Dulux Aquanamel

Dulux Aquanamel

Gloss, Semi Gloss and Low Sheen

You have to learn from mistakes

I found trouble like others but did everyone follow the specks? I.e. useing precision max strenght primer underneath? I have spray doors on there flat using oil based primer then aquanamel. Looked great for about 10 mins before millions of tiny bubbles appeared. I still use the oil primer for its sandability to block flat then max strenght primer. I've been getting some flat finish with no orange peel almost like auto finish. I love it

Purchased in January 2019 at Dulux Trade Centre for $1.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted and Wood
Longevity

Bought a piano - a pianist? not quite

Contrary to the popular opinion about this paint, I'll say it is a good product. Not great but good.
In my opinion, Dulux Aquanamel shouldn't be made available to the public (that can vent out on this site) in generic retail shops like Bunnings, but should only be sold exclusively at trade centres to qualified and skilled tradesmen that know how to use it, so general public can hire the latter to see the fruits of their labour.
I will not recommend someone without extensive painting experience to touch it. Forget it, look elsewhere. Same applies to Taubmans Alkyd-based enamel. If you see these paints just hire someone to do it for you.
Buying a can of paint and a set of $5 brushes will not make one a painter qualified to talk about how 'terrible' this paint is - it is not.

Purchased in May 2019.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted
Longevity
Hi Pike, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on our Aquanamel Gloss paint. We appreciate your perspective, and are always here to help. If you (or anyone you know) have any questions around any of our products, we'd love to hear from you again - just give us a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2). – The Dulux Team.

Terrible Product

Totally useless if you are painting a door, it shows all paint strokes when you attempt to lay off
It results in a patchy door, I painted the door twice and it was still useless
Dries much to quickly to enable sections to blend
I will never use it again

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $30.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted

Disappointed

Very poor finish. Brush strokes and clots visible. Disappointed. I would not use this again.

Purchased in February 2019.

Hi Kieran We're sorry to hear about your experience with Dulux Aquanamel Gloss. We would like to learn more about your issue. If you can contact us on 132525 (option 2), our Help & Advice team can assist you. Please quote your reference number 206970 - The Dulux team

Awful results with many coats on both oil and water based primers

I used a water based stain blocker (2 coats on wood windows) then coats aquanamel. Finish was terrrinle, bleed through was bad. I sanded right back to bare wood, used an oil based primer (2 coats, looked great) then tried aquanamel. After 4 coats I gave up. Finish very patchy. Used same system on door frames, on the 3rd coat (see images). I. Am going to sand back, use oil based primer and oil based topcoat because the finish is. Much better with just one coat of topcoat. The consistency is flour and water, I think I’d get better coverage if I did use flour and water tbh.
Also layers ripped off when removing masking tap. Chipped v easily.

Purchased in April 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Painted SurfaceWood
Longevity
Hi Mannyjen This must have been frustrating for you, we're sorry you were disappointed in your results with Dulux Aquanamel Semi Gloss. We are happy though you achieved great results with Dulux Super Enamel Semi Gloss as your preferred finish. If you have any future projects ahead and need assistance please do not hesitate in contacting our Help & Advice Team on 13 25 25 (Option 2 ), and we will talk through the project and provide you with the best help and support. Please quote reference number 206591. - The Dulux TeamThanks for the response, the Dulux brand is one I trust and love, my father who was a painter by trade, never used any other paint. I am still a loyal user of Dulux however to my trims and wood I will stick with the oil based products from now on and leave aquanamel off my shopping list.

Best product

More durable, non yellowing and easier to apply than enamel and flows nicely when appling. I have used both enamel and aquanamel and this product is superior and surpasses the performance of enamel. Thank you Dulux. Used it for over 5 years now wouldnt use anything else.

Purchased in August 2018 for $81.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted and Wood
Longevity
Hi Lincoln Great to hear of your experiences with Dulux Aquanamel, if you have more projects in mind, call our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25, (option 2) who will be more than happy to assist you. Regards, The Dulux Team

Great results using this paint as normal

After having used aqua enamel in the past was surprised to read all the bad ratings.

This paint goes on well, providing you don't play with it too much. I used a 50mm brush with a quality foam roller and no issues. Having said that if you do over roll the paint, I noticed tiny bubbles in finish. Easily removed with light roll with no pressure.

Painted the bathroom in 3 hours - 2 coats as well. First coat dried in 2 hours as stated on tin.
My painting skill is pretty average and this paint made the task easy.

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $99.00.

Painted SurfacePlasterboard
Coverage
Hi Brett Great to hear of your experience with our Dulux Aquanamel Semi Gloss, if you have more projects in mind, please call our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25, who will be more than happy to assist. Regards The Dulux Team

Extremely thin and doesn’t cover.

I was recommended this paint at my local inspirations paint store and I wish I had looked into it before purchasing. After the first roll it was so thin I thought I hadn’t stirred it enough. Stirred it thoroughly and it made no difference. Three coats later and it’s patchy and still looks like it needs at least another three coats. Now reading the reviews it looks like I might have to cut my losses and go buy a different brand of paint. I’ve always thought dulux put out a great product, but this experience has severely damaged their reputation in my eyes. Absolute waste of time and money, steer clear.

Purchased in March 2019.

Coverage
Hi Matt We're sorry to hear that your experience with our product hasn't been so positive, we would like to further assist you if you can please contact our Help & Advice Team on 132525. Please quote your ticket number: 199100. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. – The Dulux Team

Just don’t

Had external windows repainted twice now, paint splits, peels and is thin. In forty years in the building industry I have never had finishes fail on a project. Rep came out to site advised it was poor prep the first time, painter brought back and stripped and sanded back to wood, primed and repainted, now 6 months later cracking and peeling again.
Know need to look for a new product and redo whole job again, paint jobs on my other projects have always lasted 15 years or more..

