Dulux Weathershield

Not happy

Never again, tinted green dulux weathershield. Retailer replaced tin for a factory tinted can .no better cut my losses and bought a diffrent brand. extra expense and tripple the work. at least diffrent brand hasn't peeled off like glad wrap.

Purchased in March 2019 at I.t.s. timber and hardware. Georgetown tas for $95.00.

Hi Keith We're sorry to hear that your experience with our product hasn't been so positive, we would like to further assist you if you can please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525 (option 2). Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. Please quote Your Ticket Number: 203273 – The Dulux Team

Sticky

Dries too quick and remains soft for a long time. Does not flow nicely. And tne colour (green) seperates even while regularly stirring. Disappointing product. Used to be my favourite paint.

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Painted SurfaceWood
Usage
Finish Quality
Ease of Application
Coverage
Longevity
Hi Wino We are disappointed that you have experienced this issue with our Weathershield Gloss Acrylic, we are here to help you, please contact our Help & Advice Team on 132525 and quote this number 199109. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. – The Dulux Team

Both great and terrible

Painted H3 CCA treated pine posts with Weathershield in Shale Grey. Worked great and paint dried into the timber quickly. No dripping, not tacky, Just as you'd expect.

Next part of the job was painting H3 LOSP treated and primed (pink primed) timber in Monument. Now this was a different story. The paint effectively formed a skin around the timber and just stayed tacky to the touch. Placing two bits of timber on top of each other resulted in adhesion, even after a day, and in pulling them apart, resulted in the paint tearing off. You could have just peeled the paint off and you'd never have know it had been painted.

Luckily, the latter timbers are going in an area out of reach and far enough away from eye line but clearly this paint is not suitable in all circumstances so test first!

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Painted SurfaceWood
Usage
Finish Quality
Ease of Application
Coverage
Hi Ressler, We're sorry to hear that your experience with our product hasn't been so positive, we would like to further assist you if you can please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525 option 2. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. Please quote Your Ticket Number: 192611 – The DuluxTeam

False claims with warranty

I had my home painted professionally using the dulux product and within 1 month the paint started to bubble and peel away from the walls. Asked the Dulux rep to have a look and they claim the product is fine and it is normal to bubble when in direct sunlight. As for the warranty they wont cover anything as they claim there product was applied properly. I now have to pay another painter to fix the issue. Please don't get caught out with this product like I did.

Awful

I am extending my timber cottage, there was painted by a professional painter 4 years ago. I bought the same paint from same shop to match but the colour very different when sun hit the wall.
The paint is still not dry after 2 weeks. Oily, sticky substance on surface when sun out.
I have painted the walls, balustrades and poles but can not finish my job.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Well I pained house 2 yrs ago it's faded new it's look horrible

I am painter, I painted house 2 year ago in 47 raven street comp hill qld one side house on sun side look faded. I call dulux I hope the gat to ma asap, if derby base not good please advise the trad or builder to avoid all this issue. Thanks!

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Looks great

Just painted my Campervan with this paint. The guy at Bunnings recommended it to me and I am very happy with it so far. Had trouble initially with the spray gun but after ringing Bunnings who told me to add 2 litres of water with it to thin it down, everything then went smoothly. A couple of runs, but that was my lack of experience. I would definitely use Dulux weathershield again.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

According to the Dulux lab technicians, Weathershield, will not adhere to PINE

So if you look at any of my other reviews on their products and with the Dulux company as a whole you will see the trouble I have gone through with their exterior products.

This whole ordeal has cost me around $4000 in materials and labour which may not seem like a lot, but when you have a family including 4 children and have saved hard to do upgrades to your house, it is.

Back story... https://youtu.be/OOeHuSZ71wQ

My issue was choosing their product over any of the others.
We painted the trusses of the pergola we were building and as you can see from that video, the results are less than ideal to put it mildly.

The only thing worse than that result was the Dulux Customer Service team.
The paint bubbled no matter what method was used that Dulux apparently always recommend (except on their web pages, product or their sales reps).

But they didn't want to hear anything other than it was not their fault.
Having raised these issues through Dulux and Bunnings finally getting them to send out someone to take samples we got a result.
This was the email back from Bunnings to my tradie after Dulux decided to stop all contact with myself.

