• Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 weeks (59)
    • 2-4 weeks (40)
    • 1-2 months (15)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (115) · No (17)
Curly hair
Curly hairGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

They approached us!!

Recently SCTI contacted us to organise a refund for the trip we will probably never do! So much better than the way the airline has treated us. Our family have used them before. Value for money with good cover. The policy is easy to read. One day we will use them again I hope.

Matt
MattSydney, NSW

Fantastic experience - will use again and have already begun recommending

Good service

After receivig damage to my hire vehice I rang SCTI and received clear advice on making a claim. The claim was easy to make and finalised quickly and efficiently - very happy customer.

maryann
maryannHunter Region, NSW

Best travel insurance

Have been using scti for a number of years while in Spain. Have had to make a number of claims. It has always been a straightforward process and quick payment.

Great product!

After researching a few companies, we were impressed with the product offered by Southern Cross Travel Insurance. The base policy was good value and the additional payments for pre-existing conditions were reasonable. It was also cheap to remove the excess. Fortunately, we didn't have to lodge a claim. We will definitely consider Southern Cross Travel Insurance for coverage for future holidays.

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019
what-is-peer-to-peer-lending
Burtinen
BurtinenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

COVID as excuse to reject claims

I had to change flights within Australia due to Emirates temporarily suspending operations at some major airports in Australia for "operational reasons" as per Emirates' announcement. My claim for the additional cost of changing the flights was rejected by labelling Emirates decision as COVID-related. Well then currently anything and everything is COVID-related. This was an unexpected event as Emirates continued to operate throughout 2020.

Please be mindful of this when buying a policy with SCTI. How convenient for a travel insurer nowadays to change policies and find excuses to reject claims. I would have expected a more sensible resolution of the matter.

Tina K.
Tina K.Perth, WA

Great service in time of need

We travelled a lot over the years and for the last few years have used SCTI. In March 2020 we had to cancel a trip to the US for non-COVID related reasons. The process to have our airfares refunded was easy and quick. All up it was a painless experience, done online and by email instead of sitting on a phone for hours. For an insurance company, I was hugely impressed.

Carmel
CarmelMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

If only all companies were like this one...

Great customer care and prompt clear communication

I have used SCI on 2 occasions. The big test of any insurer is when you make a claim and fortunately I have not had to do so with either policy but when I had to cancel my policy due to Covid restrictions, the communication was friendly, professional and they refunded my premium promptly and without issue. Their rates are competitive, their online platforms are easy to use and their communications have always been prompt. I will be using them for my next trip without question.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Adrian, we appreciate your review and look forward to covering your next trip. Best wishes, Katie@SCTI

Millsy
MillsyRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Not your average insurance company!!

Have been a customer for many years, our claim was kept open until all our refunds came back from tour, air and cruise companies.
We were emailed monthly, to see how we were going with our refunds, our last refund was 0n 19/7/20, after emailing SCTI today, 21/7/20 we received our balance or shortfall this afternoon, same day !! For me, this is extraordinary for any insurance company, well done SCTI.
PS. thank you Sarah from claims !!!

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Millsy, thank you so much for your feedback. We're really happy that we were able to make your claiming experience such a good one. Best wishes, Deb@SCTI

Vgm
VgmSydney, NSW

Never use them again

we found ourselves having to pay for flights back to Australia due to Covid-19. Nothing back at all. Had to get AFCA to negotiate refund on unused Policy portion. The wording is so tight that everything got blamed on the pandemic. I’ve used them for the last 15 years. NEVER AGAIN.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, I'm sorry you're not happy with cover related to COVID-19. If you have any further questions, please call our team for help on 1800 196 484, or email us at info@scti.com.au. All the best, Deb@SCTI

No Help, or remunerations, it stinks

Took out a policy with SCTI last September before anyone in the world knew about Covid-19, took out extra cover to cover cost of Trip which was 20K, claimed for accommodation in India and subsequent Flight home having being asked to leave India because all Tourists were being expelled, in the small print on an obscure page apparently it states that if a Pandemic is declared your insurance policy is voided, that's all well and good but at least we should receive a refund of the cost of the policy having taken out our policy as I said above in September everything is weighted in favour of your company and I for one will never use you company again, and I will inform anyone who will listen about how bad you have treated us

Policy number

take1ststep
take1ststepSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible SCTI to deal with, Never again will buy insurance with SCTI

Bought Travel insurance before Pandemic was declared, travelled oversease. Had to return back to Oz due to Pandemic bought new tickets, etc.
SCTI refused to pay new expenses due to Pandemic. That's it. Ni one could predict a pandemic would be declared so quickly. Don't want to take any responsibility but they are happy to take your money when you pay the premium. Appealed through their internal processes to no avail.

DON'T ever bother to buy insurance with this company, waste of money and time trying to get my money back.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Easy application and good value

Have insured with SCTI over several years now. Applying remains simple and the cover is still great value. I have only ever needed to claim once but the cover is well worth the peace of mind.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi MJM, we appreciate your review and hope we can help again soon. Best wishes Deb@SCTI

Leen
LeenSydney, NSW

Stand-up company. full premium refunded as travel cancelled due to covid

Appreciate SCTI to refund our premium paid for as our trip was cancelled. It was refunded quickly as well as waiving the usual $35 admin fee. Appreciate companies that try to assist customers during bad times.

SCTISouthern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi Leen, We're pleased you're happy with your premium refund and appreciate your review. Best wishes, Deb@SCTI

presso
pressoasked

just wondering if SCTI have good snow and ski coverage

barry sutherlandasked

please help have been ringing your office for 3 days been on hold for hours.Just need some reassurance .Leaving on 11-3-2020 for a trip to Vietnam already have policy with you .would like to ask some questions. Barry Sutherland

ringing for 3days holding for hours need some reassurance leaving on 11-03-2020 for a trip to Vietnam already have a policy with you would like to ask some questions. Barry Sutherland ring 02 49283156

Bent O.

I am having a similar problem with a different company (I want to apply for insurance but their site is crashing). Obviously they are being hit by people panicking.
As you can already see they don’t now reply in this Review site but I did notice they have website updates. Suggest you check for alternate contact.

barry sutherlandasked

As above

See all Southern Cross Travel Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and Southern Cross Travel Insurance representatives

CategoryTravel Insurance
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimited
Loss of Income$6,500
Permanent Disability$25,000
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $500 (as part of Travel Document cover)
Delayed Luggage $1,000 per person, $5,000 per journey
Credit Card FraudNot Included
Travel Documents / Passport $1,000
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000 (Laptop, Tablet, or Camera)
Luggage & Personal Effects $25,000