Commonwealth Bank Home Insurance

See the Best Home and Contents Insurance in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Ripped off!!!!

I have or shall I say had home content insurance with the commonwealth bank for close to two years,,i accidentally broke one of my chineses emperor statutes, so i made a claim and guess what surprise surprise my claim was rejected because the statue does not fall under contents WHAT!!! But they were very happy to take my money every month...never again ...shame shame commonwealth bank choke on the claim...

Coverage TypeContents Only
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateAugust 2019

Madness

Monthly instalments have increased from $62 in 2017 to $87 in 2018 and just received a renewal for $118. Just cancelled the policy. That’s ludicrous. An increase of more than 50% in 2 years.

Claim DateFebruary 2019

Rip off and disgusting

As a customer I have been with Comm bank for 10 years and took Home and contents Insurance 4 years back along with Housing loan I am with Zero claims but still they increased my premium to $1400 from $1027. I have called the customer service and the guy said there will be an increase of 6% every year which I agreed but he was not able to justify why there is an increase of $373 from last year. I have cancelled the policy and moved to Woolworths at a cheaper cost saving almost $560

Claim MadeNo

Waste of time, you will be paying them for nothing.

We have been with CommInsure for 7 years as it was a great tie in with our mortgage, that was our first mistake. We were young and naive and 3 out of 4 claims through the years have been rejected. We thought this was normal at first and accepted it when they told us these things were our fault. The only claim they did cover was fencing that blew down in the storm however even then they only allowed for the section that actually fell not the parts that cracked along the bottom either side of the hole (which the fence repairers we had quote the job said they should of). As soon as the fencer removed the capping double the amount they allowed for fell over as well and "it wasn't damaged by the storm" was what they had to say about it. They make you get all your own quotes and organise all your own repairers and I'm sorry but from what I'm hearing other insurance companies have preferred contractors that will come and quote up the repairs for you and then do the repairs if you dont have time to fish around for the best price. Now that we have had a serious claim that caused some real damage to our home being rejected we know enough is enough and they will weasel out of anything they can, to not pay out a cent. Run from CommInsure RUN FAR AWAY!!!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim ApprovedNo

If I could give 0 stars I would!!!

Honestly, hand down the worst insurance company to deal with! They do not cover anything especially compared to all other insurance companies! I work for a building company for insurance.
My dad works fifo and while away my sister checks on his house. My dad had been away 3 days and my sister advised the cupboard under the sink and floor surrounding was completely flooded! So, as you would we put in a claim. Builder came out and advised the insurance company it was a “slow gradual leak” so claim was declined.
Now, my dad used everything in that particular cupboard 3 days earlier and there was no sign of any water. So my question to the insurance company was how slow could this ‘leak’ have been to cause that amount of damage in such little time.
Now as per the pds the water came from a burst pipe (a fixed fixture) so does class as building.
The cupboards and shelves are completely destroyed.
The building company also tried to tell us that comminsure will not match all cupboards in they could not find the same material and to change all cupboards in the kitchen would be at our expense.
CommInsure told us they would send out a disputed form 5 weeks ago for us to fill out and still have not received but we did receive a letter to say they have finalised......
this is not the first time we have put in a honest claim that has been declined for absolutely rediculous reasons.
One of the most expensive insurance that cover absolutely nothing!!
Rude staff and obsurd customer service

Be Aware

Have been a customer with Comm. Ins. for several years.
My very first claim has not been handled well.
Long drawn out responses within claims dept. After 1 month I get a negative answer, without my claim even being assessed.
This is a boundary fence problem, my next door neighbour's insurance company sent an assessor onsite, had his claim approved and paid within 14 days.
This company, really appear to just want to dismiss as many claims as they can.
Wished I had read some of these reviews 5 years ago.

Claim DateMay 2019

WORST EVER. DON'T USE EVER

Been with them nearly two years and go to make a claim. Service is appalling. Want me to pay 2 excesses. Have hire car in insurance but you have to pay rental bond. Disgusting. Put in written complaint. No action taken.book your car in for repairs over 1.5 hrs away instead of locally. What a joke this insurance is. Save yourself the heartache. Don't use.

Property TypeOther
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMay 2019

Terrible, never again

Having a great experience with CBA banking, I went with landlord insurance with them. I have been trying to contact them to get an update on claim but no response.

Property TypeApartment/Unit
Claim DateMarch 2019

Absolutely do not insure with comm bank

We had the roof of our deck collapse after a storm. Won’t cover it for absolute lame reasons. Now I read the reviews of how bad they are!! Obviously changing insurers but hopefully can stop others from making the same mistake.

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater

keep clear of this mob

Had a severe storm and arborist said I needed to remove the tree immediately to prevent it falling on house and causing extensive damage. Sought to be reimbursed $350 (after excess deducted). Told not covered but would have been covered if tree had fallen on house (would have been thousands of dollars in damage). I explained contract law requires an insured party to take reasonable action to prevent or mitigate damage but they still would not pay a lousy $350 - they should have taken me out to lunch. Will not be reinsuring, not that they care.

Claim MadeYes
After a detailed second submission and advising CommInsure I was filing a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority I was contacted within 3 days and my claim settled - guess I have to give them credit for that.

Knocked back again

Been with them 25 years and never made any other claim,besides the 2 below.
Neighbours shed blew over fence and damaged the structure of concrete wall (knocked back )
Water damage under my ceilings from 2 x flash floods (was told it was from waterproofing incorrect,damage came after house had been built for 8 years?)

Claim MadeNo

December claim and no reply for 3 months!!

