Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Southern Cross Travel Insurance

4.7 from 2,516 reviews

Great service. Great policy. Great price.

I have been using SCTI for some eight or nine years now. It is a great policy with extensive coverage, great value for money and easy to purchase. “Touch wood” I’ve never need to make a claim in all those years, but have great faith that if I do SCTI will be there to assist.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Lindsey F, thanks for your kind review and continued loyalty. We look forward to covering your next trip! All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Easy and simple, great price and service.

Easy and simple, great price and service. Wasn't needed, but that's not the point peace of mind is especially when overseas. As stated setting up was easy and simple with little time wasted doing so.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Rodney Kenneth Parnell, thanks for your feedback! I’m happy you could travel with peace of mind, knowing you were covered by SCTI. We hope to hear from you when you’re planning your next adventure, Pepper@SCTI

Great service!

I had a mishap at Singapore airport before boarding my flight home and fractured my wrist. I received first class medial treatment and was able to fly the following day. STCI have been very helpful.

Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Judith, I’m sorry to hear that you fractured your wrist while you were at Singapore airport, I could imagine how stressful that must have been! I’m pleased our team were able to support you in this time. All the best for your recovery, Pepper@SCTI

Solid product and customer experience

Easy to get a policy online, simple to claim (have done so previously). Easy to ask questions when required and staff are happy to help. Policy is easy to understand compared to others.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Traveller, thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback, it's great to hear your experience was a positive one! All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Recommendation

This policy was very competitive & some questions I had prior to taking out the policy were answered accurately & professionally. I have used SCTI previously & most certainly will in the future.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Mal, Thanks for the lovely feedback and for taking the time to share it with the Product Review community. We look forward to covering your next adventure! Pepper@SCTI

Be alarmed -- Treatment is in public hospitals only as per policy -- Please check before you take out policy -

It is a very easy process to take out this travel and medical insurance policy and this is my third time with SCTI but fortunately have not had to make any claims so far. I took out my policies mainly after reading rave reviews on here.
I am a bit confused and bewildered when I did read the policy document FOR the first time which stated that the treatment is available through public hospitals only and not PRIVATE or hospital of your choice. This is playing with danger and straight into the LIONS DEN to be eaten alive and buried as not all countries in the third world would have decent public hospitals.
No wonder the premiums are cheaper than most other insurers but NOT CHEAP anymore according to my current experience. I did confirm the above point before departure from customer service but it was way too late for me to swap over to another insurer. The reply was to ring us and we will allocate case by case basis. " are you serious does one have the time to really ring around scti first to confirm and then go to a appropriate hospital or doctor" They were quite happy to refund me my premium and cancel the policy. For my entire trip I was worried as to what would happen if i needed emergency medical treatment.
I could be wrong but please be aware of the above and check for a policy which allows you to go to a decent hospital of your choice for urgent medical treatment if required.
I would like to see more clarity in their policy document that does not exclude non public hospitals. Would I use them again ?? I don't know. I would definitely seek a policy which has no exclusions and be prepared to pay a higher premium and be at peace.
Thank you SCTI - Please make the above clear in bold letters on the first line of your policy premium page document and make all aware before they pay their premium.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Sam, Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We understand that being unwell or injured overseas can be stressful when it comes to travelling, however, the TravelCare policy is designed to help customers in these situations. In relation to covering customers private medical treatment costs, we always base our decision on a case-by-case basis. Under our TravelCare policy, we ask that customers first seek a public hospital where possible. However, we do understand that this may not be possible if the customer is too unwell or injured to choose where they seek treatment. For example, if someone had to go to a private medical facility due to a medical emergency, we would understand this. If we feel that the insured is not getting the best treatment and care through a public hospital, there is an evacuation benefit under the TravelCare policy to move them to another hospital, country or bring them home. The same applies for private facilities – which may not be able to provide the appropriate treatment the customer needs. If a customer needs to be moved, we base our decision on whether or not they are fit to travel. Sometimes a person needs to be stabilised where they are before it’s safe to return them home or move them elsewhere – customer safety always comes first. If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further, please give us a call on 1800 196 484 or email us at info@scti.com.au. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

A great company for travel insurance

Scti deserves its high rating. Staff are helpful and friendly. I have used this insurance for 4 or 5 trips now one of which involved a fractured hip and they were very supportive through the whole process including arranging follow-up specialist review and cover for cancellation of accommodation.

