D-Link AC1750 DSL-2890AL

D-Link AC1750 DSL-2890AL

MPN: 35905112

Great!

Great value for money. We had terrible issues with our previous router, this one has given us 0 problems! It just works. The Wifi range is good. We never turn it off and it has lived in the hot outback weather without overheating or any issues like that.

My only complaint: My husband purchased it in red.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Easy to setup and good design

Got it at a bargain so was a good value for money. Good for normal users to setup and forget. Advanced users will be disappointed with the modem's management GUI. Designed to look a lot like Amazon echo and does a fairly decent job. Getting the latest firmware from Dlink site required a bit of searching and wasn't straight forward.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Good wireless coverage and never needs to be restarted

I've owned this router for about 4 years now and I can't recall ever having to restart it in order to fix an issue. I also cannot recall having any serious issues with it. The only issue would be to try configure QOS so that multiple devices that are all uploading a little do not overly saturate the uplink so that the downlink fails to function at a reasonable speed. This is a scenario specific issue though and not something that should be avoided by the routers default configuration.

I've had a number of different devices connected to it wirelessly and wired and it seems very capable of sharing the internet and local network bandwidth among those devices. The software on the router allows users to configure most of the standard and advanced settings you would want such as QOS, Port Forwarding, Guest Zone etc

The device is always on and has been able to withstand days where the temperature was high 30's outside and low 30's inside.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

good

very good. the wifi range is good goes far. sleek design . easy to set up . mutli tasking modem . was $400 and bought it for $200 from bing lee . what a bargain! got a good brand modem for cheap . latest model. looks like a stylish speaker.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Good product. Perfect for any home.

The range on this modem is really good, can reach from one side of the house to the other without the issue. This modem was really easy to set up, just a plug in pretty much. The LEDs on the modem itself makes it really easy to tell you what is on and off while at the same time looking stylish.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

It does the job and that's pretty much it

Bought this to replace the provided TPG modem with the hopes that it would give me better range and internet speed. Unfortunately the improvements were very minor. Basically, I got about a 10% improvement for both speed and range.

Its very easy to setup. Interface is easy to use. Has stable connection, however, once in a while (maybe twice a week) I have to reset it due to spiky internet. It really depends on how many people use the internet. Also, the connection for the external HDD is mediocre to say the least. By that I mean the connection is stable but the copying and pasting files speeds are pretty rubbish (1GB file would take like 20-30 minutes).

So in summary, the product does it job. But honestly, it's like any other generic modem/router. It does a satisfactory job.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Expensive but very worthy of the price

Prior to using this modem there was always a dead spot in terms of wifi range. The overall range was also quite small and only one frequency available. However, these problems was resolved the minute I changed to this router. The improvement was very apparent cause the dead spot had disappeared and I could even connect to the internet outside of the house.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

wireless works okay most of the time - and that eventually becomes annoying

I originally had this modem in mid 2014 for a smaller 2 bedroom apartment in a multi-level complex and thought the thick walls were why i wasn't getting decent signal strength. i have since moved three times and the 5Ghz band suffers decent signal drop off, even with what could be considered unobstructed, even somewhat shorter distances AND good router placement. Pumping up the signal strength didn't seem to work either.
Then the wifi reliability issues come into it. My AC wireless devices would say that the 5Ghz band doesn't have external internet - even when router lights say it does and the 2.4Ghz band is still performing well (and has internet). I would have to switch my devices over to the 2.4Ghz band and try and switch back later and restarting the router didn't really help the issue. The 2.4Ghz band actually does perform ok, until you try streaming video from a NAS (hooked up via LAN) and you get a frustrating glitching stop start experience. but for what you pay for this device, there have to be better and faster 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless routers that perform better for the price range. But the lack of reliability becomes incredibly annoying if you're doing streaming or larger data transfers via wifi. All up it makes the DSL-2890AL one that I would stay away from if I was doing my homework about buying.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Great value Modem/Router

My old (cheap) modem died after 4 years & as I now have 6 WiFi devices I decided to spend a bit more. I was surprised at the high cost of many in this (AC1750) range. It was dead simple to set up even over WiFi with the wizard software suggesting the easiest process. 4 gigabit ethernet ports and 2.4 Ghz (450 Mbps) & 5.0 Ghz (1300 Mbps) WiFi bands. WiFi works throughout our single level 220 sq metre home plus out on the back patio & garden. It also has a USB2 & a USB3 port. I have not used these yet or the guest WiFi though I have it configured.