Purchased in April 2018 for $2,000.00.

Painted SurfaceWood
Longevity
Hi Neil we're sorry to hear that your experience with our product hasn't been so positive, we would like to further assist you if you can please contact our Help & Advice Team on 132525. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. Please quote Your Ticket Number: 186092 – The Dulux Team

Never use this paint

This paint is the worst paint I have ever used..my doors look patchy and unfinished despite the correct preparation. I did contact Dulux call centre to advise of the problem however even though they haven't seen the paint they used every excuse as to why it would be patchy..ie painting at the right temperature, using all Dulux products for prep etc...just admit you have produced an inferior product!!

Hi Kelly, we are sorry to see that you're not satisfied with the finish in your home, and we understand your frustration. We really do want to help! Please call our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2) and quote your ticket number 176817, or you can private message us with your details and we will call you as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you - The Dulux Team.

Dreadful product.

I recently used Dulux Aquanamel on kitchen cupboards after replacing the mdf doors. I thought it would give a more hard wearing finish than the acrylic I had used on the previously. The paint is peeling of around door handles and also joins in the wood work. Further patchy application on some doors when weather was warmer. Also painted the bathroom ceiling and the paint is peeling off.

Hi Loobiana We're sorry to hear about the issues you have been experiencing with Dulux Aquanamel, we would like to help you further. If you can please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525 (option 2) and quote this number, 171049. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. – The Dulux Team

Great paint but prep and application are critical

First used this paint to repaint my daughters doors and frames 5yrs ago. Paint still looks great today and is super hard wearing. Equally as good as oilbased but has not yellowed like oilbased will. Doing major renos at home now and find this paint is almost as good as oil based. Oil based is easier to apply and a little more forgiving but with proper prep and quick application this aquanamel is brilliant. Lightly sand surfaces, fill cracks, dents etc.. and sand again. Apply Dulux 1 step prep then sand again with 180- 240grit paper. Apply 2nd coat of 1 step prep sand again with 240 or up to 400grit. If required apply 3rd coat of 1 step prep (I did just because I'm fussy). Apply aquanamel and work quickly, avoid overworking the paint, best to use a small foam roller for speedy coverage. If required apply 2nd coat of aquanamel and you are all done. Good alternative to oil based and super easy clean up with less fumes and non yellowing.

Backwards Step Dulux

After highly recommended (from Bunnings) can’t get this product work. Dries to quickly, leaves brush strokes everywhere, hard to work with and totally sucks all round. This is my fifth attempt at using it and just can’t get it to work. A crap option for some minor environmental benefits. Doesn’t save anything environmentally when I have to sand it back and get another brand/type to resolve.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hi Victor Rosa, we understand your frustration. As mentioned in your other review, we would like to help. So if you can call us on 13 25 25, our team will be waiting to help. The Dulux team

Worst paint I have ever used.

I have painted a lot with Dulux paint previously and had great results. But even with proper prep this paint shows all brush marks and peels off. It dries too quickly and balls up. I will stick to oil based in future as it always gives a good result. A very expensive and time consuming disappointment!

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Its pretty awful

Im a high end painter of 13 years. Done ten years in the States and can tell you for me it causes trouble. It self levels too much and drips if it isnt super thin coating. It also dries to quickly causing balling on the finish stroke. I would be horrified to use it if i was a diyer. In my opinion the chemistry of the paint needs to be tweeked. For an ultra premium product it is really average. Sorry dulux up your game.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Followed all instructions, very poor adhesion, big time dissapointed

Recently decided on new carpets. Thought while the old ones are out, I'll paint the skirting boards and doors.
Followed the instructions to a tee - Wash, Sand, wash, and wipe.
Whilst the paint flows ok, and is easy to wash up, a month later, paint is peeling/scraping off with ease.
temperature was 14 degrees C which is only 4 above the minimum temp.

Really wish I had stuck with oil enamel. A known thing, rather then try a new paint type.

It is the worst paint I've ever used.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Julina, thank you for making us aware of your experience with Dulux Aquanamel. We have raised your case with our Help & Advice team under the Ticket Number: 111611. Upon first review, there are various factors which could contribute to the paint's performance. Cold temperatures will definitely affect the curing and therefore the maximum adhesion. Also, if the second coat was applied too soon then the 1st coat will be struggling to dry through properly. Again, low temps will require that the drying times be extended. So that we can help find a solution please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 and quote the ticket number above. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. We hope to hear from you soon - The Dulux Team.

I love this product but you need to know how to apply it properly.

Can achieve a beautiful finish but it’s definitely different than using oil enamel. You need a good quality brush, a light touch and avoid overworking the paint.
If you can get that right then you can enjoy the benefits of a beautiful finish, non yellowing, quick drying, far less toxic for painter, customer and environment!

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Worst paint I have ever used

Poor finish. Paint drys to quickly leaving brush marks even in perfect painting conditions. Difficult to use when cutting in. Will go back to using enamel paints even with the clean up hassles. Very expensive and a waste of money. With the years of experience I have I regret listening to advise from bunnings staff on this occasion.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Thought I loved it until it peeled and cracked

I wondered why it had such bad reviews. I thought it was a great product, especially being water based. Within a couple of months the waterproof one stained, cracked and looked awful. That's when I used enamel for the first time and realised how different the products were. Use oil based enamel where appropriate like doors and sills and trims

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Terrible Finish - Gloss Black

I did all the preparation correctly but this paint was a pain to use. The coverage was awful and drying left me with roller marks - even when thinned and laying off correctly. Now I am left with a 'patchy' door which requires sanding. Warning to others! stay clear of this product. " Can only recommend for painting a Dog House."

Date PurchasedMay 2018