Dometic Waeco CF-50

Dometic Waeco CF-50

MPN: CF50DZ

See the Best Portable Fridges / Freezers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Very good but not perfect

Purchased in March 2007 for $600.00.

Peter

PeterBrisbane

Good Camping Fridge

This was a birthday gift, as we go camping all year round and have for the last 30 years relied on ice and eskies. So first trip was a good test. I pre-cooled it overnight and stacked everything properly. I have an old ute which has a 120 Amp Hour 12 volt deep cycle battery, so power would not be an issue. It worked a treat, kept the food and drinks at a constant 3 degrees and had plenty of storage space. It came with a insulation blanket to keep it cooler in direct light, and we had 3 days of 29-33 degrees. So far I can recommend it.

Purchased in February 2019.

Lindsay

LindsaySouth East Queensland, QLD

Great Product - highly recommended

I bought my CF50 on sale for $699 at BCF. I have had it for over 18 mths and have been running it 24-7 - 50% on 12volt on 1 x solar panel & 1 x 120 amp battery in my caravan for weeks on end & 50% on 240v. Always maintains my preferred temperature -3 deg C and gets there fast, Best $699 I have ever spent.

Purchased in November 2017 at BCF Physical Store for $699.00.

Buy an Engel - What I should have done.

Barely lasted and the compressor went.
When it worked it would drain my 135Ah battery in 1 day. Not really acceptable when you're running off battery and solar power. Jump the fence, spend the coin and you won't be disappointed with an Engel. As they say, a poor man pays twice and I've learned my lesson with Waeco

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Waeko CR 50

Purchased in 2010 and have run it non stop as beee fridge at home and hooked up to battery in car for holidays. Finally bit the dust!!! I have had an excellent run with this portable fridge. Changed the fuse but it sparked up and it does not look good

Date PurchasedAug 2010

Linda Luna

Linda LunaBundaberg

A Positive Experience

Purchased the CF-50 49Litre in 2009. Used as fridge. Used in the household and traveling on the road. 12V in back of vehicle and 240v at caravan parks. Very sturdy, totally reliable, holds temperature well especially in our Australian hot and humid conditions. Easy to transport. Great love the brand

Date PurchasedApr 2009

When it works its fine

Does ok when it works, from day one ive had problems with this plastic fridge, was in the market for an Engel but was talked into one of these crappy units, waeco dont have after sales service or do they do their own repairs, they just send you to a agent where they rip you off by onselling and charging exhorbent ammounts of money for doing crap all, just been ripped of again $75 inspection $200 thermistor then a further $187 for pcb, then i was told the lid was broken. What an absolute farce, this will be the last $ i spend on this crap box and will be going back to engel. Of which i have had for over 30 years whithout a hitch still going strong.

Date PurchasedJan 2009

simon

simon

very poor fridge

the compressor failed and was repaired under warranty. the fridge goes into error mode when running through my invertor and must be hardwired to the battery. It has now failed again and the service agent has advised me that the gas is leaking and it is not possible to repair it as the leak is internal.
$1000+ for 2 weeks use a year over 6 years= very poor value.

Date PurchasedOct 2010
Gav

GavPerth

Unreliable and poor quality construction for the price.

Date PurchasedDec 2006

Great fridge when it has a decent controller fitted

Date PurchasedAug 2006

Musso-rific

Musso-rific

Been perfectly reliable, no complaints

Date PurchasedAug 2011

Waeco Power cords

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Robbo

RobboPerth, WA

Fantastic fridge

Bought my cf50 second hand off a mate for $500 7/8 years ago and was out of warranty.
This fridge has been everywhere and Iv chucked it in 4wd then shed and so forth hundreds of times and has never failed me.
I'm surprised people have had so much trouble with there's.

dissapointed

have a 50 litre waeco cf 50 5year old nothing but problems , and has got to the stage im not fixing it any more . very disappointing as was told it was the way to go . spent 200 on if 4 months ago now service agent says another 240 to spend on compressor controller 2nd hand part . engel here I come . I aknowledge it is out of warranty.

Unreliable

Get real and don't waste my time, bought CF50 for trip around Aussie, need to again have it fixed. Digital top selector is locked on 2, top lid has broken again, transformer has been replaced, Thompson power plug has failed and replaced all at my expense. Warranty- haha there isn't one. Guess what my neighbour has had same trouble.

Two CF50s and two bad experiences

My first Waeco failed just out of warranty. I took it to an authorised repairer at Cleveland who charged me $460 but they did not fix the problem. After many phone calls and arguments Waeco generously offered me a new fridge for $500. Total cost to me of $960 but they wanted the old one. My hands were tied!.
The replacement one is five months out of warranty and does not get cold. I have been told by a service agent that it will cost $600 to have fixed. Both fridges have had very little use and have been treated with Kidd gloves.
I would not recommend a Waeco. The product is doubtful and service is pathetic.

Larry HBendigo

I made the mistake of buying TWO!

Brendan

BrendanCanberra

Love our Waeco's

SjkPerth

Shuts down

It shuts down running on 12 volt where car is turned off run s well when car running or on 240 v very good

Sjk

Well it' is running well now on 12 v with car off battery world put in a 9w poly fuse fixed it runs well $130 fix

greg e

greg eredridge qld

WAECO, you owe me.

See all Dometic Waeco CF Series reviews

Alan Fowler

Alan Fowlerasked

Hi just purchased CF50 from Annaconda Store looked at the reviews and it seems this model is problematic is this why they are discounting these models if so I will be returning it and pay the extra dollar on the CFX model please advise me as I have not yet unboxed this unit

Keith
Keith

Hi Alan, I don't know all of the Waeco brands but my understanding is that the CF50 is, essentially, a baseline model. You can pay more and get bluetooth blah blah but I just want an on/off switch and an adjustable thermostat. I still have an old CF50 (approx 10 years) and had the common problem of the unit freezing but the thermo showing 60 degrees. Obviously not right. As it was an old fridge I was prepared to do minor surgery on the casing (as per Youtube) and replace the thermistor. Cost me about $60 and it is still going well in my laundry. I bought the "new" CF60 about 6 months ago but it is branded as a Kings. It was approx $600 with the external insulation skin included. It is basic but has worked well. Try to use Anderson plugs because the cigarette type move around on rough roads. All up, you get a basic product at a good price. By the way, I bought the Kings 60 litre because its dimensions suited the tub/canopy of my hilux. That was important to me but maybe not others.

good luck. Keith

TRB

TRBasked

I have a coolmatic CF 50 which has been in storage for about 4 years. I just tried to use it and even on the first bar on the controls it is freezing my beer. Any help?

Barry T.

Barry T.asked

Hi my 75ltr works ok on 240 but won't on 12V .There's 13:2v at input.will run on emergency but not on low cutout regard Baz

Get an answer from our members and Dometic representatives

CategoryPortable Fridges / Freezers