D-Link Python AC1600 DSL-2888A

D-Link Python AC1600 DSL-2888A

MPN: DSL-2888A
See the Best Modems in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for D-Link? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Number of Connected Devices 7.222 devices
  • Ease of Setup
  • Reliability
  • Wi-Fi Range
Gbanger
GbangerCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

The worst modem you could ever purchase.

Purchased this product and told by salesperson that the range would be better than the modem Dodo provided. It is not. The so called crappy Dodo modem gave me signal in the back yard with this one it's gone. Thie range for this item is around 5 metres. The modem was placed in the exact same spot. I would NOT recommend this product to anyone.
Update. It's worse than I thought had to reconnect old modem to get a reliable connection to all devices. Feel free to message me for more info. Do NOT waste your money on this product.
Another update. Even with a booster it does not work properly. Its best function is being put in the bin. Total rubbish.

Purchased in December 2021.

Owen
OwenSydney, NSW

Not bad ...it performs well -

Easy to install Customer Service far better than Netgear .... no problem hooking up with my Netgear extender 6110 .... no drop-outs this far , albeit it can only put out what it gets delivered and in Sydney peak-hour has effects..

Purchased in September 2021.

Ferenc
FerencSouth East Queensland, QLD

Was excellent for 2 years...

then it needed rebooting every other day, then no 5gHz, so I reset. Only needs rebooting once a week now, but still no 5gHz available. Glad for 3 year warranty

Purchased in March 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $179.

RossEd
RossEdGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Ok, but struggled with lots of devices

Had this router for a couple of years and it was ok with reasonable performance and coverage, until I got to around 20+ devices, then it struggled. I also had ongoing issues managing DHCP reservation - would show inaccurate readings. Rang support who suggested clearing caches, browsers, restarting etc - none of which helped. Eventually got it replaced but the replacement had exactly the same problems. Ended up going with Google Nest Wifi which has been more stable and manages 40+ connections no problem.

Purchased in February 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores.

Find out how D-Link Python AC1600 DSL-2888A compares to other Modems

Great for general use, avoid for VPN.

This is a wonderful unit for general household use, it has amazing range and performs quite well with approx 10 devices connected at any one time.

The biggest issue was with VPN setup. It will not connect to a VPN for business needs, as such the unit is completely obsolete. Support will not help, they have no clue what is going on. Avoid this.

Blender man
Blender manSydney

Not a quality product.

It is easy to install. Worked for 6 months then could no longer sync with the nbn. This is my second one after the first one failed. Not a quality product.

Purchased in February 2019 at JB Hifi Home.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
Ramajan
RamajanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Purchased for 5Ghz, constantly drops out

I have had so many issues with this. When I first got it, I had issues printing from my printer on 2.4Ghz if my computer was on 5Ghz. I upgraded the firmware because I was having issues where the 5Ghz network would just drop out and I would have to restart the router to get it going again. After the firmware upgrade same thing. It makes it unsable. Especially as I have a Foxtel Now box so I hardly bother using the 5Ghz at all. I can be using the internet and all 5Ghz devices just drop out and says No internet the 2.4Ghz devices keep going. I wish I had purchased something else.

Purchased in December 2018 for $179.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

Clara V.14 Feb 2022
naks
naksSydney, NSW

Needs reboot once a week. People on 5G can't connect to people on 2.4G

I've been on latest firmware for about a year (AU_2.12). Needs reboots often. Dies if you have too many connections open. People on the 5G wireless can't connect to people on the 2.4G connection. Would not recommend.

Purchased in June 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $249.

Kamal E.
Kamal E.

very pleased

I bought this for ADSL but knowing that I will be changing over to FTTC NBN and I am very happy with it. My WIFI has been rock solid with multiple of hungry devices. The speeds are excellent over wifi and the coverage is also good. The setup experience was the one easiest by far. never had a problem using it. highly recommended.

Purchased in October 2018 at Centre Com for $179.

RaymondSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good value router suits a mid size house

Has the power to run my automated house. I have 21 devices connected to wifi.
Great for a small to medium size house, if you have large house pay the extra for a cobra or a mesh system.
If you have HFC nbn it may be a little difficult to find ethernet over wan in the interface to set it up. Dlink has an excellent phone help to guide you through it, but know the isp settings before you call.
This router does not have voip. So there is no where to plug a phone in. The phone line and splitter in the box are for adsl not vdsl.

Purchased in May 2019 at Harvey Norman for $218.

Lynton A.
Lynton A.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great modem

Great modem, currently stream to the lounge tv and the bedroom tv and a phone comfortably at the same time, no drop outs.
This is our second D link modem I have used 3 other different makes over time.
Well worth a look.

Purchased in December 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $155.

Mark w
Mark wHunter Region, NSW

No phone with nbn

Have just connected to the nbn. Bought a dsl-2888a modem thinking this will do. WRONG. Modem works but not the phone. Even with the splitter they supplied. Won’t work on nbn wast of money.not made for boath phone and internet.

Purchased in January 2019 for $160.

Michael
MichaelSydney

An Ok Router

It's a pretty ok router, kinda annoying to setup with nbn but eventually after an hour something i got it running.

The wifi slowly started dying and slowing down only after 2 weeks, now the wifi can barely work from a 5 meter distance. And don't even try going to a bedroom 12 meters away unless you don't want to have wifi, the only thing on this router that is kinda reliable is the ethernet connection.
This is my second d-link python and it had the exact problems as my first one and will probably die and il have to replace it.

If you have good money, just buy a router that costs more than 350$ if you have more than 3 people in the house, anything bellow this is trash that dies between 6-12 months

Date PurchasedAug 2000
Carly
CarlySouthwest, VIC

Our Python is great. Set up was incredibly easy. In two months it has dropped out once. The signal is strong - it works on our street. We have NBN and the speed is excellent. Usually there is two of us using the internet at the same time; watching netflix or surfing. It looks good. I would highly recommend it.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Piper
PiperInvergowrie

Awesome price

I love this router. For the price, performance, and range I doubt you can find a better router. I was extremely hesitant on purchasing a new router because our old Netgear from 10 years ago was working just fine but once I hooked this beast up... I realized how far behind we were. Installation was easy enough. Just follow the simple instructions and you are good to go.

Date PurchasedJune 2018