Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel

Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel

Have had no problems at all.

I’ve used Dulux Epoxy Enamel in both brush on from cans and in spray packs. Never had any problems.Having said that though, it is important to avoid heavy thick coats in one go, as the drying time will be dramatically longer. Achieving complete colour change in one coat requires a very careful brush control, and requires a fine tapered bristle brush. For small items, I have some very fine bristle brushes purchased at the art supply store. I seldom have to go to two coats, unless I am painting something that is going to get a lot of knocks or abuse. Allow 8 to 24 hours drying time, and up to a week for full cure and hardness. This might seem excessive, but the resulting finish is worth it
Note that due to its very good flow characteristics, which gives the extremely glossy finish, also means that it will be thin on sharp edges, so try to sand these to a rounded edge first.
I usually undercoat with Dulux All Surface Metal Primer first, but note: this is an extremely fast drying primer, that means you will have to work fast to keep any semblance of a continuous ‘wet edge’. It does ‘flow out’ well to minimise brush marks, as long as you can work fast, so generally the finish is brush mark free. This primer sands well if you need perfection on some brushing overlaps. The Epoxy Enamel will only sand well after full cure.
Clean, well prepared substrate is essential if you wand a good result, but that is the same for all painting.

Purchased in January 2016 at Dulux, Bunnings.

Painted SurfaceMetal and Plastic
Longevity
Hi Dejayajay Thank you for sharing your positive experience with our product Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel. Great to read that your project was successful – The Dulux Team

OMG this is not paint

Refinishing powdered-coated security screen door with minimal surface rust....surface well prepared with Action Gel, rust remover and converter and sprayed promptly with Dulux Metalshield....it went on easily, was touch dry within 30min as described, and so resprayed in 2+ hours (ambient air temperature mid 20's)....2 days later a slight veil of rust/discolouration appearing on lower edge so rubbed it with a cotton tip dipped in methylated spirits, and the paint just wipes off revealing a quite rust/oxidized surface underneath, that had had zero rust before paint application....tested other parts of door and paint wipes off...had been very surprised at time of painting how easily accidental spray on my hand cleaned off. Grr shall now have to strip whole door and repaint but with a different product...certainly not suitable for purpose as advised by Bunnings' salesperson.

Purchased in April 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Longevity
Hi Lorraine We are sorry that you have experienced this issue, if you need any help with your project we are here to assist you, please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. Please quote Your Ticket Number: 203546 – The Dulux TeamThank you. I have now visited the local Dulux trade centre, and they were most helpful. Apparently, the advice I had received from Bunnings was mistaken, and I had needed a primer as I had thought, especially for preparing a powdered coated surface. The local Shepparton centre has offered to provide all the materials I need to complete the project for free. I shall now complete a test patch with the primer. Many thanks, Jo, Shepparton Dulux. Lorraine.

Great product

Absolutely stoked with the transformation of my kitchen after painting my existing brushed aluminum splashback from light brown to gloss red with Dulux Epoxy Enamel paint. I applied 2 coats, waiting the recommended time between coats. Taking time to ensure even coverage (I used a brush/roller) resulted in a great finish. A few hours work & less than a $50 impact on the budget & my kitchen has a new lease on life. Great product.

Purchased in October 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse for $35.00.

Coverage
Hi Claire, thank you for your feedback! It’s fantastic to hear that you’ve had a great experience with our product. Please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2) if you need any help or advice down the track – The Dulux Team.

It’s good paint... period.

Clean, sand, sand, wax and grease remove, 2 tac coats, two wet coats.

If you try for full coverage and plaster it on it will give you troubles. But then its your fault. Not the paint. There are a million YouTube videos teaching the ham fisted how to paint. But no, blame the paint.

The comments on here “I mean it’s paint and I’m a man, it should work because I can hold a brush or can right?”

This stuff is good paint. It’s tough and it lasts.

Purchased in June 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Great product.

I feel sorry for the Dulux rep having to be polite to all the know alls critiquing this product.

If you don't know what you are doing with industrial enamels then learn before commenting.

If you are complaining about finishing coat not hardening, then read the following.

*note that Strong base colours take longer to cure than white, light and mid.
*Top coat to heavy, therefore severe solvent trap may lead to weeks before full cure.
*Porosity of your surface will vary curing time as will ambient temperature.

You're dealing with a single pack enamel, not a two pack coating (which has a catalyst that turns the fluid into a solid after the pot life exceeds its work time). Therefore, Learn how to use it. Apply thin coats only. If you are using a dark colour then apply a dark grey etch primer; don't try a get full cover with one coat.

Proper qualified painters like myself should have no issues with this product.

Hi Shaun Thank you for the feedback and great to hear that you have had a good experience with this product. The Dulux Team.