I have one claim in and they said driver error which it wasn’t!

Now I have another claim, since December 2018 been waiting for them to call me and nothing and apart one call in one 2 months! Then a letter and then nothing!! Not good!!

Naturally, I want to fix my car and my insurer is awol not good and only reflective of today’s call and 1 hour plus and no reply for my commitment to talk to them not good!!

Mark May

Do Not Use Comm Insure

Our family had been with comm INSURE for 12 years and bank with commonwealth for 25 years. We had a house fire and when we made a claim we were treated guilty before proven innocent. We fought for 6 months on everything showing receipts showing pictures of our house before the fire it was a nightmare our assessor we were given was horrible sarcastic rude to us I had to give up my job of 7 years to fight what we are owed like for like for our belonging and our home it should be but unfortunately NO like for similar was what we were told by our assessor please read the fine print of your policy people or do your self a favour and just Do not use COMM INSURE. After 6 long stressful months we our back in our home and left COMM INSURE straight away to another insurer.

Type of ClaimFire
Claim DateAugust 2018

Upsold “phone insurance” on my first day in Australia 5 years ago

They upsold me home and contents insurance (and I don’t even have a home) which I thought was odd but it was my first day in Australia 5 years ago and she bent my arm to sign up.. I am aware of their strict upselling policy with auto prompts on what to sell. Fast forward 5 years and phones were no longer covered via this policy. The (rising) premium was paid in full and now they won’t pay out as they changed the PDS. WOW

Coverage TypeContents Only
Property TypeOther

Disgusting

14 yrs never made a claim , never missed a payment. Involved in the recent Victorian Bunyip State Forest Fires and what do I get when I call , No help !! Smart crap employee !! No compassion!!
Worst treatment ever received, will be cancelling all policies and moving all bank accounts and home loan
Do not insure with comminsure if you expect good customer service or any help at all !!!! They just take your money then don’t want to pay !!!

Claim MadeNo

Quick to take your money, slow to pay on any claims

Our first ever claim. The most stressful 6months of my life- 3 of which we had to move into temp accommodation each week because communication is appalling. Instead of have 1 case manager you speak to a different person in the call centre every day. Inefficient and a complete waste of money. Nearly broke our marriage and only got resolved when I lodged a formal complaint and suggested contacting the ombudsman. Pattersons Insurabuild are equally as incompetent as CommInsure. All our banking has been tied up with CBA, not for much longer. Exploring other banks

Claim DateJuly 2018

Comminsure

I would highly recommend to everyone not to get home (building) insurance will comminsure full of excuses and no answers when it comes to a claim. My family have been commonwealth customers for over 15 years not happy

Claim DateNovember 2017

Home & Contents insurance scam

Paid my premiums for years thinking I’m covered for any accidents/theft/damage that may happen to my home and contents.. First time to claim after my 4 yr old son accidentally breaks our TV, just to learn accidental damage is not covered and is an extra! What a disappointment! I’ll make sure to insure with someone else from now on!

Consumer Action Group Club

I purchased my first home in Sydney in July 1995, the Mortgage being with the Commonwealth Bank. To show good faith, I insured our home with Comminsure. To the present day, our home is still fully insured with Comminsure - a period of more than 23 years. Comminsure have always been paid on time (by direct debit). Recently (on date Thursday 20th December 2018), our home was hit badly by a Hailstorm. By date 30th December, an Insurance Assessor arrived at our home in order to verify our Claim. So far - so good. However, I have now waited one full month + 2 days for a response back from the Claims Department at Comminsure. What makes all of this much worse, is that we are left "in limbo" by Comminsure, not knowing whether our legitimate Claim is even accepted. No phone calls or emails from them to assure us at all! On the date of our 'event' (the storm damage in Bass Hill), I had to rush out to Bunnings in order to buy the largest Tarpaulin that they had. THEN (in the height of the Hailstorm) climb upon our roof to spread and tie-down the Tarp. All to minimise the internal damage to insured property, and prevent a higher Claim from happening..... At that time, I was getting a 'clobbering' on the body from superspeed large hail with Lightning added for good measure. I am over seventy years old. Now, more than a month later, the room affected by the storm presented eight (8) Roof Leaks. I spent more than two (2) hours making patches and glueing them over the holes caused by hail. The Tarpaulin is failing......I have read with interest all of the problems on this Product Review Site. I share your pain and frustration over the Comminsure very bad service. My Claim could have been dealt with speedily (less than $1K). Bet your life that someone involved in Comminsure is reading all of these reviews daily. In the Digital Age, we expect a service relating to the settling of Insurance Claims to be handled with expediency and care, but this is ONE AREA of the Digital Age that has gone backwards. In the near future, we will have a Consumer Action Group Club. Millions of Members. Boycott completely all companies - whoever they are - that take your money, and then have no mechanism to deal with the issues which relate to the 'services' that they are guilty of not providing. Thank you to everyone for taking the time to read this. Because of the procrastination by Comminsure, they will definitely lose my business over this matter. I will be contacting Budget quite soon, we have had first-class service over 20 years + from them with our cars. So why not the House Insurance as well? We badly need someone to start-up a Consumer Action Group Club. I would be happy to pay a reasonable annual Membership Fee to end this madness and deceit. Comminsure hold all the Aces. Let us collectively turn this situation around. Peter D.

Insurance claim madeYes

Insurance taken out to early

I got a cover note on com insurance on the 18th of December they have taken two payments out one on the 31dec and one on the 15 jan going to take this to the banking ombudsman this is robbery will be getting rid of these thiefs

Insurance claim madeNo