disability$25,000$25,000
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $500
Delayed Luggage $1,000 per person, $5,000 per journey$1,000 per person, $5,000 per journey
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000 (Laptop, Tablet, or Camera)
Luggage & Personal Effects $25,000