Paint takes too long to dry. Metalshield premium "0" stars

I recently painted 150mm round carport poles with Dulux metalshield epoxy enamel. Surface was well prepared and first coat applied. The finish looked great the first day but then started to wrinkle and overnight 75% of surface went wrinkly. The weather conditions were low to mid 30's and sunny with night temps 28/29degs. I had to wait a month before this paint was hard enough to sand and apply a second coat which was dissapointing as the paint was still soft and clogged the sanding pads, making sanding difficult. This was in Broome during dry season, it must take 6 months or more to harden in normal Australian cities. For my next project, guy at Bunnings sold me Dulux Metalshield Premium, saying it is much better. NOT SO!! This must be the crappest paint anyone has ever made. It is virtually impossible to apply straight out of the tin. I ended up adding 4x the amount of thinner than what is recommended on can and it still looks like it has been applied with a broken stick or one of those serrated tools you apply tile glue with. I was using a professonal long haired natural bristle brush to apply the paint and it simply will not smooth out no matter how gentle you brush it. Temperature was 22deg and partially sunny when I was applying that paint. My son calls it the driftwood finish. It is also more like satin than gloss! This is the worst paint I have ever used and would advise everyone to steer clear of it.

Hi Gav, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we’d like to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 176798, or you can private message us with your details and we will call you as soon as possible. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The Dulux Team.

Painted tandem Trailer, all good

I purchased Dulux Metalshield Epoxy after removing much acrylic paint. I used both 1 litre can with thinners as well as 300 gm spray cans for difficult areas.

All worked very well, sprayed at 25 degrees, temperature was 40 degrees during the day after first coat, so a baking in the garage was perfect. Second coat was at 23 degrees.

Love the spray pattern and coverage off the spray cans.
* Do not spray in low temps or the paint will "blush" and go white.
* Do not spray or apply too thick or you will get "Don Bradmans" ( Runs)

Love the Dulux paint

Hi B1rd1e, great to hear of your positive experiences with Dulux Metalshield Epoxy. If you need any further advice on your future projects please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. – The Dulux Team

Should have read the reviews before purchase.

Spent hours preparing and restoring some vintage tools and used a spray can of Dulux Metalshield to paint them.
Have successfully used another brand of hammer finish paint many times before but that brand did not have the colour I wanted.
The Dulux went on easily enough and looked good, but 5 days later it still had not cured and came off the edges just from sitting the tools on a bench.
Worst paint product that I have purchased.
Shame on a company like Dulux producing such a poor product.

Hi ozziedoc, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. If you would like to contact our Help&Advice team on 13 25 25 and discuss your project more thoroughly with our team, they will be more than willing to help. Regards, the team at Dulux.

Best "one shot" spray.

Used the Dulux Weathershield Epoxy spray cans in Gloss black on classic motorbike frame, dried overnight between coats. Found 2 coats gave a great finish and touch-up after power unit to frame assembly was easy.
Now using same product on another restoration, also great result.

Hi Daz, Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Dulux Metalshield Epoxy spray. Love that you had a fantastic experience. If you need any help with future projects, feel free to contact our Help&Advice team on 13 25 25 who will be more than willing to assist. Regards, the team at Dulux.

Will not harden

Applied as per directions on bare steel which was first cleaned and etch primed and cleaned again prior to application of Dulux Metalshield in a spray can. After 5 warm sunny days with a breeze the product has failed to harden and although touch dry can easily be moved with a fingernail. It was my first time using this product and will never again. Unable to finish project as paint will easily be damaged on reassembly. Total waste of time and money.

Hi Stewart, We're sorry hear about your experience Dulux Metalshield Epoxy spray. If you would like to contact our Help&Advice team on 13 25 25, they will be more than willing to listen and understand the concerns of your project and deliver helpful advice. Regards, the team at Dulux.

Not worth the money

I bought the black satin dulux metal shield to paint the wrought iron on my front balcony. The paint is quite thick but goes on streaky and it’s been 7 days so far and the paint has not set properly. The paint can be scratched of with a fingernail. I live in Queensland so the days are very sunny and getting quite warm/hot, the nights however are still a bit cold and the damp night air is making the paint turn white. Very disappointed. My next project is to paint my weatherboard house, I will not be purchasing any Dulux paint for any further painting projects!

Very poor finish

New duragal steel, aged about 2 months, sanded, cleaned, then 2 coats of etch primer. First coat of Metalshield went on okay, but the second coat, applied 24 hours later as stated, looked like it was going on okay, but the next day has weird flow lines or something in the finish, it looks absolutely terrible. This is what I get for changing from Kilrust which has been superb.

Hi Paul, Thank you for your feedback. Could you please contact our Help&Advice team on 13 25 25, they will be more than willing to provide feedback on your project. Regards, the team at Dulux.