"the issues you are experiencing are due to a natural characteristic of the timber. The yellow crystal like substance is causing the adhesion issues with the paint, this is not a fault of the product, but a natural characteristic as timber is a natural product"

They are saying that their own paint cannot adhere to pine because of one of its natural characteristics... That would be a handy piece of information to have on their website or their labels. Even their sales reps who happened to be at Bunnings while the paint was being purchased didn't mention this when we queried them before purchasing.

There was an offer of $2000 and a Bunnings gift card of $500 as a "goodwill" gesture which we refused as that only covered the materials, not the extra labour costs nor the amount of time wasted, plans that had to be changed and leave I took to get this job done.

The paint test we did using one of their much cheaper rivals which I have done a review of and it worked perfectly without any prep work. It sustained multiple 40+ days that melted roads whereas the Weathershield "premium" product had issues at 24 degrees after being left to cure in a garage for almost a week and being applied using a prep process NO ONE in their right mind would go through.

At the time other brand we tested was around the $53 mark for 4L vs Dulux $91 mark for 4L. The results speak for themselves.

I will never use their products, nor any of their umbrella company products and neither will any of my friends, tradies, family and acquaintances. In fact we recently underwent a refurb at work and painted 2 floors of our office, after discussing with building management convinced them NOT to use Dulux which they would normally do.

As they have failed to get back to me and try to resolve this properly, not to mention the fact they have broken consumer laws, we will be taking this matter further.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Bit of a follow up. Bunnings nor Dulux would front up or even admit fault and we are still going to take them to VCAT as a start. The only reason we haven't yet is because my tradie has been working long hours to make up for the amount of work he lost because he had to help me out trying to get this done, turning away jobs at the time. So I have not been able to lodge the application as we need to sit down and go through all of the quotes, emails, receipts together. In the meantime all I have to show for this is a now faded deck and a couple of large posts where the timber was meant to be attached to. Everyone should note and take into consideration when using their external products this:: Dulux have admitted that their is an issue with their weathershield product adhering to Pine, this is fact, yet they will not do anything about it. They will not put it on any of their product information, website etc. This is misleading when they and Bunnings staff are still recommending this product with pine. In the meantime of course, Dulux have banned me from their Facebook page when asking them questions and stating the facts so far (eventually they did, had to give them advice on how to do it as they were unsuccessful on a few attempts). Funny how bringing this up in a public arena made them delete all the posts asking for help with pictures of what was happening. So we will see what happens soon enough.

weathershield paint for weatherboards is the best ont he market

I painted houses for 20 years of my life but when I came to my own home 25 to 30 years ago in the 1990s I pressure washed the house scraped it off with a steel scraper then gave it a good sand with a orbital sander knowing from experience if I prepared the base then the top coat would last nearly forever . we then spot touched up with deluxe X10 and gave it 3 further coats we didn't use any other paint or primer . the X10 lasted 20 to 30 years before the bad paint under the x10 and rot on the boards started to give a little trouble on the north and west face of the house . we pressure washed and scraped the worse of the paint off and gave the house a touch up again then gave it 3 coats of weather shield low sheen and I fully expect never to have to do it again in the next 25 to 30 years and I have had no problems doing touch ups where when the paints been damaged. i have had no trouble with peeling and i see no reason why you would sand it . if you get runs its because you haven't applied it properly .if you have any other trouble with this paint its you not the paint its you that's made a mistake or applied it in bad conditions . its pretty much fool proof too so I read these comments and wonder how on earth can you mess this up ?????. read the instructions or go do a night course or at least learn what your doing and you'll have no problems and never have to do it again . if you get it on your windows use a razor type blade to scrape and trim the excess paint you cant expect to use masking tape on this sort of paint . one of the reasons this paints so good is because its like plastic or powder coating for your wood . after doing painting for half my life id never waste my time using any other paint . I always laugh seeing my neighbours repainting their houses every few years because they cheaped out on the paint .use the best and do your self a favour read the instructions or pay a professional and it will last a life time .

Date PurchasedNov 2017

bad, bad, bad!!!!

