Terrible Experience with International Move from New Zealand to Australia

We had Crown Relocations move our personal effects (40ft and 20ft containers) including a motor vehicle from New Zealand to the Gold Coast.

This was our 2nd international move. We looked at other moving companies and chose Crown based on their values and insurance cover, they were not the cheapest however the Sales Consultant assured us if anything went wrong we would be looked after, unfortunately this was far from the truth.

We had issues with multiple Crown staff leaving their employment, then other Crown staff not knowing how long before our shipment would arrive. No replies to emails or phone calls, no updates and no dates for delivery which kept changing. Communication was extremely poor. The uncertainty of delivery created additional cost to our family for accommodation and car hire.

Our Crown sales consultant was no where to be seen. Quite remarkable, considering he was emailing and calling me constantly prior to signing the contract.

The whole relocation became extremely frustrating, we wrote to the Managing Director several times and he never replied. Throughout our ordeal, this became common behaviour with staff when things went wrong - no communication.

Our personal effects were damaged both in transit and onsite with one of the un-packers running a box-cutter knife through a painting. He told us to contact the office and they would assist us with repairing it.
Our claim was declined. Our beautiful baby grand piano was also damaged in transit. This was the only item approved in our insurance claim.

After 14 weeks our vehicle arrived, damaged. We took it to Volkswagen who told us the vehicle was not properly prepared for shipment and as such the battery was cooked and the climate control system was damaged. Again we contacted Crown who asked us to file a claim and they would assist. Crown refused to cover the cost of any repairs. They never offered any assistance for car rental whilst we waited 14 weeks for delivery. Our previous international carrier only took three weeks for delivery.

We put in an insurance claim and waited four weeks before anyone responded only to find that the piano would be covered. Everything else on our claim was declined despite paying insurance on the vehicle. We were also told that if we wanted to escalate we would have to go back via the New Zealand branch as Australia was not responsible. Interesting when the damages occurred in Australia and the Australian team were handling the initial insurance claim. No one wants to deal with our matter and now we wait for New Zealand to come back to us - three weeks and counting!

The cost, wasted time, inconvenience and disruption and undue stress that Crown Relocations caused to our family is so far beyond a joke, it's ridiculous.

The bottom line here, in our experience, is that Crown Relocations Australia and New Zealand do not take accountability for their lack of care to clients property and as far as we are concerned couldn't care less about the customer once they have your money.

Crown Relocations has a glossy sales pitch, but the reality is, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

An apology and review to improve your service delivery means nothing to us - the customer, especially when we have had so much incompetent service, incurred additional cost and our items are damaged.

I do not recommend Crown Relocations based on our experience.

Don't Use Crown - Trust Me I Am Nearly Broke

First things first: The packing was great. The staff that assisted us in NZ were very friendly, communicated well, listened to us and worked with us to pack. 5 stars for this. The start was great. They were quick as well.

This is my story. A snapshot of my many conversations with crown starting from NZ (Hamilton to SA, AU).
email copy:
Thanks, [name removed]

I appreciate your reply. These are my concerns:

Firstly, the payment was a hassle and we had to rush and take time out to get the papers just because [name removed] and [name removed] did not communicate. We were told by [name removed] that we could make payments upon settlement (house sale). [name removed] then gave us the notice to pay ASAP, before the house sale. That was very inconvenient, and we had to take a lot of time out and make appointments with the lawyer to get the necessary paperwork. This was a big hassle.

I have had 2 good offers from other relocators. The reason I went with Crown was that I received an email from [name removed](see below). On the telephone, [name removed] said that there was a container available and that if we packed soon, the container will leave by mid-July (I heard 6th of July). I did tell [name removed] who liaised with [name removed] and [name removed] denied this and so it's your words against mine. I had received a latter date by [name removed] , hence my inquiry. I have no need to make this up. You have messed up big time with hardly any apologies. I would have received my stuff with other providers on the 1st or 2nd week of August. This mess up is costing me a lot of money (upwards of 3000AUD more, total 7000 AUD). The total cost of shipping now is approx. 19000 NZD. I would have bought new items with that much money. I have not even included the lawyer fees.

