Verified🏆 2024 Award

• 1-2 weeks (117)
  • 2-4 weeks (70)
  • 1-2 months (23)
  • 3+ months (5)
Claim ApprovedYes (235) · No (22)
Good value for money
Accommodating customer service
Transparent policies
See the Best Travel Insurance in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance3,040 reviews
Scott
ScottNTDarwin, NT
  Verified Domestic Travel Insurance

5 stars, no hassle claims

Jetstar cancelled a flight last minute (again) fortunately I had SCTI domestic insurance. $5k for flights and $950 for a forfeiture of a houseboat all covered. Claim was processed in 10 days, no hassles. This is why I have been using them for over a decade. 5 stars! Show details
Elsie C.
Elsie C.WAPerth, WA
  Fair Incentive International Comprehensive

Good I had no need to use but was peace of mind

I had no need to use the insurance but it was peace of mind Show details ·  1
Sue parnham
Sue parnham
  International Medical Only Travel Insurance

Experience

We only took out medical insurance. Fortunately we did not need to make a claim. Website and policy easy to use and understand. Show details ·  1
Sheila
SheilaWAPerth, WA2 posts
  Domestic Travel Insurance

Limited illness cancellation reasons

Cancellation for any relevant person (including travel companion or close relatives at home) only covered if terminal illness, hospital impatient etc. Change of circumstances, such as recovering from major accident, so you or travel companion is unfit to travel, or requiring you remain at home to care for close relative is not covered. Show details
Tim S.
Tim S.QLDSouth East Queensland, QLD6 posts

WARNING: YOUR IN HIGH PROBABILITY NOT COVERED ON A CRUISE

Even with the optional cruise cover included, your not covered. Had a read of their PDS, and in their fine print page 82, section E31, as soon as you have a beer or consume any alcohol, you have null and voided your entire policy if you need medical attention. Who goes on a cruise to be sober the whole time? Not very transparent and logical to have this, other than to decline people saying you should of known. Buyers be warned. Show details
Darron
Darron
  International Medical Only Travel Insurance

Great customer service

This was great value for money medical only travel insurance and customer service regarding my claim was excellent. Thanks Megan. Will recommend SCTI to my family and friends. Show details ·  1
Leigh A.
Leigh A.QLDSouth East Queensland, QLD
  International Comprehensive

Reasonable pricing but didn't have to make a claim

They were one of the cheapest for travel through Thailand and Vietnam, so reasonable pricing. However didn't have to make a claim which is always the real test. Show details ·  1
Monika
MonikaACTCanberra Central 2601, ACT
  International Comprehensive

No claim required but felt it would have been straightforward

See above for my comment. The application was straightforward and extending my cover was easy. Show details ·  1
Kooky K.
Kooky K.SAMetropolitan Adelaide, SA
  Verified International Comprehensive
Fortunate
FortunateNSWSydney, NSW

Amazing Service

Unfortunately got ill a week after into my holiday abroad.

I was horribly ill . The whole situation was handled very professionally and swift by Southern Cross.

They regularly kept in touch with me all the time . Until i was out of hospital and safely back home .

I would give them a 10 Star Review. Show details ·  1

Google U.
Google U.2 posts

Impressed

After calling around a few different insurers to get quotes for a 6 week, multi-stop international trip for my son and I, I chose SCTI. They were very easy to get hold of, lovely on the phone, very clear as to what was covered and what was not. Their price was good and I was confident I had all the info I needed. After my trip I only needed to claim for one medical cost of around $200. I put the claim in easily online and uploaded the necessary docs, and it was processed within 24 hours! After deducting the $100 excess, they paid the balance out to me. I was really impressed with how quick and easy it was, and I will always use them in the future. Show details ·  1
Raymond
RaymondWAPerth, WA2 posts

Easy to deal with !!!

I always take out travel insurance and never expect to claim, but the worst happened before the trip where our daughter was admitted to hospital and we could not travel. We lodged the claim with supporting documentation online and it was processed and paid within 10 days. Will definitely use Southern Cross Travel Insurance again next time we travel. Show details ·  1
Suzanne Bongioletti
Suzanne BongiolettiDevonport2 posts

Wonderful travel insurance experience

I almost never take out travel insurance for domestic travel but felt uneasy with the airline I had booked with , I decided to rebook another flight as my return flight was already booked, thank goodness I went with my intuition.
I decided to call SCTI because they had given me a refund on a flight I couldn’t take because of COVID, this restored my faith in insurance.
As it turned out I did need to claim as the original flight I booked never took off, I was so relieved I had insurance.
I couldn’t fault the customer service I received from start to finish it was stress free, so many of my friends were impressed with my outcome .
I can’t recommend SCTI highly enough, thank you . Show details ·  1
Grateful Policy Holder
Grateful Policy Holder
  Verified International Comprehensive