This paint is unbelievably bad!! I tried to remove the masking tape after painting the walls and it came off in SHEETS with the masking tape, in addition to this when I tried to sand it to patch it only made it worse and formed little rubber balls of paint and it could not be sanded. The only thing I could do in the end was to plaster the ripped areas of pain, t sand back and paint again. This was a poor fix as in some areas it still showed but the whole house could not be stripped of paint even though some walls were!!! This also happened to any area of the wall that was accidently knocked and paint removed. Despite adding drying retardants the paint was gluggy, thick and drippy and did not blend well. This paint was put on over an undercoat as suggested by Dulux on properly prepared walls and frames but did not make one bit of difference to the adherence of the paint. Some walls were newly plastered and some walls had been previously painted but it made no difference to the outcome. Do not use this product!!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Poor quality paint

I bought paint at the Penticton store for aluminum siding on the exterior of my house. The label on the can states you can apply it to metal surfaces. The paint is watery thin and did not cover well. I had to use 5 coats and the colour was not what it was supposed to be. When I called the store they wouldn't take the remainder of the paint back. I have never used such poor quality paint before.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

The Worst Paint Ever!!!

This is the worst paint that i have ever used. We have just renovated two decks in wich we used weathershield for all the PRE PRIMED Timber balustrading. We called dulux to ask for the correct application just to confirm...The lady told us to sand back the PRE PRIMED timber, yes thats right she said to sand the factory prime coat off and then undercoat. Once finished the paint peeled everywhere. Not only the worst customer service/advice but the actual dulux product is beyond shocking!!!!!!!! Never recommend dulux again. Taubmans, wattyl or resen is a much better option.

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi Bruce, Team Dulux here. Thank you for this note and we are sorry to hear of your experience with our products and your paint project. Are you able to speak further to our help and advice team on 13 25 25? They would like to work through your issue to help you complete the project and as such, we have lodged a CARE reference number (#4538140). Please quote this number when speaking to our team. If possible, we'd love to hear any follow up or feedback on the resolution of your query here. Thank you

Run,run,run,sticky,sticky,sticky

Hi there, been a professional painter for 30 years and never have i had so many problems with a paint. Spraying corrugated iron as i have done many times before and it was like applying glue. It was tacky and ran, ran, ran. I understand that Extra Bright base can be bit stickier and harder to apply but this was just unacceptable in anyones terms. Sorry havent had this many problems with a paint for many many years

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Hi Jon, Dulux here. Thank you for the feedback and it is disappointing to hear that you have had that experience with this product. We would like to find out more from you Jon and as such have lodged a Dulux Care reference for you (0004526460). If you have a moment would you kindly contact our customer service team on 132525 (option 2) so that we can assist you with this project? Regards, Team Dulux.

Know your product befor you use it

I'm a professional painter who has been using Dulux products for years. Weather shield is a world leader in durability. It's very flexible and without damage will protect a surface for around 10 years. Yes it will fade, and yes if painted in direct sunlight on a hot surface it will go stringy and be difficult to use. It is not designed to be used for your front door, table top, pathway etc etc. it's use is the exterior walls, windows, gutters & fascias. Even the roof. It will appear "tacky" or rubbery due to its construction (it doesn't go hard). If the weather is hot add a small amount of hot weather thinners and read the side of the can, download the data sheet on the product, don't use if the air and/or surface temperature is below 10c or above 30c. Dulux is expensive but in the long run if used properly it will do its job. If you don't know the how, what and why, your going to stuff it up with any product. I've used them all, and I always go back to Dulux. Sometimes the client supplies the paint and often I'm surprised at the rubbish that is on the market.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hi Cam, Dulux team here, thanks for the note and great to hear that you continue to enjoy this product. Please contact us on 132525 if you need any support down the track. Best regards.

No guarantee at all on colour fading

House in Sydney painted with Weathershield in Nile Clay In about 2012 on to new surface, noticed at about 2 years the front of house (facing in a Northerly direction) had obvious signs of fading, 3 years on it looks terrible. Called Dulux, told me no guarantee against fading. Very surprised that this product has failed so soon. I would expect and except some degree of fading over many years, But this is ridiculous. At this rate will need to be repainted every 3-4 years at great cost and inconvenience. There response was to paint in light pastel colours, seems to me they have acknowledged problems with fading but don't what address it, don't seem to want stand behind their products. Paid a premium price for a so called premium product so I would not have problems like this, very disappointed and not happy.

Date PurchasedApr 2012
Hi Andrew, All colours will experience a degree of colour fading over time and agree that your experience has been rather short. In general, darker colours, especially off a Deep base can experience more accelerated colour fading in some instances vs. a White base. We would like to hear more about your project as there are also other factors including environmental and surface preparation that can impact colour durability. Please contact us on 132525 between 7:30am to 7pm Eastern Standard Time on weekdays, 8:30am to 3pm on Saturdays and 10am to 4pm on Sundays and quote CARE No. 4505600. Dulux

Good paint with a great finish.