[name removed] told us that we would get our things on the 2nd week of August at the latest. We were told that we would be taken care of and be informed. None of these has happened. We planned accordingly.

(pic of email from [name removed])

Because I am also liaising with my lawyer, could you please include the full email evidence with dates and logo (if any) of shipment change.
(I had an email snapshot with no dates and simple signature - hardly credible as per my lawyer).

Hello Sherard, we are truly sorry for this entire experience. We do our very best at Crown to improve service delivery and your comments have been taken very seriously. Your feedback has been forwarded to our New Zealand office for staff awareness to avoid this issue happening again moving forward. From all the staff here at Crown, we apologize for this experience to you and your family.Update: We were told that our shipment will be here on the 21st of August. There was a delay so the new date was 24th Aug. This is ok, things do happen. We have been trying to get an update on our shipment from a lovely lady. She has been great so far but has become silent all of a sudden. I hope she is ok. We called the Adelaide number instead but have had none to very little feedback. The Adelaide office told us that we had called the wrong place and that the number we called on was only for claims. Did not even direct us or provide us with the right number to call on. Should provide correct details on your website. I am sleeping on a mattress that I had to buy. I would have been better off with buying new stuff here in AU than shipping it with Crown relo. I have spent at least 12000 AUD above the shipping cost on accommodation and living expenses so far. It is either this or sleep on the floor. Don't use crown. It has been 9 weeks now and these guys are lying and misleading you with false promises. A two-month ordeal from when we first made contact with Crown relo.Hello Sherard. I'm sorry to hear that your calls have not been dealt with by the correct team. If you would like to contact me to discuss your concerns I will be more than happy to help. You can contact me on 02 8787 0400.

Incompetent movers

We moved a 3 br home from Melbourne to the Gold Coast. The time of the first container arriving was spot on- we thought this is great. Then we realised how incompetent the Melbourne packers had been. They managed to leave pieces from each room for the 2nd container. We couldn't cook, use the bathroom, or setup our bed. When the 2nd container arrived there was still stuff missing. We had damages, broken goods and missing pieces. In the third week we finally received some of the missing pieces. They don't care about the damage and losses but leave it for the insurance company to sort out. This is a dodgy setup and the only saving grace is that they have some nice staff who cop the blame for the incompetent parts of the organisation.

Hi Wayne, we are truly sorry for this entire experience. We do our very best at Crown to improve service delivery and your comments above have been taken very seriously. Unfortunately it has been a challenge for us on the insurance side of things as the cover was not taken through Crown, but through your service provider. We absolutely appreciate the impact that your lost items will have had on your family and your move. From all the staff here at Crown, we apologize for this unfortunate experience. Management have spoken to the packers involved in your move to ensure that the same occurrences never happen again.

Exceptional Service!

My parents moved house after 28 years in the same property which was extremely emotional for them. We engaged CROWN to pack their wordily possessions into containers as the furniture had to be in storage for a few months. From the minute I contacted CROWN via phone, on-going communication via email and when Jason and Leon arrived to pack the two x 20 foot containers their service, attention to detail and emotional support was outstanding. Again with the second move Leon and Ben also amazing and very patient with the parents needs. Thank you!!!!!

Thank you so much for your feedback Tina, our wider team is ecstatic to receive it !! Management have shared this on with the staff involved, we are so pleased to hear how satisfied you were with the service. We wish your parents the very best in their new home :)

Super easy move from NZ to Australia

I was relocating from NZ to Austrslia and needed to have my furniture and personal gears moved over. I got several Quotes and went with Crown because they seemed to be able to do the job within the timeframe I needed. Crown ensured i was involved and kept good communication about the status of my gears. I had someone in Australia to liaise with. My gears were delivered by the nicest team very professional and they made sure i was happy before leaving. The move took 6 weeks also i was able to put my gears into storage for a small charge. Would highly recommend Crown.

Thank you so much for your positive and encouraging feedback, it is really appreciated. This is exactly why our teams work so hard every day, your feedback will be shared with all involved. Wishing you the very best in your new chapter in Australia :) Regards, Crown Relocations AustraliaHi, i would not hesitate in using Crown again or in recommending.

