Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo

Dermcare-Vet Malaseb Medicated Shampoo Questions & Answers

28 questions from our users

Norah S.

Norah S.asked

Does Malaseb shampoo strip the dogs coat of flea products?

Sharna-lee K.

Sharna-lee K.asked

My cats licking herself after being bathed with the shampoo. I hopefully rinsed it quite thouroughly but could there be an effect is for some reason I didn’t I’m very worried just in case

Angela P.

Angela P.asked

Can malaseb be used to wash my dog on a monthly basis , and is it ok for there coat.

Devil

I haven't used this for years because I found it to be a waste of money, smells digusting & really dried out coats on the dogs I tried it on. I've found having a great homeopathic vet is far more cost effective & much better for my dogs health than using any of these types of products especially for skin issues. I now have 4 dogs & the only chemical products I use are heartworm & regular worming tablets.

Jodes

Jodesasked

Is Malaseb ok to use on an open cut?

Devil

Check with your vet but I don't think it would be.

GianMario G.

GianMario G.asked

Is maladabe shampoo effective against mange?

Kevin Blaney

It's more of a supplementary treatment. You need something like ivomec/ivomectin to treat the infestation. Once that is in place you can look at malaseb bathing.

Dee

Deeasked

After washing my dog today with this shampoo his both eyes are red and swollen.. pls any help?

Devil

Take him to the vet. Eye problems will cost more the worse they get. This is a chemical filled shampoo & should never be used anywhere near eyes.

Barry

Seek veterinarian help immediately with this as Malaseb should never be used around the face or eye area.

Denise S.
Denise S.

I agree and can you believe it states on the bottle to rub on around the lips !!! They can get breathing problems. If they lick it they can die. It must never be put anywhere on the face!!!!

Suzan M

Suzan Masked

Can I use this shampoo on my 2 months kittens?

Barry

I personally have only used Malaseb for dogs, however the product information on the bottle states it is for dogs and cats. I would be checking with a vet to determine if it is safe for 2 month old kittens. Avoiding the face area is advisable when washing animals and wrapping in a towel to stop licking 9and ingesting) the malaseb prior to rinsing it off the coat as it needs to be left on for 10 minutes to be effective.

Devil

You should be looking for a good vet if you have 2 month old kittens with skin issues. I wouldn't use this on my dogs ever as I've found in the past it is an expensive waste of money. Google homeopathic vets in your area. Find one with good reviews or ask pet owners you know if they can recommend someone.

Kevin Blaney

I’m not sure. See your vet

Timsmokie

Timsmokieasked

What is the difference between the two shampoos? Would it make any different just using the med shampoo?

Kevin Blaney

I only mentioned one shampoo

Evy K

Evy Kasked

Hi, I have bathe my 8 months kitten with human shampoo and later I found out that I shouldn't use it for cats..The scent is strong and he has sneezed too..I have never seen him sneezing...He just licks himself for quite long...I am terrified as something wrong will happen! What do I do?

Barry

I'm sorry I am not a vet, perhaps you would be better asking a professional person about your cat. I have never bathed my cats.

Kevin Blaney

I’m sorry I’m not a vet either.

Kwc
Kwc

This product was recommended to me for a kitten with ringworm. I had no problem with it. But leave on for10 mins and wrap in towel whilst u wait so cat cannot lick it then rinse well

Roy

Royasked

Can I use malaseb shampoo on my 4 month old beagle puppy?

Loufred

Loufredasked

I have unsold Pyohex shampoo and conditioner that is passed its expiry date,
Is it still good and can I still sell it?
Louise

Marwaasked

I bathed my kitten with malaseb as directed by her vet as he has ringworm, now he's sneezing and not feeling well and as if he trembles from time to another and sometimes I feel he wants to throw out but he does not..any advice ?

iamagirl69

You need to take your kitten back to your vet (or any vet) immediately. You made the solution too strong and you have poisoned your kitten. Malaseb acts as a neurotoxin and the reason your kitten is trembling is because the chemical is affecting your kittens nerves and brain. If you do not take your kttien to the vet (or any vet) immediately there is a very strong chance that your kitten will die! Your kitten needs urgent medical treatment! Ring an after hours vet and tell them what you have done and they will know what treatment to prescribe. If you wait, chances are your kitten will die. I am flabbergasted that ANY vet would recommend that you wash a Kitten in this chemical. The other brand name for Malaseb is AGENT ORANGE!!!! (yes it is the same chemical that the US used in Vietnam) Do not hesitate!!! Take your kitten straight to a VET NOW!

Marwa

Thanks a lot for your reply. Actually that's what I did. I took him to the vet and she said he has a sore throat as he might have inhaled some of the shampoo. He was kept one day in the clinic for treatment and now He is quite well after having his last dose of antibiotic. I do not understand how vets would recommend such a fatal medication to kittens. I will never use it again.

Jo Blogger
Jo Blogger

I’m glad your kitten is better.
Vets do give incorrect advise from time to time.
Many kittens have died using this stuff kitten owners are saying.
I have a retriever and I find the best advice on the retriever website when I’m in need..
Maybe there a kitten club you can get advice from?

Sandy LC

Sandy LCasked

I have a 13 weeks old Westie with what appears to be a yeast infection. Can Malaseb medicated wash be used on her?

iamagirl69

I don't know this one? I suggest you take your dog to a vet. The Green Cross vets are quite cheap. If you google Green Cross Vets, you will find a Green Cross Vet in your location. Good luck.