Very satisfied with product and is easy to apply providing you dont play with it.Brush it on using a good quality brush and undercoat first .Preparation is vital to get a good result.Make sure you dont apply in direct sun or in warm weather.Dark colors can leave water marks after tain but they dry offok.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Thanks for the feedback Jack. Best wishes for the remainder of your project. Team Dulux.

This Paint is terrible

I have done a lot of painting over the years and never before have I had a problem like this. We had had a new front door installed and wanted it to be particularly good and as I had always been happy with Dulux products, I purchased the Deluxe Weathershield Gloss paint for the job. I used a good quality undercoat first then next day painted the door. The day was warm but not particularly hot but the paint went on like treacle. I painted the horizontal panels between the glass first then when I went to paint the vertical panels the paint seemed to rubberise and drag across where the horizontal panels met the vertical ones. I then walked away from the job. The next day I tried to rub it down and the paint came off in little rubber balls and wouldn't feather at all. I eventually got it sanded to my satisfaction and waited for a cooler day to try again. The same thing happened. The (rather expensive) door is now rubbed down again but I will never be tempted to paint anything with this paint again. What made things worse is that I had to cut in the paint around all the glass panels which was a time consuming and fiddly job which will now have to be done for the third time.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Jan, Thanks for the note and that does seem very unusual so we would like to speak with you further. Please contact 13 25 25 to speak directly with Dulux customer service.

duluxweathershieldgloss chromamax

I have painted a surface over a week ago and it is still tacky.I used a three in one primer before the top coats.I LEFT THE FIRST COAT 4 HOURS BEFORE RECOATING.
Your technical expert says it could take up to 4 weeks to harden in humid weather.The weather is humid but I have never had this problem with any paint.
The colour is licorice green which has a blue tint.
If a dark colour is not suitable for humid weather I would think that the customer should be advised before purchasing
I have been a dulux customer for ever and use aquanamel in gloss and high gloss regularly with no problems.
I don't know where to go from here
greg cameron

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi Greg, This is team Dulux here. Thanks for your note and please contact us to discuss in depth as we'd like to talk through your painting experience. Yes, weather conditions will always play a role in the dry time and you are correct that different colours are more suited to different geographic conditions. Colour selection is sometimes quite a difficult experience to navigate but we would love to walk you through this over the phone if that suits? Please contact our team on 13 25 25. Thanksthe paint is still tacky###I have been waiting to speak to dulux for quite awhile.got thru eventually and have been on tto an expert who said the product was not meant for tables and is meant to stay tacky.i was advised to sand this paint and use aquanamel.more money.i am very disappointed with DULUX and there attitude.they say I should approach Bunnings as they sold me the paint.!!!!!

Can get a good finish if you work at it

I used weathershield to repaint my sectional tilt a door. Firstly i checked to whether the original paint was water based or oil based. You cannot use this paint if previous coat was oil based. 2nd step was to thoroughly clean the old surface with sugar soap then completely clean with gurni high pressure cleaner (any pressure cleaner will do). Using a paint brush is not the best. Using a 12mm nap microfibre roller cover the paint rolls on very well. Same process for dulux aquanamel. If the weather is hot the paint dries quickly and if you over work it, it will tear up. Leave 2 hours between coats and its all good. My tilt a door now looks better than new. Good result with this paint. After it cures the surface is very good.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi, Dulux team here. Thanks for your review and great to hear of your experience with Weathershield. Please contact us at any time if you need support or advice with your painting and decorating journey.

Please be aware

The highest rated painters by Dulux for quality work applied Dulux Weathershield on the exterior timbers of my house four years ago. At this moment a different painter is scraping off the cracking paint before sealing with a primer and reapplying Weathershield. Four years only. What more could I have done? Dulux advertises a fifteen year guarantee on their web site, I used their Gold winning painter at higher than other quotes, and their best product. I am at a loss as to what else I could have done to ensure quality work.

Date PurchasedNov 2012
Dear customer, Thank you for your feedback. There are a couple of reasons why cracking can occur. This could range from the surface/substrate and what preparation was done prior to application, to how the product was applied. We would like to get more details from you so an appropriate solution can be provided. Could you please contact our Customer Service team on 13 25 25, option 2 and quote number 4433480.I certainly will. As the work was done by a painter recommended on your website as a Dulux Gold Award winner, you can understand my disappointment.