Polished sales pitch. Poor service and accountability

We employed Crown to relocate us using a sale use 20 foot container from Nelson New Zealand to Perth Australia in early December 2018. This was not our first international move and as we employed a terrible company four years ago that split our container and then lost thousands of dollars of our belongings, we did not want a repeat performance.
Crown have a polished and professional sales pitch that promises service and accountability, sadly this stops once the contract is signed. Crown relocated our container to a wharf in New Zealand and left it there in December 2018....it is now February 2019 and we are still waiting.

The relocation staff that packed were lovely, as people on the ground generally are, the people in the office could not have been less helpful if they tried. Everything was just too much work for them and so we wait.

A company should be held accountable for the exaggerated claims they make to secure business and provide compensation to their customers that are financially penalized due to outrageous and over inflated claims of providing a quality service. We have been without household items for months including our vehicle.

Unreliable and untrustworthy

We moved interstate (3 hours away) with 2/3rds of a 5 bedroom home. We chose Crown Relocation despite their much higher quote, due to assurances they were reliable. We were told multiple trucks were always available in case of problems.
We have been in our new home for over 3 weeks and are still awaiting the last of our belongings. They damaged items and continue to change dates for delivery.
They are more expensive than many relocation companies, yet offer much less. A poorly loaded truck meant leaving part of our furniture and possessions behind, as well as breakages on the other end.
I wish I had gone with Balfran. We will not use Crown for our return home. Beware of false promises by Canberra and Sydney staff!
Also be very careful of trusting the 5 star reviews on here - many are brand new reviewers who are all located in Banyo, QLD where a Crown Relocations office is located!

Recent cross Tasman move

Recently we moved from Nelson, New Zealand to Brisbane, Queensland. The young man who did a lot of the packing was professional, easy to work with and nothing was a problem to him. The whole Nelson Team that we had contact with impressed us with genuine service. The coordinating lady at the Brisbane Depot/Office, listened carefully to our needs regarding the delivery and impressed us with genuine care for us and our circumstances and delivered on time. The Driver of the delivery truck was very helpful and also helped us with knowledge of setting up house here in Brisbane. Real genuine extra mile service. A big "thank you" to all involved. Well done CROWN.

Office LocationQLD, Brisbane
Hi Jerry, Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review - the whole team here at Crown truly appreciate it ! We will pass on your comments to all involved, this is will certainly bring joy to them. Wishing you the very best in your new chapter in Brisbane. Crown Relocations Australia

Stress Free International Relocation

I have moved twice with Crown and cannot be happier! On both occasions I have received friendly, professional and timely service. We moved a 3 bedroom household with antiques and many breakables from NZ to Sydney on our most recent move (Oct 2018). Our things arrived well protected, earlier than expected and the staff were extremely accommodating when we were unable to receive our belongings for 2 weeks. I would not hesitate to use them again or recommend them to others.

Office LocationNSW, Sydney
Thank you so much for your positive and encouraging feedback, it is really appreciated. This is exactly why our teams work so hard every day, your feedback will be shared with all involved. Here's to a great 2019, thank you for allowing Crown to be part of your Journey :) Regards, Crown Relocations Australia

Continued Excellence

We have used Crown for moves to and from Australia over the last 20 years and always select them based on continued excellent service and follow up.

Office LocationQLD, Brisbane
Hi Iana, We cant begin to express our thanks for your review. From all the team here at Crown, thank you for your ongoing confidence ! We look forward to the next opportunity servicing you again :) Regards, Crown Relocations

Amazing from start to end!!

We moved from Ireland to Australia from a 4 bed large house. It was such an easy process with Crown from the beginning to the end. Our move managers were in constant contact with us to ensure it was a smooth process, the packing team arrived on time and packed everything with extreme care and precision. Our move took 12 weeks door to door which is what one would expect so we were happy with the turnaround time. Our unpacking team arrived and were very courteous and worked to a very high standard ensuring every box was accounted for and placed where we wanted them. We can’t recommend them highly enough.