Honourable Reliable company

For my policy, I paid extra for pre-existing medical conditions-but not as much as other companies had quoted.
On a cruise, I contracted Covid and had large medical expenses for a stay in the medical centre.
SCTI covered these expenses in full. My claim was resolved within three weeks. Communication was clear and attentive. Detailed evidence was, of course, required. Perfectly reasonable.
I give an unhesitating recommendation for an excellent company! I will always use SCTI. Show details ·  1
Kim T
Kim T2 posts

Easy Travel Insurance

Easy to navigate web site and obtain competitive pricing, with like for like inclusions. Show details ·  1

Iris Y.
Iris Y. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

(a) Is the call from overseas to your helpline (1800-196-484) a reverse charge call or do I pay for the call?
(b) If the overseas hospitalisation expense is more than $2000 and approved by SCTI, does SCTI pay the hospital directly or do I pay first?
(c) Does your comprehensive travel insurance cover a new epidemic or pandemic that is NOT Covid?

Thanks.

Rod Woodham
Rod Woodham · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

We are going on a European river cruise, and on some policies we do not need to take out cruise add on option. Is this the case with Southern Cross?
Thanks,
Rod

Lyn
Lyn · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

There has been a lot of reports of people falling while of holidays and because they have had a drink they are not covered. I have looked at your manual and it is not clear. What do you deem as under the influence

Wendy
Wendy

Features

• To be eligible for domestic cover you must live in Australia permanently, be eligible for a Medicare card and travelling more than 100km (amongst other stipulated conditions).
  • The domestic policy covers: changes to your journey, cancellations, baggage and personal items, rental vehicle excess, cash allowance in hospital, expense for a loved one if you’re in hospital, pet services, childcare expenses, funeral expenses, personal accident and personal liability.
  • The international single trip policy covers one-off trips, while the international annual multi-trip option may be suitable if you travel frequently and up to 90 days at a time. Both policies are offered for either individuals or families. They include unlimited cover for medical costs and evacuation, cancelling or changing your journey before leaving, or after leaving, baggage and personal items, cash, bank cards, travel documents and passports, personal accidents, rental vehicle excess, personal liability, pet services, childcare expenses, and optional cover for cruises, mopeds and motorbikes, and skiing and snowboarding.
  • Some policy options may include cover for dependent children under 18, and or young adults aged 18-21 - provided some conditions are met.

Points of praise

• Good value for money was one of the definite plus points about Southern Cross insurance policies.
  • According to reviewers, this insurer was accommodating about approving claims for cancelled trips due to COVID-19, including cancelled flights.
  • Points were awarded for the travel insurer's transparent policies, which were easy to understand.
  • The customer service is friendly, proactive and efficient. It makes this an easy company to deal with.
  • The claims process was reported to be quick and easy. Once approved, money was refunded into bank accounts quickly.
Compare all Southern Cross Travel Insurance listings
Get a QuoteGet a QuoteGet a QuoteGet a Quote
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
UnderwriterSouthern Cross Benefits LtdSouthern Cross Benefits LtdSouthern Cross Benefits LtdSouthern Cross Benefits Ltd
Maximum Age Covered 118 years old118 years old118 years old118 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedUnlimitedNot IncludedUnlimited
Accidental Death$50,000$25,000$25,000$50,000
Emergency Dental$2,000$2,000Not Included$2,000
Pregnancy (max weeks) 24 weeks24 weeks20 weeks24 weeks
Resumption of Journey Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Hospital Cash Allowance$3,000$3,000$3,000$3,000
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedUnlimitedNot CoveredUnlimited
Loss of Income$6,500Not IncludedNot Included$6,500
Permanent Disability$50,000Not Included$25,000$50,000
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $500Not IncludedNot Included$500
Delayed Luggage $1,000Not Included$1,000$1,000
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000 (Laptops, Tablets, Cameras)Not Included$750$3,000 (Laptops, Tablets, Cameras)
Luggage & Personal Effects $25,000Not Included$15,000$25,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability $1,000,000$1,000,000$2,500,000$1,000,000
Rental Vehicle Excess $10,000Not Included$6,000$10,000
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Optional add-on up to 200ccNot IncludedNot IncludedOptional add-on up to 200cc
Domestic Pet Care $1000Not Included$500$1000
Special Activities Packages
GolfNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
CruiseOptional ExtraNot IncludedNot IncludedOptional Extra
Adventure Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Snow / SkiOptional ExtraNot IncludedNot IncludedOptional Extra
ManualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manualDownload manual
Awards 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2 more2018, 2019, 2020 and 2 more2018, 2019, 2020 and 2 more2018, 2019, 2020 and 2 more
Compare all Southern Cross Travel Insurance listings