Suzie

Suzieasked

Do I have to thoroughly rinse Malaseb off?? My dog constantly licks his paws so it's just his feet I need to treat

Janet

Yes must be rinsed off as the ingredients are not safe for ingestion if your pet is a licker. All shampoos should be rinsed off and particularly salicylic acid as it softens (dissolves) top layer of skin to enable anti bac/antifungal components to work. Malaseb is a great product if used as directed & for the right skin conditions.

Henry

Henryasked

My westie starts scratching right after shower with malaseb ( direct apply on to skin with 10 minutes of masarge as mentioned in the description) . Here are possible solutions that i came up with
1. Apply Tree or olive oil with malaseb
2. mix malaseb with water as mentioned in one of the review " 1 to 10 parts of water"
any suggestions?

Janet

It is for bacterial & fungal conditions not allergic dermatitis/eczema caused by other irritants so a Vet may be able to identify a cause. If skin is very tender use 1 to 10 Malaseb to water premixed in a bucket to bathe your dog. Full strength Malaseb applied direct to inflamed sore skin will cause further skin irritation even if you do massage in with water. If mixed with oil containing products the active ingredient efficacy will be reduced so you will be wasting your money & not helping your dog. You could however apply a coat conditioner e.g Pyohex after bathing in Malaseb.

Mrs Smithasked

I was keen to know if malaseb wash has a strong smell?.

Bob
Bob

No worse than any other medicated animal shampoo, However after the dog dries off he should have no smell to a light pleasant smell. Be sure to ware gloves when applying.

Jimmy
Jimmy

No unpleasant chemical or perfumed smell that I can notice. Even if it did I'd still use it because it's done wonders for my dogs skin.

Mrs Smith

I asked because I bought it off a lady after her dog died and I was surprised it was mild smelling when as a child I can remember SOMETHING having a strong smell. I was interested what was in that bottle. I can never leave it on a cat very long unfortunately and for whatever reason my results are limited. Those answers have calmed my concerns greatly though.

Lori Haskett

Lori Haskettasked

Will Malaseb shampoo affect topical flea products?

Jillian Walker

Yes it can so it would be better to apply the dermcare first then the flea product making sure you thoroughly dry the animal before using flea treatment and every 3 to 2 weeks depending on the flea infestation of the animal.

Jazasked

Has anyone used coconut oil with this product to help sooth?

My dogs layers of scaly skin has fallen off and she looks really pink and raw

anna 2016

It sounds like she has had a severe allergic reaction to whatever you have used. She needs to go to the vet immediately, it would be like a burn. The only thing i wash my dogs in now is bath oil, yes the one you get from the chemist. Fill the trough up and pour some of it into the water, you don't need to rinse it off, but be sure not to get it inot their eyes. She must be suffering something terrible, i beg you please get her to a vet.

Jaz

She has/had a fungal infection on her skin, the skin was already very flaky and scaly and almost grey, that is the skin that came away with the treatment shampoo. I originally though she had alopecia x I still some what believe this due to the area affected being completely contained to the area on her rump she was shaved for surgery and she is a Pomeranian.

The next morning the skin was much much less red and sore looking and she was not appearing to be in any pain on the night it looked raw or agitated by it at all and back to normal pink/white colour although I did rub in some coconut oil into the area from the wash the night before the next morning

I has almost cleared up the condition and the severity of the scaly flaky grey skin is dramatically reduced... but she id due for another wash with it tonight.

Cazeroon

Cazeroonasked

I have used Malaseb 2 times in 1 week and he now has little spots of missing hair and extremely red skin on his back. I used this because he obviously has allergy or dermatitis of some sort. He scratches and has hot spots.
Is there anything that is gentler?

Margaret

I think you need to take your pet to the vet, especially if he has "hot" spots, as heat indicates infection.

beckelljess

Yes! Malaseb caused extreme issues for our girl. Try PAW by blackmores Mediderm shampoo for when the skin is flared up and follow with nutriderm conditioner. When the skin is ok use the nutriderm shampoo with the nutriderm conditioner. This is the only shampoo on the market that does not upset our labs skin.

As for hot spots, shave the immediate area around them and use betadine. Betadine will not leave scaring and therefore will not effect the tegrowth of the hair.

Jillian Walker

You can clip around the infected area which is good to keep it clean and so which the air can get to the infected area.Wash with warm water and salt or get some product from your vet to really clean the area also wearing gloves to when cleaning just helps so your not spreading or contaminating the area which you can buy from your local Veterinary Clinic. Also using real manuka honey can help form a barrier hope that helps if not virst you're local Veterinary Clinic

Jill

Jillasked

Have any of your dogs came out in a rash after using this product?

beckelljess

yes every time! try PAW mediderm or nutriderm.

Margaret

No, mine haven't, but I suppose you could try an allergy test - on a small section. This did wonders for my little girl - she was so itchy she was biting holes in herself - now she is all better. I only had to use it twice. The first time was 80-90% better, by the second time couldn't even notice her skin problem and now her bite wounds have healed. I have sensitive skin and psoriasis and didn't even use gloves and it didn't affect me either.

Get an answer from our members and Dermcare-Vet representatives