Defence Health Health Insurance

• 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (6) · No (3)
Tracey

TraceyAU

Just Another Health Fund Taking Two Bites Of The Cherry

Anne E.

Anne E.

Ex service member ripped off

Husband serviced 36 years in army and I was a top cover member all that time with defence health the servicewas always really good. Once he discharged we where just kicked to the gutter, policy more than doubled and absolutely no loyalty for being a member for 36 years. I was so shocked.
Navy health have provided us a far superior service.
No support for ex service member or family. Shame on you defence health

Zero compassion

Signed up and paid the annual fee. I purchased physio 12 hours before the cool-off period. It was sent to a Team leader and their decision was not to provide support.

I'v since spoken with two other health agencies who said this would have been covered.

I will be sure to remember the courtesy given come renewel time.

Keep away!! Don't be fooled by the term 'Defence' they don't give two crap. 12 hours trumps 12 years service.

You've been warned.

Linda T.

Linda T.South East Queensland, QLD

Great Health Insurance

Great extras coverage and I havent had any issues with any of my hospital claims, Im on top hosptial cover with no excess and I have not had any gap fees in any of my admissions thus far.

Tom S

Tom SPeel, WA

Will Not Help You Out

Took out a travel insurance policy for their "cancel for any reason" cover. This is not an accurate description as I won't be seeing one cent back from them whe trying to claim for a wedding cancellation.

I took this cover well before Covid - 19 was declared and they will not help me in any way.

Would not recommend this group to any person what so ever.

Defence Health Travel Insurance

Defence travel insurance policy was ok value for money and I guess I wanted to show loyalty to Defence Health because we have been with them for over 25 years.... not anymore.

I cancelled our travel insurance in mid Mar and before the official travel ban for COVID was in force, and still haven’t received our refund.

I find this unacceptable and I’m disappointed with their processes.

Rob B.

Rob B.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Is this the worst health insurer?

Really bad service. Different answers from each rep, no clear management levels, avoidance of claims due to fine print conditions or no proper explanation and very expensive. Level of cover seems to keep shrinking like dental, optical, podiatry to name a few. Better value elsewhere.

Luke

LukeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Defence Health Travel Insurance

JMO

JMOGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

The good and the bad

I have been a member of Defence Health for many years and unfortunately, while its still a good and reputable organisation, the service level has become very unsatisfactory. Make a call and you wait at least 30 minutes, and typically give up; send an email, and you might get an answer in a week; try using the Mobile Claims App... simple to use, it just doesn't work as it never uploads the photographed claim. It's a shame that the service has deteriorated even faster than the premiums go up.

Claim MadeYes

Beta

BetaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Benefits have been cut

I was originally with defence health and switched over to Navy Health because Defence health decided to cut their benefits to members on extras. Its because they were losing money. Thank God Navy Health does not do that.
If you do your research, the extras on Navy Health benefits are higher than defence. And also compare the premiums. You can see the difference.

sam

samSouth East Queensland, QLD

If I could give them 10 out of 5 I would!!!

We switched to Defence Health from another really big company only 6 months before my husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. Defence Health NEVER faltered... they paid out literally almost one hundred thousand dollars in hospital care, and fees, and incidentals, and God knows what else little fees pop up . They never questioned anything. They had his back all the way.
LOYALTY> has no price at the time like this.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being caring and being so easy to deal with.
He is now in REMISSION, thank

HEN1_81

HEN1_81Sydney, NSW

Not as cheap as the bigger funds

After comparing insurers, I found Defence Health to be no cheaper than other funds. Claims took ages to process, and benefits constantly reduced dsch year. I switched funds to save my family money.

Abbey M

Abbey MCanberra 2600, ACT

Been a member since I was a kid

I've been a member of Defence Health since I was a kid on my parent's cover (dad was in the Navy). I took out my own cover when I moved out of home and I've never had a problem. They pay my claims quickly and when I've compared them to other funds in the past, they are the best value for money. Wouldn't be without them!