DestinationEurope and North America
Type of ClaimMedical and Travel Delays/Cancellations
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Peter, I’m sorry to hear that you fractured your hip on one of your overseas holidays, I hope you’ve made a full recovery. Thank you for the lovey feedback and for taking the time to share it with the Product Review community. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

"The best insurance"

I have used SCTI (Southern Cross Travel Insurance) for many years now and am very happy to have used them again on my trip to Morocco this year.. I find the policy very easy to understand and will be using them again on my next trip.

DestinationAfrica
Claim MadeNo
Hi Ceejaa, Thanks for the lovely review and for your continued loyalty. Its great to hear that you could travel with peace of mind, knowing you were covered by SCTI. We look forward to covering your next adventure, Pepper@SCTI

Positive experience

Good service, from the online application to the telephone and email service, all aspects of this travel insurance experience were positive. I have used this company at least five times due to ease of use and price, and every time has been hassle free, even when I needed to extend my policy whilst overseas. Fantastic work guys, keep it up.

DestinationAsia, Australia/Oceania and South America
Claim MadeNo
Hi Sandra E, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the Product Review community, it’s great to hear that you’re happy with our service! All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Good priced insurance

SCTI has in the past always been very good comparative financial value. I have used them at least 7 times. On two trips I have made claims of a relatively small amount re car incidents. I have complied with police reporting requirements of SCTI each time. Both claims were dealt with quickly and efficiently. Refund for repair damage paid on one. Never heard of the 2nd claim results at all. Only when you make a claim can you judge an insurance company truly. Keep up the good work SCTIa

Type of ClaimOther
Claim DateSeptember 2017
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Mossie, thanks for your lovely feedback and continued loyalty. I’m pleased to hear that you’ve found our claiming process to be quick and efficient. We look forward to covering your next journey, Pepper@SCTI.

Support when you need it

My son got sick and required hospitalization in HK. SCTI were sympathetic and supported us during a stressful time. The claims process took a bit of time just after Christmas, but was otherwise straightforward and we had the whole claim approved. Thanks SCTI team.

Claim MadeYes
Hi Matt N, I’m sorry to hear that your son was unwell when you were in Hong Kong, I hope he’s recovering well. I’m happy to hear that we were able to offer our support during this stressful time. Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

Pleasant experience

I have used SCTI before and the whole experience from signing up to making adjustments was very pleasant. Very customer centric. I selected insurance to cover my travel dates and then a week before my return journey realised that even though I started my return journey on 23Feb I arrived in Sydney on 24Feb (due to time difference). I sent SCTI an email and they extended the cover and waived the small charge. I recommend.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Des, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with the Product Review community. It’s great to hear that your experience with us was a positive one. Safe travels, Pepper@SCTI.

Professional service, hassle free claim

I have used Southern Cross Travel several times because it was competitively priced and easy to purchase. I'd never had to claim until my last trip when my camera was damaged and prescription sunglasses were stolen. SCTI claims process was straight forward and once I'd provided the necessary documentation, they paid my claim in full. I really appreciate the professional and 'hassle free' way my claim was handled and will definitely recommend SCTI to my friends and family.

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property and Other
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Caroline C, I’m sorry to hear that your camera was damaged, and your prescription sunglasses were stolen on your last trip. I’m pleased to hear that you found our claiming process to be hassle free, its great to hear your feedback! All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

great affordable insurance

This was the first time I have used this insurance company and will use them again in the future. The policy was easy to set up and when I got sick overseas I was able to talk immediately to a rep in Australia. I sent in my claim and it was approved the following week for my medical expenses. This experience was unlike other insurance companies I have used in the past. I am very happy to have found them.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Amd11, I’m sorry to hear that you were unwell on your holiday, I hope you’re recovering well. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback – I’m pleased to hear we were able to support you during this time. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

No refunds for cutting trip early

Long time SCTI customer, never made a claim. Be aware that, even if you come back early from your trip, there are NO REFUNDS under any circumstances. Unlike other insurances, you will not get any refund for any outstanding days if you come back early from your trip.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Alex, I’m sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with our service. We take this kind of feedback seriously and use customer insights to continually improve our services. I will pass this over to our team for consideration, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

Quick easy website to navigate to get a quote - which was competitive even with the ski resort cover added.

The policy was easy to set up - less than 10 minutes on the computer. I have used SCTI over the last six years and fortunately have not had to make a claim.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Dan, thanks for the five-star review and for your continued loyalty! I’m pleased to hear that your trips have gone smoothly, and you haven’t needed to submit a claim. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

Happy First-Time Customer

100% happy customer. Got my money back a week after sending receipts and documents. Agents were easily accessible during my case inquiry while overseas. Even sent me a follow up email regarding my son's condition.

