Defence Health Health Insurance

Defence Health Health Insurance

See the Best Health Insurance in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Defence Health

3.1
  • Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (5)
    • 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
    • 1-2 months (2)
    • 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (7) · No (3)
Andrew
AndrewCanberra

Defence Health Do Not Support Nor Care for the Veterans

Reducing dental benefits yet again and increasing premiums at the next opportunity. This organisation is the lowest of the low in looking after its paying ex-service people. It is just a typical profit oriented business. They rather increase their investments to over $0.5 billion than provide decent benefits to their veterans.
Went to OPSM today to get new lenses. Because i am with Defence Health, there are no discounts. If i were with Navy Health, i would have received a 20% discount. Another reason to leave this appalling health fund!

Greg M.
Greg M.South East Queensland, QLD

Stay away from DSH Insurance

I am a ex serving member I changed insurance companies last year believing I was getting a better deal, ha ha I got conned. DSH staff are the same as DVA, clerks without knowledge of acute military illnesses and how ceiling mould can worsen acute respiratory illnesses and asthma, they expected me to sit in my electric recliner to sleep, nightly. The ceiling mould was from storms in SE Queensland recently, the DVA RAP supplied hospital bed was in the bedroom where the ceiling mould was growing, DSH staff member said well only homes that were flooded get priority, you have low priority for repair. Don't entertain taking insurance with DSH if you have a major disability as they lack empathy.

Horrendous experience

The most awful experience and caused us nothing but problems, they reject everything straight away and you have to fight them in the ombudsman every single time (surprise they’re in the wrong) impossible to deal with on the phone, constantly promised calls back with a qualified person but you never hear from them then they promise to call in another weeks time.

I had to spend a whole day away from my breastfed newborn collecting paperwork from 3 hospitals and 4 gps, all of which said the paperwork I was providing to them was very unethical and warned me to leave them.

Don’t walk, run!!!!

Robert
RobertCanberra Central 2601, ACT

Generally lower dental extras coverage than other funds

Compare Item 965 (Occlusal Splint) coverage with other health funds.
Defence Health covers "up to" $300, but Bupa covers up to $750.
Most funds usually cover at least $450 or more.

Terrible customer service

Airmann1
Airmann1

Great Customer Service

Dale D.
Dale D.Canberra 2600, ACT

Doesn't really look after ex-defence

Paying $150+/mth and only receiving $20 back for a $120 appointment. Not worth the money.
I recently found out that unless you are actually in the Australian Defence Force it isn't really beneficial as there are tiers once you leave and the rate skyrockets.

Super Funds Awards 2022!

TraceyAU

Just Another Health Fund Taking Two Bites Of The Cherry

Anne E.
Anne E.

Ex service member ripped off

Husband serviced 36 years in army and I was a top cover member all that time with defence health the servicewas always really good. Once he discharged we where just kicked to the gutter, policy more than doubled and absolutely no loyalty for being a member for 36 years. I was so shocked.
Navy health have provided us a far superior service.
No support for ex service member or family. Shame on you defence health

Zero compassion

Signed up and paid the annual fee. I purchased physio 12 hours before the cool-off period. It was sent to a Team leader and their decision was not to provide support.

I'v since spoken with two other health agencies who said this would have been covered.

I will be sure to remember the courtesy given come renewel time.

Keep away!! Don't be fooled by the term 'Defence' they don't give two crap. 12 hours trumps 12 years service.

You've been warned.

Linda T.
Linda T.South East Queensland, QLD

Great Health Insurance

Great extras coverage and I havent had any issues with any of my hospital claims, Im on top hosptial cover with no excess and I have not had any gap fees in any of my admissions thus far.

Tom S
Tom SPeel, WA

Will Not Help You Out

Took out a travel insurance policy for their "cancel for any reason" cover. This is not an accurate description as I won't be seeing one cent back from them whe trying to claim for a wedding cancellation.

I took this cover well before Covid - 19 was declared and they will not help me in any way.

Would not recommend this group to any person what so ever.

Defence Health Travel Insurance

Defence travel insurance policy was ok value for money and I guess I wanted to show loyalty to Defence Health because we have been with them for over 25 years.... not anymore.

I cancelled our travel insurance in mid Mar and before the official travel ban for COVID was in force, and still haven’t received our refund.

I find this unacceptable and I’m disappointed with their processes.

Rob B.
Rob B.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Is this the worst health insurer?

Really bad service. Different answers from each rep, no clear management levels, avoidance of claims due to fine print conditions or no proper explanation and very expensive. Level of cover seems to keep shrinking like dental, optical, podiatry to name a few. Better value elsewhere.

Luke
LukeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Defence Health Travel Insurance

Ant
Antasked

I have a grand son in the reserves and a son in law who was in the special forces in the army can l get defence health cover?

Robasked

We are the parents of a long serving member of the RAAF and our young granddaughter is about to go into the Army. As a parent and grand parent would we be entitled to join this health service?

Janine

If you check their web site, you should be. It asks you as to whether you’re a relative. https://www.defencehealth.com.au/health-insurance-for-defence-connections/join-now/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_LzT7YL32gIVjAsrCh003w5eEAAYAiAAEgL4Z_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

cavok76

You would be entitled from what I see. There is new category for currently serving members as well. Check with them by phone. They have excellent phone support.

Rob

Many thanks for your response. Yes, I have been on the phone to Defence Health and I am now a new member as of yesterday.
Regards

WENDY
WENDYasked

Hello can people join if their father army (dec) or sister (raaf) former grandfater anzac someone told me I could be. Or is it on current/ex defence? Thank you wendy

Janine

Yes. Contact Defence Health over the phone and they will ask you a few questions.

cavok76

Yes you can. They do have two categories now, currently serving and not. Contact them direct, they are very good.

Karen
Karen

I believe you can as my daughter both have health cover with Def Health and their father and I are ex-servicing member

Get an answer from our members and Defence Health representatives