The round tower shape with LEDs arranged vertically on the front has a small footprint & is easy to check the operating status & the WPS button is on the front & flashes when pressed looking for a device. It also hides the 6 antennas inside the cylinder rather than look like an ugly upside down spider like many WiFi Modem/Routers.

The RRP was $330.00 & as it has now been superseded I got it for $128.00 at Harvey Norman, easily the cheapest & best value of anything else with similar specs.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Easy, reliable and good coverage

We have had this modem for a couple of years now and cannot fault the reliablity of the product. Signal strength is the best we have found to cover our large home and cater for sometimes 8+ wifi connections. Easy on/off button and simple light display help even the least tech savy in our household to use.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Good design and signal

Good strength signal throughout our whole home.Took a short time to set up, the majority of the issues we had appeared to be with the associated gadgets as opposed to with the modem. Simple to state this now however at the time it was difficult to figure out what was causing the availability issues.

Excellent NBN modem

This modem started out in life as an ADSL modem with NBN capabilities. When NBN was installed at my residence it was a simple and easy matter of converting one of he LAN ports to act as a WAN port for the NBN service. The modem provides me with a 1 gigabit connection hard wired via Ethernet and has a whopping 1750mbps wifi speed which I find impressive and due to the many devices that we use on wifi, I have had no issues with starvation for service on any. It comes with 2 wifi speeds of 2,4 gig and 5 gig and the interface setup is very easy. I highly recommend this modem router if you have the NBN box at your residence but it is no good is you are connected FTTM (fibre to the node) or VDSL.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

reliable workhorse

This is older model now, but because of that is a genuine bargain for ADSL connections. My first one was damaged by lightning strike (I live in a country area). As I rely on Internet I recently bought two DSL-2890AL modems, configured them identically and thus have a spare one. Yes, one can buy more fancy modems in 2017, but this one simply works day after day with no issues whatsoever. Vertical, tower design cools electronics better than more common flat box designs which tend to pack electronics in a small box, and modems always run hot. connect and forget type of box.

Lag issues

Stayed with Dlink due to their REALLY GREAT support team.
However I have had to have this unit reset at least twice.
I have some latancy issues, or lag issues. ie when opening up new tags there can be a delay. Watching utube can be a pain.
NB new cat 5 wiring, wall sockets, and computers. Have also had issues with opus servers.
Fortunately I do not play games.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Works great can't complain

Amazing, this is probably the best modem/router i ever bought after my previous router (BILLION failed after a year).
Runs 24/7 since i bought it and has been reliable since.
Maybe the only thing that could be improved is to have more USB Ports as I like to use my USB to share content around the house.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Ok

Not sure if it is the area that keeps losing signal as Telstra always get me to configure this and that and it still doesn't work. Some days internet is great and reception is good, other days the modem flashes and wifi is hit and miss. Quite expensive to purchase.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

awesome!!

as we have a 4g wireless modem that has to be outside to get reception, this range extender has been fantastic. We can now use our internet all through the house. I handles 4 kids constantly streaming you tube and also our 4k tv streaming netflix. great product totally worth it

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Stable Modem Router, Never need to reboot

One the top line of D-Link, bought from WIreless 1 when they had promotion, too good to pass the deal.
The modem router looks good, the WIFI coverage is excellent. Been stable is the main thing, never needs to reboot it . Been using D-Link for more than a decade, trust their stuff!

Date PurchasedNov 2014

Fast, easy set up, but advanced options can be confusing

I got this modem router when changing ISPs, and I didn't want the cheap modems that come bundled with internet plans. I wanted a fast, dual band modem router, with NBN support (to avoid having to buy a new modem when NBN eventually makes its way to my suburb), and good range to cover entire home. This was the one I picked, and it's been working perfectly 99% of the time.
Pros: easy set up, fast dual band, streaming of multiple full HD videos around the house to different devices without lag, built in media server very simple and useful to stream movies to smart TV (just be plugging in a hard drive directly into the modem router)
Cons: some advanced settings such as mapping connected hard drives as network drives to PC, changing media centre options on web interface can also be confusing

Date PurchasedNov 2016

It serves its purpose

It was relatively expensive, and takes quite a while to start up when initially turning it on, but it works well. Internet connection only drops out occasionally and delivers fast internet connection. However, price is an important factor to consider, and it may be worthwhile exploring other products on the market.

Date PurchasedMay 2017