Wont brush out

Purchased paint and painted on new steel having first cleaned surface.
Temp 20 deg celsius 45 percent rh.
Paint did not flow well on surface and had poor coverage. Paint started to sag on vertical surface. Could not brush out smooth. Rang Dulux. Said problem was with preparation.
Problem is with the product.
Must be something wrong with the flow characteristics fillers and carriers in the paint.
Would not use ...a poor expensive paint.

6 days later...

checked the 1 metre or so of metal beam I painted and paint is still soft and gooey have had several sunny days 21 deg C.. surface temperature of beam 28degC. something wrong with this paint.
Painted part of my tractor yesterday with another brand of epoxy enamel, checked late today (24 hrs) and is hard as.!!

Hi Dan, thank you for leaving your review regarding your experience with Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel. We'd like to help you further with this issue and require some more information and details of the product used. Oil based enamels normally flow and level fairly well as they are slow drying and you have more time to work with them. Please contact our help & advice team and quote the ticket number 138983. With more information we hope to resolve the issue you're facing. We look forward to hearing from you - The Dulux Team.Thanks, We have been dealing with paint and pigments for over 30 years as it is part of our profession, in fact we studied paint materials for over 4 years academically. Our enquiry to Dulux customer service was unsatisfactory as with other complaints here, we were told it was preparation or our fault. Clearly the Metalshield product is a poor product and should be withdrawn from sale until corrections are made to the formula so it performs as advertised. All procedures were followed as per tin instructions, re temperature and relative humidity. The metal beam/surface was clean and dry. for the paint not to have dried in a reasonable time (6 days at 20-25 deg C) suggests problem with both carrier and driers in the formulation. One only variable is that the paint was manufactured 10 months ago (date on bottom of tin) Dulux may advise if that is the cause of the problem? The two products we used on our tractor on the same day (different jobs) which proved to be very good to excellent were ZINC Black manufactured by Wholesale Chemical company Queensland a epoxy style gloss enamel. This applied very well, excellent depth of colour and coverage and was dry hard in 24 hours. cost $9.00 400g. The second product which produces good results is the lowest in cost at $2.50, 250g can Motortech premium spray enamel by MMP Industrial. Not the hardest paint film on drying (24 hrs) but superior to our experience with Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel. I will be trying to return the Dulux product to Home Hardware today for a refund based on the product not performing to what is advised on the tin. I did note that the Home Hardware only had a few tins on the shelf and the shop manager was keen on getting it off the shelf.... probably says something??So... went to Home Hardware, spoke to attendant who was very nice but did not think product was poor, she rang Dulux, ...Dulux said the paint was not at fault and was probably due to cold weather why it had not gone hard in 10 days, said it can take 2-3 weeks at 20degC. Also said should go on a primer first. I pointed out that on the can it says touch dry in 4 hours and dry in 24 hrs. I also pointed out that on the can it says no primer required. Also pointed out that they should put on can that it takes up to 3 weeks to dry. I suggested that they would not sell a single can if the consumer knew this. After some time I was able to get a refund, due to Home Hardware being kind.. not Dulux. I purchased in store Wattyl rust kill gloss epoxy enamel. ($85.00 4 litres) Painted that afternoon, paint flowed very well from the brush, excellent coverage, no sags or blemishes, and was touch dry in 6 hours. Checked today (28hrs later) and paint is quite hard. my guess another two days and it would be what you expect from an enamel paint, dry and hard film. So , something is wrong with the Dulux Metalshield paint, don't buy it

Very Useful Spray Pack

This spray pack product is easy to use and gives a high quality finish. It seems to resist running and results in a hard finish. Given its epoxy-based formula, I would expect it to be very durable. i was very happy with this product. I find it easier to use than Dulux regular spray packs because it resists running better. The only downside is a longer drying time.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Hi John, Dulux team here, thank you for the feedback and great to hear that you had a great experience with this product. Please contact us on 13 25 25 if you need any support down the track. Regards, the team at Dulux.

Leaking cans

This is the 2nd time I've used this product and the 2nd time the cans just spontaneously start gushing paint from the top. Very messy, very hard to clean up. I see someone else on here with the same problem. I've never had this occur with any other branded spray can. Clearly a Dulux design problem.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Bob, Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. Could you please contact our Help&Advice team on 13 25 25, they will be more than willing to help and offer any solutions moving forward. The Dulux Team.

painted my caravan it worked great

I used this on my caravan and it worked a treat left an awesome shine I did all the prep and sprayed it on. The coverage is good it only took 2 coats to get the cover I wanted and it hardened in 2 days (that is a bit long) but I didn't bake it as I did it in my garage

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi Chad, Great to hear your caravan transformation worked out! And thank you for the positive feedback! The team at Dulux.