Office LocationWA, Perth
Hi Christine and thank you kindly for your feedback - its really appreciated ! It is our goal to deliver high levels of service that each customer deserves. We will pass this onto our teams who will be delighted to hear this :) Enjoy your new chapter in Australia, we look forward to the opportunity servicing you again.

Excellent service

Moved from a 4 bedroom home in Auckland NZ to Brisbane Australia. Excellent staff and nothing was too much trouble. The staff are all professional and very friendly. A special mention of the excellent and friendly service of Sharna at your Brisbane office, she is awesome. Other than a couple of things that were damaged everything went very smoothly, above our expectations. Well done Crown.

Office LocationQLD, Brisbane
Hi Athlene, thank you so much for your feedback - it is really appreciated ! We are pleased to hear your moving experience was easy and we will be sharing your feedback with both teams in NZ and QLD. We will reach out to Sharna and congratulate her on her great service. We look forward to the opportunity again in servicing in the future. :) Regards, Crown Relocations Australia

Delighted with the job Crown did

Engaged Crown to shift some of my furniture from Timaru, NZ to Melbourne and the rest of it to Invercargill. From start to finish the customer service experience was excellent. Kept informed of progress throughout the process and everything arrived in excellent condition at both locations. I received my furniture in Melbourne way sooner than I expected. A job well done Crown.

Office LocationChristchurch NZ
Thank you so much for your kind feedback CJB :) This is exactly what our team work towards and your comments have been shared with all involved. We hope you enjoy your new journey in Melbourne and hope that we can be of service to you again in the future

Never use these dodgy removalists!!!

I moved from Canberra to Brisbane with Crown Relocations with a three bedroom house and a spa needed to manage my spinal disability. It takes a truly special degree of incompetence to break as many items as Crown Relocations broke. I do not know how an organisation so lacking in competence stays in business. They broke my antique cabinet, smashing the central door with its ornate shaped mirror. They broke numerous other smaller items of value to me. They also smashed my spa beyond repair. This has had terrible consequences for me financially and physically. It will take some time for me to recover physically from the damage to my body that Crown Relocations inflicted. Thanks to their dodgy insurance arrangements I am $11,000 out of pocket and have had to take out a two year loan I can ill afford to pay for a replacement spa. Crown Relocations did not merely damage my spa. They destroyed my health and functionality for three months leaving me in unbearable physical pain. Their response when trying to resolve the dispute was appalling. Essentially they couldn't care less what damage they have inflicted and claim that all due care was taken with my items. What a furphy! Items do not end up smashed beyond repair when all due care is taken with them. If this is an example of all care being taken by Crown Relocations it is a sad indictment on its competency. People need to be warned to never use the dodgy services of Crown Relocations lest they incur serious damage.

Moved from Lockridge to Dayton

I booked an 6.5 Tonne truck for 100 per hour but an 5 Tonne truck arrived and got charged 100 per hour anyway.
This took 2 trips and 8 hours far too long.
They 2 guys were always talking and on the phone most of the time.
Will never use them again.

Office LocationWA, Perth

Efficient, but not without a glitch

We moved from London back to Sydney. Our relocation was in two parts: household items/furniture sponsored by my employer and car move privately. The first part went without a hitch. The Crown team arrived to our apartment in London in time, packed up everything quickly. They were similarly efficient in Sydney - everything was unloaded and unpacked in schedule, nothing broken or missing. They came again later to pick up empty boxes.
For the car relocation we chose a shared container. We understood that the container to fully loaded, but did nto expect that this would take this long. The car was sitting in the warehouse in London for more than a month. After this, I must say everything went smoothly. They even helped to find a service that handled registration, compliance etc.

Office LocationNSW, Sydney
Hi Volf, Thank you so much for your feedback here. We look at everyone's reviews critically to understand how well we are doing and where we can continually improve. Looking back over your file It was noted that the chosen mode of shipping was through groupage (shared). Based on this, your car was collected on 7th March around the same time as the goods but needed to wait for a container to be consolidated before being shipped, hence the delay experienced here. We were delighted to receive a positive review and we look forward to being of further assistance in the future. We wish you an enjoyable chapter here in Sydney !