Insurance Cover For:Adult, Child and Teenager
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Gilda M, I’m sorry to hear that you had to claim on your recent trip, I hope your son is recovering well. I’m pleased that we were able to support you during this time. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Product Review community. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

Can’t speak highly enough about SC

My partner and I have used SC on multiple overseas trips. Every time the company has been prompt in responses, efficient and professional. I even received a friendly follow up email confirming my return from a recent trip, it’s the little things that go a long way. I wouldn’t go with anyone else. Thanks SC!

DestinationSouth America
Insurance TypeMulti-Trip
Type of ClaimPersonal Liability
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Crystal, thank you for the lovely feedback and for your continued loyalty. I’m happy to hear that you appreciated our welcome home email. We hope to hear from you when you're planning your next holiday, Pepper@SCTI.

Excellent customer service

I like the fact they have a zero excess option which we decided to take. As it happened, we had to make a few claims around doctors visits and prescriptions when recently in France as it was winter and we have a baby. The process with SCTI was straitforward and approved. Dealing with people on the phone was great, friendly positive staff and will be using them again that's for sure.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Child
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Daniel, I’m sorry to hear that you and your family were unwell during your time in France, I hope you’re feeling better now. Thanks for sharing your experience, it’s great to hear that you found the claiming process to be straightforward! All the best, Pepper@SCTI.

Trip to emergency department at hospital

Recently on an overseas trip I had the unfortunate occasion to go to the emergency department of a local hospital for some treatment. The treatment I received was of the best standard and resulted in me being allowed to carry on with my holiday. On returning to Australia I initiated a claim with SCTI and was paid out within 3 weeks of the claim. I have found SCTI to be a reliable and well worthwhile travel insurance company and will do business with them in the future as I have done in the past. This was not the first time I have used SCTI but is the first time I have claimed and am extremely happy with their service.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Ralph, I’m very sorry to hear you had to seek medical treatment on your trip, I hope you’re recovering well. I’m happy to hear your claiming experience was a positive one, I will pass this feedback onto our team. Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. All the best, Pepper@SCTI.Cheers nearly all good but SCTI you are great......

does travel insurance cover car accident say repair bills come $1000 for another car and my car $2000
Hi Vinod S, Thank you for your question. The TravelCare policy provides cover for rental vehicle excess up to $5000. This means that when you hire a car overseas, you will need to purchase insurance from the rental vehicle company to cover the car (which includes damage to third party vehicles). Therefore, in your example the insurance you took out with the rental vehicle company would cover the repair bills for damage to your car and the other car involved. They would then charge you an excess and you would be able to claim this back through your TravelCare policy. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us on 1800 196 484 or email us at info@scti.com.au. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

I have now used scti twice without making a claim we are off again in May but you don’t seem to have any discounts for repeat business?
f you’re planning on taking several trips a year, our Annual Multi-Trip policy might be a more cost (and time) effective choice than shopping around for travel insurance every time you travel. Once purchased, you’re covered for an unlimited number of return journeys overseas, over a period of 12 months commencing on your start date of insurance. You can choose to have journeys covered up to a maximum of 30, 60 or 90-day in length. So if you’re planning to go on several trips this year, you could buy just one policy to get cover for a year’s worth of adventure. If you buy a ‘Family’ Annual Multi-Trip Policy, the adults on the Certificate of Insurance can travel independently, however any dependent children named on the Certificate of Insurance are only covered if travelling with an adult named on the same Certificate of Insurance."The above is copied from the information on multi-trips. ceejaaHi David and Paula Cox, Thank you for your continued loyalty. We don’t currently offer a discount for repeat customers, however, it’s really useful for us to collect insights from our customers so we can continually improve our services. I’ll pass your feedback over to our team for consideration. All the best, Pepper@SCTI

ceejaa - I am wondering why 1 of my comments on SCTI were rejected, as I have used your company for many years now, not since 2018 as mentioned but many years. Regards Connie Johnson
Suggest that the comment is in violation of publishing standards somehow. i suggest you ring Product Review as they would have rejected it not SCTI. It is also likely that a machine makes the decision and not a person.Thanks Mossie. As mentioned in my text I have used SCTI for many years now and couldn't be happier. The policy is easy to understand and I will keep using you for all my travels. Regards Connie Johnson

Similar listings