I havent used this product yet

I bought the etcher and primer costing me $200 from bunnings . I pulled down all my verandah steel balastrades to paint tommorow . After reading all these reviews im going to bunnings tommorow morning to buy another brand . Nothing worse than wasting your time painting steel gates for nothing and losing $200 at the same time

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Omar, Before you return the Metalshield Etch Primer, perhaps call our Help&Advice team on 13 25 25 to discuss your project with our team. They will be more than willing to help and provide insightful feedback. All the best, the team at Dulux.

Waste of money

Does not stick thin coats run and multiple coats can still see metal first can only got to use half before can stuffed up $20 in paint and $200 to strip twice and start again had better results from cheap paint would not recommend to any one was terrible to use

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Jason, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Could you please contact our Help&Advice team pm 13 25 25 and quote CARE #102446? Our team are here to help. Regards, The Dulux Team.

Poor product! Does not harden, even after Dulux has been told about this!!!.

Hello, I have been painting since the seventies.
I have restored two motor cars, one motor cycle and assisted in the re-spraying of an aircraft.
That does not make me a professional painter, but it is safe to say I have had some painting experience.

Last week I paint stripped our mild steel screen door to bare metal.
I then primed it with Rust Guard SLS Etch Primer and must add I was very impressed at how easy it was to spray, and once dry, how good it’s adhesion properties were.

The following day I applied a single thick coat of Dulux Metal Shield Epoxy Enamel straight out of the tin.
I used no thinners, and sprayed one side of the door. The following day I did the same to the other side.

I then discovered the enamel’s poor reputation on this site, and thus allowed the paint to dry for four days, with one full day in the sun.

After all this time, when fitting the lock and handle, I found the paint was still nearly as soft as putty and was squeezed out between the lock and handle plate when fastened.

Given the high prices I have been paying for the so called superior Dulux products, I shall on principal no longer use this brand as they are clearly not as superior as claimed and not to be trusted.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Sugarplumb, Thank you for taking the time to write the review and we're sorry to hear of your experience. We do not recommend mixing our paint technologies with other brands, our products should be applied in a system. Would you please be able to contact our Help&Advice team on 13 25 25, and quote CARE #102226, they will be willing to help and understand what has happened. Regards, The Dulux Team.

Spray cans the worst

The product itself I'm happy with. But, half way through the can and it starts leaking, has this problem with 3 out of 7 cans, very frustrating. This has left droplets of paint over floor and other areas I didn't want paint on. The paint itself seems to be good with a good finish, except the leaking can.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Hi Sprayed a raw aluminium gate with Metalshield epoxy enamel after cleaning with Acetyline then sugarsoap wiped down with dry rags and let dry overnight.First coat good looking and left for 24 hrs as per instructions on can.Second coat also looking good however 1hr later crinkles appeared everywhere on job. Any tips on what went wrong?Regards Russell

Hey, just wanna know i used this paint to respray my pre painted car. Is that suitable for my car. If yes, how long it may take to dry up properly. Thanks
Hi Sandhu Thank you for submitting your enquiry, Metalshield Epoxy Enamel is not recommended for your application on a vehicle. Metalshield Epoxy is more of a decorative house paint. For any further enquiries, please contact our Dulux Auto Refinish and Industrial Coatings on 1800 810 114. Cheers, Dulux AustraliaIt is WHOLLY UNACCEPTABLE for Dulux to wriggle out of complaints by saying - 'Oh, we do not recommend our paints for this or that'. With the number of excuses and exceptions Dulux have given here, it appears that the paint is not suitable for anything at all! And why did they not bother to tell us at the outset? Its meant to be good for what it says on the tin! A big bad dent on the paint brand of Dulux!

How long does it take to fully cure/harden?
I usually assemble other parts onto the painted metal a few days to a week after painting and find the finish quite durable at that time. I've also found the longer you leave it the more durable it becomes. When doing restoration work, painted parts might sit around for weeks before the next parts are ready, so it's hard to determine exactly how long it takes to be "fully" cured.I left it for several days to cure.I found that the Metalshield Epoxy (red in a spray can) eventually cured enough after 7 days in high 20's temperature to be resistant to fingernail scratching. I expect it will continue to harden over the next few weeks to be quite durable. It does look good though, nice and glossy. I tested some overspray of the Metalshield Hammer Finish (blue in spray can) at the same 7 days and the thin coated areas were similarly hard but the thicker areas were still soft. Spots where I inverted the can to clear the nozzle could easily be lifted with a fingernail.This was on metal that had been exposed outside to full sun at up to 30 degrees for 7 days so that's not so good. I do still expect it to harden over the next few weeks. Both finishes are very sensitive to handling for the first few days. If you lay them down especially on paper or a cloth even though they seem touch dry, the finish will stick and need to be recoated. The parts need to be suspended in some way to obtain a nice result. Dulux should have given a heads up about this. Hate to try this in winter.