Exceptionally good service

I moved from Auckland to Melbourne and Crown Relocations made it extremely easy for us to move. The items arrived on time and I couldn’t be happier with the overall service. 10/10 would recommend.

Office LocationVIC, Melbourne
Dear Sailor, On behalf of both of our origin and destination teams, thank you for taking the time to share your great experience with us and best wishes for your future in Melbourne. We look forward to the opportunity servicing you again in the future. Customer Services Crown Relocations Australia

Exceeded expectations

We didn't have a lot to move from Wellington to the Gold Coast but cannot fault the team from both sides. Fantastic customer experience.

Office LocationQLD, Brisbane
Hi Mike, Both teams are absolutely delighted with this review. Gaining feedback such as this is so important to the ongoing development and standard we try to uphold here at Crown. We hope you have a delightful time in Gold Coast and look forward to the opportunity of servicing you again soon :) Regards, Customer Services Crown Relocations Australia

Exceptional Service door to door

We had 2 moves. One from overseas for a three bedroom house and one from the storage we had left behind. The service from door to door was exceptional. On time, professional, fast and polite. The people who packed were efficient. The people who delivered the furniture assembled it effortlessly and left the place tidy and clean. Will only use Crown for any other move we have.

Office LocationNSW, Sydney
Hi Maria, thank you so much for your feedback - it is really appreciated ! We are pleased to hear your moving experiences were seamless and easy and we will be sharing your feedback with the wider business. This is exactly the type of feedback all our crews and staff work hard for :) ! We look forward to servicing you again in the future Regards, Crown Relocations Australia

Hidden Costs

So you want my opinion on our removalists?
We wanted to move a three bedroom home about an hour away. We got plenty of quotes that were all specifically insurance inclusive down to $2,500, except for the quote from Dawson removalists aka Crown ACT was not clear on this point.
We accepted the Dawson/Crown quote thinking it was insurance inclusive as we like to shop locally.
SIX weeks after the move day, the bill is debited from my account as close to $5,500 and no where near the nearly $2,000 accepted.
The main blame for my misunderstanding as pointed out to Dept. fair Trade by Crown ACT is the NBN. I was the one that did not get the revised quote which included the insurance that caused the communication breakdown. How ?? A bill starting with a 5 would have been told to go jump. A bill starting with a 2 was the front runner if it were true.
In my opinion, Be VERY careful of this scam as I have been.
I can highly recommend the boots on the ground to get the job done, once you get over the laze-fair book keeping. This has left a sour taste in my mouth and really taken the shine off our move into a dream home in a dream location.
I did not want to become the major share-holder in the company for the extra $3,500, I just needed help moving !

Office LocationQueanbeyan
Dear customer, Thank you for your feedback. We have investigated the matter with Dawson/Crown ACT to receive further detail in regard to this event. To note Crown presented you with with a quotation via email on the 5/1/18 which outlined all the charges for relocation and insurance and all details were set out in documents. You initially elected to only take the removal fee and no insurance. We then received an email from your partner stating that you would now like to take an insurance policy out with a value of the consignment. This amount was added to the clients invoice and we kept you in the loop that we had not yet charged your credit card due to an internal issue (NBN). When the card was charged we then received a complaint stating that we are not legally allowed to charge the credit card. This is incorrect as we received the credit card numbers from you to charge the card and we also we have in writing that insurance was requested on your end. As noted the quote clearly outlines all details regarding insurance and we also have in writing from Wayne to the client stating that if he has any questions regarding insurance please contact Wayne. You proceeded to reported the matter to Fair Trading and Fair Trading has contacted Wayne. The Fair Trading inquiry proceeded and at this stage Fair trading state we have correctly dealt with the matter. We are a ethically and morally centered business and we do not tolerate immoral acts such as the ones we are being accused of here. As a business we do not tolerate deceitful acts/spams, and our valued client base can vouch for that. In line with Fair Trading's review, we have acted fair and reasonably in this regard.