Leah

LeahDarling Downs, QLD

Fantastic Private Health Insurance

Defence Health is fantastic value for money. Their claims process through their app is so quick and easy. Their staff are very friendly and helpful via telephone. The process to add a new member to the policy was very quick and easy.

Chris89

Chris89Perth, WA

Great level of cover

Due to my brother being a serving member of the ADF, i qualified as a relative with Defence Health.

Have been a member for 3 years now, currently on the Top hospital + Premium Extras package. Could not be happier with the level of service or the updated flexi limits extras. Highly recommend to any ADF personnel or their family!

Dane D

Dane DMelbourne

Non-for-profit and great customer service

I've been with them for 1 year by myself, and they covered me when I had to go to hospital for a treatment. afterwards I wanted to downgrade my plan cause it was too expensive, they said it was fine - but then I got sick again and had to visit hospital. Now I have less cover, and have to pay more right? Wrong! I call them again and ask if I can go back to old plan because of this unpredicted event. They say its fine because it's within 30 days of changing. Good people, good insurance

Dawn

DawnMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great Health Fund

I have been with Defence Health For 27 years and in that time our kids have grown up and are members also. I can't recommend them enough. Every claim we have submitted has been dealt with and we haven't had to worry about anything. I do believe that there is no other Health fund out there that can compare to what they offer for your money.

JZ66

JZ66VIC, 3055

I have been with Defence Health as a non-serving member for years. They have always been prompt with payment of claims and have provided knowledgeable assistance by phone. I cannot really fault. They are excellent also in that when I have purchased travel insurance for overseas, through another provider, they have put my monthly payments for health insurance cover on hold until my return from overseas and me providing all my boarding passes to/from destination. This has stopped me double paying for health insurance cover during my holiday periods.

I don't know much about their travel insurance cover and service so would like to see more reviews specifically here about that service if you've had to claim or make contact.

JazzyJ

JazzyJ

Who knew health insurance could be pain free?

After 8 years another private health fund, where premiums climbed and service became non-existent, I shopped around and found I was eligible for Defence Health as my dear old grandfather had served. Once I had his service number, signing up was no problem, and since then I have been pleased with the service, speed of payment and benefits offered. Defence Health are transparent about what will they pay, upfront - no guessing! The best part for me is that I don't have to think about health insurance anymore, it just takes care of itself.

Janelle

JanelleBrisbane

Fabulous Customer Service

Called earlier this evening to see if I was covered for certain things. The lady who helped me was fabulous. Was friendly and patient and personable...waiting for me to get myself organized, knew when I was flustered and put me at ease. She even called me back to make sure I was completely aware of everything I needed to know. Cannot recommend then highly enough.

Ant

Antasked

I have a grand son in the reserves and a son in law who was in the special forces in the army can l get defence health cover?

Robasked

We are the parents of a long serving member of the RAAF and our young granddaughter is about to go into the Army. As a parent and grand parent would we be entitled to join this health service?

Janine

If you check their web site, you should be. It asks you as to whether you’re a relative. https://www.defencehealth.com.au/health-insurance-for-defence-connections/join-now/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_LzT7YL32gIVjAsrCh003w5eEAAYAiAAEgL4Z_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

cavok76

You would be entitled from what I see. There is new category for currently serving members as well. Check with them by phone. They have excellent phone support.

Rob

Many thanks for your response. Yes, I have been on the phone to Defence Health and I am now a new member as of yesterday.
Regards

WENDY

WENDYasked

Hello can people join if their father army (dec) or sister (raaf) former grandfater anzac someone told me I could be. Or is it on current/ex defence? Thank you wendy

Janine

Yes. Contact Defence Health over the phone and they will ask you a few questions.

cavok76

Yes you can. They do have two categories now, currently serving and not. Contact them direct, they are very good.

Karen
Karen

I believe you can as my daughter both have health cover with Def Health and their father and I are ex-servicing member

CategoryHealth Insurance